• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

Alienous

Those tapes.

I'm embarrassed for the voice actors and Foley artist's involved. God damn, good performances all around though.

Skull Face very specifically calls Snake 'Big Boss' (without making it sound silly, btw. Great job there). And he almost certainly isn't a returning character, as he seems to have been burnt since childhood. But he has a past with Snake. I think he hints at Big Boss not following orders (something about his hearing?) so he could be someone new from Big Boss' time in the Green Berets? Former commander? He seems very 'military', especially when he refers to Snake by his military rank.

I can't commend Kojima enough. MGSV just might top Snake Eater. Very excited.

Mr. RHC

So altogether, while I'm still salty about the way David Hayter was treated,

Sutherland is rather decent so far, I admit it!

The rescue scenes respectively Chico and Paz + motion capture are heartbreaking.

Ishida

Banned
I have absolutely no problem with Paz
dying the way she did, but the whole Chico raping Paz was completely unnecessary and I just feel like Kojima is doing it because ZOMG CONTROVERSIAL, pretty much like the backstory of the Beauty&Beast Corps in MGS4...
I know the story must turn darker for Big Boss to finally turn into the child-recruiting monster he was in the original games, but I believe this is TOO dark...

As a long time Metal Gear fan, I didn't like that plot twist at all.

cackhyena

dying the way she did, but the whole Chico raping Paz was completely unnecessary and I just feel like Kojima is doing it because ZOMG CONTROVERSIAL, pretty much like the backstory of the Beauty&Beast Corps in MGS4...
I know the story must turn darker for Big Boss to finally turn into the child-recruiting monster he was in the original games, but I believe this is TOO dark...

The beauty/beast backstory was controversial? I thought the interactions with them after you beat them was...not the backstory.

Erigu

dying the way she did
Vagina bomb though.

but the whole Chico raping Paz was completely unnecessary and I just feel like Kojima is doing it because ZOMG CONTROVERSIAL, pretty much like the backstory of the Beauty&Beast Corps in MGS4...
Makes me think of how some US comic books decided to "deal with mature issues" (i.e. suddenly throw tons of gratuitous dark stuff at their characters in the most juvenile and least subtle manner).

I disagree, someone burning down the world to take a swipe at the Patriots has been the plot in so many Metal Gear games. Solidus in MGS2, Ocelot in MGS4, Armstrong in MGR (at their remnants at least).

Hahaha. I guess you're right, I didn't even think of that. I guess it's interesting to me because I assumed without a doubt that XOF was an organization entirely concerned with destroying Big Boss to the point that he'd give in to Patriot demands, but the fact that he has a very personal grudge against Zero and Big Boss specifically is interesting to me at least. Just didn't see it coming you know.

Anyways, didn't really expect this either, but the fall of Mother Base doesn't really fuel that "all for revenge" feeling really at all. What happens in the tape though does. Also, I really hope
Chico is alive, maybe Ishmael. Would love to hear him explain his guilt. But maybe Kojima will be truly different and decide not to over make this explicitly obvious. In any case, if Chico just dies in the first mission of The Phantom Pain, I will be disappointed to say the least.

Peff

Those tapes.

I'm embarrassed for the voice actors and Foley artist's involved. God damn, good performances all around though.

Yeah, for as much as they're treading on VERY thin ice, those tapes manage sound eerily natural when it comes to the, uh, meat and potatoes. Skullface has the right hint of theatrics too, even if the dialogue can still be silly. Hopefully they handle the child soldier material well...

Ishida

Banned
Vagina bomb though.

Makes me think of how some US comic books decided to "deal with mature issues" (i.e. suddenly throw tons of gratuitous dark stuff at their characters in the most juvenile and least subtle manner).

Wait what? Is
"vagina bomb"
CONFIRMED? o_O

Erigu

if Chico just dies in the first mission of The Phantom Pain, I will be disappointed to say the least.
I'm a bit worried Kojima will try and pull a
"Chico = Punished Snake (= Decoy Octopus?)"
switcheroo...

Skull Face hints at some kind of connection between him and Big Boss, but the events of this game certainly seem to give Chico more of a reason to go against him.
And while Kojima's writing skills are what they are, would he really make Chico go through all this just to kill him in that explosion (by the way, "oh, we should also give him his tapes back, that should fuck him up something good! ... even if we're planning to kill Big Boss with those bombs in the next 24 hours and the kid should be right there and kick the bucket as well anyway" ... whah?), or to have Big Boss be the one who ultimately takes care of Skull Face?
Finally, I can't think of many candidates for the "him" in Kaz's "what about him?"... I know Kojima said he himself was the third man (and we know we can recruit him), but I doubt they'd handle a joke/Easter egg like that.

Wait what? Is
"vagina bomb"
CONFIRMED? o_O
The second bomb is said to be "in a place they'd never look" (cue wet sounds). I guess that leaves some room for speculation, but not all that much.

MormaPope

Banned
because people might stumble in here for a quick browse and accidentally get a load of spoilers

besides, the game isn't widely available either.

That's not how it works, someone accidentally clicking on this thread doesn't warrant spoiler tags for spoilers. When GTA V stuff was getting leaked me and others wanted house rules for what can be leaked, Duckroll said leak threads are leak threads so anything goes. Any spoilers having to do with Ground Zeroes shouldn't be spoiler tagged. Anything not having to do with Ground Zeroes should be spoiler tagged.

Not a issue at all really, but its extremely silly to spoiler tag stuff in a thread like this.

doofy102

I accidentally stumbled into this thread and onto this page, and out of curiosity I listened to a tape of Pacifica Ocean sounding sad and I have no context for what's going on at all but that shit disturbed me.

I'm out.

rvy

Banned
Do ya'll realize how much shit Kojima is gonna get from the gaming press once the tapes become more widespread? I don't think you do.
They haven't bothered to check the tapes yet, but we'll be in for a fun ride once they do.

Do ya'll realize how much shit Kojima is gonna get from the gaming press once the tapes become more widespread? I don't think you do.
They haven't bothered to check the tapes yet, but we'll be in for a fun ride once they do.

eh, it's in audio form Kojima will be fine.

RK9039

Omg. That tape was hard to listen to.

Good job Kojima. It appears he has accomplished in making the story really dark. So hyped for this game.

MormaPope

Banned
eh, it's in audio form Kojima will be fine.

Doesn't matter, the shitquake that'll happen will be gigantic. Nine years ago GTA San Andreas' rating got moved up to a "A/AO" rating in the United States just for having sex minigame code on the disc.

Once the game is out in the wild and people find these tapes expect tons of outcry. A 13 year old boy raping a 25 year old woman will cause mountains of discourse.

they did mention rape and the shirt ripping sounds

Didn't know that. As long as the ESRB doesn't find the content to be too malicious the actual distribution of Ground Zeroes will be fine.

Doesn't matter, the shitquake that'll happen will be gigantic. Nine years ago GTA San Andreas' rating got moved up to a "A/AO" rating in the United States just for having sex minigame code on the disc.

Once the game is out in the wild and people find these tapes expect tons of outcry. A 13 year old boy raping a 25 year old woman will cause mountains of discourse.

yeah Hot Coffee caused controversy cause you could actually see it(in all the fully clothed bad graphical glory) If it was a phone sex minigame no would've cared.

This can easily fly the under the radar as audio and implications aren't as easily exploitable for people to blow up into a huge controversy,

doofy102

Ending sounds like a disappointment to me... because it actually sounds somewhat normal?

Anyway, way to shit all over your previous game Kojima. I'll probably never play Peace Walker again.

Those tapes sound like a bad hentai: plot, dialogue and everything.

"Like a fruit." yep.

Daemul

Holy shit, the Chico tapes are disturbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSKH_N9JLzk#t=1887

Well, it was a fun run guys, I'm out.

jerry-seinfield-getting-up.gif

SkylineRKR

Yeah the second bomb is obviously
located inside her pussy. She wants to tell it when she jumps out, saying there is a second one inside my.... I had the idea she wanted to say 'vagina'.

As for Skully,

In the tapes he does state he and BB go a long way back, but he knows him as Big Boss. Which probably means he came to know BB after Snake Eater and after Cipher was formed. He's been credited as a Ghost without a Past, which probably means there is no initial backstory on him but things will get uncovered during the game. I think he's new, rather than someone like Volgin who knows him as Snake and should be dead and is partaking in his illusions.

doofy102

Well, he has a lot of practice in that area.

I'm actually older/smarter enough now to feel the pain. Man. So glad I was a young fanboy when MGS4 hit.

I remember how Chico having a crush on Paz was just a throwaway line in a Peace Walker tape - part of a running gag, that everybody on mother base was crazy over Paz lol. And now Kojima has taken that one innocent plot detail and corrupted it beyond measure. It was effective I guess. :/

Erigu

As for Skully,
In the tapes he does state he and BB go a long way back, but he knows him as Big Boss. Which probably means he came to know BB after Snake Eater and after Cipher was formed. He's been credited as a Ghost without a Past, which probably means there is no initial backstory on him but things will get uncovered during the game. I think he's new, rather than someone like Volgin who knows him as Snake and should be dead and is partaking in his illusions.
Agreed.
And with that thing about "XOF" and "two phantoms being born from FOX", I'm thinking that might be how they know each other (... which is quite reminiscent of Python, actually, but that never happened, right, Kojima?).

okay i remember some people getting upset when they heard the esrb description and assumed it would be Quiet's backstory and getting grossed out.

this is like ten times worse.

Amentallica

Unconfirmed Member
Those tapes.

Skull Face very specifically calls Snake 'Big Boss' (without making it sound silly, btw. Great job there). And he almost certainly isn't a returning character, as he seems to have been burnt since childhood. But he has a past with Snake. I think he hints at Big Boss not following orders (something about his hearing?) so he could be someone new from Big Boss' time in the Green Berets? Former commander? He seems very 'military', especially when he refers to Snake by his military rank.

I can't commend Kojima enough. MGSV just might top Snake Eater. Very excited.

Was Volgin's face not already messed up since childhood? I don't remember. I'd like for Skull Face to be Volgin, I thoroughly enjoyed his character in MGS3.

okay i remember some people getting upset when they heard the esrb description and assumed it would be Quiet's backstory and getting grossed out.

this is like ten times worse.

Its pretty messed up. Ill give kojima props for pushing limits if anything else because thats some dark, DARK shuff.

Also Its amazing sexy naked sniper lady will be in the same game as THAT. MGSV swings hard.

Just finished the Ground Zeroes mission on PS3 and man I'm so blown away by Fox Engine. It looks so freaking spectacular in so many ways. The framerate takes a pretty big hit many times sure, but it's still very playable. A bit like The Last of Us in that regard which I personally think runs great in most scenarios. With bigger encounters being a complete hog. What else? The sound design. MMM! Makes the rain effects really come to life. One thing regarding gameplay that could be better is Snake's movement. Feels a bit stiff at times. He doesn't respond the way you'd like when you want to sneak all the time.

So far I'm very impressed and I cannot wait to see what The Phantom Pain will bring to the table. Ground Zeroes nailed everything. Sutherland did a great job here.

SkylineRKR

.... What did I just listen to? Chico is broken permanently. Is it me or did he get tortured in TPP trailer? I'm going to throw up right now.

Fox News will have a field day with this.

I don't think he was tortured in the TTP trailer, but rather put to sleep.

RK9039

.... What did I just listen to? Chico is broken permanently. Is it me or did he get tortured in TPP trailer? I'm going to throw up right now.

Fox News will have a field day with this.

Chico doesn't get tortured in TPP trailer. Snake just restrains him in the cage.

Spaghetti

That's not how it works, someone accidentally clicking on this thread doesn't warrant spoiler tags for spoilers. When GTA V stuff was getting leaked me and others wanted house rules for what can be leaked, Duckroll said leak threads are leak threads so anything goes. Any spoilers having to do with Ground Zeroes shouldn't be spoiler tagged. Anything not having to do with Ground Zeroes should be spoiler tagged.

Not a issue at all really, but its extremely silly to spoiler tag stuff in a thread like this.
i know it's not how it works. i'm just being considerate for the meanwhile.

back on the subject of those tapes though, if the games media gets up in arms about them, do you think they'll mention at all that rape is used as a very real weapon in war? not to mention most likely used in 'black sites' like the one ground zeroes depicts until this very day?

that's the unfortunate logical fallacy of the games media getting annoyed at things like this. they're oblivious to the fact that this is actually happening and will focus on the game rather than the very real issue. even as a depiction of rape it's very restrained and unglamorous. not that rape itself is glamorous, just that a lot of media depictions show the very gruesome details and get very obsessed with showing the physical actions of rape, whereas ground zeroes rightly keeps itself in audio,and really leaves the worst and most disturbing parts vague and up to the horrors of the imagination.

Top Bottom