• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexico diverts aid allocated for Hurricane Harvey to Mexico, post-quake

entremet

Mexico has withdrawn its offer of aid to US victims of Hurricane Harvey after a 8.1 magnitude earthquake hit the southern states of Oaxaca and Chiapas, killing 96 people.

A statement released by Mexico’s Foreign Ministry said the aid would now be redirected to help those affected by the devastating earthquake and Hurricane Katia that wreaked havoc on home soil.

As many as 5,000 homes were destroyed in Chiapas, with authorities fearing the damage in Oaxaca could be even worse.

"Given this situation, the Mexican government will channel all available logistical support to the families and communities that have been affected in Mexico and has informed the Texas and US governments that, unfortunately, on this occasion, it won't be possible to provide the assistance originally offered to Texas in late August in the wake of Hurricane Harvey," the foreign ministry said in a statement.

Mexico had pledged to offer food, generators and medical aid to Texas “as good neighbours should always do in trying times.”

The Mexican Red Cross also sent 33 volunteers to help the relief effort in Houston.

But the US President never formally accepted the offer and continued to attack the country on Twitter, calling the country "one of the highest crime nations in the world."

Mr Trump failed to offer condolences to the country after the earthquake and the separate hurricane, sparking heavy condemnation from around the world.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-e...hdraws-hurricane-132712362.html?ref=hvper.com

This is the first time I've heard that Trump failed to send condolences to Mexico regarding their earthquake. What a classless twit.

Hours after rescinding the aid offer, Mexico's Foreign Secretary Luis Videgaray reportedly received a phone call from US Secretary of State Rex Tillerson.
They had to be called out first before the US picked up the phone and offered help. What the hell. That call should have been placed first thing with an offer to help Mexico if they need it.

KarmaCow

I was worried for a second there because that's a horrendous thing to do but the story just says they're trying to deal with their own national disasters rather than trying to spite Trump by abandoning people in need.

Syriel

https://www.yahoo.com/news/mexico-e...hdraws-hurricane-132712362.html?ref=hvper.com

This is the first time I've heard that Trump failed to send condolences to Mexico regarding their earthquake. What a classless twit.

Title is misleading troll bait.

Mexico doesn't give a shit about Trump and his condolences (or lack thereof).

Mexico redirected its aid to its own citizens because the US never accepted the help and the earthquake victims need it more.

It is a question of need, not hurt feelings.

Tittle is misleading. They need the resources for their own disaster that's the real reason. Trump not sending condolences is just him being a clueless assholes. Did the state department issue anything?

those are the most basic things a leader should be able to do! how in the flying fuck do you mess that up? you can just have someone send the condolences for you! he really is an indecent human being that doesn't care about anyone else but himself.

Ernest

Banned

Mexico redirected its aid to its own citizens because the US never accepted the help and the earthquake victims need it more.

Agreed. But Trump's still a dick.

Tittle is misleading. They need the resources for their own disaster that's the real reason. Trump not sending condolences is just him being a clueless assholes. Did the state department issue anything?

the state department may as well not exist anymore with whatever skeleton crew they're operating with over there

I was worried for a second there because that's a horrendous thing to do but the story just says they're trying to deal with their own national disasters rather than trying to spite Trump by abandoning people in need.

Title is bad. Mexico just had an offshore earthquake, its understandable for them to pull back.

These.

Slime

Banned
Yahoo trying to make Mexico look petulant.

Trump's a dick, but that's not why they redirected aid to deal with domestic disasters.

Mortemis

Banned
Well, from my point of view, people suffering from Harvey don't deserve to lose aid because their president is an idiot

The OP has a stupid thread title. It's not really about Trump, it's more about the earthquake and the funds helping their local disaster, and since the US never accepted the aid they're okay with doing this. They're still sending some aid though.

Edit: okay, yahoo and the OP have a stupid headline.

Kintaco

"You'll never guess what Mexico does when Trump fails to send condolences. The result will shock you!"

Here use this title it is less clickbaity.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
The OP has a stupid thread title. It's not really about Trump, it's more about the earthquake and the funds helping their local disaster, and since the US never accepted the aid they're okay with doing this. They're still sending some aid though.

Trump still didn't offer condolences, though :O

We all dislike Trump but this is petty af. You don't offer to help people and take back your word it only makes you look bad. Don't make the offer.

Oh yeah and we noticed. Not even a single fucking tweet of condolences after his southern (and still ally) neighbor suffered the worst earthquake since 1985.

Also the title is misleading. I thought Mexico refused aid because Trump failed to send condolences but that seems to just be the cherry on top of the shitcake that was the earthquake which redirects our efforts and priorities away from the US, sadly.

entremet

It's copy and pasted.

But I would edit if I could. Yahoo news is usually better. Never heard of The Independent, that the source agency. Are they good?

This is why I usually stick with the NYT or WaPO lol.

the state department may as well not exist anymore with whatever skeleton crew they're operating with over there

Yeah I know but I had a glimmer of hope that they would after all the Mexican government sent their representative to meet Tillerson and offered help during a live press conference. SMH not even a written statement? Fucking depressing.

don't blame me for detailed misleading titles
Reading a paragraph isn't hard buddy

On topic: Mexico shouldn't even have to send aid when the US spends millions on defense yet Texas and Florida are more than likely not going to get anywhere near the economic aid they actually need from the federal government.

entremet

And he's an ass for it.

Yeah it's cool. Also idk about the independent.

Yeah, the big news item here is that Trump didn't send formal apologies. That's my takeaway. I thought he did. This is normal stuff for Presidents and they're our neighbor too.

Steejee

Misleading, but Trump is still a prick who couldn't even be bothered to do the bare minimum required to be considered a not-horrible-person, much less a president.

entremet

Maybe don't do that, and actually put thought into creating a thread as opposed to being an RSS feed?

My sources are usually pretty good. Got baited this time. If I could edit, I would. One of my bigger beefs about the forum software here.

My big takeaway is the lack of apology as well, not the false causal link. That's bigger news to me honestly.

My sources are usually pretty good. Got baited this time. If I could edit, I would. One of my bigger beefs about the forum software here.

Nah, not being able to edit topic titles is perfectly fine.
It just means that thought should be put in before creating them.

Could a mod modify the thread title?

I don't think our country should be portrayed as "backing up" from the offer without the full details

As a lot of gafers here have stated, we had a hurricane and a 8.4 earthquake

Please, mods, change the title, the last thing we want is to be attacked because "we decided to just not help our neighbors"

I know the intention of the OP wasn't bad, mistakes happen

entremet

Could a mod modify the thread title?

I don't think our country should be portrayed as "backing up" from the offer without the full details

As a lot of gafers here have stated, we had a hurricane and a 8.4 earthquake

Please, mods, change the title, the last thing we want is to be attacked because we decided to just not help our neighbors

I know the intention of the OP wasn't bad, mistakes happen

I already got it changed. Thanks, mod.

Top Bottom