• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns (Mercury Steam, Metroid 2 reimagining, 9/15) announced for 3DS

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Ok the steelbook looks a bit crappy, but the rest are cool extras. I want that morphball keychain

Is it up for preorder anywhere yet?

MoonFrog

Ended up playing Zero Mission too, after Super and Fusion. I really like the first part of Zero Mission, but I wish the game had just ended there. The Zero Suit section is pretty obnoxious. On hard, it is a three strike rule and there are some cheap moments and a long time between save rooms, so too much trial and error even if there are some nice "oh I'm being chased!" set-pieces. What annoys me more, tbh, is that the Space Pirates don't drop energy even after you've gotten your suit. You get the hard-charging "oh yeah Samus!" soundtrack and you still have to be overly cautious of the space pirates when you were hoping for the small relief of having them drop even a measly 5 energy :p. The game just doesn't completely reset to armored mode, sort of thwarting the catharsis, for which it is going and that just sort of punctuates the sour note of that entire section of the game.

But yeah, I'd take the main body of Zero mission over Fusion any day, is my general impression. I enjoyed the corridors and platforming more as well as the gameflow.

Which makes me excited for this upcoming remake.

TheMoon

If it's a n3DS enhanced game, and they're only showing off n3DS footage.

Kind of like Hyrule Warriors Legends.

HWL was a Wii U downport and a game that is inherently ill-suited for 3DS due to many many characters on screen.

This is a sidescroller. You can relax. :)

Astral Dog

HWL was a Wii U downport and a game that is inherently ill-suited for 3DS due to many many characters on screen.

This is a sidescroller. You can relax. :)
And a hideous one at that, im not worried about performance just one question 30 or 60 fps? If its the latter i can see a few small blemishes

Opa-Pa

I know it looks ridiculous as hell, but honestly I'm mighty jealous of european fans, I want that steelbook!

Also I'm a bit disappointed that the included music CD is just a compilation album, I was so sure it was the actual soundtrack :( I already own all the Metroid soundtracks I like.

watershed

Banned
Right now I don't love the aesthetic of the game but the animations and movement speed seem fantastic. The detailed, almost gritty look of the enemies and environments look rough in the way so many 3ds games do. But if the game is as fast and fun as it looks, it will be hard for me to not buy it.

Ridley327

Surprised people don't like the steelbook. An amazing nostalgic touch.

It's wildly out of proportion with an actual GB cart, so it looks really awkward. I really liked the suggestion in the dedicated thread for the Euro LE, that the SteelBook should have been a reproduction of the original game box, and inside was a custom plastic case for the game that was 1:1 with the GB cart proportions and had the game inside of it.

MoonFrog

It's wildly out of proportion with an actual GB cart, so it looks really awkward. I really liked the suggestion in the dedicated thread for the Euro LE, that the SteelBook should have been a reproduction of the original game box, and inside was a custom plastic case for the game that was 1:1 with the GB cart proportions and had the game inside of it.
Oh I thought it was for the game only and was that size tbh. I just assumed that. Disappointed to hear otherwise.

Played the original late but still on my old brick of an OG GameBoy, so I'm fond of the Pak.

Also I'm a bit disappointed that the included music CD is just a compilation album, I was so sure it was the actual soundtrack :( I already own all the Metroid soundtracks I like.

That would have been phenomenal, but I hope that they're new versions of the old tracks at least.

At least some (if not most) of the songs in MSR are rearrangements of the iconic Super Metroid themes anyway, for example.

That's right, but I think (don't know if confirmed) that not all of the tracks on this CD are from SR. So I hope that those are newly arranged songs as well.

This thread has make me want to replay both Other M and Mirror of Fate.

Now I have a plan for the weekend!

You on Monday:
iboPdPOcLgfDnx.gif

angelic

Banned
I'll pre order it for the pin and little metroid, but that steelbook is disgusting.

Be more interested if it came with a code for Zero Mission on switch

hatchx

Banned
Right now I don't love the aesthetic of the game but the animations and movement speed seem fantastic. The detailed, almost gritty look of the enemies and environments look rough in the way so many 3ds games do. But if the game is as fast and fun as it looks, it will be hard for me to not buy it.

3DS games always look pretty bad on anything but a 240p 3DS screen.

Those that played Samus Returns said it looked great.

RomeoDog

Banned
I hope they make a bundle in the EU. Have no interest in the switch, will probably only borrow one to play metroid prime 4. These games are worth any price though.

That's MercurySteam's output in a nutshell.

So glad this is looking like an actually enjoyable game.

I resent that.

Their first Lords of Shadow was better than GoW3 as far as I'm concerned. It was also the best 3D Castlevania ever made and also the best selling game in franchise history.

The sequels though? Yeah, those were not as good.

Haven't used my 3DS in yonks, I think Majora's Mask 3D was last time, about 18 months ago, and before that DKCR 3D.

The very original 3DS will play this right? Not one of the billion newer versions needed?

Top Bottom