• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Dread Trailer | Nintendo E3 2021

Porcile

They really kick our arses with the wait for new Metroid's huh. But I'm glad that the series seems to have remained Sakamoto's singular vision the entire time even if it's not the original team anymore.

As for the hate it's getting, enjoy playing nothing, I suppose? The less reactionary ones amongst us will certainly appreciate what we get, because Metroid isn't some yearly Ubisoft/EA experience. So what if every game in the series is not made exactly to the specifications that we want? I think Fusion is pretty awful in many ways, but it is certainly a unique experience and a commendable achievement regardless of its problems. The same goes for Other M and Samus Returns. At least every game in the series has so far been made with some passion and intent to do something different. Every game is relevant.

I really enjoyed hearing Sakamoto's thoughts in the development history. He could have made this game a decade ago, but he chose to hold off instead of making a cookie-cutter Metroid game. Finally we get to see work of a true creator in this industry. I feel like it's been a long time since such a project and Metroid is clearly unique in that respect. We should appreciate that.

Zannegan

I'm still shocked by how much people are ignoring the visuals. Especially for gamers, who are very vocal about that subject....

I know graphics aren't everything, but this is one of the worst looking games I have seen for a big franchise. It looks like an upscaled Wii game on Dolphin.

I'm serious. I can't get over how shitty it looks. I keep watching the trailer to see if I'm missing something, but nope. Looks like a game from three generations ago.
I think it's more art direction than graphics as such. In isolation, each individual piece looks good. It's when you put it all together that the thing starts to look rough.

I honestly think it's a function of A. 2.5D and B. a focus on readability rather than art style. They've sacrificed a lot of those techniques studios can use to make 2.5D look good, like using heavy DoF to separate the foreground from the background, in favor of keeping everything instantly readable. It makes the game look arcadey rather than cinematic.

Then, when you add in those realistic character models and such, I dunno, it's almost like an uncanny valley effect. At least, that's how it is for me. Realistic 2.5D always looks weird, IMO, and it looks weirder the higher fidelity the individual assets are.

Last edited:
I didn’t know there was such a divide between 2D and Prime Metroid fans. My introduction to the series was Fusion first, which made me want a GameCube so I could play Prime 1 and 2. Then I played Zero Mission. Then Prime 3 and Super on the Wii. Loved all of them. Two different takes on the same core game design that equally satisfying imo.

Other M is even pretty good despite lack of a better control option and the horribly written story. And at least Samus Returns was a good course correction despite not being on the same level as Fusion/ZM/Super.

I think Dread will deliver something on par with at least the GBA games because it really looks like they’ve improved the new gameplay aspects SR introduced, while expanding on the SA-X sections of Fusion. I’m hyped.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
didn’t know there was such a divide between 2D and Prime Metroid fans. My introduction to the series was Fusion first, which made me want a GameCube so I could play Prime 1 and 2. Then I played Zero Mission. Then Prime 3 and Super on the Wii. Loved all of them. Two different takes on the same core game design that equally satisfying imo.
I don't get that either. Both Prime and 2D-Metroid are among the best gaming as a whole has to offer. Prime is the ideal transition from 2D to 3D. It couldn't have been better. And 2D-Metroid obviously is still as great as ever despite going 3D with Prime.

Davey Cakes

I didn’t know there was such a divide between 2D and Prime Metroid fans. My introduction to the series was Fusion first, which made me want a GameCube so I could play Prime 1 and 2. Then I played Zero Mission. Then Prime 3 and Super on the Wii. Loved all of them. Two different takes on the same core game design that equally satisfying imo.
I'm pretty sure the vast majority of Metroid fans enjoy both types of games. Super, Prime, and Zero Mission in particular are stellar and come up frequently in discussions about the series. There's just a subset of the fandom that holds Prime as the gold standard, with nothing else being adequate enough. There are also people that aren't impressed by 2D or 2.5D games unless the art style is like a painting.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
I still can't believe we're actually getting Metroid: Dread after all these years..

Just watched all of the Nintendo Treehouse footage and it looks great imo. I like the transitions to first person and 3rd person, reminds me of Metroid: Other M. Can't wait to play it!

Andyliini

Just watched all of the Nintendo Treehouse footage and it looks great imo. I like the transitions to first person and 3rd person, reminds me of Metroid: Other M. Can't wait to play it!
I think the first-person view was only made for trailer purposes, I don't think it will appear in the game itself.

Add me to the Other M fans as well. I truly enjoyed it when the game released. It did not work for masses, but Nintendo really tried to do something different there. The game is also quite a looker, it still looks good with higher resolution.

CGiRanger

Banned
I haven't seen much hate except for this place. The game is getting pretty universal praise on most of the net and social media so far.

And that IGN impression is laughable (and already moving towards being ratiod). First the person talking sounds like an emotionless robot in a monotone voice, and his "generic" talking point is well.....generic.

Synless

I’m fucking psyched for the game. I’ve waited so damn long for this. It looks good, it will play good. Samus Returns on 3DS was a solid 8/10 game and guess what? This game will be solid as well.

If my many years of Gaf have taught me anything, it’s that there will always be incredibly vocal haters in every thread for every game.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I'm still shocked by how much people are ignoring the visuals. Especially for gamers, who are very vocal about that subject....

I know graphics aren't everything, but this is one of the worst looking games I have seen for a big franchise. It looks like an upscaled Wii game on Dolphin.

I'm serious. I can't get over how shitty it looks. I keep watching the trailer to see if I'm missing something, but nope. Looks like a game from three generations ago.

No idea what you people are talking about.

And plenty of people are crapping on the visuals.

Last edited:

carlosrox

Banned
I haven't seen much hate except for this place.

Yup. Kinda sad. GAF can be pretty anti-Nintendo sometimes (not saying everyone, but a lot of people).

There's a lot of positivity about Dread even here but then I'm also seeing way more negativity here than anywhere else.

The one thing I like about ResetEra is their Nintendo community. The excitement on there over Dread is something I wish we had here.

Andyliini

Yup. Kinda sad. GAF can be pretty anti-Nintendo sometimes (not saying everyone, but a lot of people).

There's a lot of positivity about Dread even here but then I'm also seeing way more negativity here than anywhere else.

The one thing I like about ResetEra is their Nintendo community. The excitement on there over Dread is something I wish we had here.
It's a pity for sure. We had a decent Nintendo-community here some time ago, but many of them have stopped posting. Hopefully we can build a new one here. I'll try to do some OT's and threads whenevernI have a chance, maybe the community can be rebuilt.

Dr Bass

Hey I'm super excited. I love great graphics, but also sorta don't care.

Gameplay, Mood, Atmosphere. Those things can be done with cheaper graphics and great music. Though I can't say I thought what I've heard so far is that impressive. :messenger_tongue:

As long as the game is well designed and plays great, it looks just fine and could easily end up a classic. I'm really excited that they finally produced this, it plays in 2D and we are getting something different but still firmly in the genre for Metroid.

Lupin3

Targeting terrorists with a D-Pad
Huge Metroid fan, but this trailer didn't do it for me. Looks... half-baked. Perhaps it's the uninspiring 2.5D, I don't know. Gonna play it and probably love it nonetheless, though (You can do it, Nintendo!). But it's sad they didn't dare to go the full 2D/sprite route for this "nowstopyappingaboutPrime4forawhile" game.

Ryu Kaiba

A game from 3 gens ago? If Nintendo released Prime Trilogy remastered it would put this to shame. This looks like a psp game.

Ryu Kaiba

There's Pokemon Sword and Shield levels of copium in this bish. The graphics are whatever I guess the game can still be very good, its just disappointing that Nintendo too often accepts the bare minimum.

That advance wars remake looks bad.

Links awakening remake compared to what could have been looks bad.

The upcoming pokemon remakes look bad.

And now metroid...

The game could be timeless like Hollow knight or Ori, instead its already dated looking. Just want Nintendo to notice and care more.

Last edited:

Porcile

But it's sad they didn't dare to go the full 2D/sprite route for this "nowstopyappingaboutPrime4forawhile" game.

This is the newest entry in the main canon of the series, and for a lot of people, a lot more important than Prime 4. Metroid has never been about just doing what's safe or just playing up to its roots and traditions. It's an experimental and sometimes even avant-garde series of distinct games each with their own flavour and attempts at try something new. There is no way that they will ever go back to GBA graphics for this series, because that just isn't what this series about anymore.

boutrosinit

Street Fighter IV World Champion
Hmmm... Not impressed honestly.

I want to be excited for it, but premise and trailer look uninteresting. Doesn't look as compelling as the much older Super Metroid.

It's missing that special attention to detail and a reason to exist beyond it just having "Metroid" on the box.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Why? Because some babies said so? It looks exactly how I remember the original games looking like.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Just want Nintendo to notice and care more
...if you seriously think Link's Awakening Remake is objectively a bad-looking game they can do without you.

Last edited by a moderator:

kanjobazooie

Mouse Ball Fetishist
I don't mind the Portal-esque art style. Change can be good sometimes.

I just hope they're able to nail the Metroid atmosphere with this style.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
This is the newest entry in the main canon of the series, and for a lot of people, a lot more important than Prime 4. Metroid has never been about just doing what's safe or just playing up to its roots and traditions. It's an experimental and sometimes even avant-garde series of distinct games each with their own flavour and attempts at try something new. There is no way that they will ever go back to GBA graphics for this series, because that just isn't what this series about anymore.
These days, high resolution 2D artwork is a much more experimental and unsafe and untraditional thing as anything compared to 3D assets in a side camera view though.

They are taking the safer and cheaper choice, it does not look bad, but it is what it is.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
They really kick our arses with the wait for new Metroid's huh. But I'm glad that the series seems to have remained Sakamoto's singular vision the entire time even if it's not the original team anymore.

As for the hate it's getting, enjoy playing nothing, I suppose? The less reactionary ones amongst us will certainly appreciate what we get, because Metroid isn't some yearly Ubisoft/EA experience. So what if every game in the series is not made exactly to the specifications that we want? I think Fusion is pretty awful in many ways, but it is certainly a unique experience and a commendable achievement regardless of its problems. The same goes for Other M and Samus Returns. At least every game in the series has so far been made with some passion and intent to do something different. Every game is relevant.

I really enjoyed hearing Sakamoto's thoughts in the development history. He could have made this game a decade ago, but he chose to hold off instead of making a cookie-cutter Metroid game. Finally we get to see work of a true creator in this industry. I feel like it's been a long time since such a project and Metroid is clearly unique in that respect. We should appreciate that.
I deeply enjoyed Metroid Fusion, never got to play Other M though and the reviews and general user consensus kind of kept me off it (3D Metroid for me reached a very very high peak with Metroid Prime).

Given it is a 2.5D, 3D assets based side scroller, developed by a third party like Mercury Steam I want to see it as Sakamoto’s deciding on his own not to go ahead with a potentially green kit Metroid Dread years ago, but I see more of a Nintendo having to kill and restart Metroid Prime 4 development from scratch and contracting Mercury Steam to give them a 2.5D game they could release while MP4’s development was restarting to keep Metroid fans interested.

daclynk

Hmmm... Not impressed honestly.

I want to be excited for it, but premise and trailer look uninteresting. Doesn't look as compelling as the much older Super Metroid.

It's missing that special attention to detail and a reason to exist beyond it just having "Metroid" on the box.
you should check the treehouse footage or direct feed gameplay, if that can change ur mind. it soo smooth in 60frame

Stitch

Gold Member
It needs some kind of (temporal) Anti-Aliasing, but you could say that about pretty much every Nintendo Switch game.

CuNi

Managed to buy the Amiibos on Amazon and the Special Edition from GameStop.
Only hope so far is that they didn't oversell and end up cancelling. Anyone experience with German GameStop pre-orders?

Aldric

There's Pokemon Sword and Shield levels of copium in this bish. The graphics are whatever I guess the game can still be very good, its just disappointing that Nintendo too often accepts the bare minimum.

The upcoming pokemon remakes look bad.

And now metroid...

The game could be timeless like Hollow knight or Ori, instead its already dated looking. Just want Nintendo to notice and care more.
I think the game looks good, yuo mad???

Astral Dog

Im a weird one, 'pre ordered' Metroid Dread from the Eshop since day one but cancelled yesterday because i wasn't feeling good with that, i guess i always got Metroid on box and disc/cartridge since always and thats why, but it annoyed me for 3 days lol.

Its curious because i have a growing digital library as well, but getting that cool Metroid box on my shelf is important 😁 tradition, some games just looker on physical

Last edited:

Astral Dog

Japanese people always had better cover arts, especially back then when they mattered a whole lot more.

56917-super-metroid-snes-front-cover.jpg

this is probably the best non-Japanese cover of the whole series. others look like this:

69860-metroid-ii-return-of-samus-game-boy-front-cover.jpg

th

th

and compared to those Dread's cover is absolutely on the same level. It's a nitpicky point. If Dread's cover is generic, so is Fusion's, Prime's, Metroid II's, etc.
I think it looks very cool, better than MP1 and 3 at least. all the EMMIS behind Samus and creepy red backdrop give a menacing look
oYmZozR.jpg

JimboJones

Pretty excited for this, I liked Samus Returns but the 30fps was a bit of a bummer would have bought a remake of that all honesty but this is even better!

JTCx

Wasnt exactly sold on this considering I was hoping for a bigger budget Metroid game. Samus Returns was ok and Mercurystream in general is a hit or miss. However the more I watch the more I'm warming up to it. Metroid is probably my favorite Nintendo franchise, its good to know its not entirely forgotten.

Her new suit looks fire. :lollipop_anxious_sweat:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don’t get how the collector’s edition is sold out everywhere and all you get is a small artbook and some cards. I want the game too. I would buy the CE. I just don’t get why they can’t make a million more of these. It’s not like they’re some super rare figurine or some pin. We are talking about mini art books and essentially post cards.

Astral Dog

yep this place has become a little toxic, and im not talking about Nintendo only but recently i only seen complaining, mocking,crying some concern trollling and then more complaining,specially when discussing visuals (and sometimes price)of games,its getting tiring

what is consoling is that its just a small noisy negative bubble there is a lot of positivity overall

Last edited:
Top Bottom