• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Exodus announced (2018, big open levels, PC/XBO/PS4)

That looked way too good to be in real time. I need more proof before I can get excited.

Here is a gif from the end of Last Light on PC, from 4 years ago.

3nNY9ZS.gif

4A's tech is quite incredible. And we haven't seen anything from them yet that is fully current gen, I suppose Metro 2033 Redux might sorta count but only sorta.

KorrZ

I'm so ready for more Metro. Loved both of the previous games, and ended up buying the remaster as well.

Can't wait to see more.

Yibby

4A's tech is quite incredible. And we haven't seen anything from them yet that is fully current gen, I suppose Metro 2033 Redux might sorta count but only sorta.

Metro had a great nvidia physx implementation. Maybe the best to date. It ran really good and looked amazing. I hope we will see some PC physx features again.

Wamb0wneD

This is so nice.

Tons of great subtle rendering things occuring.

Transparency caustics from the gas mask glass lens (first game I have ever seen to have coloured transparency shadows) + tessellated snow:
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-0166uwl.png

GPU particles (a series staple at this point):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01w3u4p.png

Lit particles (check out the window illuminating the particles, hard to see if hard shadows can cast through and onto them though):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-018yu0s.png

Global Volumetrics (coming through the opening in the structure on the left):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-011muqc.png

Volumetric Cloud Rendering:
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01olun8.png

Global Illumination (illuminating the inside locally) plus shadows on transparencies (the glass jars on the right):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01qzutp.png

And then hair translucency-lighting and physics (hairworks?):
https://giant.gfycat.com/SpiffyWanAmurminnow.webm

This wont even look close as good as this on my PS4 slim won't it lol...

I dig it. I enjoyed the first two, and this looks like it might scratch that Stalker™ itch I didn't know I had (though honestly, I'm only expecting a diet version of Stalker™).

loganclaws

Plane Escape Torment
So it's not open world, but is it just linear levels like the previous two games or is it more like Stalker where there are a bunch of levels that you can explore freely and go back and forth between them?

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
This wont even look close as good as this on my PS4 slim won't it lol...

Not 100% like for like, but it'll look comparable of course, at 30fps, and perhaps reduced resolution.

4A were keen to using Jaguar and the consoles RAM advantage as their base for development according to their interviews on Metro Redux as opposed to scaling down from PC.

Grassy

People thinking this is a target render are making me smile a bit. The first two games on PC are old and still look stellar. Last Light at the time, four years ago, was like the best looking thing I'd seen on PC.

Yep. If you have a PC capable of running 2033 and Last Light at 4K/60fps...whew. Still looks amazing.

luxarific

Nork unification denier
I've never been able to get into the Metro games because honestly, waaaay too depressing. But this looks good! Daylight! With no air mask!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Looks amazing. Can't fucking wait.

Redux on consoles was severely underrated. One of the best Remasters this gen.

How are they on the surface without masks?

Some spoilers from the last Book, Metro 2035:

The air is completely safe to breath outside of Moscow, and even in parts of Moscow, there's a major conspiracy relating to how "unlivable" the outside world is. It's a pretty amazing twist, so I won't detail the full spoilers.

Dabanton

The trailer obviously had to be staged.No other way to do it.

But an open world Metro will scratch my STALKER itch something rotten.

I want to see more of the exploration. The Metro games were great but we spent way too much time indoors as fun as that was having a wider play area sounds dope.

Hooks

People thinking this is a target render are making me smile a bit. The first two games on PC are old and still look stellar. Last Light at the time, four years ago, was like the best looking thing I'd seen on PC.

True but they also weren't open world

True but they also weren't open world

I was going to agree but then I saw this in the OP, so not quite open world. Which I think is for the better for what this series is all about.

I'm just ferrying our producer over to Twitch for an interview where we can share more detail, but just to be clear - we're a Metro game with some huge, open, non linear levels. But we're not one big open world. We think we have the best of both :)

Dabanton

I'm just ferrying our producer over to Twitch for an interview where we can share more detail, but just to be clear - we're a Metro game with some huge, open, non linear levels. But we're not one big open world. We think we have the best of both :)

This is what I was expecting large dense explorable levels. Can't wait to see more.

Watevaman

Metro 2033 and Last Light especially are probably the closest thing I have to a HL2/Episodes successor. The worldbuilding and the gameplay aren't really the same in terms of setting/environment but they are just so solidly built and engrossing that I fall into the games when I play them.

I can't wait to give this a try. It's gonna be hard to push me away.

MattyG

Banned
Some spoilers from the last Book, Metro 2035:

The air is completely safe to breath outside of Moscow, and even in parts of Moscow, there's a major conspiracy relating to how "unlivable" the outside world is. It's a pretty amazing twist, so I won't detail the full spoilers.
I've gotta get back to the books, I guess!

Absolutely fucking thrilled with this. STALKER is way up there for me, with the Metro series not far behind. To see them go this route is exactly what I wanted. I have great faith in 4A, as well. Over the moon, probably the only thing coming out of E3 I'll care about.

GavinUK86

I don't even care about a new Xbox, I'm just SUPER DUPER HYPED that we're getting another Metro game. 2033 is a masterpiece and LL is a solid follow up. Cannot wait for this. "Open world" in the thread title had me worried but now I've read some more I see it isn't. It's just larger levels.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
This is so nice.

Tons of great subtle rendering things occuring.

Transparency caustics from the gas mask glass lens (first game I have ever seen to have coloured transparency shadows) + tessellated snow:
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-0166uwl.png

GPU particles (a series staple at this point):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01w3u4p.png

Lit particles (check out the window illuminating the particles, hard to see if hard shadows can cast through and onto them though):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-018yu0s.png

Global Volumetrics (coming through the opening in the structure on the left):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-011muqc.png

Volumetric Cloud Rendering:
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01olun8.png

Global Illumination (illuminating the inside locally) plus shadows on transparencies (the glass jars on the right):
vlcsnap-2017-06-12-01qzutp.png

And then hair translucency-lighting and physics (hairworks?):
https://giant.gfycat.com/SpiffyWanAmurminnow.webm

Lovely stuff

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Maybe one day GSC will give us a sequel, but I loved Metro's world nearly as much, so this is exciting.

GSC hasn't done anything remotely relevant in like 5 years (unless you enjoy the Cossacks games)... Most of the talent behind Stalker went to 4A and it clearly shows in this.

gabbo

I didn't even know there was a Metro2035 novel, so not only do I have to read that, I have to jump back in to the game series. That it's open world makes this more like Stalker than Metro, where claustrophobia played a huge role in the gameplay. I wonder how it squares the circle between what happened in Last Light and 2034, since they are very different and hugely impactful

Hoping for good things, and what I saw looked like it should deliver.

GavinUK86

Is Arytom the main character again? It's been a while since I've played LL but wasn't
that his wife on the train.

Yeah he is. Anna shouts Artyom as the train's zipping by.

I didn't even know there was a Metro2035 novel, so not only do I have to read that, I have to jump back in to the game series. That it's open world makes this more like Stalker than Metro, where claustrophobia played a huge role in the gameplay. I wonder how it squares the circle between what happened in Last Light and 2034, since they are very different and hugely impactful

Hoping for good things, and what I saw looked like it should deliver.

Some of the most intense and memorable memories of the Metro series for me is reading the books, then replaying the games, in a dark room with headphones on. So good.

I though we were past the days where game companies try to past off CG/pre render videos as real gameplay.

I'm sure the game will be good

90% of that trailer is in game. You can tell what's what by the animations. The only non-gameplay sections are the running away from the monsters in the building and the ending.

CrazyHal

I though we were past the days where game companies try to past off CG/pre render videos as real gameplay.

I'm sure the game will be good

Top Bottom