• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: Ground Zeroes - Spoilers Thread - #TeamBowie

Maybe the whole world wants him dead because they found out he's survived the coma...

Or didn't know he was alive anyway. What is this decoy octopus theory? I'm not sure I want to know. I wish we could go back to the good old days of the carnival of the stupid where Gaf made it's own stupid shit and tricked gullible journalists into thinking it was news.

Someone made a version 2 of that ridiculous Quiet=Chico pic.
JvVj9tS.jpg

Chico said he wants to be a hunter, he's Frank Jaeger.

But to be slightly serious for one moment, facial similarities mean jack and shit.
280px-MGS4JohnnyPP.png

foxtrot3d

Banned
Retconned so that Kojima could make the final final final transition of "Snake" to "Big Boss". He made an interview recently basically saying MGSV is the game that finally shows players how "the legendary hero, Snake, turns into the villain to threaten the world, Big Boss". It seems Kojima thinks he should only be known as Big Boss when he has actually turned evil, probably something to do with "Snakes" being the only viable protagonists of the series (Raiden kinda counts). It is too bad, because I also really liked when he finally became BIG BOSS. Oh well, just another retcon. Him only considering himself to be BIG BOSS when he has completely renounced the world is alright, just wish Kojima hadn't jumped the gun so to speak in Peace Walker. Like someone said earlier, it seems as though Peacewalker set up enough, like the end speech officially naming MSF as Outer Heaven and calling himself Big Boss, for Metal Gear 1 to logically follow. These set ups were vague enough that they could be retconned very easily, and they have been.

See I'm not too bothered by the name switches because a person can have several names I just want at least some people to call him Big Boss or Boss, and in both PW and in GZ they do. In PW he was annoyed when people called him Boss and finally accepted the title in the end, in the brief tapes and scenes in GZ soldiers call him "Boss" and he's fine with it which is good.

EDIT:

Sorry for the double post.

Someone made a version 2 of that ridiculous Quiet=Chico pic.

Woah, that part in the left middle-ish where they put Chico's face over Quiet is crazy. Seriously looks like the same person. WTF. This works too well with what Kojima has said about Quiet and TPP's themes in general, and adds a needed "hidden twist" to Ground Zeroes.

Edit: Just too bad the image kind of discredits itself by making a point about a Japanese voice actress playing a kid. It literally gives no evidence on either side and doesn't warrant being brought up because it's a very common practice for female VAs to play kids.

npa189

While this theory is extremely entertaining, Chico can't be quiet, that is insane even for Kojima standards. He can't be Grey Fox either if Portable Ops is still canon. I buy the theory of him being on Volgin's fire-unicorn. He could be the 3rd body in the operating room, but I think it is the medic/ishmael. GZ and this thread have awoken my crazy Metal Gear obsession, damn it is going to be a long wait.

Why do people keep glossing over him being crippled in gz.

That would be too obvious, you're falling for Kojima's ruse.
I noticed that as well. I don't think that it is true, but I find it funny.

Ideas:
Synthetic legs

Or

Raiden's non-combat synthetic legs from when he was violently murdered by someone after traveling back in time.

Or

It was an illusion. Ground Zeroes was actually a VR simulation and the creators didn't want the subject to see the truth behind what happened at the camp with Chico

Or

Quiet is an illusion spell cast by Codetalker who is actually Chico who suffers from accelerated aging.

Or

The first bit of the Phantom Pain trailer in the hospital where we can't walk/have trouble walking is us actually playing as Chico who got surgery to look like Snake

Or

Chico is Psycho Mantis

While this theory is extremely entertaining, Chico can't be quiet, that is insane even for Kojima standards. He can't be Grey Fox either if Portable Ops is still canon. I buy the theory of him being on Volgin's fire-unicorn. He could be the 3rd body in the operating room, but I think it is the medic/ishmael. GZ and this thread have awoken my crazy Metal Gear obsession, damn it is going to be a long wait.

The guy on the unicorn is the little mantis looking character, which is honestly the only person that could be Chico because he doesn't need to use his legs. More likely: he's dead.

Trike

Why does the Chico = Quiet theories always post the "I wanna be a hunter" quote from PW? It was a Monster Hunter thing.

sjay1994

That's so weird for me to hear, I mean the game basically spoils the genius twist of MGS3 if you havent played it.

Yeah, it robbed a lot of the impact of MGS3 for me.

Basically I played MGS like this

Peace Walker (loved it so much, that I bought MGS1 on my PSP and played that)

Then got the legacy collection for vita and played 2 and 3

Then played MGS4

And being fair, since I was so late to Metal Gear, a lot of the twists and great moments were spoiled for me.

How to beat pyscho mantis, the end fight, killing the boss, Raiden being the main character of MGS2, being Big Boss in MGS3.

I still fucking enjoyed these games.

Thankfully I wont be spoiled with Phantom Pain, and can experience it fresh.

tino

Banned
If Kojima can pull off this master troll, then hat off to him.

Its a good plot twist too.

In fact I think he should put this in the game now even if it wasn't in the original script lulz.

Chico talks a lot about his compas.

Compas sounds like compass.

You use a compass to find your direction, or re-orient yourself.

Mei Ling is Chinese, or as some might say, ORIENTAL.

GOTCHA NOW, KOJIMA.

Mei ling designed the Soliton Radar, yet in Peace Walker it can be developed in Mother Base, therefore Mei Ling must have been living there when she was young.

pa22word

Portable ops is barely canon at this point. Pretty sure even kojima has came out and said he thinks of it more as a spin off than a main mgs game. Plus, given how retcon heavy kojima can be with games he actually wrote and directed, i'd say that shooting something down on the basis it might be canon because a game that basically isn't even canon anymore is kinda silly. I mean ffs the game isn't mentioned anywhere in the legacy collection artbook, was referred to as crap that you should forget about in peace walker, is missing from the series main website's list of metal gear titles, and is basically considered a spin-off by the man who both writes and directs the games.

Peace Walker's a fun game, but not much of a Metal Gear Solid.

You'll certainly want to watch what happens, so watching that is advisable if you don't care for playing it.

That's all I wanted to hear. Thanks, going to watch this! Will probably play it when the Ultra Mega Saga Edition releases on PS4 which include all games lol.

Sorry if this has been hashed out, but has anyone explained why Big Boss is back to being called Snake?
I loved the PW scene where he ditches the headband.

Watching Peace Walker's true ending,
Snake is still wearing the bandana in the cutscenes even though he removed it before that and had the whole "Call me Big Boss" debacle.

Holykael1

Banned
It's funny, while playing these prequel games Im always asking in the back of my mind. "Is he evil yet?" "Are we there yet?".
I thought MGS3 was enough to make him Big Boss, but then PO happened and he was supposed to turn evil then, but then Peace Walker happened and he was supposed to be evil then.. LOL Im just kidding, I actually enjoy the slow progression.

SJRB

Gold Member
You guys are still running with speculations from 4chan? To put things in perspective, they also theorize that Kaz is in actuality the sunglasses themselves, not the man behind them.

Makes sense, he doesn't recognize Snake in Afghanistan until Snake puts the glasses on his face.

100x more likely than Chico = Quiet = time-traveling Decoy Octopus = Solidus.

It's surprising how many people seemed to have missed the memo about the crazy Psycho Mantis looking kid being confirmed as such by Kojima himself a while ago. You can choose not to believe him, but he did say it.

Top Bottom