• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid Prime Hunters (DS) Multiplayermodes & stuff

Hope this is new; from
Gaming-Universe.de

Quick Translation:
Maximum number of players online and offline: 4.
Offline, the free slots can be associated to bots.
Singlecard multiplayer, but the only selectable character here is Samus for everyone.

Multiplayermodes:

Battle: Select Time- or Deathlimit. Classic Deathmatch-Mode.

Survival: Like Battle but with limited lives.

Bounty: Find the Octolith (important Item) and bring it to your base to get points

Defender: Defend a marked spot on the map. Like King of the Hill.

Prime Hunter: One player is the Prime Hunter - if someone kills him, he becomes the Prime Hunter. The one who was PH for the longest time wins.

Capture: Players team up to steal the enemy's Octolith and bring it to their base. = Capture the Flag-Mode.

Nodes: Take control over several Lights. The player with the most nodes wins.

In addition, you can adjust things like weapon choice, friendly fire or radar settings.

Every player starts with the same standard weapon and missiles. Only with certain pickups, you can use the character's special abilities.

«þ»

:Motorbass said:

4 players offline as well? Boo.

Will all the modes be available online? Or will Nintendo take the cheap-ass way like Mario Kart and only include Deathmatch or something.

olimario said:
If online is deathmatch only with set settings and only 15 of the 25 maps playable, I won't buy Hunters.
I don't think so.

But I hope there are some small maps too. And the choice to select opponents and to vote settings/maps and nicely balanced. Maybe communication. Then it's all fine.

It sounds good so far. I also wouldn't mind having 8 players at least offline. But I am sure the maps are probably designed well for 4 players so it should still be fun.

Even if the multiplayer isn't the greatest, I'm really looking forward to Single player and it's enough to buy it just for that.

MaddenNFL64

I've enjoyed the demo, and still play the training mission once in a while. I'm always trying to circle strafe the mochtroids(sp?), so I can do it without any problems in the real game.

elostyle

Never forget! I'm Dumb!
The only non PC fps that I'm really looking forward to, I love how the demo already controlled. I'll love me some deathmatch on the go.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually quite hopeful for this, if it's been built around 4 players on and off line then hopefully the maps are the right size for such a thing. I don't have anything close to 7 other friends with a DS anyway...

Some things I didn't like about the demo, it was hard to jump very well and I had to look at the touch screen to change weapons and go into a ball etc. Wonder if that will be fixed. I'll still buy it with those flaws though.

MaddenNFL64

You have to look, but it becomes a 'quick glance & tap' when you get into a groove.

Still, it's time your enemy could use against you. Maybe they could add voice commands, or link them to either the d-pad, or the face buttons (depending if you are right, or left handed).

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
I don't think so.

But I hope there are some small maps too. And the choice to select opponents and to vote settings/maps and nicely balanced. Maybe communication. Then it's all fine.

Well its obviously not just deathmatch ie: CTF, Nodes, KOTH (calling any of those deathmatch would be incorrect)

However, it would be nice to see some coop missions but I doubt it. Don't kid your ass tho, this will be the #1 game on the DS this year. (NSMB #2)

biggreenmachine said:
Well its obviously not just deathmatch ie: CTF, Nodes, KOTH (calling any of those deathmatch would be incorrect)
He was referring to Mario Kart where you can't play battle online and not all tracks.
But I don't think that will happen with Metroid.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
I contend that this game will be #2! NSMB will be number one with it's online co-op that I am currently wishing for.

biggreenmachine

The bleeding edge of news reporting...
He was referring to Mario Kart where you can't play battle online and not all tracks.
But I don't think that will happen with Metroid.

Well, I'll eat my Metroid prime FH demo card if they eliminate all of the multiplayer modes except deathmatch out of the wifi component and just leave them in for local multi. :D

NME

That's underwhelming. Of course I didn't particularly like the demo, so it's not as if I was clamoring for this game, anyhow.

olimario

Banned
No... I won't.
It's beyond ridiculous to limit features to DS->DS connection games. How often do you see the features in live games limited to system link?

SantaC

olimario said:
If online is deathmatch only with set settings and only 15 of the 25 maps playable, I won't buy Hunters.

there are console/PC games that don't even have 15 multiplayer maps from the start. 15 wouldn't be a bad number.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm starting to think NWFC is simply not capable of supporting more than 4 characters. 2 in the case of Tony Hawk.

Can it simply not transfer that much data?
I have no idea how these things work.

None of these games have chatrooms/lobbys, or anything, and never seem to support many connections.

Can someone tech-wise explain to me if this is becasue of the service, or just the way the games are designed? Could it have anything to do with NWFC infrastructure or Nintendo's servers?

SantaC

John Harker said:
I'm starting to think NWFC is simply not capable of supporting more than 4 characters. 2 in the case of Tony Hawk.

None of these games have chatrooms/lobbys, or anything, and never seem to support many connections.

Can someone tech-wise explain to me if this is becasue of the service, or just the way the games are designed? Could it have anything to do with NWFC infrastructure or Nintendo's servers?

I think it have to do with not enough memory bandwidth.

btrboyev

I think its just the DS isn't capable of running that many players..chat and lobbies aren't there for "nintendo" reasons

John Harker

btrboyev said:
I think its just the DS isn't capable of running that many players..chat and lobbies aren't there for "nintendo" reasons

Does the same apply to 3rd party games?

Mrbob

John Harker said:

It is not the wifi connection. It is the DS.

Revolution online games will have support for more people. At least it should.

Mashing

Indeed.. it just doesn't have the horsepower for more characters on screen (it would bog down the framerate). Doesn't Socom on PSP support like 16 at once? Or did I just pull that number out of my ass, I really dont' know for sure. It's gotta be more than 4 though.

Mrbob

Mashing said:
Indeed.. it just doesn't have the horsepower for more characters on screen (it would bog down the framerate). Doesn't Socom on PSP support like 16 at once? Or did I just pull that number out of my ass, I really dont' know for sure. It's gotta be more than 4 though.

Yeah, it is 16. But PSP has faster everything when compared to the ds. Faster CPU, more ram, etc. etc., so it can handle maps with more characters.

Shaheed79

dabbled in the jelly
Those are some generic ass gameplay modes. Prime Hunter? I hope in the bounty mode the octork or whatever the devil it is actually tries to defend itself instead of being just another version of CTF. Color me unimpressed.

John Harker

Mashing said:

I am amazed at myself that I didn't already know the answer to that.

Well then, Mario Kart having 8 players in single player but only 4 online, is that horsepower or laziness?

I'd imagine it would be hard to sync that many players though, consider the splotchiness of just power sliding with 1 character.

Do you play on servers with Socom PSP?
Because all DS WiFi games up to now don't use servers; just for the matchup. They communicate with each other directly while playing. And I could imagine that it would be hard with so many players. But maybe I'm talking BS.

Mook1e

Do you play on servers with Socom PSP?
Because all DS WiFi games up to now don't use servers; just for the matchup. They communicate with each other directly while playing. And I could imagine that it would be hard with so many players. But maybe I'm talking BS.
Yes, SOCOM PSP uses servers.
It does, I believe, still support 16 players ad-hoc.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
biggreenmachine said:

However, it would be nice to see some coop missions but I doubt it. Don't kid your ass tho, this will be the #1 game on the DS this year. (NSMB #2)

catfish said:
I contend that this game will be #2! NSMB will be number one with it's online co-op that I am currently wishing for.

They'll be numbers two and three this year.

Pokémon

Top Bottom