• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: THE PHANTOM PAIN - E3 2014 Trailer (jp) [up: English]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
Imagine if Kojima pulls what he did with MGS2 and instead of Big Boss we play as some other character....

Please don't do that Kojima.

Whoa new page... Here's the trailer for those that might be looking....

The Phanton Pain

UrbanRats

I liked the bloodied face and the Rex shot at the end.
The rest of the trailer i'm lukewarm towards.

Also, was Quiet flying over those dudes' faces? I know she was meant to jump/stomp on them, but it looked so floaty, lol.

I give it 5 shameful words out of 10 regretful deeds, so far.

DrKelpo

Banned
Coming in 1984...the game takes place the same year.
Sooo... We are now in 2014 and the game releases the same year as well (??)

Certainly looks like he's closing the loop, BB's going to be a sociopath by the time the credits roll. Nice.

If Kojima really sticks to his guns and does this, regardless of anything else I will be a happy man.

The one thing I fear is Kojima pussing out and justifying Big Boss's actions by using the Patriots as an excuse.

valkyre

The only logical date that can come out of 1984 is 19 august 2014. At least i cant think of something else.

And it certainly isnt just random in a kojima trailer. This 1984 certainly hints at the release date one way or another!

I still think the horn is going to end up being some kind of crystal or... I don't know, weird organic diamond thing (SYMBOLISM) that grows bigger as the game progresses. The shrapnel explanation is just too mundane.

Gekidami

Banned
Skull Face lost his left eye and he's with Big Boss? What the hell is going on? Did they team up to defeat Zero? I DON'T GET IT!
S8XAXUh.jpg

REX? How?

Lernaean

Banned
Imagine if Kojima pulls what he did with MGS2 and instead of Big Boss we play as some other character....

It would be...let's say not as awesome as playing as BB.
But then again i imagine the tears when people learn that the only way to play BB in MGSV is to buy the GZ mission and i grin.

Not gonna happen though, i wouldn't worry.

Don't do it.

You can save yourself. Don't play those games.

I'll fucking give you a basic rundown of the story in a non-insanity way just so you can get everything out of The Phantom Pain if you just don't fucking touch MGS4.

forreal. mgs 4 singlehandedly killed my love for this series. it's a game-changer

i will play this but i'm not even hyped sadly.

~~Hasan~~

The only logical date that can come out of 1984 is 19 august 2014. At least i cant think of something else.

And it certainly isnt just random in a kojima trailer. This 1984 certainly hints at the release date one way or another!

maybe.... well. when this game is taking place? if its 1983, doesn't that mean the game is coming in 1 year from now ?

Don't do it.

You can save yourself. Don't play those games.

I'll fucking give you a basic rundown of the story in a non-insanity way just so you can get everything out of The Phantom Pain if you just don't fucking touch MGS4.

I agree with this. MGS4 really drags the series down, it's pretty unfortunate. A playthrough is better without it

CpmPanda

Neo Member
That's Metal Gear Zeke! Rex was created by Hal "Otacon" Emmerich, my memory is rusty but Rex may have been inspired by some plans from Groznij Grad and possibly Zeke.

In other news, I hope this wasn't the red band because even though I am having some feels, I'm not having nearly AS much as Kojima made me believe I'd feel.

I want to go "HNNNNNGGGGG"

JimiNutz

Banned
This looks... Odd.
I am kind of interested though.
I have played MGS 1-3, will I be able to play this and it make sense or do I need to play some other entries in the series first (Peace Walker?)

Dis3ngag3d

Unconfirmed Member
It would be...let's say not as awesome as playing as BB.
But then again i imagine the tears when people learn that the only way to play BB in MGSV is to buy the GZ mission and i grin.

Not gonna happen though, i wouldn't worry.

Don't underestimate Kojima. He went pretty far to keep Raiden a secret right up until the release of MGS2 like putting Snake in place of Raiden in trailers and other preview stuff... The man was committed and who is to say that he isn't with this game?

daveo42

Banned
It takes place in 1984, I really think people are reading way too much into it

Is this whole 1984 biz about 30yr anniversary or something? I feel like I'm missing a reference outside of the year MGSV is going to take place.

Edit: I suppose MGS4 takes place this year too...but I'm guessing we won't see this game till 2015.

sub_o

I'm glad that the theme is about avenging comrades.

The game'd probably be more emotional roller coaster.

KiraXD

I still think the horn is going to end up being some kind of crystal or... I don't know, weird organic diamond thing (SYMBOLISM) that grows bigger as the game progresses. The shrapnel explanation is just too mundane.

Yup... its definitely Crystal/Diamond/Glass

iTm3c7cytufVQ.PNG

Actually...
iHIUvbcgQ4A9l.PNG

..... hmmmm
ib1DY0dI23tDZt.jpg

That could be closer to an explanation than metal shrapnel...

This looks... Odd.
I am kind of interested though.
I have played MGS 1-3, will I be able to play this and it make sense or do I need to play some other entries in the series first (Peace Walker?)

Peace Walker is kinda a must for The Phantom Pain, as it ties directly into it. It's definitely a weak game story wise, not as bad as MGS4, but it's pretty close in my eyes. I made a thread yesterday about it, but if you do play Peace Walker and dive into Ground Zeros expect some tonal whiplash.

You can skip MGS4.
Skip MGS4

Lernaean

Banned
Don't underestimate Kojima. He went pretty far to keep Raiden a secret right up until the release of MGS2 like putting Snake in place of Raiden in trailers and other preview stuff... The man was committed and who is to say that he isn't with this game?

I know, that's why i keep grinning XD

But i still don't think he will.

Psoelberg

I really like this new direction, with a "Emmanuel Lubezki" style of camera, movement, grittiness, realisme and psychological narrative.

This is probably the game Im most hyped for!

JimiNutz

Banned
Peace Walker is kinda a must for The Phantom Pain, as it ties directly into it. It's definitely a weak game story wise, not as bad as MGS4, but it's pretty close in my eyes. I made a thread yesterday about it, but if you do play Peace Walker and dive into Ground Zeros expect some tonal whiplash.

You can skip MGS4.
Skip MGS4

Could I maybe just read up on Peace Walker and the go into Ground Zeros?
Is Peace Walker a sequel to MGS3?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom