• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metalocalypse Season 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seraphis Cain said:
So um...new episode is on right now.

Anyone care?
I care, but there were 12 (or so) premieres I was interested in last night, so something had to give. Looking forward to watching it tonight!

NGAMER9

sn00zer said:
Toki's songs are always awesome and weird....very robot unicorny
I do love the underwater friends and hamburger time one, but the autotune in this one made it to annoying for me to listen to, even though it's intended as a joke.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Weak episode. Had its moments, but overall too many slow points and a lack of funny.

Season 3 is shaping up to be much weaker than the first two seasons. I thought lengthening the episodes would have been good, but I'm not so sure anymore.

EatChildren said:
Weak episode. Had its moments, but overall too many slow points and a lack of funny.

Season 3 is shaping up to be much weaker than the first two seasons. I thought lengthening the episodes would have been good, but I'm not so sure anymore.

Its always hard getting into the flow of a new episode length... especially when the character's are more suited to 15 min chunks of time (well, that's my opinion anyway)

Just saw the last episode, it was pretty good but I don't know why they put two Toki/Murderface episodes back to back. Next weeks looks great though.

Has this season had a Dr. Rockso episode yet?

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Good episode, better than last week, but still a bit flat. There needs to be more ridiculous metal antics.

Tkawsome said:
Just saw the last episode, it was pretty good but I don't know why they put two Toki/Murderface episodes back to back. Next weeks looks great though.

Nope, not yet.

I liked the first episode better than the second. Perhaps I am broken.

sn00zer

Twas hilarious....very good episode...although I am SERIOUSLY hankering for a conclusion to the whole secret society run by Satan and the now possessed general. I like "epic" Metalocalypse more than the funny side of Metalocalypse so many questions left unanswered its not even funny.

thefit

loved the jabs at "nu metal" :lol But they gotta stop trying to over develop these characters, they're metal heads for crying out loud. and bring back the parallel conspirators plot, its sorely missed.

Tkawsome said:

Guess what Sunday is!

metsallica said:
Guess what Sunday is!

Just saw it, hell yeah! He looks a little toned down tough Rockso reached whole new levels with last seasons episode.

NGAMER9 said:
Yeah, this last episode was really good aside from the stupid Pickles songs.

You're crazy the Pickles songs were amazing, especially the rehab segment.

Daigoro

Pickles eps are always good. Love pickles and his shitheel brother.

I agree we need the conspiracy plot back though. Remeber the Yobo ep in the jungle Fuck that was awesome.

Cant wait for some Rockso next week!

EatChildren

Great episode. Fucking glad that the whole Murderface/Toki thing was ditched in favour of Pickles. I have mixed feelings about his song though. Some parts were really great, others sounded really tacky and shit. I dont want every episode to have a novelty song from a band member, which is what the last few episodes have shaped up with.

The show still needs more actual band performances, and more wacky metal outings. Nothing this season has come close to Season 2's peaks.

Last week was definitely the best of the new trio so far. Although the 1st episode of the season destroys all of them.

5 minutes into tonight's episode looks promising!

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Good episode, but I'm not sure I like the direction the show is going now. The previous seasons had that awesome over-arching storyline with the Illuminati-like group and the insinuation that Dethklok was something more than just a band. Plus, how long has it been since we've seen a terrible, inadvertent massacre from Dethklok? :lol

I just hope the season finale gives us some answers on the cliffhanger the first episode of the season ended on. Where Charles was for the year he was "dead", what the Illuminati is up to, etc.

EatChildren

The Rocko episode was good, and definitely one of the stronger episodes of this season, but I'm convinced the show is never going to reach it's original glory.

Nine episodes into this season, all of them full length (so really 18 episodes by the old standard), and there's been hardly any gore, violence, wacky metal outing, and music. Most of the songs have been throw-away novelty songs, and there's been far too much focus on both Murderface and Toki.

It's lost its zazz. Which is a shame, as I thought the very first episode of this season was friggen amazing.

LaneDS

EatChildren said:
The Rocko episode was good, and definitely one of the stronger episodes of this season, but I'm convinced the show is never going to reach it's original glory.

Nine episodes into this season, all of them full length (so really 18 episodes by the old standard), and there's been hardly any gore, violence, wacky metal outing, and music. Most of the songs have been throw-away novelty songs, and there's been far too much focus on both Murderface and Toki.

It's lost its zazz. Which is a shame, as I thought the very first episode of this season was friggen amazing.

How can you say it's lost it's zazz after the last episode focused on the Zazz reunion?!

I'm actually quite enjoying this season. The episode with the hospital was absolutely bonkers and hysterical, so much so my mind cannot actually recall why I think that. Going to revisit the entire series once this once finishes out though, it's been long enough to warrant a repeat viewing.

Yeah, might be in the minority here as well but have been loving this season. I felt it was getting way too formulaic prior: wacky premise, council meeting, new song, the end. They're evolving the show for the better with the new format.

I have no doubt they'll get back to the council stuff and the mythos of Dethklok, but we don't need that every week.

For now... we waaaaait.

PS: Lane, you totally should've said "It may have lost its zazz, but it gained its Zazz Blammymatazz."

Zabka

Seraphis Cain said:
Plus, how long has it been since we've seen a terrible, inadvertent massacre from Dethklok? :lol
A week ago? Pickles caused a billion dollars in damage and crashed all those airplanes.

EatChildren

metsallica said:
Yeah, might be in the minority here as well but have been loving this season. I felt it was getting way too formulaic prior: wacky premise, council meeting, new song, the end. They're evolving the show for the better with the new format.

Funnily enough, I was just thinking about how formulaic the last few episodes of this season have been, and how nearly every episode has hinged on there being some band crisis, followed by a wacky joke song, and a Face Bones video thrown in for good measure.

Hell, the last three episodes back-to-back have had a Face Bones video, and two of them had wacky novelty songs.

It's still good, and I'm enjoying it, but the laughs-per-minute for me have dropped significantly compared to Season 1 and 2. I really loved the first episode of this season and the medical clinic one, and I've liked every other episode, but it's still not hitting the spot.

LaneDS

metsallica said:

I have no doubt they'll get back to the council stuff and the mythos of Dethklok, but we don't need that every week.

For now... we waaaaait.

PS: Lane, you totally should've said "It may have lost its zazz, but it gained its Zazz Blammymatazz."

Hah, I should have. I couldn't remember the whole band name and thus, failed.

Rewatched DethHealth last night after my post and it was indeed as ridiculous as I (sort of) recalled.

bathala

Banned
Yeah I really like this season. Explore's the band's childhood past.

I like the pickle's episode for its musical like theme

Volcynika

tenchir said:
Good episode but I have no idea what the hell is going on with the storyline. Falconback project?

It hasn't been talked about before but we've seen missiles and such in the arctic areas previous to this.

I'm not sure, but they have it out for Offdenson now.

EatChildren

So, final of Metalocalypse, that as usual contains a little bit of story stuff. Pretty solid episode, but this season has been on average the weakest season of the three by a looong shot. It's had less mayhem and violence, far less music and excessive use of crappy joke songs, painted too many of the characters in a prissy non-metal way (like Nathan liking Rockso's music in the last episode), and lacked a lot of the cool stuff like the Illuminati council, recurring characters, and other junk.

There's some great episodes in there, some great songs, and even the worst of episodes produced a good few laughs, but it really stepped away from the fast pace and loaded jokes of the shorter episodes. I think, in the long run, doubling the episode length did far more harm than good.

If there's a fourth season I hope they go back to the shorter episode formula. I think the humour and style works much better there.

LaneDS

Is a fourth season not a sure thing? I think I naively assumed the show was a success. Would be pretty bummed to not see some kind of resolution to the plot.

Also, was fairly confused as to what I was seeing in that last episode. Still good stuff though.

That was a pretty tame finale compared to the past seasons. The twist at the end doesn't make much sense either unless it was something that happened very recently. I still really enjoyed the episode though, Toki running around punching people made me laugh really hard for some reason.

EatChildren

Tkawsome said:
That was a pretty tame finale compared to the past seasons. The twist at the end doesn't make much sense either unless it was something that happened very recently. I still really enjoyed the episode though, Toki running around punching people made me laugh really hard for some reason.

I loved how all of them were so juvenile in the episode, as well as painfully stupid.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom