• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro Last Light dev: 'Wii U has horrible, slow CPU' [Up: DICE dev comments]

just developing for the Playstation 3 is a significant addition

Wow devs really hate coding for the PS3. Thank god Sony decided to ditch the Cell and go with off the shelf for the sole reason that we won't have to hear this BS again.

You had two other options, you never had to "dealt" with the Wii. The other two consoles were practically twins, why would you want another one?
I like Nintendo's franchises and would prefer that they get with the times, as their games would benefit from more powerful hardware and competent online.

Amazingly the dude mentions a PS3 port specifically, so clearly it can be done on current gen tech, it's just Nintendo who chose to cheap out as usual. I'll pick it up on PS3, but it would have been interesting to see what they used the U-pad for, maybe they will have some kind of Vita second screen functionality baked into the PS3 version.

Kabouter

Seriously, knocking the Metro guys for their tech is bonkers.

It's the only response I would expect from people who just spent hundreds of dollars on a product/are about to spend a similar amount on one and don't want to hear that the product isn't all they were hoping it to be.

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
:'(

Sorry am reading into your comment and avatar. Which is possibly unfair. There is a point somewhere, am not sure what it is.
Buy a PC?

A brand new console just came out and is already getting shunned by devs who don't find it worthwhile to make (port) games for it. Its going down the same pattern as the Wii, which was also trash.

Lol what does a PC have to do with anything?

ASIS

Vs who? Who is saying otherwise?

Come on guys is this topic really going to devolve into trying to discredit these guys by calling them liars, lazy, etc.? Maybe..just maybe the CPU is a piece of shit. But I want to know a lot more about the GPU
There have also been many comments regarding the CPU, none of them stated that it was "horrible".

Because it doesn't sound like sugar-coated, politically-correct PR.
so anything negative = truth?

Again I am NOT trying to discredit the OP. I actually believe everything they said. But I just want to know how some just pick and choose what is legit and what isn't.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
Remember those days, months ago, when no one would believe the rumors and comments on how the Wii U was going to be disappointing when it comes to its hardware power?

It's sad to say, but I wish Nintendo would just stop trying to "reinvent video games" if their consoles always have to suffer in performance and because of that lose(mostly western) third party support. What's the point in having a unique console if the great 3rd party games are rare?

Sure, i love what they did with Miiverse and the Gamepad, but if the console is so weak that third party support is going to be terrible, or their games are going to run terrible, then all i'm going to play is Nintendo games. It's not going to be worth it very much in the end. And once again, like the past years, i'll go back to only play PC games with the rare AAA Nintendo game that comes out once or twice every year.

onQ123

Hey Gaf remember when onQ123 said that the WiiU CPU was a triple core Wii CPU but clocked higher with a few updates & people said I was crazy to believe what I had heard?

Sony should move slightly towards them imo. Just in terms of profits.

MS am more worried is going in the direction of PS3 but am hoping thats just a lot of bollocks being spouted and their going for the more conservative estimates than some users are applying to rumours.

I'm going to laugh so hard if the rumors are completely false and Durango is actually a weak, sub-Wii-U level / Kinect-focused "multimedia experience."

hemo memo

Gold Member
elephant.jpg

There have also been many comments regarding the CPU, none of them stated that it was "horrible".

And some developers have different priorities. For a game that is going to be CPU intensive the CPU will be terrible for them. For others it may not matter as much.

patapuf

That kind of logic seems to be settling for a "band-aid" solution to a problem. I mean it's a legitimate solution of course, but it just feels like settling for mediocrity because a company can't seem to figure out how to enter the 21st century technology wise.

You buy a console for the games if the games are good the Wii U is still worth a pruchase.

Of course it would be nice if it was more powerful but as long as the software offerings are good theres no need for "settling"

BlackJace

Damn son. So CPU and RAM are both "worse". All we need is eDRAM and GPU. Try to keep it civil and classy in here though, guys.
Highly doubt that will happen though :p

The great thing about the Wii U is how easy it'll be for developers to port over Durango/Orbis multiplatform titles because the hardware is.....uhh....hmmm....wait

What I meat to say is how great it'll be to finally get 360 and PS3 titles because it'll be pretty painless for them to......to......uh.....because next gen and all......and......ummm......

Well, at least it'll play a kart game.

UberTag

I agree.. Wii__ titles are the way to go. Wii isnt for games like metro anyways. its for the casual crowd.
Casual crowd won't buy a $349 console that doesn't have a bowling game for their grandmas.
Sadly the WiiU fails to enhance the Just Dance experience which has been the Wii's killer app (and closet escape) for the past 2 years (along with Netflix).
Nobody wants to dance holding a touchpad.

(
Xenoblade Chronicles = game of the year
)

My opinion is F the casuals. WiiU will... eventually... be worthwhile for the Nintendo IPs, Monolithsoft titles and exclusive third-party Japanese support.
Then again, I loved my Gamecube. And it was a last place console just one short generation ago.

(
The WiiU is just as much a system for casuals as the Gamecube was.
)

golem

Amazingly the dude mentions a PS3 port specifically, so clearly it can be done on current gen tech, it's just Nintendo who chose to cheap out as usual. I'll pick it up on PS3, but it would have been interesting to see what they used the U-pad for, maybe they will have some kind of Vita second screen functionality baked into the PS3 version.

Well to be fair it is pretty much known how to get good performance out of a PS3 at this point. For a mid sized dev team to spend those resources getting a Wii U version up to par would probably be a waste of money.

Ridley327

I absolutely love how blunt he is about it!

slightly off topic, but do we have a release date for the PC version?

It's been delayed past its original release window due to the THQ financial situation right now. I think it's best to hold tight and wait for more news.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I wonder if any other unannounced ports have been quietly canned because of performance issues.

Embarrassing climb-down for all concerned here, though. Better the game was never announced or shown than to be announced and then canned with very public criticism of the hardware. Nicely timed for launch too.

BlankaBR

Banned
At this point, with all negative comments by developers its hard to believe that the Wii U is even on par with the current generation..

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
Or--crazy thought--the Zelda 2011 demo was a pre-rendered bullshit scene with lighting triggers that made people look at it and go "WOW IT'S SO BEAUTIFUL".

That's pretty impressive pre-rendering technology. I thought you could move the camera around. So the WiiU is playing back 1000s of videos just to respond to user commands?

Wow.

SoulPlaya

more money than God
As long as Nintendo keeps making great games why should I care what third parties think?
Because you should raise your expectations, especially when you're paying possibly $350 for it. You're a consumer, and should demand the most for your money. Great Nintendo games plus 3rd party support.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Oh man, the Wii U seems like a total flip for developers used to porting games to PS3. The 360 was very balanced, it seems, while the PS3 always gave developers issues as a result of its strong, but bizarre, CPU architecture combined with a slow GPU. The Wii U seems to offer a much faster GPU than the PS3 along with a much slower CPU.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
All those countless Wii U spec threads filled with endless hype were leading to the glorious nega-orgasm that is this hardware's release.

I wonder if any other unannounced ports have been quietly canned because of performance issues.

Pretty sure Crysis 2 was supposed to be coming. Maybe they recognised it was too late and have gone straight to Crysis 3, dunno.

Top Bottom