• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: THE PHANTOM PAIN - E3 2014 Trailer (jp) [up: English]

Status
Not open for further replies.

RangerBAD

Did people really need a YeeeeeeongYeeeeeeah video to realize those soldiers at the end holding Boss, and the one aiming at him from the heli, are Diamond Dog soldiers? Jesus...

He goes on for about 5-6 minutes just about Mother Base's design. It was asinine.

Palpable

He goes on for about 5-6 minutes just about Mother Base's design. It was asinine.

I have yet to watch it, but judging by the comments, this video tells us what we already know, or useless info. Mother Base's design can be customized by the player, and it clearly foreshadows Big Shell. What more is there to tell at this point?

RangerBAD

I have yet to watch it, but judging by the comments, this video tells us what we already know, or useless info. Mother Base's design can be customized by the player, and it clearly foreshadows Big Shell. What more is there to tell at this point?

I guess it summarizes theories and stuff about the trailer, but the people who care about that stuff are following threads like this and the like.

SIMILAR STRUCTURE
OFFSHORE
ORANGE

The Patriots are plagiarists.

Honestly, if you've watched the trailer a few times, read the forums and know the games, there's not much point watching that. I've only skipped through bits myself so maybe I'm missing some gems. I'm sure it's useful to some people if they've not seen discussions on Eli's jacket and that kind of thing already.

I really felt Yong was off base about Big Boss killing those children in the cage, it seemed obvious to me that it was a simple editing trick to make people believe that that's what happened and i'm surprised he didn't mention it.

RangerBAD

Did he say that :eek:

yeah I agree.

He also said the whole reason Quiet is half naked is because she's like The End and needs photosynthesis to have elite sniper skills. Ironically, The End only needed to expose his head to get light. Not to mention a lack of camouflage is a sniper's worst enemy.

Edit: I should say he theorized that or used someone's theory.

Salaadin

I really felt Yong was off base about Big Boss killing those children in the cage, it seemed obvious to me that it was a simple editing trick to make people believe that that's what happened and i'm surprised he didn't mention it.
I think so too. It's not as clear add he made it out to be

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Actually, about Skull Face... It could be that he is a prototype of a what will eventually end up being a Big Boss AI as in MGSIV, except for now they are going with a biological replica of sorts. It kind of makes sense.

Big Boss left FOX and created MSF. Cipher wanted Big Boss back and decided to have MSF to become their military deterrent, with Big Boss at the helm, but this didn't work out since BB rejected that.

So what if they created some sort of replacement of him, maybe a clone gone wrong, maybe something else entirely, but someone based on a synthesis of Big Boss. Skull Face apparently has "no past" and is referred to as a "phantom", and there's the "From FOX, two phantoms were born" thing. He also claims he has no choices, as if he was created for a specific purpose. Instead of being literally a clone, he looks like a dead body brought back to life.

He leads XOF, which is definitely run by Cipher, so it's a replacement of FOX. It appears that XOF is creating their own "Outer Heaven" and their own Metal Gear (or modified Zeke). So they are basically doing what Cipher wanted MSF to do. The problem for Cipher is that it seems that this replacement of Big Boss has the same desire to turn on them.

It's quite similar to MPO really, with Viper and Big Boss being two potential successors to The Boss. Those zombie-ninjas look like Skull Face too, so it's similar to the whole Gray Fox/Perfect soldier and Big Boss/ultimate commander thing.

He also said the whole reason Quiet is half naked is because she's like The End and needs photosynthesis to have elite sniper skills. Ironically, The End only needed to expose his head to get light. Not to mention a lack of camouflage is a sniper's worst enemy.

Edit: I should say he theorized that or used someone's theory.

The Quiet thing is weird, I thought the theory was that her body could camouflage itself, but that's looking a bit dubious with her also being in full uniform at some point.
All we have to go on is the weird black stuff disappearing from her eyes. It's still a good theory though, as she could do with some active camo if she is a sniper.

Ateron

I kinda liked the video, as usual, but he makes some weird assumptions here. He keeps using the "scarf and camo" to explain where certain scenes take place (like Eli fighting snake), yet, in the scene where Miller is rescued, he simply states that "snake must have removed the scarf" in order to support his theory.

Secondly he refers to BB being a monster, as Miller said in MG2. I always took that expression as a comment to BBs combat abilities (not to mention he had a cyborg body so was naturally stronger, faster and more experienced than Snake to boot), so yeah. He's a monster in the sense that if you try to fight head on with your fists, you gonna get smacked real hard.

Third, he makes the same assumption that Snake is shooting the kids in the cages, when he has no reason to, to me it seems a case of classic misdirection (the trailer is most likely cut to another scene and some people make the connection between both scenes as if they are continuous when they probably aren't at all). If I'm not mistaken Yong also aluded to the fact that BB was trying to kill Chico, by strangling him. That was pretty much deliberate decision to make us especulate that. He was, as seen, trying the opposite, save his and Chico's life cause he would alert the guards.

Fourth, he makes another case for BB being a monster in the fact that he killed 4 soldiers point blank, but managed to avoid the fact that they are acting like "zombies". He dispatched 3 of them and the fourth didn't even react, so he wasn't being himself. The reason for this is yet unknown, maybe Mantis has something to do with this, even though snake could have CQC'd them to hell and back, things are not so cut and dry.

And fifth, he further proceeds with BBs psyche analysis by attaching that massacre at the village to him. He's covered in blood, sure, but what makes us certain the he was the one who did it? And for what reason? He's covered in blood, and in the next scene he's on his knees, and seems to be in pain (that cliched pose screaming at the sky like he lost someone important and couldn't save them in time). If he was the killer of all those people, would he act like that?

There are many valid points in this video, but I don't exactly agree with everything he said. I think the truth, like always, will be somewhere in the middle. Kojima seems hell bent on making us think that BB is a total monster, but I just see a lot of misdirection.
May I eat crow when and if the time comes, but for now these trailers - although amazing- have done little in terms of making me see the "demon" he wants us to see. Practically every trailer in the MGS franchise was either touched up, changed cronologically or even straight up made up :
-mgs2 with snake fighting the harrier on the Bridge over the Hudson,

-the alusion of Time Paradoxes in mgs3 to make us think it had something to do with VR,

-snake even had a different voice in one of the trailers in PW if I'm not mistaken

-That face octocamo with young snake in MGS4 (we didn't know about face octocamo back then which made people assume that there were 2 snakes, or a huge ass time lapse in between Acts)

He's a master troll :)

Montresor

I haven't played any of the previous Metal Gears but I am pumped as hell about Phantom Pain. I have watched the three trailers multiple times and I'm floored.

I am going to start Ground Zeroes soon. I hope an anthology of MGS games comes out to PS4/XB1... Can someone let me know which of these concepts or names are new to Phantom Pain, and which of them come from previous games in the series? No need for an explanation on these terms - I get that being a newbie in this series there is going to be a wealth of knowledge that I am missing out on, but I would like to know what's new to the series and what's not.

Punished Snake
Venom Snake
Diamond Dogs
Cipher

RangerBAD

The Quiet thing is weird, I thought the theory was that her body could camouflage itself, but that's looking a bit dubious with her also being in full uniform at some point.
All we have to go on is the weird black stuff disappearing from her eyes. It's still a good theory though, as she could do with some active camo if she is a sniper.

My point is The End didn't have to be half naked to gather light and be capable, but active camo is a different theory that might be worthwhile. He didn't present that theory in his video.

Ateron

I haven't played any of the previous Metal Gears but I am pumped as hell about Phantom Pain. I have watched the three trailers multiple times and I'm floored.

I am going to start Ground Zeroes soon. I hope an anthology of MGS games comes out to PS4/XB1... Can someone let me know which of these concepts or names are new to Phantom Pain, and which of them come from previous games in the series? No need for an explanation on these terms - I get that being a newbie in this series there is going to be a wealth of knowledge that I am missing out on, but I would like to know what's new to the series and what's not.

Punished Snake
Venom Snake
Diamond Dogs
Cipher
Quiet
Eli (the youth denied his inheritance)
Codetalker (wise man denied his home land)

Kaz (visionary robbed of his future)
Emmerich (technocrat standing his ground)

I think these are new to TPP. Huey and Kaz go way back with BB -PW and PO respectively- even though I'm not so sure what is canon or not in PO nowadays. Kojima always dismisses it so I dunno

Palpable

Honestly, if you've watched the trailer a few times, read the forums and know the games, there's not much point watching that. I've only skipped through bits myself so maybe I'm missing some gems. I'm sure it's useful to some people if they've not seen discussions on Eli's jacket and that kind of thing already.

Yeah I should have figured it'd be a summarization. I'm heavily into MGS. That being said, I follow all the theories and read into every new bit of info as it comes to light, so I doubt there's anything Yeeeeeong could tell me new.

Its not as obvious as youre making it out to be.

But it really is. They're wearing the same uniforms as the guys clearly on Mother Base. So how was it difficult to make that connection? :/

My point is The End didn't have to be half naked to gather light and be capable, but active camo is a different theory that might be worthwhile. He didn't present that theory in his video.

Yeah i kind of drifted the way from the topic a bit. I remember it being covered a long time ago, I think someone did a picture of the end dressed as Quiet :lol. So was this guy the reason so many people were insisting he was killing Chico and the African kids? sheesh.

Yeah I should have figured it'd be a summarization. I'm heavily into MGS. That being said, I follow all the theories and read into every new bit of info as it comes to light, so I doubt there's anything Yeeeeeong could tell me new.

But it really is. They're wearing the same uniforms as the guys clearly on Mother Base. So how was it difficult to make that connection? :/

I doubt any random person just watching that trailer would jump to thinking those were BB's own men, the natural assumption would be that they are enemy soldiers, its only on a little closer inspection(the type of stuff we do) that you notice the truth.

I see nothing wrong with him pointing it out.

Salaadin

It was pretty obvious.

I don't have an eye for that kind of thing. To me, it's a basic olive green military uniform. I don't see anything that very clearly says that it's Diamond Dogs except for the yellow stripes that Yong pointed out.

hadn't noticed the Mother base layout being square/diamond shapes, presumably the motherbase app will have a diamond pattern instead of good old hexagons.

In PO/PW/idroid app, Mother Base is square-shaped when you first build it, then you can upgrade it to hexagonal struts.

Man, that guy reads way too much into little stuff... It's orange because weren't the previous MB's orange? And because orange contrasts against the blue ocean and sky?

Palpable

I doubt any random person just watching that trailer would jump to thinking those were BB's own men, the natural assumption would be that they are enemy soldiers, its only on a little closer inspection(the type of stuff we do) that you notice the truth.

I see nothing wrong with him pointing it out.

I don't have an eye for that kind of thing. To me, it's a basic olive green military uniform. I don't see anything that very clearly says that it's Diamond Dogs except for the yellow stripes that Yong pointed out.

Certainly nothing wrong with it, but I felt it was hard to miss since the trailer showed us his soldiers numerous times with those exact masks and those exact colors.

In PO/PW/idroid app, Mother Base is square-shaped when you first build it, then you can upgrade it to hexagonal struts.

Man, that guy reads way too much into little stuff... It's orange because weren't the previous MB's orange? And because orange contrasts against the blue ocean and sky?

That, and I'm sure it simply is foreshadowing Big Shell. Besides, it has been confirmed that we can choose our own Mother Base colors.

A little off-topic considering the discussion, but do you guys think that we'll get an idea of where Big Boss earned the nickname "Saladin?" Sniper Wolf, way-back in MGS, referred to him by this name, and considering that the game obviously has a huge section in Afghanistan, I would think we could learn who gave him that name initially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin

Also, here's a Wikipedia article on Saladin, who, if it's too long to read, was the first Sultan of Egypt, and led the Muslim opposition against the European Crusaders throughout Northern Africa.

Salaadin

A little off-topic considering the discussion, but do you guys think that we'll get an idea of where Big Boss earned the nickname "Saladin?" Sniper Wolf, way-back in MGS, referred to him by this name, and considering that the game obviously has a huge section in Afghanistan, I would think we could learn who gave him that name initially.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saladin

Also, here's a Wikipedia article on Saladin, who, if it's too long to read, was the first Sultan of Egypt, and led the Muslim opposition against the European Crusaders throughout Northern Africa.

I always just assumed that she referred to him as Saladin not because it's his nickname but because, in her mind, his reputation was equal to that of Saladin.

Edit: I'd love to see more of their relationship though.

I always just assumed that she referred to him as Saladin not because it's his nickname but because, in her mind, his reputation was equal to that of Saladin.

Never a more appropriate person to answer this question, hahaha! BUT, I'm still pretty sure that the nickname will actually be presented in some form-or-fashion in The Phantom Pain... Considering the region that Big Boss and Diamond Dogs will be working in, I can't imagine that Kojima would miss an opportunity to hearken-back to MGS for a neat meta-reference or whatever you want to call it.

MattyG

Banned
I'm pretty much positive that Psycho Mantis will be a villain in this after seeing this trailer. He was born in the late '60s- early '70s, so in '84 he would be about the age and size of the kid with the gas mask from the reveal trailer. I already knew that, but the shots in this trailer of the Diamond Dog soldier pulling out his knife with an erratic gesture and shaking his head as he fights Big Boss have me convinced. The second one is especially important, as he has the upper hand. His body language just doesn't make sense for someone about to stab their opponent. I think that the Diamond Dogs are going to turn on Big Boss (which I think we've already seen if I'm not mistaken), not out of their own free will, but because they're being controlled by Psycho Mantis.

Sorry if this has already been covered or if I got anything wrong in terms of canon.

That'd be pretty cool if the Afghans come to know him as Saladin because he's helping weaken the Soviet opposition in Afghanistan.

Agreed... I wonder if Codetalker (wise man denied his home land) has something to do with that... I would assume that he is a refugee of the conflict between the Soviets and the Mujahideen, and Big Boss (and, by extension, Diamond Dogs) is contracted by them after BB's extraction of Miller. I could see Big Boss insisting upon offering support and wet-work for the Mujahideen, and that could lead to the nickname, as you offered.

Palpable

Agreed... I wonder if Codetalker (wise man denied his home land) has something to do with that... I would assume that he is a refugee of the conflict between the Soviets and the Mujahideen, and Big Boss (and, by extension, Diamond Dogs) is contracted by them after BB's extraction of Miller. I could see Big Boss insisting upon offering support and wet-work for the Mujahideen, and that could lead to the nickname, as you offered.

Exactly. Reminds me of Rambo 3 where he was helping push out the Soviets from their region. That's certainly plausible, given the setting and year.

I'm pretty much positive that Psycho Mantis will be a villain in this after seeing this trailer. He was born in the late '60s- early '70s, so in '84 he would be about the age and size of the kid with the gas mask from the reveal trailer. I already knew that, but the shots in this trailer of the Diamond Dog soldier pulling out his knife with an erratic gesture and shaking his head as he fights Big Boss have me convinced. I think that the Diamond Dogs are going to turn on Big Boss, not out of their own free will, but because they're being controlled by Psycho Mantis.

Sorry if this has already been covered or if I got anything wrong in terms of canon.

But here's my only problem with this specific scenario of Psycho Mantis:

If we go by what we know, from Peace Walker and from Ground Zeroes, Big Boss is against CIPHER, and XOF (headed by Skull-Face) are against them as well. This is why I assume that the two of them are working together. So, my assumption is that we'll see the Big Boss/Skull-Face answer to the FOX unit, XOF, turn into FOXHOUND (literally, a hound that hunts foxes).

So, I'm wondering how that would work, if Skull-Face (and I assume Psycho Mantis is affiliated with him, judging by the trailer he appears in) would use his psychic powers to control Diamond Dog soldiers to attack Big Boss and company, and then WORK with BB?

I think we're missing something here. Especially considering that Psycho Mantis didn't officially join FOXHOUND until after Solid Snake completed his mission in Metal Gear 2. Frankly, I can't wait to see what happens, but I'm thinking Miller is the key here... I'm positive that, even in his quest for revenge, he realizes his mistake. But Big Boss doesn't, and that's where the rift comes from, if there is one, between him and Miller.

XOF Unit, I'm looking forward to your thoughts on the new trailer. I think I watched your other video.

But I don't get what's with all of the hating for YongYea. He's cheesy with his voice, and has some other weird quirks, but I appreciate his work. He seems to really love the franchise and commits a great deal of work to it. YongYea is part of the reason that the wait for MGSV is so entertaining.

Slowdive

Banned
Any idea if this title will release late this year? Or is 2015 more likely?

This gives me hope for an early 2015 release:

Metal_gear_solid_5_ground_zeroes.jpg

I really hope it doesn't slip into 2016 like some people have said, I doubt it.

MattyG

Banned
But here's my only problem with this specific scenario of Psycho Mantis:

If we go by what we know, from Peace Walker and from Ground Zeroes, Big Boss is against CIPHER, and XOF (headed by Skull-Face) are against them as well. This is why I assume that the two of them are working together. So, my assumption is that we'll see the Big Boss/Skull-Face answer to the FOX unit, XOF, turn into FOXHOUND (literally, a hound that hunts foxes).

So, I'm wondering how that would work, if Skull-Face (and I assume Psycho Mantis is affiliated with him, judging by the trailer he appears in) would use his psychic powers to control Diamond Dog soldiers to attack Big Boss and company, and then WORK with BB?

I think we're missing something here. Especially considering that Psycho Mantis didn't officially join FOXHOUND until after Solid Snake completed his mission in Metal Gear 2. Frankly, I can't wait to see what happens, but I'm thinking Miller is the key here... I'm positive that, even in his quest for revenge, he realizes his mistake. But Big Boss doesn't, and that's where the rift comes from, if there is one, between him and Miller.
Yup, I agree. There is definitely a key plot point that either hasn't been revealed or is being overlooked. I'm with you, I can't wait to see how this all will play out.

Right now, I'm most curious who these guys
are, and how they factor into everything. They're part of the whole category of "those who don't exist" in the E3 2013 trailer, but what does that mean? Are they just in Snake's head? Are they otherworldly beings? What is it Kojima?! Tell me!

Ateron

Sometimes I feel I'm on everybody's ignore list. I said the same thing an hour ago and no one responds to anything..(Not trying to be passive agressive against anyone though, just feels weird cause it's been happening for a few days.)

Exactly. Reminds me of Rambo 3 where he was helping push out the Soviets from their region. That's certainly plausible, given the setting and year.

Well yeah it does, I mean the soldiers in the TPP 2013 E3 video and the 2014 gameplay snippets apparently speak russian according to journos and they are wearing russian military uniforms with blue striped shirts underneath denoting they are possibly army and or navy/special forces(spetsnaz).

It would be interesting if that's where he gets his nickname from..

MAN This game man, THIS GAME.

Draper

I'm thinking those more fantastical characters will all be in his head. The mental stress of battle as well as the head trauma he incurred probably fucked him up pretty good. I'm guessing they'll make for some neat boss fights.

-Deimos

Sometimes I feel I'm on everybody's ignore list. I said the same thing an hour ago and no one responds to anything..(Not trying to be passive agressive against anyone though, just feels weird cause it's been happening for a few days.)

Did somebody say something?

I'm thinking those more fantastical characters will all be in his head. The mental stress of battle as well as the head trauma he incurred probably fucked him up pretty good. I'm guessing they'll make for some neat boss fights.

I think those proto cybernetic ninja guys are somehow related to the Perfect Soldier Project and Frank Jaeger, or if not just some form of cybernetics/cyborg research.

They seem to have numbers on their heads, the one closest in the frame seems to have 02 on his forehead.

Ateron

Did somebody say something?

lolol :)

"What was that noise??"

I have a question guys..Does Kojima consider PO canon or not? Cause I've been under the impression that he kinda dismisses it as canon, and since Gray Fox was introduced there, it's confusing. Will there be any chance that gets retconned and he appears in TPP or is it canon and they will build up from that story?

MattyG

Banned
I think those proto cybernetic ninja guys are somehow related to the Perfect Soldier Project and Frank Jaeger, or if not just some form of cybernetics/cyborg research.

They seem to have numbers on their heads, the one closest in the frame seems to have 02 on his forehead.
Yeah, he does. I never noticed that, good eye. Here's a better shot:

"What was that noise??"

I have a question guys..Does Kojima consider PO canon or not? Cause I've been under the impression that he kinda dismisses it as canon, and since Gray Fox was introduced there, it's confusing. Will there be any chance that gets retconned and he appears in TPP or is it canon and they will build up from that story?
I believe that he recognizes it as canon, but doesn't feel that it's very important. I'll have to try to find a source for that, but I think that's his stance on it.

JayEH

"What was that noise??"

He says it's canon but tries to pretend that it doesn't exist. Like Sly Stallone with Rocky 5. I believe he said in the interview with Keighley that the overall story is canon but the little details aren't.

Ateron

I believe that he recognizes it as canon, but doesn't feel that it's very important. I'll have to try to find a source for that, but I think that's his stance on it.

He says it's canon but tries to pretend that it doesn't exist. Like Sly Stallone with Rocky 5. I believe he said in the interview with Keighley that the overall story is canon but the little details aren't.

Thanks guys. So maybe there's a chance they retcon some of the details of Grey Fox's abilities. He was strong but still a normal human and they made him a lot more than that in PO, that's why I was wondering.

Squire

Banned
This gives me hope for an early 2015 release:

I really hope it doesn't slip into 2016 like some people have said, I doubt it.

They should be bringing the game to GamesCom and TGS. I think there's a good chance they give it a release date at one of those shows. Probably at TGS, during Sony's press conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom