• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime: Federation Force |OT| Four Mech Adventures

goldenpp72

Will this run as well on a normal 3ds as a New 3ds? I bought a circle pad pro XL just to give this game more playable controls (and to collect it :p) so I figured it would be nice to know. Just trying to get an optimal experience.

Toxi

Banned
Buying this tomorrow depending on reviews. Most of the first impressions seem positive if not glowing.

BooJoh

The very first thing I'm going to do is see if the Amiibo content is extensive or limited. I'm so hoping for the former so I can go online and parade about in my swanky King Dedede themed mech. Or run a medic set up and go with the Dr Mario mech.

From what I tried in the demo, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser unlock unique skins (don't have either Samus but I know those do have unique skins,) everything else I tried just gave the generic skull skin. That included Toad, Wario, Toon Link, Kirby, Yoshi, Mii, and Pikachu. I didn't bother checking anything else since not even secondary Mario characters or Zelda characters worked.

Buying this tomorrow depending on reviews. Most of the first impressions seem positive if not glowing.

I thought most of the first impressions were like "Oh...", then got better when they got to decent mission variety and higher difficulty.

Mediking

Anybody else remember the casual shipping of Little Mac X Samus because of Little Mac's intro to Smash? Hahahah that just hit me.

fhqwhgads

Sucks about the Amiibo stuff, the Dr Mario amiibo will probably just act like a Mario one at the least I'm hoping since it does in some other games. Eh what can you do.

From what I tried in the demo, Mario, Luigi, Peach, and Bowser unlock unique skins (don't have either Samus but I know those do have unique skins,) everything else I tried just gave the generic skull skin. That included Toad, Wario, Toon Link, Kirby, Yoshi, Mii, and Pikachu. I didn't bother checking anything else since not even secondary Mario characters or Zelda characters worked.

Seems you're right, going off this gamexplain video where they tested over 50 of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRCQTDEjn48

Vena

I wonder if Mother Brain is in this one. Pirates can't function without her

?

Space pirates are a group/race independent of Mother Brain. They latch onto anything that can control them like a hive and a queen but they're not intrinsically linked. Prime pirates were corrupted by Phaze but had existed without it before the seed crashed on their planet or Mother Brain was ever made.

Mother Brain isn't much older than Samus given that she was made around when Samus was adopted, IIRC. She just doesn't go crazy until later when she's passed up for Samus inheriting the Chozo Legacy.

Just played the third mission solo and it was totally manageable. The worst thing about the game is that it's on the 3DS. On a console it would be more comfortable to play and better looking.

Each level feels like a bite sized action segment from Prime, basically if Prime were made into a four player arcade game.

I was down on the idea of the controls up until I listened to the GameXplain QA and decided to mess about with em in the Blast ball demo. Seems better than I hoped.

Debating on when I'll consider getting this. Budgets and time and all that (and Monster Hunter)

Parakeetman

No one wants a throne you've been sitting on!
I still cant get over how the characters look like Grunts from Halo, cept they went and jacked the MC for his armor lol

Will be watching the thread to see impressions from folks. Had totally forgotten about this coming out, though did see that easter egg vid of Samus showing up that someone made a thread out of recently.

TheMoon

To be clear, do we know if the entire campaign can be played solo? I'm not interested in playing online really, but the demo was decent and I love the presentation with the chibi marines and their mechs. The cutscene where you jump into your mech and initialize the systems was particularly slick IMO.

Yes it is, I know a reviewer from a smaller site who has completed it on his own.

So I decided to watch GameXplain's vid about the final boss. Won't lie, that was quite something.

You fight a mind-controlled Samus as a giant morph ball. Quite frankly, if she was fighting properly, the boss fight would be impossible. Once she's back to normal, she ends up under a pile of rubble but saves your ass twice during the final sequence, before messaging you with a "nice working with you guys, seeya". Well, at least it's more than just the one cameo...

VandalD

Played through the first 9 missions solo so far and am enjoying it using the Lone Wolf mod. So far at least, it feels like there's not much reason to group up online, especially when other players can get in the way, take powerups you want to use or know when to use, you don't get all the mods on beating the mission, and the secondary objective might be ignored or just harder to accomplish. Still early though. Plenty of room for the game to go stupid hard. For the little bit of online I did, the in-game chat also felt insufficient.

Z3M0G

Watching the GameXplain review, the gameplay and online structure sound pretty great. Overall it looks like a very solid Co-op game.

IGN's only major complaint was the boring main weapon... and they held that against it so much it had a pretty low score. But if that's their only complaint, and nobody else seems to focus on that, I would say that may not bother everyone.

It's also a very good looking game, visually... but I'm worried I'm looking at N3DS footage.

Any major difference between N3DS and 3DS?

How's this looking content wise? Thought this was a budget title, but it's full retail.

It seems alright, 10-15 hours main campaign, you can replay missions for the medals to unlock skins and mod slots and you unlock hard mode versions of the missions after beating the game once.

Ohnonono

I picked this up. At best its a fun DS shooter (something it does not have many of!,) at worst it is trade in fodder for SMT and DQ7.

NOLA_Gaffer

Banned
14080045_10154524391951812_451436960837136740_n.jpg

?

Space pirates are a group/race independent of Mother Brain. They latch onto anything that can control them like a hive and a queen but they're not intrinsically linked. Prime pirates were corrupted by Phaze but had existed without it before the seed crashed on their planet or Mother Brain was ever made.

Mother Brain isn't much older than Samus given that she was made around when Samus was adopted, IIRC. She just doesn't go crazy until later when she's passed up for Samus inheriting the Chozo Legacy.

Interesting. Does this lore come from the comic? I'm getting back into the series now by playing Metroid II on 3DS VC, but I would like to pick this up in the next couple of weeks. If anyone else needs some teammates around that time, hit me with a PM!

TheGrue

Played the first couple of missions in online co-op and really enjoyed it. I won't bother playing it solo, like I didn't bother playing TriForce Heroes solo. I will say that the online so far has been super smooth, which I couldn't say for TriForce.

Kinsei

Banned
I played the first 3 missions (online with 3 randos) and it's decent. So long as the game doesn;t walk off a cliff quality wise then I'd say the game is around the 6-7 range. It's certainly better than Other M.

I got really lucky and ended up with teammates that knew what they were doing. When I signaled for someone to help the guy with the ice immediately clued in that there must have been a secret that we needed to freeze lava to get to and followed me right away. I hope I keep getting that lucky with future teams.

Z3M0G

Yah I'm totally buying this... I always found it looked fun as a co-op game on 3DS... the classic GC Prime control scheme is just a bonus. I can't wait to try gyro aiming during lock-on! I love gyro aiming!!

Sucks that it is $50cdn... but this sounds like a full length AAA quality campaign with lots of replay value to boot! I love that you can unlock skins.

Kinsei

Banned
Yah I'm totally buying this... I always found it looked fun as a co-op game on 3DS... the classic GC Prime control scheme is just a bonus. I can't wait to try gyro aiming during lock-on! I love gyro aiming!!

Sucks that it is $50cdn... but this sounds like a full length AAA quality campaign with lots of replay value to boot! I love that you can unlock skins.

The gyro aiming works well. So long as I'm not side hopping I find it pretty easy to hit weakpoints like the heads on pirate troopers.

Z3M0G

Any complaints about how it runs on original 3DS? I need to look up a comparison...

Edit: Nobody seems to have done a 3DS / N3DS comparison at all... so I hope that is a good thing.

So its basically a puzzle adventure like zelda but with stages rather than an open woröd (much like prime 3 but more segmented?)

I think I can live with that. Ill give it a shot

Regiruler

Played through 4 levels online. We started off with 4 people with the 1st mission and gradually lost them.Enjoying it a lot so far.

I've started a solo session, and I think I solved the mystery: drones can be destroyed and it's really hard to notice. All the complaints about the drones not doing anything are because their drones were destroyed without them knowing.

Kinsei

Banned
I just beat the first major boss and it was pretty fun, although the boss barely attacked at all and mostly just swam around. Being on a small platform in the middle of a lake kinda reminded me of the Chykka fight (although not nearly as good. Chykka is one of my favorite Metroid bosses).

Top Bottom