• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS Phantom Pain reviews potentially compromised

Krabboss

Being first to write a review matters. The sites who've got a review up now will probably end up with more clicks than sites that put up a review in 1 to 2 weeks. I understand all that, but I still wonder why anybody would accept going to this event. It seems like a really good way to ruin your enjoyment of a highly anticipated game. Clearly the review scores are high still, but I wonder now if they were being lenient because it wouldn't be fair to judge the game for them getting bored from time to time. I know I'd get bored playing a story-lite sandbox game like this for hours on end but maybe that's just me.

FStop7

Banned
TBH the breathless review hyperbole reminds me of MGS4 and GTA4 all over again. I've already made the decision to buy the game, so whatever. But I get the feeling these reviews are the type we'll look back on in a couple of years and shake our heads.

Servbot24

Banned
What a sensationalist thread title.

Journos don't have to submit their review immediately after boot camp. They don't even have to go at all.

Jason, one question. I hope you will be able to answer this honestly.

Don't you think review events under the watch of publisher PR is detrimental to the essence of games journalism? Don't you think games should be "reviewed" from the player perspective i.e. a copy should be provided to you and should review it "comfortably" on your couch/sofa? You know, just like a average player would.

They have that option. No one is forced to go, Jason obviously didn't.

What's sensationalist about it? It says "potentially" and the conditions absolutely will have lead to reviews being compromised in some way. For a start - they couldn't try any of the online features. Immediately every single review is compromised by not being able to discuss that feature.

Moreso in an online focused game. Many of us aren't looking forward to the online aspects. Those that are can wait until after release.

Cwarrior

I feel this was a lot better than MGS4. I remember there were many things reviewers weren't allowed to say in the review for MGS4, like the install time and how long the cutscenes were.

Seriously what's the point of a review if your not allowed to talk about negative aspects.

Reviews for MGS4 and GTA4 were the biggest joke to come out the gameing industry.

I except 11 out of 10s and hyperbole attention grab quotes.

So, I can't verify it myself, but I did get an email from a legit Aussie game journo who said they had five *hours* out there, rather than days. Not sure how many, or even if it's true, but that's the word on the grapevine.

What a sensationalist thread title.

Journos don't have to submit their review immediately after boot camp. They don't even have to go at all.

What's sensationalist about it? It says "potentially" and the conditions absolutely will have lead to reviews being compromised in some way. For a start - they couldn't try any of the online features. Immediately every single review is compromised by not being able to discuss that feature.

jschreier

Jason, one question. I hope you will be able to answer this honestly.

Don't you think review events under the watch of publisher PR is detrimental to the essence of games journalism? Don't you think games should be "reviewed" from the player perspective i.e. a copy should be provided to you and should review it "comfortably" on your couch/sofa? You know, just like a average player would.
IDK. I'm not a big fan but I don't really think they compromise the integrity of a review or anything like that. They're also not really relevant these days -- I think the last one we went to was in 2012 for Halo 4?

Servbot24

Banned
So, I can't verify it myself, but I did get an email from a legit Aussie game journo who said they had five *hours* out there, rather than days. Not sure how many, or even if it's true, but that's the word on the grapevine.

Then it's on the journo to not submit the review until they're ready.

If they're worried about bringing in traffic they can just post another "Konami sucks" article in the meantime.

It may just be me, but when I see "compromised", I think paid off rather than rushed. My assumption is that practically every game review before release is rushed.

Then it's on the journo to not submit the review until they're ready.

If they're worried about bringing in traffic they can just post another "Konami sucks" article in the meantime.

It may just be me, but when I see "compromised", I think paid off rather than rushed. My assumption is that practically every game review before release is rushed.

You sly fox.

What shocks me is the fact that the delay to MGO was probably so it wouldn't create a backlash of review scores, as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere I do believe.

With that being the case, how will it be reviewed as a separate game or amending current review scores?

Doubt it, it's not a game like battelfield or COD, I don't see many reviewers really doing it.

Skele7on

Banned
What shocks me is the fact that the delay to MGO was probably so it wouldn't create a backlash of review scores, as it hasn't been mentioned anywhere I do believe.

With that being the case, how will it be reviewed as a separate game or amending current review scores?

If anyone has seen information regarding MGO please could you make me/us aware, we're worried about the safety of it....

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Is Konami intent on making themselves into a corporate version of Dracula at this point? Maybe all the negative publicity is actually profitable to them, somehow.

Compromised or not, I'm sure the game is great, and the reviews aren't necessarily completely unreliable, but why do they keep pulling nonsense like this? Between Kojima "leaving", their treatment of employees, this, and the microtransactions thing, it's been nothing but one sucker punch after another.

Dartastic

I found it weird that some sites say there is no story but Gamespot and others say it's interesting and ever wraps up.

First thing I said was a wonder if the reviews that had issues listened to the tapes and even got the TRUE ending.
Friend of mine was at the review event, but he's not "reviewing" the game like a traditional site, so he wasn't powering through it. He wound up mostly taking his time. I mentioned the "lack of story" complaints in numerous reviews to him, and he straight up told me that people were wrong, and that they probably weren't listening to the cassette tapes.

Golicz

Banned
TBH the breathless review hyperbole reminds me of MGS4 and GTA4 all over again. I've already made the decision to buy the game, so whatever. But I get the feeling these reviews are the type we'll look back on in a couple of years and shake our heads.

Yep, we've been here a thousand times before, i.e. a huge release receives outstanding praise... ergo I'll wait until user reviews drop before I make a decision.

I've found must 10/10 games never deserved such a huge score, as a result I always react to perfect scores with raised eyebrows now. A 10/10 score for a video game (especially a hyped title) is like a world record in an Athletics world championship, i.e. good for brand awareness & the industry as a whole, so I'm now always inclined to wait until actual players & fans give their post-release impressions on youtube & forums such as this one.

Maybe MGS 5 deserves the praise? That could well be the case, but, I'm certain I'll be forgiven for not exactly trusting the 'professional' media anymore.

.It may just be me, but when I see "compromised", I think paid off rather than rushed. My assumption is that practically every game review before release is rushed.

It's not just you, when I say the title I thought this first.

Sad to hear this is how it was reviewed, add it to the pile of reason why Konami can fuck right off. I can't imagine this has affected scores that much anyway, I assumed it would score high like every console Metal Gear game. I'm more curious about longtime fan opinions, and impressions on the multiplayer more than anything.

Herbs

Banned
Yep, we've been here a thousand times before, i.e. a huge release receives outstanding praise... ergo I'll wait until user reviews drop before I make a decision.

I've found must 10/10 games never deserved such a huge score, as a result I always react to perfect scores with raised eyebrows now. A 10/10 score for a video game (especially a hyped title) is like a world record in an Athletics world championship, i.e. good for brand awareness & the industry as a whole, so I'm now always inclined to wait until actual players & fans give their post-release impressions on youtube & forums such as this one.

Maybe MGS 5 deserves the praise? That could well be the case, but, I'm certain I'll be forgiven for not exactly trusting the 'professional' media anymore.

haha

Skele7on

Banned
Doubt it, it's not a game like battelfield or COD, I don't see many reviewers really doing it.

the original had a huge following of really great players and a lot of packed servers so it being dismissed like this.
As an old veteran of it really sucks and makes me feel like it's going to be absolutely shocking.

robotrock

Banned
I trust the places that chose not to go in the first place lol

image.php

Bl@de

So all the reviews are useless to me. Well these days I trust guys like AngryJoe and other reviewers more than the big outlets who review games in bootcamps. But for those reviews you have to wait until 2-3 weeks after release.

the original had a huge following of really great players and a lot of packed servers so it being dismissed like this.
As an old veteran of it really sucks and makes me feel like it's going to be absolutely shocking.

I'd just wait until after release rather than be down and out about it now. No one has played it, so nothing anyone can tell you.

Zomba13

So you're telling me reviews conducted at review events where you can only talk about what they want you to talk about might be compromised? Naaaaaah.

This is part of the problem when people want the first and fastest reviews out the door and don't count the later and perhaps more analytical reviews.

Most reviews done at launched are rushed through in unrealistically quick play experiences, so I don't see why this is all that different. Good reviewers take that into account and adjust their review/impressions to the fact that the experience they have is different than someone playing normally would likely have.

Orayn

So all the reviews are useless to me. Well these days I trust guys like AngryJoe and other reviewers more than the big outlets who review games in bootcamps. But for those reviews you have to wait until 2-3 weeks after release.

Most big YouTubers are parts of huge MCNs owned by multinational corporations. You might be able to assume that they play a game in an environment that's more similar to the average consumer, but their conclusions aren't inherently more trustworthy.

This is good news!!!!! that explains some of the reviews saying there was lack of a story and no codec talks.

Now i'm happy again. It's strange tho that no one talked about the Microtransactions in the game. From what i heard they are more like Farmville Timers (Energy) that you can skip by buying speed ups.

IDK. I'm not a big fan but I don't really think they compromise the integrity of a review or anything like that. They're also not really relevant these days -- I think the last one we went to was in 2012 for Halo 4?

Thanks for the response. So why do you think Konami held it? To avoid story spoilers?

Bl@de

Most big YouTubers are parts of huge MCNs owned by multinational corporations. You might be able to assume that they play a game in an environment that's more similar to the average consumer, but their conclusions aren't inherently more trustworthy.

Well yeah they are not perfect but most of them are still better then things like we have here.

Games reviews have changed

ID tagged review copies, played by ID tagged reviewers, with ID tagged PS4's. Information control, genetic control, review score control

Myggen

They were more common a decade ago and are all but nonexistent today. Can't remember the last one before this, outside of Call of Duty, and we can generally still get a review copy in the office prior to release, even when we pass on the review event. Hopefully that'll be the case here too.

Seems like Destructoid's review is entirely based on a retail version of the game Konami sent to the site, they didn't attend the review event. Same with Kotaku. Konami seems to maybe be treating outlets differently.

Lazygamer

Neo Member
As someone who runs a smaller site I have to agree with most of the feelings here.

Review events aren't great and it would be so much better to be given a copy to review in the comfort of our own office/home.

This happens around 80% of the time for us but for MP heavy games and some publishers they do insist on it being handled at a review event.

When this happens, if we feel we can review it in the time given, the review will be marked as being done at an event.

If the time isn't enough then a hands-on preview will be posted instead.

It's nice to say that we should simply refuse but in the end that would just send our readers to the juggernauts to read the day one review. Which in my opinion is worse for the industry as a whole than these review events.

There is no quick fix and it would be nice for everyone to remember that we aren't all backed by corporations with budgets or live in the EU or US.

My reviewer went to the South African review event for 8-10 hours a day for 5 straight days to get as much playtime as humanly possible.. he also assured me he didn't wear a chicken hat

http://www.lazygamer.net/genre/stealth/metal-gear-solid-v-the-phantom-pain-review-whos-the-big-boss/

I went past to see him a few times and the setup was very professional, there was a Konami rep there but he didn't interfere or try guide the playthrough by any stretch of the imagination.

It's not ideal but it is the best opportunity we have and I personally thank Konami for at least giving our small market a chance. It's not a perfect world but we do our best to exist in it.

ON THE OTHER HAND

some other local journalists have posted full reviews with no mention of the review event after only playing for less than 7 hours.. so yes problems exist.

In the end you need to find an outlet that you think is trustworthy and will be honest with you...

-Gavin

Haunted

I don't care how qualified and objective you think you are. I don't care if you're a small site and this is literally the only chance you get to compete.

You go to one of these, and I simply cannot take your opinion seriously. It's impossible. action -> reaction

Myggen

Doesn't seem accurate at all if Greg Miller is to be believed, he says he played it for tens of hours there.

Alienous

That doesn't ... what?

That doesn't make sense.

Edit:

Ah, Lazygamer's post clears up that assertion somewhat.

Some journalists went to the 5 day review event, and others decided not to or couldn't, so instead based their review on a different MGSV preview event?

TwoDurans

"Never said I wasn't a hypocrite."
I thought it was known that reviewers tend to play games on easy so they could blow through them. It's more concerning that they didn't play MGO or experience the FOBs.

It is, however, exciting that the review scores will go up once the game launches. That's how it works, right? A 10/10 becomes a 12/10 once the reviewer can actually play the full game.

But...what if you played a retail build on your own time "listened to all the tapes" and you still came to the conclusion that the content / format of the tapes is inferior to Kojimas traditional cutscene based story telling?

I understand the concern about reviewers missing important info, but "compromised" seems a bit extreme. People haven't been a fan of the tapes being a replacement for cutscenes / codec since Peacewalker. People knew they were there, they just don't like them replacing Kojima directed cutscenes.

I don't think any claim of reviewers rushing through the game could invalidate all the complaints that reviewers have about the perceived lack of story. There's just too many reviewers (bootcamp or not) who are bringing it up.

It seemed obvious from GZ that Kojima was going down the show don't tell route. I might be getting it wrong, but I also remember a quote from Kojima saying cutscenes were kind of "old fashioned"

But...what if you played a retail build on your own time "listened to all the tapes" and you still came to the conclusion that the content / format of the tapes is inferior to Kojimas traditional cutscene based story telling?

I understand the concern about reviewers missing important info, but "compromised" seems a bit extreme. People haven't been a fan of the tapes being a replacement for cutscenes / codec since Peacewalker. People knew they were there, they just don't like them replacing Kojima directed cutscenes.

I don't think any claim of reviewers rushing through the game could invalidate all the complaints that reviewers have about the perceived lack of story. There's just too many reviewers (bootcamp or not) who are bringing it up.

It seemed obvious from GZ that Kojima was going down the show don't tell route. I might be getting it wrong, but I also remember a quote from Kojima saying cutscenes were kind of "old fashioned"

You seem to be assuming that people think the reviews could be compromised because there's something "wrong" in them. That isn't the case.

viveks86

Potentially compromised? Came in imagining Konami had all websites bribed, threatened at gunpoint or hacked to increase review scores.

I'm not downplaying the issue, but there is no reason to single out this game. When everyone expects reviews to be out before the game even launches, expect these sort of shortcuts and less than ideal reviewing conditions. Given that some had access to review copies outside of the event for this game, I'm not even sure what the fuss is about.

The pre-order and "day one" culture among gamers needs to die so that everyone isn't melting down over lack of reviews before launch. When that happens, everything else will self-correct. We all know that will never happen, so here we are.

You seem to be assuming that people think the reviews could be compromised because there's something "wrong" in them. That isn't the case.

I know what you mean, but from reading the review thread, where this issue was first brought up, it was being used by a lot people to try dampen fears of the game lacking a story. "Reviewers are criticizing the story, because they rushed through it and missed stuff etc etc."

I'm saying that their could be just as many reviewers who listened to enough of tapes to form an opinion and still fully completed the game by time the Bootcamp ended. After all you can play tapes while moving around in the TPP can't you? Like in GZ?

Lazygamer

Neo Member
Am I the only one who finds it odd that the reviews are releasing one week before the game ships, rather than the day before?

I've always found that the earlier a review is released and the less marketing is seen the better the game...
no scientific evidence to back that up...

The fact that some outlets had to attend the review event while others did not is really in bad taste.

Well, they even provided different codes to different people.

For example:

Greg Miller got an actual retail code.
Some press played a debug build that had the full game.
Community websites played a debug build which had everything except
the true ending.

Top Bottom