• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light Preview (Sequel to Metro 2033) [2012, Multiplayer, Screenshots]

venne

I'll check it out if I get it free with a graphics card purchase like the last one.

Can't say I was terribly impressed by the original.

Angry Fork

AWWW_YEAH_Funny_Pictures_3-s250x196-182807-535.png

DAY ONE. I loved Metro 2033. The atmosphere and visuals on PC are soooo good. Don't care about multi player though and am annoyed they're wasting time with that shit but it's expected these days.

The only things i'd want improved from the first was some more varied environments and the gunplay was a bit wonky even though I loved the shotgun. I also hated the stealth missions (even though stealth is optional, I prefer to stealth when I can), I don't like when games allow you to use stealth and then don't tell/show you how to avoid being seen. You can't really tell whether the shadow you're in will completely hide you or if they'll hear a certain footstep etc.

Screenshots don't look that good imo but it's still a long ways away, lots of time for improvement and direct video of maxed out PC version later on.

BeeDog

Talk about "fake"/doctored "screenshots", but still, looking forward to this game. The first one was good, but not great, and I hope they can step it up for the sequel.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
As I was moderator for THQ/KAOS on Homefront I may possibly be involved with this game as lead moderator as well, I am excited to see what the team comes up with!

Dennis

Banned
Deadly Cyclone said:
As I was moderator for THQ/KAOS on Homefront I may possibly be involved with this game as lead moderator as well, I am excited to see what the team comes up with!
Ask the team how much of that snow screenshot is bull and how much is real.

ShdwDrake

Banned
-Uncharted 2 Multi announced:

God no why????

Game comes out... OMG SO AWESOME!!

-Assasins Creed Multi announced:

Omg no!! That wont even work!

Game comes out... OMG ITS SOO EPIC!!

Seriously GAF stfu about multi in sequels where the original had no multi.

ArjanN

I NEED SCISSORS said:
Will buy when it hits £5, like the last game did a few weeks after release.

Please fix:

- character models
- monster designs
- boring story
- remove the narration
- add more gunfights
- remove all stealth

Multiplayer is a good start.

Awful, awful suggestions.

Angry Fork

I don't get how you guys are acting like they're bullshots, they look obviously in-game in alpha stage or something to me. They don't look that good if you ignore the depth of field which may be the only doctored thing about them. There's noticeable jaggies, has weak textures etc. the first game maxed out looks better than those screens. Hell games like Just Cause 2 maxed out, Mafia 2 etc. look better imo. It doesn't bother me since I know there'll be tons of improvement by next year but the bullshots thing is confusing me.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
ShdwDrake said:
-Uncharted 2 Multi announced:

God no why????

Game comes out... OMG SO AWESOME!!

-Assasins Creed Multi announced:

Omg no!! That wont even work!

Game comes out... OMG ITS SOO EPIC!!

Seriously GAF stfu about multi in sequels where the original had no multi.

Bwahaha. No. UC2 MP was good for awhile, but some patches kind of fucked it up. UC3 looks like a clusterfuck of shit in its MP. Assassin's Creed MP was a mess from beta. Terrible MP.

Binabik15

I only played on Ranger easy, but tunnel fighting monsters, running out of ammo and explosives, having my mask shattered, then knifing monsters while running in and out of toxic areas with my vision blurring and killing the last monster with my last breath so to speak before sprinting back to safety = super mega duper awesome

True, the fight could´ve been over much earlier if I hadn´t accidentaly skipped the talking part and known I had to arm bombs (And where), but hey, still one of the best gaming moments I had this year.

Improve perfomance, don´t dumb the game down, that´s all I´m asking for.

Mr_Brit

Banned
nextgeneration said:
If you turn up MSAA to 4x, I imagine the gameplay will be close to these shots.
You're quite gullible. They've clearly photoshopped those 'screenshots' like crazy as well as supersampling them. At launch, no one will be playing a game that looks anything remotely like that.

Angry Fork

Mr_Brit said:
You're quite gullible. They've clearly photoshopped those 'screenshots' like crazy as well as supersampling them. At launch, no one will be playing a game that looks anything remotely like that.
A LOT of the maxed out screenshots in the PC screenshot thread look WAY better than the ones in OP. I really don't see what you guys are seeing that makes those screens look like bullshots.

Mr_Brit

Banned
Angry Fork said:
A LOT of the maxed out screenshots in the PC screenshot thread look WAY better than the ones in OP. I really don't see what you guys are seeing that makes those screens look like bullshots.
You seriously can't see all the photoshopping going on?

Mr_Brit said:

Yeah, these shots look photoshopped. I'm just saying that with 4x MSAA, while the game won't look like that, it should still look pretty damn good.

Revenant

solid game, I felt it kind of tapered off near the finale but there were some really strong parts during the game, not to mention it looked fantastic.

Sequel looks to be following suit nicely.

Angry Fork

Mr_Brit said:
You seriously can't see all the photoshopping going on?
I can't see it. I can circle lots of points where the vegetation looks bad, the concrete textures look bad, lots of jaggies/sharp edges etc. but the only thing I see that's obviously photoshop is depth of field stuff, which isn't that big of a deal (the 3rd screenshot is obviously overdone though). If they did photoshop this then they did a terrible job because it can look way better.

JaxJag

Banned
I NEED SCISSORS said:

Please fix:

- character models
- monster designs
- boring story
- remove the narration
- add more gunfights
- remove all stealth

So basically you want Call of Duty and not a sequel to Metro 2033?

Jenga

Banned
why not take all that manpower put into mp and make extra campaigns or something

nowadays it's all throwaway TDM class shit

what i want is more singleplayer goodness

Q8D3vil

JaxJag said:
So basically you want Call of Duty and not a sequel to Metro 2033?
seriously, metro 2033 story is pretty good(video game wise its better than 99% of the games this gen).

ArjanN

Stallion Free said:
Everything on that list he made was executed really poorly :(

I thought most of it was OK, for example I thought the monster design was really good. Anyway, they should strive to improve in those areas, not just turn the game into a run of the mill shooter. Removing stealth and adding more gunfights would totally change the nature of the game.

PooBone

Sounds good, I really liked the first one, maybe more in concept than execution. It got stupidly frustrating at times because of glitches or wonky AI. I hope they retain the horror aspects of the original.

SPEA

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Please fix:

- character models
- monster designs
- boring story
- remove the narration
- add more gunfights
- remove all stealth

Do NOT fucking listen to this man.

PooBone

I NEED SCISSORS said:

Please fix:

- character models
- monster designs
- boring story
- remove the narration
- add more gunfights
- remove all stealth

Your name should be "I NEED SCISSORS TO FALL ON" because that is maybe the worst post I've ever seen on GAF.

krakov

I hope this turns out well, Metro 2033 is easily my GOTY last year and one of few games I replayed back to back. I don't care for MP at all and I think it's a sure bet it'll be more or less dead in a month.

Does anyone know the song and/or artist in the teaser?

I never played the first one, but I like the narrative/environment concept. I guess it's time to check it out.

Reknoc

cagelessrat said:
Does anyone know the song and/or artist in the teaser?

I never played the first one, but I like the narrative/environment concept. I guess it's time to check it out.

Portishead - Machine Gun.

Really like the trailer, fits so well with the music. Love the artwork as well.

Reknoc said:
Portishead - Machine Gun.

Really like the trailer, fits so well with the music. Love the artwork as well.

Thanks! I love it.
I went to the youtube video for the song...and all the comments are, "I watched the Metro Last Light trailer, and now I'm here." Haha.

Wazzim said:
I hope they optimize it this time, the first one kills any GPU even today with DoF on lol.

Although the advanced options probably made a difference to the iq, I really didn't notice when switching them off.

soultron

Banned
Need to play the first one still. (From the sounds of it, on Ranger mode.)

I hope the MP will be done well and not do any of the following:
-COD4 clone
-be terrible

All that being said, looking forward to this. Those bullshots are delicious. The first game looked so good that I wouldn't be surprised if the PC version looked somewhat close to that in the end.

Nizz

Pleasantly surprised this is coming to PS3. :) I've heard good things about the first game so I look forward to this one.

I see people only offering knee-jerk reactions yet again without even bothering to counter my points, so i'll just take this opportunity to further strengthen them.

Please fix:

- character models..
.. the bodies and costumes are excellent. However, the faces leave a lot to be desired. Everyone looks too 'sharp', has skin too clean and plastic-like, and have eyes too wide. I often felt the piercing wrath of this fellow in my playthrough:

Khan!.jpg

They need more realistic eyes for a start and a better skin texture with more pores visible. Children's bodies also need to have better scale.

- monster designs..
.. particularly these ape-like monsters:

metro_feature_04.jpg

I have said this numerous times before, but they are simply an uninspired "big brute" design that you see in countless other media. They are generic and their AI is just mindless. When fighting them, they basically act like bullet sponges, absorbing all your precious ammo and offering no distinct reactions depending on where you hit them. Another thing 4A need to improve is the variety of sounds the monsters make when they hit the player (in fact sound design as a whole needs to be fixed too - the shotgun melee attack sounds like squeezing out a shit).

The flying creatures were pretty cool, but the apes were the majority of the enemies so I mainly judge it by them.

- boring story..
.. when you break down the plot in Metro 2033 to its core, it is practically a point A to B journey... like, you literally move up a tunnel from one part to the other. You stop along the way and befriend some characters like Khan and Bourbon, but most encounters are throwaway and only somewhat improve the journey, not the final outcome. Once you reach the end, they are meaningless. The ending was also pretty hastily done, showing no repercussions for your actions (but I guess that is what the sequel is for..). The whole Dark Ones sub-plot with the hallucinations was confusing, especially when they tried to unsuccessfully replicate some FEAR-esque mindfuck sequences. Leave me in reality next time, please.

- remove the narration..
.. I don't know how anyone could argue that this isn't in need of being fixed. Perhaps you all played in Russian. I played in English, which meant my Artyom had zero charisma in the delivery of his lines. He sounded like he had been in a bad accident and had to slur his speech, never injecting any proper emotion or inflection into the dialogue. iirc, he also never spoke in the game... why not?

- add more gunfights..
.. one of the areas which shined in 2033 were the larger gunfights, as opposed to creeping through the linear Metro tunnels. Stuff like the intro, holding off waves of a Dark One attack, fighting tons of Nazis in the snow and a few fights in the last chapter were moments where I actually saw the more action-orientated potential that the game had. 4A proved they can do exciting set-pieces, so why not make the entire game like that without making you traipse around for the sake of the 'atmosphere' and story in RPG-lite town sections?

- remove all stealth..
.. a shining beacon of why this would be a good idea is Chapter 3, when Bourbon gets captured. The stealth is as woefully tacked-on as the majority of other FPS games, relying more on luck than skill and not showing any leniency for player mistakes. The guard's AI is just too vigilant, their patrol routes too fast, and at the moment they find a dead body you are fucked. If you aren't making a fully fledged stealth game, you best make some concessions to fit it into your game properly.

And yes, multiplayer is a good start because the game was 6.5 hours long with limited replay value (let's just say I wouldn't want to play it again). It needs some sort of incentive to keep people playing.

Top Bottom