• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Trailer | Nintendo E3 2021

93xfan

Banned
graphics, whatever. I’ve waited 19 years for Dread to release.

Well then good news, because these graphics would’ve been decent for back then.

Art style though? Not liking the environments so far

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
And this is that shitty argument shut right the fuck down.

100%

Agreed the game is not overpriced at all. it can easily look like shit and still have an asking price of 60
look at Balan wonderworld.

Problem is that Balan is now 14 on amazon. And the creator left square.
If this bad looking game fails to sell then Nintendo will think.. Oh i guess people don't like 2D metroid games.

suicide GIF

HF2014

Having mixed feeling toward Samus Returns, i decide to grab it back. Was disliking the counter moves when i first played it, and now you know what? I am having a blast with it. So looking at Dream im now just saying.BRING IT ON! I was having mixed feeling with what i was seeing from Dread, but christ, its a Metroid game. I wont pass it, will be buying day 1 for sure!

JimboJones

Agreed the game is not overpriced at all. it can easily look like shit and still have an asking price of 60
look at Balan wonderworld.

Problem is that Balan is now 14 on amazon. And the creator left square.
If this bad looking game fails to sell then Nintendo will think.. Oh i guess people don't like 2D metroid games.

suicide GIF

The franchise survived other m and federation force I'm sure it will survive this which at least looks very high quality from a gameplay standpoint.

ikbalCO

I don't understand why journos are excited about this game, in a world where oris, hollow nights and dead cells exist.

Game feels like a worse looking bloodstained and i am being optimistic.

Do we have to pretend this doesnt look bland and boring now?

daveonezero

Banned
I don't understand why journos are excited about this game, in a world where oris, hollow nights and dead cells exist.

I'm not a journo but other seem excited as well. I''m interested to see how this turns out. I think it looks fine. The most important thing will be ho it plays and how well it is designed in upgrades and map. Ori is good. I can't get over the look of Hollow knight enough to buy it and Dead Cells is a completely different type of game.

I enjoyed the DS Castlevanias and Steam World Dig 1 and 2 more than most of these types of games. Especially 2. I didn't play Return either and it is a love it or hate it thing so not sure what to think about it.

TYRiAX

Will have to buy anything Metroid related from Nintendo simply because Super Metroid imprinted itself upon me so dramatically as a kid.

I was disappointed when Samus Returns ended up being 2.5D but quite enjoyed the game once I got my hands on it. I'm sure I'll have a great time with Dread too.

Of course I would prefer 2D sprites but I've long accepted we are never getting games like that again outside the Indie space.

Hollowpoint5557

A Fucking Idiot
K.I.S.S.

Keep it simple stupid.

Give me Super Metroid but a new map. Maybe one new mechanic. That's it, that's all we need for it to be the perfect game. HD rez the super Nintendo graphics, tweak the snes music and recapture the glory. Sometimes less is more.

Last edited:

JeloSWE

It absolutely looks budget.

This shit is comparable to Shadow Complex, an eleven year old XBLA 360 game.
| agree, the first thing that caught my eye was how old and plain the graphics are. I think the main culprit is the lack of shadows in game play. Samus doesn't cast shadows on the floor so she feels kinda pasted in as clip art. There is shadow casting from the main light in the cut scenes but the shadows are very light and the lack of AO makes it look hollow and dated.

PanzerAzel

| agree, the first thing that caught my eye was how old and plain the graphics are. I think the main culprit is the lack of shadows in game play. Samus doesn't cast shadows on the floor so she feels kinda pasted in as clip art. There is shadow casting from the main light in the cut scenes but the shadows are very light and the lack of AO makes it look hollow and dated.
I’m really hoping Prime 4 will bring it up to par and show some passion to their craft, because I’m sorry….in 2021, this doesn’t cut it. The bar for what 2D gaming can achieve has been raised.

I understand Metroid isn’t the biggest seller of theirs, but Ori and TBF cost a million+ to develop and and apparently brought RoI within a matter of days, or so I read. I don’t mind if Nintendo contracts Metroid out, but I’d like to think they’d show a bit more ambition than this.

Metroid’s one of their classic franchises they should splurge on.

cireza

Do you think the first area in every game has the same aesthetic as the rest of the game?
It was the case in Samus Returns. They simply changed the color. It went from "everything is purple" to "everything is yellow", more or less.

Maybe this was an homage to the 4 colors of the Gameboy screen though...

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
Where’s the color and wonderful atmosphere?

Even though the color complaint is overblown in my book, I could maybe entertain where y'all are coming from but no atmosphere?

Come on. Game already has a great atmosphere and if you think watching people stream and talk over the game does any justice as to what it'll be like when you're playing by yourself at your own pace then I dunno what to tell you.

Samus Returns had no shortage of excellent music and atmosphere, what makes anyone think Dread will be any different, especially on more powerful hardware in the next mainline entry in the series?

Feels like people have lost their minds with some of the ridiculous shit I'm reading regarding Dread.

Then again portions of this fanbase fucking pissed themselves over Other M and Federation Force so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:

NT80

Looks better than Bloodstained to me and most of the other recent 2D games. I never liked the garish looking cell shading or the stiff animations of Bloodstained. This animates a lot better and I like the look of the bosses. Don't know why people are being so critical. Only a small portion of the game has been shown but the areas look typical of Metroid.

TaroYamada

Even though the color complaint is overblown in my book, I could maybe entertain where y'all are coming from but no atmosphere?

Come on. Game already has a great atmosphere and if you think watching people stream and talk over the game does any justice as to what it'll be like when you're playing by yourself at your own pace then I dunno what to tell you.

Samus Returns had no shortage of excellent music and atmosphere, what makes anyone think Dread will be any different, especially on more powerful hardware in the next mainline entry in the series?

Feels like people have lost their minds with some of the ridiculous shit I'm reading regarding Dread.

Then again portions of this fanbase fucking pissed themselves over Other M and Federation Force so maybe I shouldn't be surprised.
I think a lot of younger folks grew up on Prime and then never gave a serious look at the 2D titles. Admittedly 4 appears to be a clusterfuck with the restarted development. Retro should have been handling it from day one.

It's largely irrelevant however as regards 2D Metroid titles and their quality. I really prefer the 2D titles but I think there's a segment of the fanbase that's really *Prime* fans and not *Metroid* fans.

Last edited:

4EZCOOLDART

It absolutely looks budget.

This shit is comparable to Shadow Complex, an eleven year old XBLA 360 game.

Nintendo is never about graphics though. This game will be polished and organically teach new players the mechanics. It will be (or at least SHOULD be) good in a million little ways that you don't notice but are infuriating when they aren't done right.

carlosrox

Banned
Nintendo is never about graphics though.

I mean, it's never their focus outright but Nintendo knows how to make gorgeous looking games - whether you wanna say "for the hardware" is up to you, but I need no such distinction. They know how to make pretty games, period. They've almost always made pretty games. The one time their graphics were definitely dated and not the most appealing was the Wii, and even then I'd say their games were good looking "for the hardware".

MK8, BOTW, Luigi's Mansion 3, Mario Odyssey, Tropical Freeze, Smash Ultimate, etc are just a few recent examples of the very nice looking games Nintendo puts out.

Dread looks just fine to me. We'll see how it runs and looks when it's released. Willing to bet it'll be better than what we've seen. Nintendo games almost always look better the closer they are to getting finished and they made it clear tha the Treehouse build was an unfinished build. It can only look and run better from here on out, and it's not even something I'm banking on since I like the visuals. Very nicely detailed with tons of little touches. I can't wait.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
I got to watch the Treehouse footage.

Much more interesting than the trailer.

I'd get the game for sure. Does have a dated feel to it, but it's a 90s style game, so we'll see how that goes.

I'm excited to try it.

PanzerAzel

Nintendo is never about graphics though. This game will be polished and organically teach new players the mechanics. It will be (or at least SHOULD be) good in a million little ways that you don't notice but are infuriating when they aren't done right.
Nintendo was, at a time.

I remember when Super and Prime dropped….at the time, they were hugely impressive and pushed boundaries visually and technologically, and they still hold up today. Super still is a visually pleasing experience even after all these years. Mode 7, Super FX Chip. I remember having my mind blown by Starfox. Nintendo was once a company I looked to to see the edge being pushed.

I‘ve noticed that throughout the years, they’ve become a lot more conservative in their expenditures. Not all (BotW), but in places. I understand Metroid isn’t their greatest seller and holds more of a western appeal, but it’s never lost them money, and a bit more investment presents them no real risk. They are also supporting an ecosystem, so viewing Metroid‘s RoI in ascertaining whether it’s a prudent investment should be wagered in the macro, not the singular in viewing one game as a product instead of a compliment to a greater whole. I reject the “Metroid doesn’t sell” excuse. Metroid helps to sell.

Probably an unpopular opinion I realize, but I believe Nintendo’s treatment of Metroid is largely dictated by myopia, laziness and greediness. They know it’s not going to sell gangbusters like Kart, so they accord it minimalistic effort and financial backing. We wait YEARS for a new 2D Metroid, begging and pleading, and they view this acceptable? Where is their ambition and passion, because frankly, this shit looks incredibly uninspired visually. Sorry, I’m happy that some are excited for this, but personally, presentation is a significant part of why I engage in this medium. It‘s part of my enjoyment, it matters, and the bar has been raised in what 2D gaming can afford by a large degree to what Dread is offering. This just looks amateurish.

I simply cannot get enthused for something that looks ten to fifteen years aged, especially after games like Ori show what is possible (and Blind Forest was six years ago now). I hold out hope for Prime 4, but am honestly not holding my breath.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nintendo was, at a time.

I remember when Super and Prime dropped….at the time, they were hugely impressive and pushed boundaries visually and technologically, and they still hold up today. Super still is a visually pleasing experience even after all these years. Mode 7, Super FX Chip. I remember having my mind blown by Starfox. Nintendo was once a company I looked to to see the edge being pushed.

I‘ve noticed that throughout the years, they’ve become a lot more conservative in their expenditures. Not all (BotW), but in places. I understand Metroid isn’t their greatest seller and holds more of a western appeal, but it’s never lost them money, and a bit more investment presents them no real risk. They are also supporting an ecosystem, so viewing Metroid‘s RoI in ascertaining whether it’s a prudent investment should be wagered in the macro, not the singular in viewing one game as a product instead of a compliment to a greater whole. I reject the “Metroid doesn’t sell” excuse. Metroid helps to sell.

Probably an unpopular opinion I realize, but I believe Nintendo’s treatment of Metroid is largely dictated by myopia, laziness and greediness. They know it’s not going to sell gangbusters like Kart, so they accord it minimalistic effort and financial backing. We wait YEARS for a new 2D Metroid, begging and pleading, and they view this acceptable? Where is their ambition and passion, because frankly, this shit looks incredibly uninspired visually. Sorry, I’m happy that some are excited for this, but personally, presentation is a significant part of why I engage in this medium. It‘s part of my enjoyment, it matters, and the bar has been raised in what 2D gaming can afford by a large degree to what Dread is offering. This just looks amateurish.

I simply cannot get enthused for something that looks ten to fifteen years aged, especially after games like Ori show what is possible (and Blind Forest was six years ago now). I hold out hope for Prime 4, but am honestly not holding my breath.
There are some things where I feel Nintendo is very odd in their reasoning and out of sync with their fans and things where I feel they are in sync and both are odd…

See Super Mario Odyssey and the full 3D / open Mario games… they sell a LOT, they are relatively neck and neck with a sensation such as BotW which enjoyed also being identified with Switch at launch… yet it seems like Nintendo has to be dragged over the coals before they make such a game and no way they could make a sequel to it or additional levels in DLC packs. Best they can do is to take the 3DWorld formula (part of a different Mario series type according to Nintendo) and trying a mix of the two approaches in the Bowser’s Fury extension almost as if they said “look we will throw you a bone here, please stop asking us to make games in the SM64 open level style 😂.

Last edited:

DGrayson

Mod Team and Bat Team
Staff Member
There are some things where I feel Nintendo is very odd in their reasoning and out of sync with their fans and things where I feel they are in sync and both are odd…

See Super Mario Odyssey and the full 3D / open Mario games… they sell a LOT, they are relatively neck and neck with a sensation such as BotW which enjoyed also being identified with Switch at launch… yet it seems like Nintendo has to be dragged over the coals before they make such a game and no way they could make a sequel to it or additional levels in DLC packs. Best they can do is to take the 3DWorld formula (part of a different Mario series type according to Nintendo) and trying a mix of the two approaches in the Bowser’s Fury extension almost as if they said “look we will throw you a bone here, please stop asking us to make games in the SM64 open level games 😂.

I stopped trying to guess why they do what they do a couple years ago. Im a former Nintendo fanboy but at this point I find it best for my sanity if I just wait to see what actually releases and then see if the games are good or not.

Only for Zelda I find it hard to break my old mindset, like I really want BOTW2 and I want it now and I want a new 2D Zelda and I want it yesterday!

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I am so damn excited for this game.

I want the Chozo to be a villain, and I also want some serious Prometheus and Covenant homages.

They've paid homage to every single film in the Alien series so it'd be great if they kept that tradition alive and did it again and I'm fairly confident they will.

This game is gonna be an event for me. Samus Returns was excellent, and as I played it I couldn't help but fantasize about a console port or sequel. And here we are.

This wait is gonna be hard.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I had no idea that Kenji Yamamoto did indeed work on the Samus Returns soundtrack.

I don't remember hearing his trademark chanting stuff (except for maybe the Magmoor Caverns track).

While I did love the soundtrack of Samus Returns, I do also want his old sound to come back. A bit more of the melodic stuff. And of course, the chanting.

So now that I know he's involved, I'm kinda surprised there wasn't really any chanting.

Hopefully Dread features it again. I need to hear it again.

BRING IT BACK DUDE! THE FANS NEED IT!

Jeeves

I'm replaying Fusion again in preparation for this. A bit over halfway through the game. Still holds up fantastically, what a treasure. I know people complain about too much text and too much handholding, but really the text is just enough to keep you thinking about what's going on and give purpose to what you're doing moment to moment. I think it's a great balance of story and gameplay. And the game loves to show you where your objective is right before throwing a curveball at you as far as how you're supposed to actually navigate there. You can tell they streamlined a bit with handheld play in mind, but it does feel like you're forging your own path more often than not.

gamer82

i just don't get why Nintendo won't just release the other games even just as a compilation as is. what are they waiting for , 19 years since the last game in the series so let people play the others on switch do another lazy port on a cartridge .

As a big fan of them my god they are so stubborn and you should be honoured they are releasing any games for a console you bought from them to play their first party games .

lets be real thats all i buy Nintendo for i don't play multiplat games on them due to having a ps5.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
Do you guys think they'll have the balls to
keep Ridley dead?
Unlikely.

The Federation is just as corrupt as the Space Pirates. They just aren't vocal about it. Wouldn't put it past them to do some stuff referring to your spoiler.

If the GF wasn't above breeding Metroid's I wouldn't put it past them to clone Ridley

Porcile

I'm replaying Fusion again in preparation for this. A bit over halfway through the game. Still holds up fantastically, what a treasure. I know people complain about too much text and too much handholding, but really the text is just enough to keep you thinking about what's going on and give purpose to what you're doing moment to moment. I think it's a great balance of story and gameplay. And the game loves to show you where your objective is right before throwing a curveball at you as far as how you're supposed to actually navigate there. You can tell they streamlined a bit with handheld play in mind, but it does feel like you're forging your own path more often than not.

The worst thing about Fusion is the level design. There are just way too many bomb this specific wall or area to progress moments. It feels like every time you start to get moving it throws another one of those at you to arbitrarily hinder your progress. Overall, I think Zero Mission is the most fun and Super is the most interesting and iconic.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
The worst thing about Fusion is the level design. There are just way too many bomb this specific wall or area to progress moments. It feels like every time you start to get moving it throws another one of those at you to arbitrarily hinder your progress. Overall, I think Zero Mission is the most fun and Super is the most interesting and iconic.
Can't relate.

Top Bottom