• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metro: Redux |OT| Once more into the Metro, with feeling!

Bi50N if you're still listening. Would it be possible to get FOV slider added to the game for the PC version? It's a feature that's quite sought after in first person PC games.

That's an impressive framerate on High.

To be fair, he has one of the best GPU and CPU's on the market.

I have a 4770k@4ghz and a GTX 780 and I expect similar performance. Though I won't be playing at that resolution. Seems silly to sacrifice framerate for image quality to me.

IndustryX

Just playing on PS4, game looks great but noticed a couple of audio glitches, first time i fired my fun there was no sound, and sometimes sound effects don't go off properly.

Kssio_Aug

Ok, now I will start playing Metro 2033 seriously. Am not sure wich difficulty settings should I choose. I think I will want the spartan experience, but should I go with Normal, Ranger or Hard?

Fbh

sigh, apparently it isn't a big enough title to get to my area for launch day.
I went to almost all the stores that are near me and they all told me they will have it by the end of the week. Guess I'll just have to wait a few more days

The Chef

sigh, apparently it isn't a big enough title to get to my area for launch day.
I went to almost all the stores that are near me and they all told me they will have it by the end of the week. Guess I'll just have to wait a few more days

Or download?

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Another PS4 game with crappy sound bugs.

I've fired my gun several times and have gotten no gunshot sound.

I swear to god, there is something wrong with the PS4 sound libraries. This is literally the 8th big game to have glaring sound issues.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

I swear to god, there is something wrong with the PS4 sound libraries. This is literally the 8th big game to have glaring sound issues.
That happened a lot in what I played of the PS3 version of Last Light.

The Chef

This reminds me. I was watching a video of this (not sure if it was 2033 or Last Light) but I could not believe my ears when I heard those crappy reload sound effects. The shotgun too. It was like those sound FX I used to download when making Flash animations back in the day. Is that really how it sounds?

MattyG

Banned
In 2033, when (spoilers for chapter 3-4ish)
Khan says that Heaven, Hell and Purgatory were atomized and that's why there are ghosts, does he mean that literally? Like, in this universe, is that why there are those ghosts or is he just using that as an abstract explanation for something he doesn't fully understand?

Glip_Glop

It'll bring most rigs to their knees as SSAA essentially renders the game at a way higher resolution and downsamples it back to the selected resolution. 4x is rendering the game at a very high resolution.
yeah, I've just never came across this setting before in any other game. I selected 4x thinking the rig could handle it, I'm barely getting 30 FPS.

Kyo645

Banned
yeah, I've just never came across this setting before in any other game. I selected 4x thinking the rig could handle it, I'm barely getting 30 FPS.

Yeah had to keep mine at 0.5x to get a constant 60fps. When i turned it to 4x just to test it, my game almost became a slideshow :/

Fbh

Or download?

Yeah but I have a USA account (because the chilean PSN store sucks) so I have to buy a pre paid card which is a pain (you can either buy a $50 card for $60 in retail or buy it on amazon but then I have to go buy USD's in another place as the exchange rate of the bank is a ripoff).

Plus I preffer to buy games in physical format if I have the option

I'd leave it off. And don't set it to 0.5 because that renders the game at half of the display resolution and makes it look like crap. I just turn it off, but I play at 1440p so aliasing isn't a huge issue.

How does this hold up against Wolfenstein TNO in terms of graphics, gameplay (PS4)?

In terms of graphics, Metro blows Wolf out of the water. Wolf looks decent and has great art, but Metro is miles ahead. But I think Wolf is better in terms of gameplay, Metro is a little clunky on a controller.

belmonkey

Yeah had to keep mine at 0.5x to get a constant 60fps. When i turned it to 4x just to test it, my game almost became a slideshow :/

Isn't 0.5x essentially 1/2 of 1080p then? I've seen one person that posted gameplay with a GTX 760, but he was using 0.5x SSAA, and people were commenting on how great the game runs :/

ChawlieTheFair

pip pip cheerio you slags!

Um actually running at the .5x means you are running less than whatever your set resolution is, meaning it looks worse :p.

I've never played 2033. Which is the better game of the two?

I think 2033 has better pacing and much more emphasis on the survival elements that I enjoy. Also has a lot of indoor stealth scenarios which Last Light does as well, but I really enjoyed the ones there. It had some minor jankiness but it's really something special. Last Light is good but it's much more action packed, you have a pretty decent amount of ammo even on Ranger Hardcore, and there are boss fights which are somewhat silly and out of place. Still, both games do FPS stealth and exploration in a way that makes them wholy unique. And for when the shit gets rough, the shooting feels great with weighty weapons. Last Light made it a bit less weighty, but it still has punch.

ChawlieTheFair

2033, the original anyway, was much slower paced and really felt it like it revolved around it's dark and danky themes of the metro. Similar sort of feeling to Stalker. Last Light is much more akin to a modern action shooter, it's not by any means bad, but it gives off more of an adventure vibe.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
Ah, ok. I remember seeing reviews of Metro 2033 and how bullets were something you didn't want to waste.
When I finally played LL I was prepared to conserve my ammo, but it seemed quite plentiful.

So two experiences that are pretty different. I was considering buying one off PSN, but maybe I'll just hold off and get the package down the road.

wait...so PC got a patch that improved the lighting by a lot? are console versions getting this too?!

No reason to think so. They're lacking any kind of tessellation so to think they're going to get the even more intensive lighting effects while maintaining the 60 FPS target is unreasonable. They haven't even added all of them back to the PC version.

Personally I enjoyed LL more but that's just because it played better. Story wise they both feel about the same to me with LL having more enemies and heavier firefights. It's funny going back and forth between 2033 and LL with Redux as I never noticed that both games start in pretty much the exact same way. I do wish the aiming down sights was a little quicker in both as the 60 fps makes it feel even more sluggish than it already did on 360.

Everyone is going to feel a bit differently about the look of the 2033 redux, but I much prefer the look of the redux's outdoor sections over 2033's. I am easy swayed by brightness and color and 2033's original outdoor look was super grey and gloomy. Just got to the Dead City level and love how Redux looks.

15048456632_197a2590de_o.png

DOWN

Banned
Everyone is going to feel a bit differently about the look of the 2033 redux, but I much prefer the look of the redux's outdoor sections over 2033's. I am easy swayed by brightness and color and 2033's original outdoor look was super grey and gloomy. Just got to the Dead City level and love how Redux looks.

Love it too. Looks more realistic to me. Like stunning photography of a blizzard ghost town.

ChawlieTheFair

For real though, this dude ain't got no gloves on.

Dave_6

Anyone with a 7970 able to say how's its running? I won't be able to test it out until I get home from work tonight.

Mine at 1080p runs anywhere from 65+ down to around 30 fps. Everything maxed out except SSAA which I have off. Seems to stay around 50 fps average.

scitek

No reason to think so. They're lacking any kind of tessellation so to think they're going to get the even more intensive lighting effects while maintaining the 60 FPS target is unreasonable. They haven't even added all of them back to the PC version.
I was about to ask if they had it. Tesselation hits my performance by about 10fps regardless of if it's set to Normal or Very High in big spaces, so I'll turn it off for now. I get 60fps with occasional dips at Very High, and a solid 60 at High otherwise.

2GB GTX 670
i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz
8GB RAM

Top Bottom