• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGS3 = NFL2K5

My buddy just bought MGS3 at the independent game store we usually shop at. The box is for MGS3, the disc has the MGS3 label, and the MGS3 instructions are inside. We took it back to my place and fired it up, and NFL2K5 came on the screen. WTF?

Is there a known run of MGS3 discs that's messed up like this? A google search didn't come up with anything.

lol...wtf?

MGS3 = TOWNED!

8.jpg

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
I'll post some pics later tonight. I don't have a digital camera, but we can use my friend's webcam after we take it over to his place.

Liono

Sounds more like funny business with the independent store to me, if it's actually true. I've never once heard of a factory mix up like that.

Ford Prefect

GAAAAAAAAY
You're part of the club now. All those impressions, reviews, and screens were fake. It's been a scam all this time!

hideo.jpg

"You didn't like the MGS2 plot, eh? I have a wonderful plan..."

Update: Something else is going on.

It wouldn't run at first on my PS2. It would go to the browser screen, then when I selected the game disc, the screen would go dark for a second like the game was starting, then return to the browser screen. I recently installed a fliptop case mod and I figured it might be related to that, so I got the game to boot by using my Swap Magic boot disc. That's when I found out it was a football game.

I just brought the game to my friend's house, and it won't boot there either. We stopped by the same game store and bought a second copy of MGS3. That one works just fine.

I have examined the disc, box, and manual very closely and see no indication that the game is a bootleg.

I'll show you some crappy webcam pics of the game disc right now. The football screenshots will have to wait. ;)

mgs1.jpg
mgs2.jpg
mgs3.jpg
mgs4.jpg

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
I would have said that you got a counterfeit disc posed as a MGS3 game, but the pictures look like a real PS2 disc

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
You got a collectors item in your hands dude.

Keep it and you'll eventually be able to sell it on ebay for 1,000 dollars in 10 years time.

If you don't want to wait, I'd get it for the price you payed for it :)

Parallax Scroll said:
Yeah, you can see the Playstation logo on the data side of the disc. I don't know if that's easy to counterfeit or not.

Agreed. Disc looks legit. One other thing to check is to hold the disk under light and you should see the little PS logo in very light detail un the edges of the disk. Sometimes you can't see them unless they are right in the glare. I tried to snap some shots, but nothing good enough to show off.

Anyways, I don't know how it would really be worth alot, but it sure is funny.

Red Mercury said:
Agreed. Disc looks legit. One other thing to check is to hold the disk under light and you should see the little PS logo in very light detail un the edges of the disk. Sometimes you can't see them unless they are right in the glare. I tried to snap some shots, but nothing good enough to show off.

Thanks for the info. I just checked, and those PS logos are there as well.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Aren't all the PS2 discs for the US printed at the same place? Sounds like someone at the plant screwed up. Either way, you have a hell of a collector's item.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Video worked perfect for me, no audio (I don't know if it's supposed to have it).

It's great but one question, the hell is the particle shower going on the TV?

Red Mercury said:
Video is not working. It loads up and I get some soft static, and the WMP audio visualizer stuff. Encoded right?

I suck at video encoding. It's in whatever format the webcam software records in.

TekunoRobby said:
Video worked perfect for me, no audio (I don't know if it's supposed to have it).

It's great but one question, the hell is the particle shower going on the TV?

I was talking into a mic, but it didn't really pick up for whatever reason. The particle shower is from the Swap Magic boot disc. As I said earlier, the game won't actually boot on its own.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Video worked fine. Crazy mistake. I wouldn't sit on it if you hope to sell it for profit, though, as you can never guess how many copies have been effected(I guess most people would just return a disk that wouldn't boot up. How many have the same swap mod and would have been able to access NFL2k5?).

I'd personally keep it as a conversation piece. ;)

Jak140

Sounds pretty useless. I doubt you'd get more than $50 for it on Ebay, but people have paid more for much stupider things, so it's worth a shot. You're probably better off just returning it though, since apparently you need the mod to even boot it.

I've decided not to try ebaying it, since it needs a modded system to even play. If anyone wants to take it off my hands, speak up now before I return it to the store.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
It's not worth any money. This stuff has happened before, I remeber seeing a customer return a copy of Madden 2003 and telling me that Tekken Tag booted up instead. Had another guy who returned a GH version of Jak 1 and said that it was loading Rygar.

Mr Gump

Banned
I bought a copy of mario sunshine that ended up being seasons 1-3 of friends. Oh and the two towers extended edition was on there too.

Top Bottom