• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro developer: DirectStorage will be very beneficial for PC gaming

I haven't read through this thread.

Are console guys trying to say the consoles are more powerful?

I'll never understand that ... PCs are infinitely customizable and, in general, have far superior parts to anything you can get in a console. We have one small outlier this gen with the PS5 I/O setup, and there are real advantages there (maybe those advantages decrease after DirectStorage), but in terms of rendering horsepower, CPU, RAM ...

PC has all of the consoles beat, and easily. How is that not obvious and acceptable to console players? It's like being mad at a Ferrari owner because you have a Lexus F Sport. Your car is just worse dude.
It's been a span of the same handful of people claiming better everything for mouths on end. Now that most things have been debunked, it's been SSD, I/O for the past few days/weeks every since that ps5 demo was shown on PC.

I prefer reading the threads, and only making interactions or responses when required. But right now it's the same people going into every single PC, windows, or Xbox thread, to just shit in it. Check out PaintTinJr PaintTinJr and Md Ray Md Ray post history everyone. Look how every thread and comment they make is about ps5, in threads that aren't related to ps5. It's getting to the point that the threads get derailed or just becomes a ps5 thread.

Discussion is next to non existent because most of us don't care about ps5 in an Nvidia 3080 ti thread, or care about ps5 in a Microsoft direct storage thread, or ps5 in windows 11 threads, or ps5 in unreal engine running on PC threads, etc.

Corndog

Banned
If we’re moving towards a time when the long initial loads even with SSD are gone (GTA5, etc) and games aren’t designed with allowances for lower level hardware, that’s two different improvements I’m all for. One’s more subtle than the other, but I welcome both

If along the way we get even less overhead on the PC side, even better.

Take Skyrim for example. It was massively limited to work on consoles, and you had entire cities blocked off behind loading screens. That big, noticeable thing is no longer a issue because consoles aren’t so limited in spec any more, but there’s also interior spaces that may well have been put behind loading screens because the speed limitations. If we can get to a point where even they go because of the extra speed these improvements bring, then game design gets extra legroom to make seamless worlds.

Can a PC do what R&C does (the portal stuff) at the same speed? I don’t know if that can be done quite so quickly because of the overheads.
You could load the entire ratchet and clank game into ram in pc so of course it could. You wouldn’t because it would artificially limit your audience.

Corndog

Banned
Shhhh, remember, those games are the greatest things since sliced bread... Until they hit PC, then they become "hand me downs". I swear some of these posters can't be over the age of 12, having weird mentalities like that. Some of these same shills will soon say R&C ain't all that.... Imagine that
Then people get angry about exclusives coming to pc.

You could load the entire ratchet and clank game into ram in pc so of course it could. You wouldn’t because it would artificially limit your audience.

Considering that Ratchet and Clank is compressed that is a ton of data. And even with a fast SSD it would take some time to load the entire game uncompressed into ram. I don't even know if a PC exclusive would even target that amount of ram.

Dr Bass

It's been a span of the same handful of people claiming better everything for mouths on end. Now that most things have been debunked, it's been SSD, I/O for the past few days/weeks every since that ps5 demo was shown on PC.

I prefer reading the threads, and only making interactions or responses when required. But right now it's the same people going into every single PC, windows, or Xbox thread, to just shit in it. Check out PaintTinJr PaintTinJr and Md Ray Md Ray post history everyone. Look how every thread and comment they make is about ps5, in threads that aren't related to ps5. It's getting to the point that the threads get derailed or just becomes a ps5 thread.

Discussion is next to non existent because most of us don't care about ps5 in an Nvidia 3080 ti thread, or care about ps5 in a Microsoft direct storage thread, or ps5 in windows 11 threads, or ps5 in unreal engine running on PC threads, etc.
Console warring is so lame lol. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Corndog

Banned
What other machine can currently do it with the same sustained throughput as the PS5? No consumer PC can (even with a 7GB/s SSD, for reasons explained by others in the thread), the Series can't. PC will catch up, but for now it's lagging behind rather significantly.
Have you ever looked into why? How many chips is Sony using? How many are on the series x?

Take a look.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

I'll never understand that ... PCs are infinitely customizable and, in general, have far superior parts to anything you can get in a console. We have one small outlier this gen with the PS5 I/O setup, and there are real advantages there (maybe those advantages decrease after DirectStorage), but in terms of rendering horsepower, CPU, RAM ...

PC has all of the consoles beat, and easily. How is that not obvious and acceptable to console players? It's like being mad at a Ferrari owner because you have a Lexus F Sport. Your car is just worse dude.
No, not at all.

It was the standard post of DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong in the nanite thread trolling and then trying to downplay the UE5 demo on PS5 as being nothing - after Land of Ancients preview released- and when I pointed to nanite/lumen technology being tied to pixel-rate (ps5 is about 142gigapixels/s which is immense in £450 console) he laughed it off as though the hardware is about a 2060 Super, then 3060, then I pointed about a reference 3060ti doesn't reach that pixel-rate, or its own level constantly, and then he started talking about overclocking as though the PS5 constant boosting isn't a paradigm shift as Cerny explained, and he implied 2.1Ghz is achievable on PC for everyone in the context of a 3060ti.

Basically he has zero interest in any of the advanced technology and how it helps gaming - on the lead platform -, until he can say it is on PC and he can buy a better version of it without any consideration of cost. just constant downplaying. he doesn't even think the IO complex and PS5 SSD is special in any way. But is desperately hoping that just a new software API (DirectStorage with an NVME SSD) is going to match the PS%'s raw throughput.

No, not at all.

It was the standard post of DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong in the nanite thread trolling and then trying to downplay the UE5 demo on PS5 as being nothing - after Land of Ancients preview released- and when I pointed to nanite/lumen technology being tied to pixel-rate (ps5 is about 142gigapixels/s which is immense in £450 console) he laughed it off as though the hardware is about a 2060 Super, then 3060, then I pointed about a reference 3060ti doesn't reach that pixel-rate, or its own level constantly, and then he started talking about overclocking as though the PS5 constant boosting isn't a paradigm shift as Cerny explained, and he implied 2.1Ghz is achievable on PC for everyone in the context of a 3060ti.

Basically he has zero interest in any of the advanced technology and how it helps gaming - on the lead platform -, until he can say it is on PC and he can buy a better version of it without any consideration of cost. just constant downplaying. he doesn't even think the IO complex and PS5 SSD is special in any way. But is desperately hoping that just a new software API (DirectStorage with an NVME SSD) is going to match the PS%'s raw throughput.
Is pixel rate the only thing GPU's have going for them? Do you not realize if that were the case, ps5 would be able to beat XSX in games? Imagine if XSX ran the lower resolution of ps5, it would definitely still have higher framerates, with better raytracing. That's why you keep harping towards pixel fill rate, because it's the only thing it has better than XSX. Pixel fill rate won't make 10TF >> 12TF, so just stop that already.

Notice how you only play by your rules, it gets tiring, as you keep moving goal posts, even right now. Just stop while you are behind. Save yourself from the constant embarrassment and humiliation you keep putting yourself into. PC has direct storage. Every console and PC now has access to this. Not sure why you keep on praising Cerny so much? It's kinda weird at this point....

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

And yet he cared so little these where his two first posts on page one of the nanite thread.

His first falsely attributes words to me - asked for him to find a receipt, obviously none was provided :)
@Bo_Hazem PaintTinJr PaintTinJr @muteZX @geordiemp

Where is my apology?

Can't run on PC huh? Or maybe run it on the editor too!
And his second clearly shows he cares massively about the downplaying the PS5 to his warrior PC.
I just wish they released this to the public, so we could run it too. But this guy is running a more intensive and updated version of the demo compared to last year.

it's running on a ps5 dev kit running windows 10
If he really wants what he claims, maybe he needs to understand not to falsely attribute words to people and instigate cross-thread arguments.

Last edited:
Why do we need DirectStorage? According to forum subject matter experts. We can just load everything in to RAM.
You can, but now, you don't have to. I won't need to fill up my RAM (which there's no games that requires this), but now can use my 24gb of vram more efficiently (which was never a problem to begin with)

Last edited:
And yet he cared so little these where his two first posts on page one of the nanite thread.

His first false attributes words to me - asked for him to find a receipt, obviously none was provide :)

And his second clearly shows he cares massively about the downplaying the PS5 to his warrior PC.

If he really wants what he claims, maybe he needs to understand not to falsely attribute words to people and instigate cross-thread arguments.
Are you not familiar with your own posts or your warrior friends posts? For over a year we heard how ps5 can beat PC SSD in UE5 demo. Of course imma call out all your warriors so y'all can feast on the much needed crow y'all served for yourselves.

A big dick slap to face for all of the PC-naysayers.

Of course everyone is going to shit on the less intelligent people who went against what all of the more intelligent people were speculating, that PC could run it much better. Which was 1000% the case, yet again here.

I'm sorry you took that chance to console war. I'm sorry that I also cannot blame myself for all of the other threads you and your warrior friends have shitted up. You can't blame anyone for every other thread y'all have ruined. You aren't making sense by using one thread as an example.

Everyone, go look at PaintTinJr PaintTinJr posts, and tell me he doesn't console war in every PC thread he's been in. It's pretty obvious.

Last edited:

Brofist

No, not at all.

I pretty much stopped reading your wall of text fluff piece posts a long time ago, but I'll give you some advice. Not everyone on a forum is going to agree with you and your love for a certain product (or person?). Get used to it.

I pretty much stopped reading your wall of text fluff piece posts a long time ago, but I'll give you some advice. Not everyone on a forum is going to agree with you and your love for a certain product (or person?). Get used to it.
The sad part is, this dude is in every thread I'm in. And I'm a PC gamer, visiting threads that pertain to me, like windows 11, direct storage, Xbox games (as they come to PC), threads about Sony games coming to/already on pc. These threads are relevant to me. Yet he's more in these threads than his beloved choice of plastic threads. Astroturfing is an understatement to say the least for PaintTinJr PaintTinJr . Dudes a Sony shill to the max.

He doesn't have any interest in PC/Xbox, especially reading any random one of his posts

Last edited:

sendit

Just because PCs COULD load everything into RAM if there's enough doesn't mean you should if a new solution arrives, like DirectStorage.

Sarcastic Sarcasm GIF

Banned

I mean if your brain doesn't have the capacity to think for a second and realize that this allows PC games to have vastly better textures without the need to have an exorbitant amount of RAM... and that this helps avoid OS related stutters... then... I guess that reaction is fitting

Last edited:

99Luffy

Banned
PC forum warriors - just a ssd, nothing more, been rocking one since 1980.

PC forum warriors - direct storage, take that, eat shit, master race

Without a doubt, the tiniest of the bunch.
To be fair its cause the whole 'derp PC has had SSD for a decade herp derp' line was pushed by Linus and GamersNexus, now they look silly having to report on directstorage.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

His first falsely attributes words to me - asked for him to find a receipt, obviously none was provided :)

Careful they are tag teaming and trying to get you riled up.

Brofist

The sad part is, this dude is in every thread I'm in. And I'm a PC gamer, visiting threads that pertain to me, like windows 11, direct storage, Xbox games (as they come to PC), threads about Sony games coming to/already on pc. These threads are relevant to me. Yet he's more in these threads than his beloved choice of plastic threads. Astroturfing is an understatement to say the least for PaintTinJr PaintTinJr . Dudes a Sony shill to the max.

He doesn't have any interest in PC/Xbox, especially reading any random one of his posts
I actually came into this topic first time when it was new agreeing with it completely in my mind. I do think that SSDs on PC are currently not utilized to their fullest. I do think that it's a good thing that a $500 box can actually bring some innovation to the table. Anyone can get complacent and it's always good to get a wake up call.

But hey no less than half a page in this topic I start reading comments like "Oh cool so pc can then do what the PS5 does right now. How exciting." with a bunch of derping retards laughing it up and agreeing and high fiving. It's funny how those posts seemed to pass by Mr. wall o text without notice.

sendit

Games aren't made this way.
Direct storage is great(thank PS5 for raising the bar)
But the question is how long of a wait to see the fruits of it?

My post regarding DirectStorage was meant to be sarcastic towards the PC warriors who believe brute forcing is the only solution. Surprised a few took it the wrong way (not really). I think this is an API that will be heavily utilized in the PC space sooner rather than later. Considering DirectStorage is part of the Velocity Architect utilized in Microsoft's Series consoles.

Last edited:

Soodanim

DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong PaintTinJr PaintTinJr
This has devolved into a cat fight. It’s time to make your closing arguments so we can put this to bed. (Re)State your position on DirectStorage and the opinions of the dev comments so we can see just how much ground you’re fighting over. I think you’re arguing slightly different things so that you can “win”, but really you both agree on much more than you realise.

This is somewhere between pointless and disingenuous. I’m interested, based on what the anti-pro-DirectStorage people are saying, whether or not the current fastest examples on PS5 can be replicated on a reasonable PC. My experience on PC with SSDs for the last 7 years is that they can’t, so I want to know if people have examples that I am unaware of.

It’s my understanding that NMVe doesn’t currently have maximum realised potential in games, and that DirectStorage helps get to that point. There’s a bottleneck, and that bottleneck is being addressed.

PS5 clearly does have an advantage in load times as shown here and in other videos, that’s frankly not up for debate. It doesn’t even have loading screens for RE8 on PS5 (looking at other comparisons), whereas the others do. When loading speeds get that fast, game design gets to change. Hence R&C.

theclaw135

Banned
Imagine how topics like this would've looked in the 80s. Famicom/NES briefly ran circles around IBM in scrolling, sound quality, and color palettes.

Going into the 90s, we have PC gamers' priceless reactions to the smooth motion and rich environments of Sonic, Actraiser, etc.

Last edited:
What then? when you see pc killing ps5 in load times? What then? What will you resort to?
There is always a convenient excuse:

• It is cross-gen
  • It runs in BC mode
  • The effect is not 100% the same
  • The assets are not diverse
  • It's an exclusive so you can't compare
  • It probably requires less data throughput
  • Decompression is where the magic happens
  • The game isn't out yet
  • Cerny said...
  • Random dude on twitter said...
  • Only 2 people on the planet even have the PC hardware
  • It take 0.01 milliseconds longer to load
  • It is not running in 480/720/1080/4k/8k
  • There are no RTX reflections on the hair of that NPC's big toe
etc...

There is always a convenient excuse:

• It is cross-gen
  • It runs in BC mode
  • The effect is not 100% the same
  • The assets are not diverse
  • It's an exclusive so you can't compare
  • It probably requires less data throughput
  • Decompression is where the magic happens
  • The game isn't out yet
  • Cerny said...
  • Random dude on twitter said...
  • Only 2 people on the planet even have the PC hardware
  • It take 0.01 milliseconds longer to load
  • It is not running in 480/720/1080/4k/8k
  • There are no RTX reflections on the hair of that NPC's big toe
etc...
They are the masters of shifting the target/goal posts. You beat them in the topic at hand, they switch to something irrelevant, then continue to harp on. Fuck the CPU, fuck the GPU. I/O decompression is the only thing that matters now.... Wut???

Some people can't just accept that there are more important things than just I/O. You can have the fastest I/O but still limited to your GPU. The SSD isn't a GPU, side GPU, gpu-helper, etc. It's not going to create magic, and people need to stop the PC SSD spin while we're at it. Direct storage is coming ASAP, so I'm just trying to figure out what goal post we're moving to next. I can't keep up with the constant changing of defenses.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Otherwise it boosts when needed sounds more accurate.
It is actually designed the other way around, to run at max frequency all the time except for fractions of time where that would mean exceeding the power budget and requires downclock. All modern chips including the XSX are capable to put some portion of the circuit to sleep if unused, so look at it whichever angle you want.
Consoles are great, and a big step compared to last gen. But let's not pretend. It's the console warriors that keep on calling out PC players,
No 😂, other way around mate. “My my this game look super awesome —> enters PCMR out of left field… well achtually it does not really, plus on every PC you would get at least 8x the resolution and so much more”. Always as if PC were a fixed specs platform that brought that quality and ease of use at the same low prices :rolleyes:.

It is actually designed the other way around, to run at max frequency all the time except for fractions of time where that would mean exceeding the power budget and requires downclock. All modern chips including the XSX are capable to put some portion of the circuit to sleep if unused, so look at it whichever angle you want.

No 😂, other way around mate. “My my this game look super awesome —> enters PCMR out of left field… well achtually it does not really, plus on every PC you would get at least 8x the resolution and so much more”. Always as if PC were a fixed specs platform that brought that quality and ease of use at the same low prices :rolleyes:.
Have you not read THIS thread (which has absolutely nothing to do with ps5), or any thread on this site under gaming, and even other subjects? Xbox threads, become ps5 threads. PC threads, become ps5 threads. Nintendo threads, become ps5 threads. "What's your favorite song at the moment", becomes a ps5 thread.

Y'all just can't stop.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius

Agreed, it is a strawman argument usually found in PCMR dens when they feel the excitement of Console players piques their insecurity over the many hundreds of pounds they just spent on upgrading their GPU or RAM or case.

PC as a platform offers customisation of HW and SW (modding), it is an entirely different ecosystem. It relates to the consoles which drive a lot of the software devs R&D as a target and generation jumps tend to push the bar up on cross platform games on PC’s too.

Eventually and buying the right components you can brute force your way out of limitations (you can get yourself 64-128 GB of RAM which means aside from an initial longer load you could store an entire next generation game in RAM… you can get yourself a 16-32 CPU cores CPU which means you can easily afford 16-20 cores worth of Ryzen 3 goodness to crunch on decompression in real-time)…

There are some points where due to the fact the Console is not trying to use off the shelves HW (customisations in semi-custom designs can quite an effect) and the OS/tools do not have to worry about wide HW compatibility (single spec focus) and are this more efficient that they will punch above their weight in some key area for a while and PC’s catch up and pass them… at a price.

Normally PCMR gets more and more anxious everytime a new Console generation comes out and once the average PC outmatches every console they calm down again.

Agreed, it is a strawman argument usually found in PCMR dens when they feel the excitement of Console players piques their insecurity over the many hundreds of pounds they just spent on upgrading their GPU or RAM or case.

PC as a platform offers customisation of HW and SW (modding), it is an entirely different ecosystem. It relates to the consoles which drive a lot of the software devs R&D as a target and generation jumps tend to push the bar up on cross platform games on PC’s too.

Eventually and buying the right components you can brute force your way out of limitations (you can get yourself 64-128 GB of RAM which means aside from an initial longer load you could store an entire next generation game in RAM… you can get yourself a 16-32 CPU cores CPU which means you can easily afford 16-20 cores worth of Ryzen 3 goodness to crunch on decompression in real-time)…

There are some points where due to the fact the Console is not trying to use off the shelves HW (customisations in semi-custom designs can quite an effect) and the OS/tools do not have to worry about wide HW compatibility (single spec focus) and are this more efficient that they will punch above their weight in some key area for a while and PC’s catch up and pass them… at a price.

Normally PCMR gets more and more anxious everytime a new Console generation comes out and once the average PC outmatches every console they calm down again.
Is anyone in here, by a show of hands, insecure about their PC purchase...? No...? No one? That settles that.

Did you miss direct storage is happening, as we speak? No need for the hypothetical CPU cores or copious amounts of RAM you guys keep referencing guessing.

Last edited:

Spidey Fan

Banned
There is alot of things to unpack here.

1st, consoles are weak against pc. That isn't a false statement.

2nd, pc evolves at the rate of cockroach, while consoles evolve at rate of dinasours. Every year, new card with new system comes out. By the time ps5 pro comes out, it will be on term of 2-3 years old graphic card.

So far, we have cyberpunk2077 which pushed the absolute limit most pc, despite it being not optimized that much. The ray Tracing that is done on pc,, for this game, puts what is on ratchet to shame.

Ratchet is a small game. A 10 hour game, with tons of cinematic scenes. You cut those, and the game becomes short. Its easy to utilize it for the system with a game like that. We have seen some issues of the game. The environment looks clunky, especially the grass and trees. That is because, its on testing mode. And Insomniac not able to focus more, outside of their characters, and not that much on the environment. I am still suffering from the Osborne Corp vs the demons on the street from spiderman. The way it was designed is something else.

Cyberpunk2077 on other hand, is more of open world, big game (messed badly by those fucker managements). While it doesn't have portals like ratchet, its Ray Tracing is highly taxing on the system. Since you are raytracing an entire world of this game, compared to that of ratchet.

We will see the ps5 optimization. If it can do what high end gaming pc do with cyberpunk2077, then the ps5 would be a revolutionary system. As of now, it isn't. Because of the ssd buzz word. XsX doesn't have the direct storage, and its going neck to neck with ps5. If the ps5 ssd was a revolutionary, it should have out the XSX to shame, considering the XSX doesn't even have direct storage. Ps5 beats it, in term of storage allocation, and compressing it, but for gaming, there is not that much difference. We will see, if XSX will outperform the ps5, when it has the direct storage.

And as people talked more about it, ssd existed for a long time. And the problem for pc games, is that it's mainly optimized for consoles. And when it does optimized for pc, we get cyberpunk2077 case, which is horrible on consoles.

My pc is very weak. Rx570 ryzen 3100. And the level of details of skyrim it gives me, out a shame on my x1s. I can't imagine what a 3090 series can do. I have 240 ssd, and 1tb hard drive. Gonna switch out to ssd soon, and see how much improvement my games will get on pc.

One important note, both systems use AMD systems. AMD isn't on the same level as Nvidia. Whatever those new systems have, it will be dependent on AMD. Another weakness consoles have. The pc market has the AMD, and Nvidia. Both their new products every year.

sendit

Is anyone in here, by a show of hands, insecure about their PC purchase...? No...? No one? That settles that.

Did you miss direct storage is happening, as we speak? No need for the hypothetical CPU cores or copious amounts of RAM you guys keep referencing guessing.

Decompression still needs to happens, GPU cores will be used (in relation to DirectStorage). This isn't free. The whole point of DirectStorage is to streamline the workflow for data to get from point A to B. Lowering ram requirements is really just a side benefit to this. The main benefit I see for DirectStorage is more efficient engines that have a heavy emphasis on data streaming.

More RAM has always been the stupid answer/solution. There is a reason why Mark Cerny spent the majority of the PS5 spec reveal on I/O. It is that important,

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

My post regarding DirectStorage was meant to be sarcastic towards the PC warriors who believe brute forcing is the only solution. Surprised a few took it the wrong way (not really). I think this is an API that will be heavily utilized in the PC space sooner rather than later. Considering DirectStorage is part of the Velocity Architect utilized in Microsoft's Series consoles.
It will be awhile as software has to be coded for it and most PC gamers can't even run it.

On a positive note... it's possible that MS is doing this for all the upcoming exclusives they are making.

Doing this they will have to be brave enough to pull the nipple out of the lower spec builds mouths.

Last edited:
You ignored all the info from both the nanite and lumen deep dives - from the developers, and then straw-man arguments ignoring the immense pixel-rate of a PS5 that matches the technologies, and now are trying the same with DirectStorage.

I think we are all pro-DirectStorage for games on this forum, because it is a step in the right direction - so trolling about it is really odd IMHO. How it measures up and improves things for Windows will be interesting.

To answer your trolling question, why would anyone have to do anything? Other than last-gen, that's always how things end up eventually with consoles. Last-gen it was worse, because the PS4 had no grace period of having a bigger userbase with better specs from the beginning - for any part of the system at anytime - and yet it sold well, had the games with the best production quality and all gamers were happy..

Huh? I created both theses videos that have gone viral with over 300k views. Let’s see who is the troll here and a blant liar whose only goal is to make up and spread bullshit. You did it all in that UE5 Nanite thread.

Notice how he calls everything in the PS5 demo complex but everything in the Valley demo simple when they are exactly the same thing and some times even way more complex and abudant in the valley demo.

PS5 Demo refers to the lumen in the land of nanite PS5 demo in 2020.

First it was

Lie #1
valley used sunlight with animated sun cover

Truth: Valley uses the same volumetric cloud, sky and directional light system as the PS5 demo

Lie #2: PS5 demo stressed tested lumen

Truth: The valley demo has way more light source than the PS5 demo and lumen is orders of magnitude better in quality than what it was last year according to the creator of Lumen

Lie #3: Valley demo isn’t about nanite

Truth: Nanite cost over 2x than what it cost on the PS5 demo because of ridiculous overdraw due to lack of optimizations.

Lie #4: Valley has a 4.5 loading screen

Truth: Valley unload almost the entire level and loads a completely different level from scratch. No where is that done in the PS5 demo.

Lie #5: Valley only rendered two characters that ain’t nanite geometry.

Truth: The PS5 demo rendered only 1 character so the valley demo is doing more and the ancient one IS a nanite geometry.

Lie #6: and the large boss cinema level asset, was so high above the floor and other nanite geometry the lighting interactions with any parts of the model that were nanite meshes were not possible (AFAIK).

Truth: This makes no sense, I don’t even know what it’s trying to say other than it’s another made up bs.

Lie #7: All the complex volumetric simulations, etc that are missing from this demo

Truth: The valley demo uses the same volumetric sky and cloud as the PS5, it’s a duplicate. The valley demo uses way more volumetric fog and dust than the PS5 demo.

Lie #8: and with much better character animations

Truth: The valley demo uses the exact same locomotion system made for the PS5 demo with the exact same animations. Created by Epic’s Caleb (“The locomotion animations came from the first UE5 nanite demo that was unveiled last year.

Lie #9: there’s nothing to look at like...the complex simulation for the huge blue vortex at the end of the Ps5 demo?

Truth: The helmet Niagara vfx sim effects is the same as the portal vfx sim effects. It was made by Epic’s Ryan Burke.

Lie #10: There’s nothing to look at like...the complex creature behaviours reacting to the spotlight, etc, etc?

Truth: This exact same Niagara vfx has been released as a content example which you can play around like a toy. You can easily add it into the valley demo and costs virtually NOTHING. Same with the birds. Thi s is another BS made up to claim the Valley demo is inferior to the PS5 demo.

Lie #11: The other demo for PS5 looks a little bit uncharted, and a lot Last Guardian

Truth: Epic already said they copied tomb raider right down to the environment, the artifacts, the character design and the markings on the rocks. But of course praise song because nothing can ever come out your mouth that is a accrediance that isn’t attributed in some shape or form to Sony.

Lie #12: Editor is less performance heavy than a fully cooked/compiled EXE.

Truth: Debunked by Daniel Wright as he runs the PS5 demo on his PC and said that editor is more heavy.

Lie #13: Pixel rate on PS5 is higher than PC RTX Gpus which is why the PS5 demo ran at 1440p instead of 1080p. Later with the same argument but now Lumen and Nanite running in the Tempest audio engine IS the reason why it ran 1440p last year.

Truth: Brian Karis the creator of Nanite, Daniel Wright the creator of Lumen and several other Epic game engineers and project managers of the demos have already come out and said the valley demo is WAYYYYYY more performance heavier than the PS5 demo which is why it ran at 1080p vs 1440p.

Lie #15: like this new world area grid solution in the pre-release, that Brian said wasn't in the 2020 PS5 demo, but is in what he showed on his work from home PC. He also stated that the code is different in the 2020 version because they didn't have the world grid partition system implemented - or whatever UE5 specifically calls it.

Truth: No he didn’t. He said the PS5 demo DOES NOT use the world partition and the data layer system because it wasn’t created when that demo was made. The demo hasn’t been altered. It wasn’t recreated to use the new system. It’s still using the old UE4 style of having separate levels. This is confirmed by a Epic Games Engineer and by looking at the different maps/levels there are when both Brian and Daniel opens the file browser inside UE5.

Other lies that are just ridiculous and totally made up like the rest. I could keep going but they are infinite!

Lie # 16: Editor runs on consoles.

Lie # 17: Brian Karis had a 10k computer to run the PS5 demo.

Lie # 18: Lumen and Nanite ram on PS5’s Tempest Engine 3D Audio Chip because Lumen in the land of nanite demo is called Reverb.
We'd have to see the other demo running exactly the same to backup those conclusions,

The original demo used all the UE5 systems in tandem and really stressed lumen hard by camera speed and internal lighting. today's presentation had a 4.5second loading screen, focused on lighting nanite geometry with sun light with animated cloud cover, and was mostly rendering two characters, that aren't nanite geometry (the character/boss), and the large boss cinema level asset, was so high above the floor and other nanite geometry the lighting interactions with any parts of the model that were nanite meshes were not possible (AFAIK).

The statement is exactly as is to avoid any inference between PC min specs, XsX and PS5, but that seems to be exactly what you are doing. All the complex volumetric simulations, etc that are missing from this demo, but were present - and with much better character animations - in the ps5 demo that ran at 1400p and was capped at 30fps - and there's text/video confirming they expected to optimise - the resource hog - lumen to run at 60fps, all says that this demo is light weight to run on the PS5 - and probably XsX too- because of the in GPU streaming pool compression, and in & out to SSD streaming compression - as mentioned in the slides of the UE5 demo unrealfest videos.

There is nothing to look at in the 2nd demo, where is all the stuff mentioned in the Unrealfest videos - that the ps5 does, like Brian mentioning the complex simulation for the huge blue vortex at the end of the Ps5 demo? Or the complex creature behaviours reacting to the spotlight, etc, etc?

This recent demo is pretty vacant and dull, and nothing like something from an actual game(IMHO) - but playing mostly exclusives on platforms I might be out of touch with a more varied quality bar. The other demo for PS5 looks a little bit uncharted, and a lot Last Guardian - two actual game scenarios I can already see being fabricated into existing IPs.

It wasn't lowered, 1080p30 was the target for the editor (without stuttering) for that demo on PCM PC, XsX, PS5 and old PCM PC Maxell GPU. No inference is made about console top capability from what I recall, and if you continue to say it does, then feel free to bring the transcribed text from the video's audio that proves otherwise.
The part I bolded, you can't be real about that, are you? Do you even understand the purpose of the devkits vs testing on retail decks?

What data? We can only benchmark 4.5 second high latency loading on a PC, we can't benchmark how well the XsS compares to the 1080, or a 3090 measures up to a XsX or PS5. But we know that nanite and lumen are ROP bound because unrealfest video slides tells us that the nanite/lumen (SDF) stuff is done in just a fragment shader - ie ROP bound - so everything else like IO latency/decompression/cache scrubbing/async compute being equal, the performance of the original PS5 demo will scale by ROP count, as will this lesser demo.

No one is sucking up anything, and it is for you to transcribe verbatim to prove your so-called PR fact.

Have you actually watched the full video of the first demo? We are talking 10,000km draw distance, and then flying it, cinema assets being GI lit while streaming into view constantly, at 20m triangles per frame giving constant IQ from models with millions of source triangles and three layers of 8K textures per unique model(IIIRC) and all instances being uniquely scaled. How big did they need to make the world for you?

Pretty sure I just finished watching nearly three hours of interesting stuff about nanite - dovetailed lots of interesting stuff many of the technical here at gaf have discussed - like Brian's comparison of mipmaps for textures and difficulty of LoDs not having an equally simple filtering method, him clarifying why nanite meshes aren't real-time generated, which cause the limitations to non-uniform scaling and no animation, etc, etc with lots that can be discussed in this and other threads, and this was your opening post to trolling people - and you weren't even bringing quotes of what people should apologize for.

If I ever said the demo definitely won't run on a PC in any form - like this new world area grid solution in the pre-release, that Brian said wasn't in the 2020 PS5 demo, but is in what he showed on his work from home PC, that he also said had preloaded the entire data in memory for Lumen in the land of nanite, in his editor PC showcase - and you can find a quote - as they are the words you are attributing to me - then by all means, take a well earned apology, if you can.

So much of the twitch nanite stream really drilled into the way nanite taxes a GPU in ROPs and scales linearly by resolution by being all done in the rasterization (fragment shader) - according to Brian , which I also tried to discuss for weeks without people like VFXVeteran and you acknowledging.

So if we take - a mid range game clock for - a RTX 3090 and doing a quick estimate of pixel-rate (ROPs x clock = 112x1.7) ~190billion/s, and do the same for the highest next-gen console pixel-rate, we get 140billion/s. So assuming console optimizations like cache scrubbers, and streaming out compression to the SSD made no difference in the first UE5 Demo solution, then a RTX 3090 PC should be able to manage nanite at 1.35x the native resolution, = 3,456 x 1895 @ 30fps at the same fidelity settings AFAIK.

I might be mistaken, but his editor was showing 4096px in the top right menu for something, so I'd presume that was for textures, as virtual shadow maps are 16K according to the video. So if the textures were 4 times the size( and storage) for the 2020 real-time gameplay shown, and in 2020 they didn't have the world grid system of the new UE5 pre-release demo - as is stated in the twitch nanite video - so there's every possibility the PS5's version was streaming data crazily throughout - even if the editor mode he showed was all running from RAM - as he stated. The 2020 demo slides in an Unrealfest video does state the PS5 was stream compressing out to the PS5's SSD, as well as compressing geometry on the GPU in ram.

In the context of an "Inside nanite" twitch video it is the exact same demo with the same geometric "nanite" assets in the editor, so my belief is that both statements are true. Somethings would be better on PS5 - say like textures - where latency matters, and other things would be better with more pixel-rate on a top of the line PC GPU, because nanite's limiting factor is pixel-rate for key bottlenecked areas.

He also stated that the code is different in the 2020 version because they didn't have the world grid partition system implemented - or whatever UE5 specifically calls it.
We also don't know what type of WFH PC he has, it isn't beyond realms of possibility that it is one of those £10k cards that AMD did with an SSD on the side.

They are the same solution from the info we had when RTX IO first surfaced, and will have the same latency as each other, not throughput which is decompression rate. So not a 100x latency improvement, but a 20x latency improvement like XVA's technology showed in their info reveal many months back before the RTX IO board slide info.

edit: On the 4096px issue, look at the complex physics vortex simulation (Gbuffer?) texture at the end of the land of nanite scene in his editor. It looks to be as is before fully triggered, but the texture is a fraction of the portal size - maybe less than a quarter, or maybe a quarter hard to remember exactly without checking the 3hr stream.

I was confused, too but having read the quote in context with the surrounding text, I believe he means the performance "requirements" in the editor are less - but sadly the word requirements is missing, so the sentence by itself says something completely different, and in context if the requirements word isn't intended, then the text reads like it is contradicting itself.

Because he specifically mentions the additional burden for memory of the editor, as though the next sentence should by comparison say lower performance requirements. But I've no idea, now. It looks like a rushed response to someone trying to stop their words wrongly setting fire to a forest :)

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
Direct storage probably would give sure some advantage. But in what measure is all to see. If we have to believe to MS everything coming by them is always revolutionary. It's hard take them seriously anymore.

Last edited:
Huh? I created both theses videos that have gone viral with over 300k views. Let’s see who is the troll here and a blant liar whose only goal is to make up and spread bullshit. You did it all in that UE5 Nanite thread.

Notice how he calls everything in the PS5 demo complex but everything in the Valley demo simple when they are exactly the same thing and some times even way more complex and abudant in the valley demo.

First it was

Lie #1

Truth: Valley uses the same volumetric cloud, sky and directional light system as the PS5 demo

Truth: The valley demo has way more light source than the PS5 demo and lumen is orders of magnitude better in quality than what it was last year according to the creator of Lumen

Truth: Nanite cost over 2x than what it cost on the PS5 demo because of ridiculous overdraw due to lack of optimizations.

Truth: Valley unload almost the entire level and loads a completely different level from scratch. No where is that done in the PS5 demo.

Truth: The PS5 demo rendered only 1 character so the valley demo is doing more and the ancient one IS a nanite geometry.

Lie #6: and the large boss cinema level asset, was so high above the floor and other nanite geometry the lighting interactions with any parts of the model that were nanite meshes were not possible (AFAIK).

Truth: This makes no sense, I don’t even know what it’s trying to say other than it’s another made up bs.

Lie #7: All the complex volumetric simulations, etc that are missing from this demo

Truth: The valley demo uses the same volumetric sky and cloud as the PS5, it’s a duplicate. The valley demo uses way more volumetric fog and dust than the PS5 demo.

Truth: The valley demo uses the exact same locomotion system made for the PS5 demo with the exact same animations. Created by Epic’s Caleb (“The locomotion animations came from the first UE5 nanite demo that was unveiled last year.

Lie #9: there’s nothing to look at like...the complex simulation for the huge blue vortex at the end of the Ps5 demo?

Truth: The helmet Niagara vfx sim effects is the same as the portal vfx sim effects. It was made by Epic’s Ryan Burke.

Lie #10: There’s nothing to look at like...the complex creature behaviours reacting to the spotlight, etc, etc?

Truth: This exact same Niagara vfx has been released as a content example which you can play around like a toy. You can easily add it into the valley demo and costs virtually NOTHING. Same with the birds. Thi s is another BS made up to claim the Valley demo is inferior to the PS5 demo.

Lie #11: The other demo for PS5 looks a little bit uncharted, and a lot Last Guardian

Truth: Epic already said they copied tomb raider right down to the environment, the artifacts, the character design and the markings on the rocks. But of course praise song because nothing can ever come out your mouth that is a accrediance that isn’t attributed in some shape or form to Sony.

Truth: Debunked by Daniel Wright as he runs the PS5 demo on his PC and said that editor is more heavy.

Lie #13: Pixel rate on PS5 is higher than PC RTX Gpus which is why the PS5 demo ran at 1440p instead of 1080p. Later with the same argument but now Lumen and Nanite running in the Tempest audio engine IS the reason why it ran 1440p last year.

Truth: Brian Karis the creator of Nanite, Daniel Wright the creator of Lumen and several other Epic game engineers and project managers of the demos have already come out and said the valley demo is WAYYYYYY more performance heavier than the PS5 demo which is why it ran at 1080p vs 1440p.

Lie #15: like this new world area grid solution in the pre-release, that Brian said wasn't in the 2020 PS5 demo, but is in what he showed on his work from home PC. He also stated that the code is different in the 2020 version because they didn't have the world grid partition system implemented - or whatever UE5 specifically calls it.

Truth: No he didn’t. He said the PS5 demo DOES NOT use the world partition and the data layer system because it wasn’t created when that demo was made. The demo hasn’t been altered. It wasn’t recreated to use the new system. It’s still using the old UE4 style of having separate levels. This is confirmed by a Epic Games Engineer and by looking at the different maps/levels there are when both Brian and Daniel opens the file browser inside UE5.

Other lies that are just ridiculous and totally made up like the rest. I could keep going but they are infinite!

Lie # 18: Lumen and Nanite ram on PS5’s Tempest Engine 3D Audio Chip because Lumen in the land of nanite demo is called Reverb.

ZSQXytr.gif

Brutal, savage, rekt!

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Sure… sure 😂. That settles it alright ;).
Sure, you just need an unspecified SSD type (MS has only said 1 TB NVMe, not much beyond that yet), a GPU supporting it (you are still taking on the work dedicated HW is normally dealing with using compute shaders and a multiplatform API), etc…

The day of $399 PC (monitor excluded) is delivering all that and clearly outpacing the consoles everywhere (beyond moddability of games, that is unique to PC) is far from being there yet.

Kenpachii

If we’re moving towards a time when the long initial loads even with SSD are gone (GTA5, etc) and games aren’t designed with allowances for lower level hardware, that’s two different improvements I’m all for. One’s more subtle than the other, but I welcome both

If along the way we get even less overhead on the PC side, even better.

Take Skyrim for example. It was massively limited to work on consoles, and you had entire cities blocked off behind loading screens. That big, noticeable thing is no longer a issue because consoles aren’t so limited in spec any more, but there’s also interior spaces that may well have been put behind loading screens because the speed limitations. If we can get to a point where even they go because of the extra speed these improvements bring, then game design gets extra legroom to make seamless worlds.

Can a PC do what R&C does (the portal stuff) at the same speed? I don’t know if that can be done quite so quickly because of the overheads.

Seamingless worlds on PC already exists since 2 decades ago mate.

Ask yourself this.

What game currently has loading speed issue's on PC?
What game currently isn't possible to be made on PC?

What game idea's are not executable?

That's why i state, game company's are creative bankrupt. They have no clue what to make anymore. As there is no limitation.

If R&C builded from the ground up as PC aaa exclusive to windows and nvidia top tier hardware, u would not see portals, u would see RTX everywhere and how godly all the "input whatever nvidia tries to sell you" is at that point.

Spidey Fan

Banned
Sure… sure 😂. That settles it alright ;).

Sure, you just need an unspecified SSD type (MS has only said 1 TB NVMe, not much beyond that yet), a GPU supporting it (you are still taking on the work dedicated HW is normally dealing with using compute shaders and a multiplatform API), etc…

The day of $399 PC (monitor excluded) is delivering all that and clearly outpacing the consoles everywhere (beyond moddability of games, that is unique to PC) is far from being there yet.
Mate, pc is different beast. The primary function for pcs isn't for gaming like consoles. Especially, when consoles are sold at a loss market.

Try to post the actual price of consoles first, than the shit those companies make it to be.

I will guarantee you, that those console price is anywhere near 1000$-1300$.

I am surprised people keep screaming about those bulshit price those companies make up.

Topher

Gold Member

That will never happen. Consoles are PCs specifically designed to be sold at cost or at loss. PCs, either as parts or as a whole, are sold for profit. So the very nature of the two business models is the major differentiating factor.

No, I cannot buy a $399 PC equitable to PS5. But there is a flip side. I cannot buy a console that is as capable as a high end PC at any cost. As far as the SSD, we are less than a year into the new console generation. So unless there are mid-get refreshes again then these consoles are what they are for the next seven years or so. Essentially, consoles are stuck. PCs are not. PC will continue to improve and the current state of SSD, as DonJuanSchlong DonJuanSchlong has said, will change quite dramatically.

Last edited:
Come on now. If companies can't find ways to make money selling PCs featuring a passable GPU, SSD, and 4K blu-ray drive for under $500, that's on them.
They operate from completely different goals. Consoles are only made to play games and multimedia, and that's literally it. Everything is subsidized to get as many of them out in the wild as possible, to make money on the backbone of services and software. That is How console makes make their money.

On PC, parts are not sold at a loss, and PC can do so much more than just gaming and multimedia. Like multitudes more can be done on these machines, as they are general purpose. Applicable in just about any and everything. A little more expensive on the front end, but everything else is cheaper like games, lack of having to pay for online services, etc.

You will see a $1000 console, before you'll see a subsidized PC. Unless Microsoft and Sony start to make prebuilt consoles, which features a low, medium, and high end specs, with user upgradable parts.

Last edited:

First it was

Lie #1

You deserve gold for this post. You put time into dispelling the idiocracy of some people here. It's great when you have all the factual information to put someone in their place, in a long written out document. Wonder if PaintTinJr PaintTinJr will even respond or just chuck it up as a loss at this point. No one can't argue with the facts you bring.

assurdum

Banned

First it was

Lie #1

Such humbleness. Such modesty.

Last edited:
Top Bottom