• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mexico diverts aid allocated for Hurricane Harvey to Mexico, post-quake

jett

D-Member
What a shitty (former) thread title, seriously OP. You think you were making Trump look bad, but you were making Mexico looks like the pettiest motherfuckers this side of...well, Trump!

There doesn't to be much of a story here, Mexico withdrew aid because they have their own catastrophe to worry about.

hollomat

Banned
The writer of the article clearly had a viewpoint they wanted to get across.

Mexico pledged aid than had its own disaster and needed the resources to deal with that.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
The original title was: "Mexico withdraws Hurricane Harvey aid after Trump fails to send condolences" which is narrowly true in a chronological sense, but makes people think the reason for doing so is the final part of the sentence, when in fact it was to deal with their own disaster (and the "Trump is garbage at basic symbolic stuff and diplomacy" thing was a kicker)

The second title was: "Mexico withdraws Hurricane Harvey aid", which of course solves the framing problem but now makes people who didn't read the OP think that Mexico did this for no reason

The new title makes it most clear, but now what's the story here?

zeemumu

Makes sense. No one would expect them to prioritize the citizens of another country over their own. Trump being a dick just makes that decision easier but it would've happened regardless.

The original title was: "Mexico withdraws Hurricane Harvey aid after Trump fails to send condolences" which is narrowly true in a chronological sense, but makes people think the reason for doing so is the final part of the sentence, when in fact it was to deal with their own disaster (and the "Trump is garbage at basic symbolic stuff and diplomacy" thing was a kicker)

The second title was: "Mexico withdraws Hurricane Harvey aid", which of course solves the framing problem but now makes people who didn't read the OP think that Mexico did this for no reason

The new title makes it most clear, but now what's the story here?

Title's better except its still kinda wrong since the earthquake hit the most in the states of Oaxaca and Chiapas (southern Mexico). Mexico City felt it too but didnt register any loss or damage so the help is being funneled to those states rather than the Mexican capital.

EDIT: saw the title change. Thanks!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Title's better except its still kinda wrong since the earthquake hit the most in the states of Oaxaca and Chiapas (southern Mexico). Mexico City felt it too but didnt register any loss or damage so the help is being funneled to those states rather than the Mexican capital.

Surely the newest, most updated title will nail it. :/

well, the news would be that for Trump insulting Mexico over Twitter is more important than helping American citizens with accepting the offer.

Did the US ever accept Mexico's offer to help and allow em to come in?

Not this administration. At least not publicly.

Bush did, though. Back in 2005 Mexico sent hundreds of Mexican Army soldiers and tons and tons of food and supplies to aid Katrina victims. Bush let them in and even thanked them in person. There are pictures of that too.

katrina-mex.jpg.size.custom.crop.1086x736.jpg

1200px-050909-N-4374S-008_-_U.S._Navy_sailors_and_Mexican_marines_cleaning_up_hurricane_debris.jpg

14fcb267d0760073a732db095d0608bb-450x0.jpg

Here's the convoy on its way:
1504474752-TXLRS101_3661686.JPG

We can tackle multiple problems at once

But can we though...

Equifax just compromised the private data of one third of the entire US population.

A couple people looted a Footlocker in Florida during the hurricane.

Guess which has more news coverage.

Most of the time we can barely tackle one problem at once.

But can we though...

Equifax just compromised the private data of one third of the entire US population.

A couple people looted a Footlocker in Florida during the hurricane.

Guess which has more news coverage.

Most of the time we can barely tackle one problem at once.

Equifax private data breach.
Why were we guessing again?

Equifax data breach - 196,000

Irma looting - 793,000

Selective searching, how does it work?

What?
I got 656,000 for the first, and 807,000 for the second.

Not to mention, you said at Foot Locker, whereas "looting" covers far more than just "at Foot Locker."
looting foot locker gets 19,600 results

Anyway, this is off-topic, feel free to continue in PMs if you want. Or if you'd like to create a new topic, I'd participate.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
don't blame me for detailed misleading titles
lol, yes people absolutely should be blamed for not reading the OP, misleading title or not

Not reading the OP is still bannable, I believe.
I wish...

I'll blame you for not reading the OP, which is against the rules.
It is? Can we report posts that don't to mods? I had seriously no idea, I just thought it was considered rude at the worst. Good to know!

Top Bottom