• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS Phantom Pain reviews potentially compromised

What's sensationalist about it? It says "potentially" and the conditions absolutely will have lead to reviews being compromised in some way. For a start - they couldn't try any of the online features. Immediately every single review is compromised by not being able to discuss that feature.

I don't agree with this. the online features are not the main draw in the slightest for this. Even If MGO is unplayable garbage it doesn't matter. It's not like they're reviewing the online component without having played it, you're making an informed purchase on whether or not you think you'll enjoy the single player component. Many reviews will be updated to reflect the online components when it's available. MGO isn't even out until october and then 2016 for PC, should reviewers wait until then to review the game?

Am I the only one who finds it odd that the reviews are releasing one week before the game ships, rather than the day before?

Metal Gear games have historically reviewed tremendously, there's no need to spring the reviews on people the day before. It's good word of mouth either way.

K.Sabot

Thread OP being alarmist, nothing really that wrong with the process behind the reviews that are already up.

You could say that perhaps their opinions of the game would only increase if they were given properly spaced time to play the game.

I've always found that the earlier a review is released and the less marketing is seen the better the game...
no scientific evidence to back that up...

Probably. A lot of games have early embargoes, especially if a publisher is confident in it.

It's not really unprecedented. Dragon Age Inquisition's reviews came out about a week and a half before launch.

Metal Gear games have historically reviewed tremendously, there's no need to spring the reviews on people the day before. It's good word of mouth either way.

Thanks for your responses. I've often felt that two or three days would be the standard, but it depends on the publisher.

Kade

Well yeah they are not perfect but most of them are still better then things like we have here.

Most of them can't even articulate their thoughts without exaggerating them for entertainment rather than to be informative or objective so it's kind of a "different but not better or worse" situation. I guess you gotta choose which presentation suits your needs better.

Revven

The ideal way to review a game is to be given a retail copy from the publisher in advance from the release of the game, let them play it, write a review, and then put it out the day of or the week of release.

Doing review events like this or par-taking in embargoes that last all the way until release time (like AC: Unity...) don't typically go well or aren't great situations for reviewers to be in. Some reviewers may do just fine with those situations while others might rush through the game to be able to write a review on it. Then there's the fact that some reviewers fail to mention the circumstances they were under while playing the game for review -- I believe we've talked about this kind of thing before on here on GAF... where if you were involved in an event held by the publisher to review the game as a journalist it is in your best interest to tell the reader somewhere either before the review or within the review.

This way the reader can have the proper context for your review and whether they can trust you. Doing that alone builds trust between the reader and the writer. Failing to note or put a disclaimer about it creates the uncertainty that we're seeing here because now we don't know who went to the event and who didn't because none of the reviews have this disclaimer. So, it's allowing readers to run wild with whoever's reviews are not trustworthy.

If there was a proper standard all publishers followed for reviews we wouldn't have this problem crop up with every big release. Day 1 embargoes, full week early embargoes, review events, etc. etc. And it happens because there's some people who only can rely on the publisher because they're not big enough to ask for a retail copy or given as much time as possible to play the game for review. It's terrible.

The topic title is a little hyperbolic though, imo, because it's not all reviews and far from the ones with mainstream audiences (IGN, Gamespot, etc.)

It's a chicken hat who cares?

I don't see the chicken hat as being any different than the EZ gun in MGS3. It would only make me question the review if the reviewer made a specific point about the game being too easy, and he failed to point out that he was using an item which trivialized the difficulty.

Of all the reviews I've read, I don't think I've even seen any complaint about the difficulty (other than something about cutscenes being locked being hard versions of boss fights)

Using "cheat items" which may or may not remove major gameplay elements still wouldn't get me to automatically ignore a review.

Darksol

This is a non-issue to me. Most of the reviews I've read have been of people who have played 30-40+ hours, which is plenty of time to get a solid impression.

Compromised is a strong word. I thought it meant Konami moneyhatted the reviews.
Also, if they rushed through the game and still gave it high scores then playing it slowly at your own pace would be even more fun. I feel for the reviewers though, no one's first experience with a game like this should be rushed.

Asgaro

The game industry is such a JOKE.

I instantly disregard any review of those who rushed through it.
That means anyone who has their review up already.

The game industry is such a JOKE.

I instantly disregard any review of those who rushed through it.
That means anyone who has their review up already.

Just to be sure, it's rushed if they have submitted a score? and have signed off on it?

I'm sure the Phantom Pain is big, especially by MGS standards but I don't think it's so big that an assessment cant be made after 30-40 hours. I also think your overestimating how leisurely a reviewer is when generally reviewing the game, they still want a review up in time to capitilise on public interest.

Bootcamp or not I think reviewers would be pulling all nighters to get a review up of the potentially last MGS game.

I played GZ and liked it, so I will get TPP, that is my review.

I don't have a problem with review camps and along as they disclose. Kotaku disclosed as far as I know.

Are we going to start another thread like this when BLOPS 3 comes out?

"Potentially".

Also uber fans you're doing yourself, the community, and Kojima himself a disservice by vehemently defending this because it happens to be a game you desperately want to play. To those who are able to step down from the hype and accurately assess the situation I commend them.

"Potentially".

Also uber fans you're doing yourself, the community, and Kojima himself a disservice by vehemently defending this because it happens to be a game you desperately want to play. To those who are able to step down from the hype and accurately assess the situation I commend them.

And yet the game still looks good to me. I will buy for Kojima.

artsi

I love Kojima but I have no idea where my money is going. Konami could be laughing all the way to the bank.

Well the one who funds the project gets to reap the profits of course. Kojima has been rewarded by his salary, bonuses and possible stock options.

I just care if the game is good.

"Potentially".

Do you mean people defending the concept of a review event? I haven't really seen anyone do that in here to be honest, I'd say most of the cynicism in this thread comes more from the questionable tone of the OP. I think most people can agree that review events have a big red flag attached to them.

Don't get me wrong, there plenty of reason to be cynical about Konami run press seminar for a game, but I think people aren't letting the mere existence of a review event disregard the reviews coming out of them. Reviews which would by and large be rushed anyway.

Do you mean people defending the concept of a review event? I haven't really seen anyone do that in here to be honest, I'd say most of the cynicism in this thread comes more from the questionable tone of the OP,

Don't get me wrong, there plenty of reason to be cynical about Konami run press seminar for a game, but I think people aren't letting the mere existence of a review event disregard the reviews coming out of them. Reviews which would by and large be rushed anyway.

Exactly a review camp doesn't guarantee a good review. I don't think all reviewers are being bought.

Raide

Never been a huge MGS fan. I will wait for the various reviews of GAF before making a choice. I can trust their massively conflicting views and excessive passion/hatred for the game and then make a choice that falls somewhere in the middle.

Most big YouTubers are parts of huge MCNs owned by multinational corporations. You might be able to assume that they play a game in an environment that's more similar to the average consumer, but their conclusions aren't inherently more trustworthy.

True but anyone who follows AngryJoe knows he's a lot more trustworthy than certain other reviewers. His reviews are really long and thought out and he explains every point. I don't always agree in fact just recently I thought he was crazy for his Arkham Knight review. But I've never questioned his ethics if anything we need more people like him willing to challenge publishers and developers.

The fact we have sites like IGN and Gamespot giving it 10's while admitting they haven't touched the online features all that much and have zero idea how microtransactions will work in the game was already telling.

I wonder if its a case of "if you promise to give us a 9+ you can release the review today. If not you have to wait until release".

GTA Online was (still) completely broken but it didn't stop the GOTY reviews for GTA V even among GAF.

I love Kojima but I have no idea where my money is going. Konami could be laughing all the way to the bank.

They are, but it shouldn't be a determining factor is whether or not you will support this teams artistry. They worked for 5 years on this game, I'd hate to trivialize that over $60.

ViolentP

"Potentially".

Reviews mean fuck-all to me. Rated a 10 or a 1, I am willing to put my money down for the opportunity to gauge for myself.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I remember the thing they set up for 4 was even more gross, it had love-in written all over it, reviewers were getting the whole treatment and even Kojima met with them after they played. When Shane from 1up described thus it sounded like he was describing a wet dream of his...obviously the perfect conditions to review a game objectively.

higemaru

Review boot camps are fucking stupid and for games as big as something like Metal Gear totally unnecessary. If the only option is having a boot camp versus no pre release reviews it should be the latter.
Yeah, I would have taken no pre-release reviews over potentially compromised reviews. It's a main series Metal Gear game, it's going to score highly no matter what. And it's also going to sell no matter what.

sn00zer

It sounds like the absolute worst way to enjoy the game it it still got 9 and 10s. So not sure what the compromise is exactly.

True but anyone who follows AngryJoe knows he's a lot more trustworthy than certain other reviewers. His reviews are really long and thought out and he explains every point. I don't always agree in fact just recently I thought he was crazy for his Arkham Knight review. But I've never questioned his ethics if anything we need more people like him willing to challenge publishers and developers.

Could care less about what angry joe or any review says. I usually watch a little twitch, see if it looks good, check reddit and gaf to make sure it isn't broken and pick it up. Sometimes, I'll see what other gamers have to say, but rarely. It's a game, not a new car. It's cool that you dig angry joe, I've listened to him for entertainment value, but you put too much stock in the opinions of others imo, especially seeing that thread of yours. Nothing is stopping you from waiting for your angry joe review anyhow.

This is how I play most games I'm excited about when I have no other responsibilities (including pants), so I guess all my opinions will be and have always been compromised.

It sounds like the absolute worst way to enjoy the game it it still got 9 and 10s. So not sure what the compromise is exactly.

Only reason we didn't get 11's.

THRILLH0

Banned
In my boot camp, reviewers were charging through missions wearing the chicken hat (which makes you invisible) almost completely ignoring Mother Base and all the side-ops in a race for the 'end'.

What an embarrassment. Any reviewer who;

a) Did this, and/or
b) Didn't put a disclaimer on their review

is pathetic

That goddamn chicken hat. You fucked me off once before and I swear you will one day pay your dues.

Honestly it's no surprise Konami did something like this. Shocked there are no reports of reporters being treated like animals in a cage, forced to fight and feed on scraps to survive.

Top Bottom