• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Last Light system requirements are out (first game that recommends Titan?)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Man, I didn't think anything would ever recommend a Titan. I assumed they'd stop at 680.

The feature list has me salivating though. I wonder if 2048x2048 textures will the the standard for next gen?

Trickster

Yup. Any game that needs fricken Titan to run at Optimal levels shows a dev that can't optimize for shite.

Optimum is talking about 2560x, max DirectX 11 game settings with full-res fullscreen effects, DirectX 11 object and environment tessellation, 2048x2048 textures, and hardware PhysX effects.

I'm fairly certain you'd need a pretty damn good rig to run games that look worse than last light as similar settings.

RobbieH

The negative reactions when games scale up well are really counterproductive.

Indeed. Misleading title aside there are some very strange posts in this thread. Done with PC gaming? What to expect with GTX 680 SLI? Come on now.

Run it at all - GTS 250.
Varying degrees of high / maxed quality @ 1080p - 660 Ti and up.
Everything maxed @ 1440p or higher - Titan.

Looking at that list the game would appear to scale very well so I'm not sure where the "unoptimised" posts are coming from.

legacyzero

Banned
As long as the game is better optimized, us proud 670 owners should be fine.

2033 was a fucking mess. Frame drops all over the place.

With 8gb DDR5 I expect no less than a 4096x4096 minimum for textures.

I can see some facial textures being that highres next gen.

I hope my 1.28 GB VRAM does not choke super hard (570 SLI). It kinda sucks actually, my cards have the shading power for next gen.. but not the VRAM. :(

Guess ill have to upgrade in the Maxwell era.

antitrop

As long as the game is better optimized, us proud 670 owners should be fine.

2033 was a fucking mess. Frame drops all over the place.

I actually re-downloaded it a few days ago to try to get some good 4K shots...

It was extremely painful. Played alright enough for me at 1080p when I played it at release, though.

Gbraga

*Sigh*

Game comes out with graphics that are marginally better than consoles, runs super easy on a wide range of hardware...people bitch. "The PC is being ignored, we're being held by consoles!"

Game comes out with graphics that are specific to the PC version, cutting edge, and requires top end hardware to run ALL (not some, but every single) effect at once...people bitch because it won't magically run on everything.

You guys confuse me sometimes.

Well, I agree with your intentions with this post, but this is not true. People were hyped by the DmC benchmarks showing how it runs flawlessly in pretty much any hardware.

What they must have in mind is that with the same hardware they run DmC on ultra flawlessly, they'll run something that's a HUGE technological leap from DmC, which is not really impressive in that regard, even though the game looks beautiful and it's one of the best looking games of all time imo, I'm always blown away when I play it downsampled from 1800p on my TV, it's gorgeous.

This game on medium won't be more demanding than DmC on Ultra because of poor optimisation, but because it is more demanding. That's it.

Sorral

A Titan is only required if you want to maintain 60fps above 1080p.

Enthusiast hardware for enthusiast settings. Seems alright to me.

Just went through the posts. So they actually have that for above 1080p. This should be great on my rig then and it wasn't as clear as the OP doesn't have that about them running the game on higher resolution with optimum hardware. Awesome especially since that I am finally able to run Metro 2033 really well and play through it.

Their engine's scaling sounds really great and if only more developers will do what 4A Games are doing.

One of the posts said that 2033 favors the higher memory bandwidth on AMD's GPUs over Nvidia's and AnandTech's benchmarks are showing it running in favor of AMD's as well? Pretty funny considering Nvidia's branding is all over this.

Well PS4 had a good run.

Or something.

Nvidia scored a coup with this game as a pack in. Screw Bioshock, Tomb, I want this game. FPS is the only genre (besides RTS) PC controls better *ducks*

Anyways, it's the nature of PC, crank trivial settings like AA high enough and you can bring virtually any card to it's knees (for very little improvement in IQ)

I ONLY NEED 4 TERAFLOPS TO MAKE THIS GAME LOOK 3% BETTER

Gbraga

Well PS4 had a good run.

Or something.

Nvidia scored a coup with this game as a pack in. Screw Bioshock, Tomb, I want this game. FPS is the only genre (besides RTS) PC controls better *ducks*

That would make sense if you couldn't use controllers on PC.

Demon Ice

Banned
Well, I agree with your intentions with this post, but this is not true. People were hyped by the DmC benchmarks showing how it runs flawlessly in pretty much any hardware.

True, but I think that was mainly because DMC is supposed to be a 60 FPS franchise, and the console versions were running at 30 FPS, so people were just relieved that at least one version would run at the proper frame rate.

What they must have in mind is that with the same hardware they run DmC on ultra flawlessly, they'll run something that's a HUGE technological leap from DmC, which is not really impressive in that regard, even though the game looks beautiful and it's one of the best looking games of all time imo, I'm always blown away when I play it downsampled from 1800p on my TV, it's gorgeous.

This game on medium won't be more demanding than DmC on Ultra because of poor optimisation, but because it is more demanding.
That's it.

Agreed. People need to stop claiming it's "poorly optimized" because it pushes hardware.

Witchfinder General

punched Wheelchair Mike
Andy, would this give 30fps or more on optimized?

3570k @ 4.4Ghz
GTX 670 OC
16GB

What about at 1080p with everything maxxed? Would I get smooth framerates?

Hypron

The atmosphere was the best, play it again on normal/easy. Hard is a chore. Its a really good FPS. More games in the genre should take queues from it.

Or play the game on any of the two ranger difficulties. You are less resistant but your enemies are weaker as well. Less ammo is available as well. It really enhanced the game.

Went back to the game again with my new ati 7870 on very high turning on advanced DOF halves my fps and all it does is blur part of my screen, look at god rays frame rate goes to 10 fps. Yeah.. Will Last light look better and be less demanding for same effects?

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Just went through the posts. So they actually have that for above 1080p. This should be great on my rig then and it wasn't as clear as the OP doesn't have that about them running the game on higher resolution with optimum hardware. Awesome especially since that I am finally able to run Metro 2033 really well and play through it.

Check the bottom of the OP. ;)

do you even know what the word optimized means?

no you weren't, you're just back pedalling. now take your punishment.

LOL!!

To be honest I think this game will be just like its predecessor - A completely mediocre gameplay experience with great atmosphere and visuals but trust me I am trolling when I have a issue with a dev telling me that a maxed game experience goes side by side with the highest end card available. Of course they are going to allow their engine to take advantage of that. Why even have that card around otherwise.

I was able to play Crysis 3 at a pretty steady 30 with 2X TXAA and max settings at 1080P with a 4GBGTX670 so hopefully that remains the case here. Would love 60 but I like my depth of field effects <3

Should I buy a second 670 down the line when I get the money or just wait until I can afford a titan?

Daingurse

I was able to play Crysis 3 at a pretty steady 30 with 2X TXAA and max settings at 1080P with a 4GBGTX670 so hopefully that remains the case here. Would love 60 but I like my depth of field effects <3

Should I buy a second 670 down the line when I get the money or just wait until I can afford a titan?

I'm also debating whether to get a second 670 or wait for a card refresh. I honestly don't want to be stuck with 2GB going into next gen though to be honest. Might just continue using my 670 for as long as I can and upgrade to another single card solution later.

But sheeeeit if you can afford a Titan then I'd go for it, plenty of delicious VRAM on that bad boy.

jns

Great news that those of us with higher powered rigs are being looked after. I guess the only thing I have to complain to my local politician about now is not receiving a free copy of Last Light with my earlier Titan purchase.

I guess I could use it as an incentive to buy another...

Thanks for the good news thread; can't wait to wind this bad boy out :)

Wag

Great news that those of us with higher powered rigs are being looked after. I guess the only thing I have to complain to my local politician about now is not receiving a free copy of Last Light with my earlier Titan purchase.

I guess I could use it as an incentive to buy another...

Thanks for the good news thread; can't wait to wind this bad boy out :)

I just bought a 2nd Titan so now I get a free copy of the game. $1020 free game!!!! Wheeeeeee!!!!!

Does this game use the same engine as Metro 2033? That one pushed my Tri-Crossfire 6950 setup hard with all the settings maxed out.

Top Bottom