• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Survive devs sneak in a message to Konami

There is only one save slot in the game period, what you can buy is another avatar, however this avatar just resumes from the same save game.
You basically have to grind your way back up because resources aren't shared between.

Even if you delete your main avatar, the game save never gets replaced unless you manually remove it from the folder.

ilfait

anyone who curses konami and says that they ruined Metal Gear is just jumping on the hate wagon and has no idea what's going on

guys please understand that Metal Gear Survive is NOT METAL GEAR SOLID 6, konami has yet to prove themselves, do you remember the awful Resident evil game that was umbrella corps ?? it got 38 from Metacritic, it was a spin-off, just like Metal Gear Survive, it meant nothing, then less than a year we got the masterpiece, the true revival of the series that was loved all around the world from true fans, that was Resident evil 7 and it wasn't made by Shenji mikami

so please don't jump on the hate wagon and assume that Metal Gear series is dead because of a spin-off, if MGS 6 turns out to be as awful as the spin-off then you can say the series is dead, but until then, Konami will keep us waiting

You lost me at this point

5xljawa.gif

Last edited:

Bolivar687

Banned
anyone who curses konami and says that they ruined Metal Gear is just jumping on the hate wagon and has no idea what's going on

guys please understand that Metal Gear Survive is NOT METAL GEAR SOLID 6, konami has yet to prove themselves, do you remember the awful Resident evil game that was umbrella corps ?? it got 38 from Metacritic, it was a spin-off, just like Metal Gear Survive, it meant nothing, then less than a year we got the masterpiece, the true revival of the series that was loved all around the world from true fans, that was Resident evil 7 and it wasn't made by Shenji mikami

so please don't jump on the hate wagon and assume that Metal Gear series is dead because of a spin-off, if MGS 6 turns out to be as awful as the spin-off then you can say the series is dead, but until then, Konami will keep us waiting

I'll agree that I think the potential is there for another Tactical Espionage Operations MGS. You don't need Kojima when they have the whole foundation for it, they basically just need to make and populate bases. You don't even need the crazy dynamic scenarios from the Phantom Pain because I'm willing to pay just to get more of that experience.

The gameplay was just that damn good.

BANGS

Banned
..... It's not semantics, did you just choose to ignore my post?
The one where you said we have to pay for a separate character that doesn't share resources with your other character? Sooo... essentially what any other game would just call a 2nd save slot?

You're being extremely dense on purpose.
Let me spell it out for you in a way you can comprehend.

THERE.IS.ONLY.1.SAVEGAME.REGARDLESS.OF.THE.AMOUNT.OF.AVATARS.
THIS.SLOT.CANNOT.BE.OVERWRITTEN.OR.DELETED.INGAME.
EVEN.IF.YOU.DELETE.ALL.YOUR.AVATARS.THE.SAVEGAME.DOES.NOT.RESET.

That should do the trick hopefully.

Last edited:
So, disregarding irrelevant semantics, you're basically paying for what is functionally a second save slot...
thats like saying overwatch doesnt have another save slot. why would you need one in overwatch? is what you're thinking? why do you need a second in metal gear lol

Blam

So can I cheat then? Make an avatar delete the save and consistently do this over and over?

So can I cheat then? Make an avatar delete the save and consistently do this over and over?
Cheat in what way?
Deleting your avatar is functionally no different from creating a second one, you effectively can create a new avatar that way to grind your way back up.
But to be clear, this does not allow you to start the game "fresh". The only way to do that is to completely nuke the savefile from your system.

Blam

Cheat in what way?
Deleting your avatar is functionally no different from creating a second one, you effectively can create a new avatar that way to grind your way back up.
But to be clear, this does not allow you to start the game "fresh". The only way to do that is to completely nuke the savefile from your system.
No I mean keep the avatar but nuke the savefile? Unless I don't get how this system works.

No I mean keep the avatar but nuke the savefile? Unless I don't get how this system works.
I'm actually not sure about this. I would suspect no?
The game saves 3 things the same way mgs5 did:
personal_data
ssd_config_data
ssd_game_data

The first seems to be avatar/mgo/online stuff
Second should be settings
And third would then be the save game; though I'm not sure if the game will allow you to start a null progress save with an established avatar.

Last edited:
It's a 40 hour single player game with a coop mode on top.
avatar "progression" is just levels and gear.

This is why we need an OT..

Last edited:

BANGS

Banned

I legitimately didn't understand what you were talking about. Considering how ridiculous and pointless such a "feature" is, can you blame me? What the hell is the point of making a new character if you can't restart the game? And why would you have to pay for that?

toker818

Banned
Kojima ruined the Mgs series for me not konami damn that awful mgs5 stroy line made me care less about the series I don't know why people protect kojima he has always troll it's fanbase

TheBoss1

You guys who are blaming Kojima... Are you serious...?

How can you blame Kojima when it's obvious Konami rushed MGSV through the door because they are money hungry? Just look at Kojima's past. He not only released complete games, but also some of the most polished and Easter egg-filled games of our generations. I say this as someone who's not a big fan of MGS4.

And for you guys who want to use the ridiculous excuse of Kojima being unable to manage/budget a game, remember the report where the game made a ton of money about 2 days after release because it sold well? Now imagine if the game was actually finished instead of Konami meddling with the product.

Last edited:
You guys who are blaming Kojima... Are you serious...?

How can you blame Kojima when it's obvious Konami rushed MGSV through the door because they are money hungry? Just look at Kojima's past. He not only released complete games, but also some of the most polished and Easter egg-filled games of our generations. I say this as someone who's not a big fan of MGS4.

And for you guys who want to use the ridiculous excuse of Kojima being unable to manage/budget a game, remember the report where the game made a ton of money about 2 days after release because it sold well? Now imagine if the game was actually finished instead of Konami meddling with the product.
I don't understand the Kojima hate either. In my opinion, MGSV was one of the top metal gear games. MGSIV was a bit of a different animal, however still a fantastic title. It certainly wasn't for everybody.

grumpyGamer

I did not like MGS V but i believe the game was rushed by konamy, not kojima foult there,
the new MGS is a slap in the face, and the hiden message is a clear factor of who the problem is with.
So using jim sterling words Fuck konami

There isn't much to explain. I loved MGS1-3 and hated 4-5... I felt they took both the gameplay and the narrative in a horrible direction...
I can understand your concern about the narrative, as it seemed confusing and convoluted at first, but what didn't you like about the gameplay?

BANGS

Banned
I can understand your concern about the narrative, as it seemed confusing and convoluted at first, but what didn't you like about the gameplay?
It just got too blended in with other shooters and lost all it's unique "metal gearness" IMO. Also the environments became alot more open(something that started with 3 that I didn't like but it was alot more toned down in that game). I really liked the gameplay of 1 and 2 best, with the top downish views, tight corridors, and radar. 3 was great but my least favorite of the three. My favorite parts of 3 were parts that felt more like the older games, such as when you disguise yourself as the scientist or Raikov...

It just got too blended in with other shooters and lost all it's unique "metal gearness" IMO. Also the environments became alot more open(something that started with 3 that I didn't like but it was alot more toned down in that game). I really liked the gameplay of 1 and 2 best, with the top downish views, tight corridors, and radar. 3 was great but my least favorite of the three. My favorite parts of 3 were parts that felt more like the older games, such as when you disguise yourself as the scientist or Raikov...
I liked the tight corridors too, I feel like it made the stealth portion far more difficult. For me, overall, I just like open world games.

BANGS

Banned
I'm pretty sick of open world games myself, and especially sick of games that traditionally fit into other genres being tacked on to an open world just because that's the trend now. The genre is just so over saturated. It's ruining series I used to like for me, like MGS, Zelda, Tony Hawk, etc...

GabeARG

There isn't much to explain. I loved MGS1-3 and hated 4-5... I felt they took both the gameplay and the narrative in a horrible direction...

I agree with you that MGS5's narrative was awful, but i think it was a rushed game. Gameplay was excellent, but the plot twist was a little too much.

Top Bottom