• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metroid: Samus Returns |OT| What's past is prologue.

Opa-Pa

Really? I felt like it was way too scripted to be considered good, usually Metroid bosses let you brute force them if you can't figure out the "trick" or specific counters, but this one had very rigid phases, which means the player is forced to do exactly the same thing every time.

It's basically Mercury Steam injecting one of the shittier aspects of Mirror of Fate into Metroid and as expected it was spectacle over design.

This is technically true, but personally I thought all phases were so fun and clever that it was a blast nonetheless.

MechaX

was that diggernaut boss a quadraxis inspiration? holy fuck

I just beat Diggernaut and I honestly don't know how to feel about that fight.

On one hand, the boss fight definitely pushed me to the limits and while it's patterns are difficult to grasp at first, they are never truly unfair (although, Phase 3 dragged on and on).

On the other hand, that fucking damage is obscene.

ryushe

On one hand, the boss fight definitely pushed me to the limits and while it's patterns are difficult to grasp at first, they are never truly unfair (although, Phase 3 dragged on and on).

On the other hand, that fucking damage is obscene
This is my issue with the fight. There's like no room for error, which is made all the worst given there's so many damn phases to the fight.

That said, once you get the patterns down and you beat him with no damage taken, it's a euphoric feeling, one I've only gotten from the Souls games.

Diggernaut was definitely the most frustrating boss in the game for me. I did eventually pick up on its patterns but damn did it take long.

I beat the game today. I loved it. After AM2R and this I hope there's a Metroid 2 remake every year moving forward, lol.

So, (post-credit spoiler)
Mercury Stream working on a Fusion remake as we speak?

Mr-Joker

Banned
Yesterday I cleared out Area 7 and my Metroid hunting went like this;

First Omega Metroid, I died once and barely defeated it and ran out of Super Missiles.

Second Omega Metroid, I died once and barely defeated it and ran out Super Missiles.

Third and harder Omega Metroid...went down pretty easy and I had full health and a healthy number of Super Missiles. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I made my way to area 8 had a brief fight with the queen but I died but it was alright as I had to go out.

I will later go back and show the bitch who's boss.

Diggernaut was definitely the most frustrating boss in the game for me. I did eventually pick up on its patterns but damn did it take long.

The first two phase was easy for me but it was the third phase that I struggled on as I couldn't avoid the laser beam without touching it.

That's what I don't like about this game is that enemies hit way too hard and it gets frustrating during boss fight.

Hope not as Super Metroid is next in line for the remake treatment, something that I wanted for a while.

MechaX

This is my issue with the fight. There's like no room for error, which is made all the worst given there's so many damn phases to the fight.

That said, once you get the patterns down and you beat him with no damage taken, it's a euphoric feeling, one I've only gotten from the Souls games.

And funny enough, that described the feeling I got when I beat the remaining bosses of the game so far.

Ridley was shoehorned in as fuck, but to be honest... I can't complain because it was a good fight at the end of the day. Plus, it showed Samus do some new stuff with her suit, like her very liberal use of her rarely seen jetpacks. I 100% bet that the fight was put in as an apology to how lame the Samus/Ridley encounter was in Other M. Plus, it gives a continuity nod to Meta Ridley, so I'll accept it.

In all, it had some very rough edges (bland areas, almost entirely atmospheric music or reusing Norfair or Red Soil), but it was a damn good attempt by Mercury Steam and I wouldn't be opposed to seeing additional 2D Metroids from them (provided they can improve upon SR's weak areas).

I never played AM2R, so I might play that next for the hell of it. But SR was a really good game and despite my frustration at some parts (holy hell that damage on some of these bosses; MercurySteam, your bosses aren't that good for them to be dishing out these kinds of haymakers like it was a Souls or Ninja Gaiden game).

I beat the game today. I loved it. After AM2R and this I hope there's a Metroid 2 remake every year moving forward, lol.

I believe they wanted to make a fusion remake originally, but Nintendo put them on Metroid 2 instead. Would be a cool remake, but I wonder if it would continue to stay on 3ds to reuse assets.

The reward for 100% item completion might be teasing their next potential project.

Fusion mode is nuts with its damage levels. The friggen exploding green bugs deal like four energy tanks worth of damage with the Gravity Suit.

Stopdoor

I kind of like to imagine
the Ridley fight
as a "what if" scenario and not something that definitely happened either way, since it's fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and that helps wave away the tonal changes but appreciate the quality of the fight.

ghibli99

100%'d it late last week... it's a wonderful game in terms of gameplay, traversal, and how smooth all of Samus' actions are. I do agree that it loses something going to 3D (especially since I'm 3 hours into Super Metroid right now), and it's almost impossible to feel lost. So in that sense, it feels more like a game that is going for a more action-focused Metroidvania feel vs. just straight Metroid, and I could see how that would annoy fans. I enjoyed it a lot though. It's not going to be remembered as an all-time classic, but it surely won't be called the worst Metroid entry either. I loved the major boss fights too. Wish the game had more of those and less of the repetitive ones. They felt Souls-like, and I really appreciated their challenge.

TheMoon

I believe they wanted to make a fusion remake originally, but Nintendo put them on Metroid 2 instead. Would be a cool remake, but I wonder if it would continue to stay on 3ds to reuse assets.

they're not gonna start a new 3DS game now they can just use the HD asset they for sure have in the drawer if they want to reuse stuff. we know the engine is scalable already.

Finished it just about an hour ago, 100%.

It was great to play a Metroid game again, and it was a challenging experience at that!

Something I really liked was the focus on the Metroid organisms again, after them being sidelined in most games in the series. Here, their threat is apparent - they can evolve beyond reason, transforming into gargantuan killing machines of offensive potential. The Omega Metroids in particular were monstrous and fearsome.

(The Metroid scholar in me constrasts their evolution to the transformation exhibited in the Metroid Prime organism. While the Metroids of SR388 evolved in bulk and brawn, the lone Metroid in the Chozo crater evolved into intelligent, exotic matter. Despite their differences, both evolutionary paths produced creatures with a tremendous capacity to kill).

What keeps hovering at the forefront of my mind is this: On the Game Boy original, our imagination fills in the gaps between the pixels. In my mind, it was Samus' darkest journey, into the depths where barely any light reached. There was no map, no guidance - just the lone bounty hunter in a maze of indistinct caves and ruins. The deeper she went into that ancient pit of evil, I felt, the less likely she was to ever return. Finally getting to the glass laboratory of the Chozo, suspended above a tremendous chasm, felt like the discovery of a unspoken secret.

Samus Returns loses a lot of that imagined atmosphere for me. It is bright and colourful. It is alive and loud. It has puzzles and structure and light and excitement. And while it has a great many things to be proud of - the oppressive, choking, bewildering, grim and lonely atmosphere I felt while playing the original Game Boy release, is completely absent.

There's a piece of fan-art by Stevietat which is close to my imagined atmosphere of Metroid 2 for the Game Boy. Maybe this will help illustrate how I feel:

MOOYNxh.jpg

which is a bit of a contrast to Nintendo's vision of the remake:

No7YdXc.png

In conclusion, it's a very fun game, and the best official Metroid experience in far too long. But it's not how I will remember the story of Samus exploring SR388. That will always be the original release and the atmosphere I imagined as I played it, the hopeless, tortured journey through the depths of the darkest planet in the universe.

CassSept

Overall, I think it's a really good game. Somewhere around 8-9 out of 10. It's not perfect, it doesn't reinvent the wheel, but it's exactly the game we needed after such a long break from the formula (nearly 14 years since the last sidescroller Metroid game!). I feel about it kinda like I do about Star Wars - Force Awakens retreaded a lot of the same ground as the previous movies, but that's acceptable after the series sunk so low. It would be worse if we've gotten the next 2D Metroid soon and it followed the exact same formula with many of the usual upgrades (Gravity Suit/Screw Attack/Plasma Beam are cool, but they don't have to always be the ultimate upgrades). Or a more Nintendo-esque comparison, how NSMB was a very average 2D Mario game, but everyone was ecstatic at new 2D Mario after 15 years and with the genre being dead (that not being the case for Metroid).

It's very fun. It's quite meaty, has to be the longest Metroid game.
It tries to do some new things with the series like Aeion abilities. I actually liked Pulse Scan, though I can see how it may bug some.
All enemies dropping restoration items are a nice QoL change. Teleports make moving around SR-388 easier.
Some of the latter areas are quite labyrinthine and the game neither points you into next direction, nor do you feel like you are completely lost all the time.
The game is obviously gorgeous and looks fantastic in 3D. It also plays fairly smooth, despite being 30 fps. Mercury Steam did great job there.

Now, despite it being good, there is a lot of things that aren't that hot. Obviously, some of it is tied to structure of the game - the main premise of tracking down all Metroids on SR388 and killing them all is fine in concept but gets dull pretty fast. SR-388 is also very linear, but they improved on the original game tremendously.
My problem with the design of the areas is that they did not think hiding collectibles through too well. Too many times you solve the puzzle and find that you need a future upgrade to get it. Or too many times collectible lies out in the open behind a block to be destroyed by a future weapon. Feels like an artifical way to extend the length of the game. I really didn't like it.
The controls are... eh. Clunky. More of a problem with the 3DS console itself which is somewhat of an ergonomic nightmare, but a problem nonetheless.
I'm also not too hot on counter mechanic. It really kills the pace in earlier stages. It gets better. Generally, enemies deal way too much damage and take too much time to kill, feels like a cheap way to make it more difficult. Some of the attacks of enemies/bosses in latter stages are truly ridiculous.
The game could also feature some better music. Some tunes work well, but overall, there's not much memorable. And it's another game that reuses Lower Brinstar and Lower Norfair themes. That was unnecessary. There is a good remix or two there, but most of tunes are fairly forgettable.

So yeah, that kinda sounds like I have a lot of problems with the game, which I do, but I still liked it very much. Though I would rank it below any of post-SM 2D Metroids. It plays well, it plays like a legitimate good Metroid game. But I just hope the next time we get a 2D Metroid it takes more risks. Some changes to the formula. New upgrades. Maybe forgo some of the classic items, like Breath of the Wild did. Samus Returns is a great remake that improves a lot on the original, but I hope the next game takes a stab at reinventing a wheel and isn't so slavish to Metroid formula. If it, well, exists at one point. Hopefully.

Ogodei

I kind of like to imagine
the Ridley fight
as a "what if" scenario and not something that definitely happened either way, since it's fairly inconsequential in the grand scheme of things and that helps wave away the tonal changes but appreciate the quality of the fight.

Kind of like
Phantoon
at the end of Other M. Have to consider that stuff non-canon.

Finished it just about an hour ago, 100%.

It was great to play a Metroid game again, and it was a challenging experience at that!

Something I really liked was the focus on the Metroid organisms again, after them being sidelined in most games in the series. Here, their threat is apparent - they can evolve beyond reason, transforming into gargantuan killing machines of offensive potential. The Omega Metroids in particular were monstrous and fearsome.

(The Metroid scholar in me constrasts their evolution to the transformation exhibited in the Metroid Prime organism. While the Metroids of SR388 evolved in bulk and brawn, the lone Metroid in the Chozo crater evolved into intelligent, exotic matter. Despite their differences, both evolutionary paths produced creatures with a tremendous capacity to kill).

What keeps hovering at the forefront of my mind is this: On the Game Boy original, our imagination fills in the gaps between the pixels. In my mind, it was Samus' darkest journey, into the depths where barely any light reached. There was no map, no guidance - just the lone bounty hunter in a maze of indistinct caves and ruins. The deeper she went into that ancient pit of evil, I felt, the less likely she was to ever return. Finally getting to the glass laboratory of the Chozo, suspended above a tremendous chasm, felt like the discovery of a unspoken secret.

Samus Returns loses a lot of that imagined atmosphere for me. It is bright and colourful. It is alive and loud. It has puzzles and structure and light and excitement. And while it has a great many things to be proud of - the oppressive, choking, bewildering, grim and lonely atmosphere I felt while playing the original Game Boy release, is completely absent.

There's a piece of fan-art by Stevietat which is close to my imagined atmosphere of Metroid 2 for the Game Boy. Maybe this will help illustrate how I feel:

MOOYNxh.jpg

No7YdXc.png

In conclusion, it's a very fun game, and the best official Metroid experience in far too long. But it's not how I will remember the story of Samus exploring SR388. That will always be the original release and the atmosphere I imagined as I played it, the hopeless, tortured journey through the depths of the darkest planet in the universe.

Great post as usual Mama. I agree about the feel being way off (while at the same time recognizing that this was still a great Metroid experience, easily the best since Corruption). It was the same as with Zero Mission- A great game for sure, but something was lost. Those original games... They CHOKED you. They made you feel TENSE. Alone and afraid. I really hope they leave Super alone, partly for that reason. It doesn't need to be remade anyway.

That concept art is awesome by the way!

IbukiLordSA

Just finished the game, 12 hours 12 minutes at 60%, I did not expect that final boss though, damn it was awesome, the music and atmosphere was on point and being able to nove around so high was just awesome.

Excellenct game, now to play fusion mode.

TheMoon

Great post as usual Mama. I agree about the feel being way off (while at the same time recognizing that this was still a great Metroid experience, easily the best since Corruption). It was the same as with Zero Mission- A great game for sure, but something was lost. Those original games... They CHOKED you. They made you feel TENSE. Alone and afraid. I really hope they leave Super alone, partly for that reason. It doesn't need to be remade anyway.

That concept art is awesome by the way!

problem is, all but one of those games since Super were made for handhelds where you have to design the color-palette for clear readability which then ends up with bright colors and high contrasts. if this game had been made for Wii U or Switch, it would not have been as "bright," I bet ya. but of course, the spectacle would've still been there.

problem is, all but one of those games since Super were made for handhelds where you have to design the color-palette for clear readability which then ends up with bright colors and high contrasts. if this game had been made for Wii U or Switch, it would not have been as "bright," I bet ya. but of course, the spectacle would've still been there.

Metroid II was for Game Boy.

Pokemaniac

Quick question. Is there anyway to backup my save to my PC with eshop games?

Save files are stored adjacent to the game data on the SD card. Generally, if you're backing things up, I'd recommend that you just do the whole card for simplicity.

Keep in mind though that certain 3DS games have a mechanism to prevent them from loading a save file that is not the most recent one. This most likely doesn't apply to Metroid (it's mostly for Pokemon and Animal Crossing) but it is something to keep in mind.

Metroid II was for Game Boy.

A system which notably lacked colors.

Just finished it, really great game. Controls are phenomenal and really loved all the areas and puzzles. I think it surpasses fusion and ZM, but still loses to prime and super (don't know where to put prime 2 and 3 agains SR).

Great job Mercury Steam, always knew that you guys had it in you! (Loved Lord of Shadow btw).

As is typical for Metroid anything interesting about the story was subtly hinted at in concept art. Is this the first point in any of the games where it's been revealed that the chozo
created the Metroids, specifically that they did it as a counter to the X-parasite?
I feel like I knew that before somehow but can't remember which game it would have been in.

As is typical for Metroid anything interesting about the story was subtly hinted at in concept art. Is this the first point in any of the games where it's been revealed that the chozo
created the Metroids, specifically that they did it as a counter to the X-parasite?
I feel like I knew that before somehow but can't remember which game it would have been in.
The Fusion manual detailed that first.

GeekyDad

Tried going back to Zero Mission. Couldn't do it. The controls and mechanics of this game just spoiled me rotten. There's just no going back now...

Red

I bomb jump a lot in this game. There are some sections I’m not sure how else to bypass.

6 Metroids down in area 3 so far. Navigation is not as enjoyable as in some past games, but the combat is improved. I wish parries worked against more than one enemy at a time. I’ve taken damage when attacked by two creatures at once, because only one is deflected by the swing. Save stations are also a little sparse. I think the area layouts are not as good as earlier 2D games, but I am still enjoying this more than Fusion or Zero Mission because it gives me more respect. It’s been good searching for the path forward without an obvious waypoint.

wwm0nkey

Before my next picture dump, I just wanted to say, screw the 3DS screen forever. So many details in the background that I didn't notice or just didn't look that good that now look great in 1080p

mrkgoo

Before my next picture dump, I just wanted to say, screw the 3DS screen forever. So many details in the background that I didn't notice or just didn't look that good that now look great in 1080p

Does any of that detail make it back if you use the screen in 2d?

Smellycat

I see no reason why this game can't be ported to the Switch later on.

wwm0nkey

I see no reason why this game can't be ported to the Switch later on.
The game plays amazingly on my 360 controller, can only imagine the Pro Controller or split joycon mode. The only real thing that needs some tuning is the textures, that's pretty much it (well and the cost of porting over to a whole new system)

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
It also lacked more complex graphics and sound chips of course that we have now some 25 years later. Yet they still managed to convey a palpable sense of tension and dread completely absent from this game.
personally never felt that in gb, only irritation and annoyance

jholmes

I assume the boss I last fought was Diggernaut (I lost quickly and turned it off... not in disgust, I just didn't know what I was doing and Cuphead and the SNES Classic arrived shortly after). I do think the game has picked up quite a bit in the two areas leading up to this boss fight, but without question this game totally fucks up with the damage enemies do. Everything, even common enemies, hit you like freight trains and to compensate for that the game has you just restart boss fights immediately after losing. There is an alarm when your health is low, but it's meaningless because I never hear it. I don't keep my eye on my health much because it's Metroid and I've come to rely on that alarm, but everything in this game takes off gigantic chunks of health so you're rarely low on life, you generally have a lot left and you get one-shotted. It's such a flaw in the game and rather than fix it, they just build the rest of the game off of it to compensate -- you get tons of health from enemies and can even pick up a lot against many bosses, and you have to use the melee counter constantly because actually engaging with enemies is just too dangerous given their damage output.

I'm sort of shocked that Mercury Steam and Nintendo doubled down on this flaw. It's such a fundamental issue with the game. I don't hate Samus Returns and I do recommend it for fans of the series but the idea this is the best Metroid ever -- are you guys playing the same game I am?

It also lacked more complex graphics and sound chips of course that we have now some 25 years later. Yet they still managed to convey a palpable sense of tension and dread completely absent from this game.

This is the big issue, there's no tension or dread because you just die immediately, like it's a Mario game or something. Death is more of a shock than an annoyance because it just shoves you back to where you were before you died. No consequence, no warning -- it totally misses what death is supposed to mean in a Metroid game.

Death only sends you back to a checkpoint, which are triggered by using an elevator/teleport station, getting a major upgrade, lowering the purple liquid level, as well as before and after a boss (and saving, I guess). It's rare that a death in normal exploration is meaningless, and checkpoints at bosses aren't actually new to Samus Returns.

Anteo

I think ive been lucky with the health, i have finished lots of fights with 50 or less hp in both normal and hard mode. I have heard that alarm so many times..

mrkgoo

I assume the boss I last fought was Diggernaut (I lost quickly and turned it off... not in disgust, I just didn't know what I was doing and Cuphead and the SNES Classic arrived shortly after). I do think the game has picked up quite a bit in the two areas leading up to this boss fight, but without question this game totally fucks up with the damage enemies do. Everything, even common enemies, hit you like freight trains and to compensate for that the game has you just restart boss fights immediately after losing. There is an alarm when your health is low, but it's meaningless because I never hear it. I don't keep my eye on my health much because it's Metroid and I've come to rely on that alarm, but everything in this game takes off gigantic chunks of health so you're rarely low on life, you generally have a lot left and you get one-shotted. It's such a flaw in the game and rather than fix it, they just build the rest of the game off of it to compensate -- you get tons of health from enemies and can even pick up a lot against many bosses, and you have to use the melee counter constantly because actually engaging with enemies is just too dangerous given their damage output.

I'm sort of shocked that Mercury Steam and Nintendo doubled down on this flaw. It's such a fundamental issue with the game. I don't hate Samus Returns and I do recommend it for fans of the series but the idea this is the best Metroid ever -- are you guys playing the same game I am?

This is the big issue, there's no tension or dread because you just die immediately, like it's a Mario game or something. Death is more of a shock than an annoyance because it just shoves you back to where you were before you died. No consequence, no warning -- it totally misses what death is supposed to mean in a Metroid game.

Are you playing on hard?

Anyway I've been playing Super Metroid and there is most definitely a better sense of isolation and atmosphere in super. I think it's because it's paced out better the game starts with an action set piece then ramps back to quiet exploration with NO enemies for a bit. Just you and the environment. It's done masterfully.

Sterok

Combat in Samus Returns heavily relies on not taking damage. More than usual in my opinion. Boss patterns are pretty easy to memorize, Samus controls super well so there's rarely a need to tank hits, the Lightning Armor provides a pretty big cushion, and the melee counter is there as an emergency button against normal enemies you aren't comfortable dodging. It's a bit of an adjustment from Super/Fusion/Zero Mission, but I think it ultimately works out pretty well.

Today in glitch city, Phase Drift may have some additional applications.

jokkir

Finally beat the game with 9:41:54 as my first time (around 64% completion) and then got 100% with 11:16:05 as the final time. The bosses got really easy when you figure out the patterns including the last boss. It was so easy to cheese and the fight got way easier after getting more upgrades.

I still think Fusion and Super were much better games but this was alright.

100% in 15 hours plus change. I have conflicting feelings about this game. Samus controls like a dream, and the structure and map design are quite good, if not the top of the genre, but moment to moment pacing and the balance of combat and exploration don't often align with what I expect out of a Metroid game.

Add in the weakness of atmosphere many posters are citing, and Samus Returns just doesn't compare to Fusion, Super, or Prime. I think I need to put Zero Mission on my list of what to play next to get a feel for how remakes in the series were previously approached.

ghibli99

Tried going back to Zero Mission. Couldn't do it. The controls and mechanics of this game just spoiled me rotten. There's just no going back now...
Eh... I started Super Metroid immediately after Samus Returns. Doesn't take long to get used to the older games.

MOOYNxh.jpg

No7YdXc.png

While I think a darker world would be cool ideally, it's also important to remember that this game is on the 3DS, and that necessitates it being brighter. 3DS has a pretty dim screen, and dark games are extremely difficult to see while playing outside. A lot of 3DS games err on the brighter side in the interest of portability.

I played Samus Returns outside all the time, and my impression of it that it was pretty borderline when it comes to brightness. Any darker and I think the game would be kinda unplayable, to be honest.

Our hope for a darker Metroid definitely lies in the Switch, which has a far better screen than the 3DS.

Top Bottom