• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime 2 Scans From GI (Plus Others)

"Oh god. Just take a look at all those Halo 2 thread and shut up."

Ah I see with the board change, some of the assholes still use the same names to post.

GigaDrive

Banned
OMFG, Metroid Prime 2 looks completely outstanding. now I'm hyped for the game, finally.

I cannot imagine what Retro will be able to acomplish on Revolution.

CrimsonSkies said:
"Oh god. Just take a look at all those Halo 2 thread and shut up."

Ah I see with the board change, some of the assholes still use the same names to post.

Yeah, but you didn't answer my point. Why did you insult me anyway? Halo 2 isn't your baby you know.

It's not fair to compare MP2 to Halo 2 since they really are entirely different. MP2 relies on strategy and puzzle solving. Halo 2 is all about mindless shooting. Both are going to be a blast to play.

LuckyBrand said:
hahaha, you ask me if I played it, yet you dont ask anyone else because they are all glowing praise..

me saying the single player looked good, but the multiplayer looked bad, hurts your feelings or something?

i am talking about what i have seen from the videos/pictures, just like most everyone in this thread, except for the few that have actually played it. and the single player looks to be good just like the first game.. the multiplayer looks like a tacky add on, and not something i am intersted in.. i dont plan to have people over to play split screen multiplayer metroid prime 2, anyways.. i play my multiplayer on xbox live as none of myfriends really play videogames.

i was just asking if you have played it, since the so glowing praise is from pple who actually played it at E3, perhaps you should read the posts then...........

Wyzdom: I'm not trying to change your opinion, I'm trying to make a case of my own. And it's directed less at you personally and more towards everybody who's reading this thread. I think that should be obvious, given the medium.

That said: although I agree that there are good reasons to keep the list of 'genres' simple, the fact is that terms like FPS and RPG are loaded down with more meaning than you are giving them. The terms are inextricably connected not just to styles of gameplay but to graphics, music, themes, art style, and everything in between.

It doesn't matter what the actual derivation of the word is if it has excessive baggage attached to it. (Consider the sentence "That man looks very gay.")

Anyway, you don't want people getting the wrong idea about your game, and one way they might do that is to lump it into a genre category that doesn't suit it entirely, or in the case of Metroid or Zelda, eliminates the very aspects that define those games. Calling Zelda an "RPG", especially in 1987 Japan, wouldn't merely ignore the primary features of those games (fast action and item-based puzzles) but would indeed eliminate them.

Bishman

MP2 wasn't up on my wishlist with RE4, GTA: SA, and MGS3: SE, but after reading that amazing article, I'm buying this game for sure now.

Firest0rm

WOW, The graphics REALLY improved! These pics are much better than IGN pics for some reason. I mean they show the improvement in Samus' model! She looks alot better! But in the end, GOTY will go to RE4 for me (if it still comes out this year, otherwise MP2 takes it! :D)

Metroid Prime 2 multiplayer is surprisingly fun. I played several matches at E3, and even with the lock-on feature the multiplayer was really fun. It wasnt in the same vein as Timesplitters or Halo multiplayer, mostly because of the morphball. It was a lot more hit-and-run tactics that worked out pretty well in the end. I hope the final multi has more variety (I am sure it will), to make it a captivating experience months after the release of the game.

And LAN/Online play would have been nice too. Also bots.

fuck. I wasn't expecting much when I clicked on that link but damn, MP2 looks totally freaking awesome and that article is outstanding! Thanks for the link. If MP1 is anything to go by.. this game in motion will be outstanding. Bumpmapping and shininess aside. MP2 looks better Halo2 IMO.

GOTY!

Alucard said:
Looks like the Stargate found its way into the Metroid universe! Pretty cool looking though...same with Tales of Symphonia.

I'm not sure if linking to another site with scans is keeping with the TOS though.

It's not a stargate, It's a FARGATE. We'll put a mohawk and wheel chair if that will hep you.

The ToS review was a bit surprising at first and brought up some concerns for me on the character front (I care about that more than actual "story" sometimes)... but the second opinion really clarified that and brought it more in line with what I've heard elsewhere.

I have really limited gaming funds... I put off getting Four Swords in favor of buying ToS. I'm glad that all signs point to it being 100% worth it.

Redbeard said:
What excites people so much about Prime 2?

Did you read the article, read the E3 impressions and subsequent previews, watch any of the videos, read any of the interviews, read any of the posts here or in any other thread on the subject?

The answer to this has been said in many different forms a billion times over.

He won't be happy until somebody responds to that question with something like "OMG BECUZ ITS ON THE GC AND IM TEH NIN FANBOY AND XBOX SUCKSSS!!!!!1"

Redbeard

Banned
I didn't ask "What's in the article?", "What do the impressions and previews say?", "What do the videos look like?", "What do the interviews say?", or "What do people here think of it?".

AniHawk

I really found MP boring, and stayed away from it at E3 as much as I could. However, on the second day, too many people were playing Donkey Konga, and the MP2E multiplayer booth was open (really, NO ONE was there). So I grabbed a controller, and flagged down a few people and we started playing.

Hooooooly shit, I had so much fun! You can get upgrades like super missiles, power bombs, light beams, invisibility, invincibility, and more. You could go into morph ball, and you could use the grappling hook at certain parts in the level. Definitely something I will bring out at parties, because it's damn near worth the price of admission alone.

Redbeard said:
I didn't ask "What's in the article?", "What do the impressions and previews say?", "What do the videos look like?", "What do the interviews say?", or "What do people here think of it?".

I simply don't get how any of those things do not provide your answer. Wouldn't "what do people here think about it?" answer "What excites people so much about the game?"

I mean, come on. What kind of specific response do you expect here?

Redbeard

Banned
Q: "What does everyone think of it?"
A: "Can't wait!" "Looks awesome!" "GOTY!"

Q: "Why can't you wait?"
A: "..."

I'm asking what it is about this game that is appealing. I'm asking what it is that people can't wait to do, exactly. To look for items? Solve "puzzles"? Deathmatch? etc...

Lots of people liked Metroid Prime.

The news of a sequel to a game lots of people liked is bound to be anticipated.

Its not rocket science.

AniHawk

Redbeard said:
Q: "What does everyone think of it?"
A: "Can't wait!" "Looks awesome!" "GOTY!"

Q: "Why can't you wait?"
A: "..."

I'm asking what it is about this game that is appealing. I'm asking what it is that people can't wait to do, exactly. To look for items? Solve "puzzles"? Deathmatch? etc...

Deathmatch. Deathmatch. Deathmatch. Deathmatch.

It also should be on LAN, so I can go OL and kick everyone's asses.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
First they went with third person for ball mode. Now, they're going third-person to incorporate screw-attack. When are these chuckleheads going to take their own hint?

Edit: I prefer it in first person, myself.

Well, I kind of read Redbeard's post in a way differently than he meant... so I apologize for that. Words written on a site only say so much I guess heh. Came off more like "Why in the world would anyone be exited about this game?" than "What are you interested in most?" basically. Sorry.

What am I looking forward to... It's a hard thing to answer specifically. I mean, it's Metroid. In my opinion, the best franchise Nintendo has probably ever been resposible for. It's yet to let me down and I loved MP. That alone builds up a lot of interest.

I liked how the original was set up and more of that, further improved, is just plenty to get me interested. The light and dark sides, while not completely original, add a really big element to this series that hasn't been available in the past. While I think the idea of that can be simply explained, the more I read about what they are actually doing with it, the more interested I get.

More morphball is a good thing too. I love just coasting around in that in the original just because it has a feel unlike any other game I've yet to play (even including Monkey Ball, strangely). I'm looking forward to "going into the screen", as this article puts it, in some of these areas.

The first game was great looking, but had its own issues. The fact that this looks even better than is still locked at 60 FPS is great news. I'm really happy that the game has realistic shadows compared to the "blob" shadows in the orginal. Plus, the presentation just seems even more polished (the scan visor is a good example of that). And how can I not be interested in more Metroid-esque music?

Deathmatch sounds pretty kick ass as well. I'm all for new experiences in that sort of mode. A new twist on a standard gameplay element is always good.

In the end, it's the sequel to one of my favorite games this generation. I can't not be interested heh.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
>>>I prefer it in first person, myself.<<<

1) So you think that Metroid Prime is the best Metroid game from a control/camera perspective?
2) You think that making the morph ball third-person was a mistake?

So maybe you should explain what they are hinting to themselves before jumping on him?

Anyways, I can't wait to play the sequel to Metroid Prime too.

TAJ

>>>So maybe you should explain what they are hinting to themselves before jumping on him?<<<

Metroid Prime should have been all third-person. On some level, even at the time, the developers knew that. They're closer to admitting it now. That's all I was saying.

TAJ said:
>>>So maybe you should explain what they are hinting to themselves before jumping on him?<<<

Metroid Prime should have been all third-person. On some level, even at the time, the developers knew that. They're closer to admitting it now. That's all I was saying.

I don't recall saying either of those things. I just said that I prefer it in first person, referring to the idea of Metroid Prime. Sure, I love the original 2D/3rd person Metroid games... but I really don't feel that a fully 3D, 3rd person Metroid game could properly be pulled off well considering comparative games. Plus, this first person aspect has been done so well that I'm quite happy with it, regardless of putting things in 3rd sometimes. I mean, honestly, how could a morph ball or screw attack work in first person anyway? Regardless of the rest of the game's design?

I think that's just a conscious playability decision. Not really a vague admittance to the idea that they should have made it in third person to begin with. That's just my opinion on it. It's not really in comparison to how previous games have worked, but in comparison to other similiar fully 3D, third person titles.

Oh, okay. Your second question just seemed wierd.

For what it's worth, I think that having Samus occupy any significant portion of the screen would seriously hinder the atmosphere and immersion of the game. And since that's what I found most enjoyable about Metroid Prime...

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
TAJ said:

No, no it should not have been. The game would have been seriously damaged by making it solely 3rd person. Prime is better than EVERY 2D Metroid game yet released...so their change of the formula is entirely GOOD.

Ranger X

Since there's talk about that, i have to say that Metroid Prime is an excellent game indeed but could have been the first videogame to deserve the adjective "perfect" if it was third person view.

TAJ

>>>I don't recall saying either of those things. I just said that I prefer it in first person, referring to the idea of Metroid Prime. Sure, I love the original 2D/3rd person Metroid games... but I really don't feel that a fully 3D, 3rd person Metroid game could properly be pulled off well considering comparative games.<<<

Retro said the same thing, so, I laughed my ass off when after saying that they went first-person because they didn't think they could make a third-person camera work well in Metroid's cramped tunnels, they went with a third-person view in the MOST-CRAMPED PARTS OF THE GAME.
About the only advantage of first-person is better 3D manual aiming, so why did they go first-person if they weren't going to take advantage of its strengths? (though I think that first-person Metroid with movement/aiming control would be almost as un-Metroid-like as what shipped)
The visor effects work well in third-person. Splinter Cell showed that before Metroid Prime came out.

>>>Plus, this first person aspect has been done so well that I'm quite happy with it, regardless of putting things in 3rd sometimes. I mean, honestly, how could a morph ball or screw attack work in first person anyway?<<<

They wouldn't...hint, hint. Retro's first concern should have been how they could make all of the gameplay elements of previous Metroids work in 3D. Metroid games have always been platform-heavy for starters. Platforming in first-person is awkward at best.

TAJ

On a related note, I'll bet you guys would think that a DS platformer that required you to draw a shoe every time you wanted to jump was a work of genius.

Actually I think going first-person was a Nintendo decision in that a first-person game is easier to bug-test and polish than a third-person 3D game is. I think I heard that from Miyamoto.

Kon Tiki

Banned
TAJ said:
On a related note, I'll bet you guys would think that a DS platformer that required you to draw a shoe every time you wanted to jump was a work of genius.

?

Why can you not jump without shoes? I can.

Top Bottom