• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

Spaghetti

That wasn't a retcon though.

It's pretty silly that Otacon's dad and Snake's genetic dad ended having a relationship somewhat similar to Otacon and Snake. That's like 1 in a trillion odds. But, you know, poetry. Rhymes.
i'm willing to bet that shit goes sour in the phantom pain

i'm willing to bet that shit goes sour in the phantom pain

Of course it will. This whole thing has been the darth vader story of how Big Boss went from hero to villain.
-In MGS3 there was the scene where Snake didn't shake that guys hand and you can tell that hes really bitter and that he will become a villain.

-Then is portable ops he is betrayed by the US again and a bunch of his soldiers are arrested even after helping him. Again snake is really bitter and he even says the words "Outer Heaven"

-Then in peace walker he has another emotional scene with the creepy AI Boss and he's still really bitter and bummed.

Phantom Pain will really just take it up to 11 from this same concept where Kojima keeps showing the transformation of Big Boss but doesn't plan to make another game at the moment.

I'm really eager to see if Kojima is willing to retcon or remake metal gear 1 and 2 seeing as BB seems kind of one dimensional and it's just kind of weird to have such a key point in a story driven franchise be bound around an MSX game.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Alright, let's stop off the Chico discussion and speculate on something else for a bit. For example, do you guys think we'll get the stun knife back from Peace Walker? That shit was great in PW, it's kinda weird that BB carries a knife on his back in GZ but we can't use it as a weapon unless through a CQC stab.

Alright, let's stop off the Chico discussion and speculate on something else for a bit. For example, do you guys think we'll get the stun knife back from Peace Walker? That shit was great in PW, it's kinda weird that BB carries a knife on his back in GZ but we can't use it as a weapon unless through a CQC stab.

He had a Stun Taser in Peace Walker, MGS4 is where you had the Stun Knife. No reason to believe that he couldn't have gotten one from Mother Base's R&D Division way back in the mid 1970's, but I don't think they're gonna go with those crazy gadgets this time...

Jigolo

I have only played MGS4 and really have no intention in getting into the series (or story) but only an MGS game that's 1 1/2 hours long have a spoiler thread on GAF that's close to reaching 3000 posts.

Based kojima

It's mostly people wanting to get in on the ground floor of Chico = Quiet so they can say they were in the know when it actually turns out to be true.

foxtrot3d

Banned
Considering peace walker was my first MGS game, hearing that Heuy commited suicide because Otacon "was seduced by heuys second wife" in MGS 2 HD pissed me off to no end.

That's so weird for me to hear, I mean the game basically spoils the genius twist of MGS3 if you havent played it.

IMACOMPUTA

I haven't looked into it and this is just a dumb speculation point, but the Paz/Chico relationship has to mean something.
I think the Chico is Quiet stuff is really stupid.. But what if paz was pregnant from the rape.... They removed the baby and put the bomb in its place.

Who could babby be?

That's so weird for me to hear, I mean the game basically spoils the genius twist of MGS3 if you havent played it.

The "Genius Twist" of MGS3 was spoiled for people following the game before release 10 years ago, by the casting sheet leaks AND the game's own trailer at Leipzig Games Convention 2004 too.

I haven't looked into it and this is just a dumb speculation point, but the Paz/Chico relationship has to mean something.
I think the Chico is Quiet stuff is really stupid.. But what if paz was pregnant from the rape.... They removed the baby and put the bomb in its place.

Who could babby be?

Solidus Snake, Paz was so trusted by Zero she actually met him face to face, its no stretch that he'd let her carry the 3rd Snake child, the perfect clone.

please no one take me seriously

Who could babby be?

Babby don't form in matter of few day. Chica theory at least has one kind of base in logic (his guilt for talking, raping Paz, and the pressure to "become a man").

foxtrot3d

Banned
The "Genius Twist" of MGS3 was spoiled for people following the game before release 10 years ago, by the casting sheet leaks AND the game's own trailer at Leipzig Games Convention 2004 too.

I remember following all the trailers for MGS3's release and never remembered it being spoiled (link?), afterall we didn't know any of the characters or their role at the time so even if there is some footage of the ending doesnt mean we would understand it.

chogidogs

Who could babby be?

I don't like the idea that a 9 year old kid suddenly turns into a full grown woman with d cup size. But I don't know, it is Kojima after all.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

Who could babby be?

Pretty sure Paz wasn't at the base long enough for a baby to take enough shape to survive a cesarian-section, either by Skullface or Chico.

Sub_Level

I have only played MGS4 and really have no intention in getting into the series (or story) but only an MGS game that's 1 1/2 hours long have a spoiler thread on GAF that's close to reaching 3000 posts.

Based kojima

This story has been going on for a quarter of a century.

As far as videogames go, that's pretty much unmatched. Stuff like Zelda, Final Fantasy, and Ultima completely change tones and characters across installments, but here we are in the year 2014 still talking about a character called Big Boss and his organization called Outer Heaven.

Imm0rt4l

90ap8h.png

Spaghetti

If this is considered a spoiler, then the first 30 minutes of the actual game is one too.
kinda, when it's pretty much one of the two twists in the entire of mgs3... which was then spoiled in the following tgs trailer.

coming off the back of mgs2 backlash though i'm sure it was intentional to make sure the player knew fucking everything about the story off the trailers alone.

Holiday

Banned
Sorry if this has been hashed out, but has anyone explained why Big Boss is back to being called Snake?
I loved the PW scene where he ditches the headband.

Sorry if this has been hashed out, but has anyone explained why Big Boss is back to being called Snake?

Doesn't seem like it. There's even new recorded dialogue of Paz reporting on the "Call me Big Boss" scene to Cipher, so Kojima remembers. It's weird.

Mellahan

Concerned about dinosaur erection.
Just out of curiosity... has anyone ripped the texture files from the 360 version to get a better look at the medic's face?

Retconned so that Kojima could make the final final final transition of "Snake" to "Big Boss". He made an interview recently basically saying MGSV is the game that finally shows players how "the legendary hero, Snake, turns into the villain to threaten the world, Big Boss". It seems Kojima thinks he should only be known as Big Boss when he has actually turned evil, probably something to do with "Snakes" being the only viable protagonists of the series (Raiden kinda counts). It is too bad, because I also really liked when he finally became BIG BOSS. Oh well, just another retcon. Him only considering himself to be BIG BOSS when he has completely renounced the world is alright, just wish Kojima hadn't jumped the gun so to speak in Peace Walker. Like someone said earlier, it seems as though Peacewalker set up enough, like the end speech officially naming MSF as Outer Heaven and calling himself Big Boss, for Metal Gear 1 to logically follow. These set ups were vague enough that they could be retconned very easily, and they have been.

Holiday

Banned
Not as far as I know. And I wish they'd have reflected that in the game models.

Doesn't seem like it. There's even new recorded dialogue of Paz reporting on the "Call me Big Boss" scene to Cipher, so Kojima remembers. It's weird.

Ah gotcha. I'm wondering if it's because he rejects it again after Mother Base gets wiped out, since his dislike for Cipher will be extremely high. I hope not though, I want to see it embraced. Maybe that will come again with the turn to villain.

Retconned so that Kojima could make the final final final transition of "Snake" to "Big Boss". He made an interview recently basically saying MGSV is the game that finally shows players how "the legendary hero, Snake, turns into the villain to threaten the world, Big Boss". It seems Kojima thinks he should only be known as Big Boss when he has actually turned evil, probably something to do with "Snakes" being the only viable protagonists of the series (Raiden kinda counts). It is too bad, because I also really liked when he finally became BIG BOSS. Oh well, just another retcon. Him only considering himself to be BIG BOSS when he has completely renounced the world is alright, just wish Kojima hadn't jumped the gun so to speak in Peace Walker. Like someone said earlier, it seems as though Peacewalker set up enough, like the end speech officially naming MSF as Outer Heaven and calling himself Big Boss, for Metal Gear 1 to logically follow. These set ups were vague enough that they could be retconned very easily, and they have been.

Just saw this, thanks. Yeah I'm on the same page as you. Oh well, I hope it's even better when he finally embraces it.

Arklite

You guys are still running with speculations from 4chan? To put things in perspective, they also theorize that Kaz is in actuality the sunglasses themselves, not the man behind them.

Ah gotcha. I'm wondering if it's because he rejects it again after Mother Base gets wiped out, since his dislike for Cipher will be extremely high. I hope not though, I want to see it embraced. Maybe that will come again with the turn to villain.

Check out my post at the end of the last page. I added a link to the dialogue.

Sub_Level

At this juncture its pretty much impossible that Decoy Octopus wont be in Phantom Pain in at least some capacity. We just need Wolf and Raven now, and the reunion will be complete. Given the presence of Quiet and the Middle Eastern setting, a Wolf reference seems like a sure thing. As for Raven, didnt the MGS4 Database state that Raven worked with Ocelot at Outer Heaven?

Which means there are 4 Decoy Octopuses, who else in the series is Octopus?

Is everyone Octopus?

Yes /s
Probably should have included the rest of the post to go with the pics:
Anon said:
My money is on the dudes in the screenshots being Decoy Octopus minions/henchmen. Decoy is the leader of the Body Snatchers. There's a Big Boss doppelganger wandering around. Why else would Ocelot tell him that the whole world wants him dead, despite him begin in a coma for a decade? Someone's causing mayhem in his name.

Top Bottom