• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 15 years ago, pretty impressive still for how old it is

The Dude

https://youtu.be/fx0gqCllnl0

I miss Metroid being in the limelight. Back then it felt like Metroid was larger than most other Nintendo franchises, to think they kicked out 3 Prime games fairly quick was great gaming.

The original and Super Metroid will always be my favorites as I played them as they released, but I totally would take a new Prime game.

What sucks is Other M I didn't feel was THAT terrible to basically kill the series, was it as good as Super? No, was it as good as Prime games? No, but it had its moments and at least felt somewhat closer to old school Metroid in a few ways.

I think the series needs to either go back to Prime games or give us a great looking 2D Metroid game and just get the series back on track.

That video is awesome tho, the sounds, the feel, the world, all nostalgic. I think the game looked ahead of its time to be honest for 2002, pretty remarkable to see 15 years later and it not look terrible.

entremet

Metroid Prime being 15 makes me feel so old. I still remember my first foray into Phendara Drifts.

Such a magical game. I was not a huge Gamecube fan, but that game is definitely my favorite of that generation hands down.

Also, it's 60FPS in 2001, right? Pretty amazing.

I'm waiting on DF Retro episode on that. I know John from DF Retro also loves the game.

Linkark07

Banned
Yep, played recently the first Metroid Prime and it felt as great as when it was released in 2001. Graphics have aged well, gameplay is still superb and tight, and it is quite entertaining. Still one of my favourite games ever.

I really wish Nintendo is planning a new Metroid for the Switch.

I think it was around the Prime era that the GBA had some very nice 2D Metroids with Zero Mission and Fusion.

It's probably a lost cause, but I'd like to see a 2.5D Metroid on Switch, maybe loan the franchise to Wayforward after the wonderful work they did with Half Genie Hero (Which would be a great Switch port).

Flintty

I still need to play these on my U (I got the digital pack).

It would be nice if they could carry across to the Switch!

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I think it was around the Prime era that the GBA had some very nice 2D Metroids with Zero Mission and Fusion.

It's probably a lost cause, but I'd like to see a 2.5D Metroid on Switch, maybe loan the franchise to Wayforward after the wonderful work they did with Half Genie Hero (Which would be a great Switch port).

Metroid Fusion on AGB was amazing.

AniHawk

it really does a good job of creating atmosphere. i can understand the comparisons to ocarina of time. the music and art design really works well together. that's something that doesn't quite gel so well in subsequent games in the franchise.

Yep, played recently the first Metroid Prime and it felt as great as when it was released in 2001. Graphics have aged well, gameplay is still superb and tight, and it is quite entertaining. Still one of my favourite games ever.

2002 but yeah. to think, there are only 4 years between Ocarina of time being so simple in comparision, and at only 20FPS (or worse, 17 in Europe) and what Metroid prime accomplished. We'll never have anything near those jumps again, and it's almost a shame.

nkarafo

And since we are talking about Metroid Prime, i would like to leave this here:

image376.jpg

You can see how Samus moves her fingers inside the arm canon to change weapons, by using the x-ray visor.

Still the most insane case of "most people won't see it but fuck it, lets code it in anyway because it looks cool" i have seen in a game so far.

-shadow-

Amazing game and graphically still looking absolutely amazing! I'd kill for a HD remaster with the second and third game included. Absolutely mind blowing and that 60fps!

wait, what?

A couple of graphical effects are missing, if they were removed or just missed isn't 100% certain. But it's nothing you'll notice when playing.

The Dude

Amazing game and graphically still looking absolutely amazing! I'd kill for a HD remaster with the second and third game included. Absolutely mind blowing and that 60fps!

A couple of graphical effects were missing, if they were removed or just missed isn't 100% certain. But it's nothing you'll notice when playing.

Can 4k it on Pc with dolphin, I'm actually planning to do that today or tomorrow. It is incredible what dolphin can do for these older games

brainpann

Funny you started this thread. Just played through it again.....in VR!!!!

It really is an amazing game and after playing through it in VR, Ive come to realize its also one of the best VR games Ive ever played. Even the lock on system, which by today's standards are a little outdated, work really well. Some of the details Retro put in it are just nuts. For instance, when you are exploring the wrecked ship under water, there is a spot inside before a door where you can see air that got caught inside. A nice detail for sure, but it is absolutely something I would never have noticed without the ability to free look as easily as you can in VR. Dont even get me started on the music.

It's not perfect by any stretch but I highly recommend playing in in VR if you can. It's like playing it the first time.

Vov

My memories of the prime series are not too different from the souls games. Tight controls. Big bosses. Doesn't hold your hand. And if it's too hard just level up your health.

NYR94

I haven't played it in a long, long time, but it's an incredible game. One of the few games that approaches perfect for me. It's just so consistent in quality in terms of graphics, gameplay, music, controls. Nintendo has to bring this series back ASAP.

Ganondorfo

Its rarely to see these days games getting the same love Metroid Prime is getting anytime someone on Neogaf is making a thread about it. Only Bloodborne and Witcher 3 this generation get the same love that Metroid Prime did in the Ps2 generation.

it really does a good job of creating atmosphere. i can understand the comparisons to ocarina of time. the music and art design really works well together. that's something that doesn't quite gel so well in subsequent games in the franchise.
*Reads post*
*Looks at username*
*Checks that thread is about Metroid Prime*
*Reads post again*
*Reads tag*
*Scratches head*

🤔

13ruce

Banned
Hmmm i wanna replay the trilogy now thanks OP, well i have to do something while waiting for Breath of the Wild anyway:p

xealo

Such a magical experience Metroid Prime was.

God dammit Nintendo, why wont you give us another 3d Metroid by Retro Studios :(

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
metroid prime 1 on gamecube was a great game. Kinda thought they lost the plot with 2 and 3

And since we are talking about Metroid Prime, i would like to leave this here:

You can see how Samus moves her fingers inside the arm canon to change weapons, by using the x-ray visor.

Still the most insane case of "most people won't see it but fuck it, lets code it in anyway because it looks cool" i have seen in a game so far.

And if people didn't notice. The weapon icons are also the hand layout for the weapon

And if people didn't notice. The weapon icons are also the hand layout for the weapon
I did notice that back in the day! I thought it was amazingly cool!

Also the first time I saw Samus' reflection on the visor I jumped out of my seat! I thought it was an enemy face or something but no. It was my reflection!

Metroid Prime 1 was indeed years ahead of its time. I'll never forget EGM's review of it where they state that. How Retro must've opened a wormhole through time and brought us a game form 5 years into the future. What a fucking masterpiece. I need an HD Remaster of this with dual analog option for controls now.

Kthulhu

Metroid games released in the 2000s:

Metroid Fusion (2002, GBA)
Metroid Prime (2002, GCN)
Metroid Zero Mission (2004, GBA)
Metroid Prime 2 Echoes (2004, GCN)
Metroid Prime Pinball (2005, DS)
Metroid Prime Hunters (2006, DS)
Metroid Prime 3 Corruption (2007, Wii)
Metroid Prime Trilogy (2009, Wii)

Metroid games released in the 2010s:

Metroid Other M (2010, Wii)
Metroid Prime Federation Force (2016, 3DS)

Someone wanna explain to me why this has to happen?

AniHawk

*Reads post*
*Looks at username*
*Checks that thread is about Metroid Prime*
*Reads post again*
*Reads tag*
*Scratches head*

��

i've come around on parts of it. i replayed it 7 years ago after red scarlet showed me some of the speedrunning ropes that improves the pacing quite a bit. after the replay, i appreciated the craftsmanship of the overall product, and better understood the design philosophies. i was expecting a more actiony game like super metroid and metroid fusion and instead it was first-person action-adventure game like ocarina of time. i still think it's pretty slow and almost always boring, but i can appreciate parts of it now.

Codiox

Actually I'm playing this right now through dolphin and it's fucking amazing. It runs in 1080p / 60fps and even full 16:9 support. Also got the HD Textures and man, this game could even be released today. One of the best games ever!

The one issue I have with MPT's control scheme is how rather cumbersome it is to switch beam types. In the GCN version, all you have to due is flick the C-stick, but on the Wii you have to bring out another menu and then drag the cursor onto what beam you want to use. It wore me out by the end of my first MP1 playthrough, which is why I had more fun playing it again on Dolphin with a GameCube controller that time around.

The controls regarding the aiming and all that were slick, however.

nubbe

Other M was basically character assassination
the GBA games started it, sadly, but they are still great

The Prime games still look great on a CRT or Scanline filter

Top Bottom