• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MGSV: THE PHANTOM PAIN - E3 2014 Trailer (jp) [up: English]

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I've been playing the MGS series and am at Act 2 of MGS4.

I am really wanting to cancel my Destiny preorder to switch to this. On top of that, I like what I saw from MG:O and am anticipating that tactical MP gameplay for Phantom Pain.

I also really love the idea of an open, environmentally diverse world to explore.

Does anyone actually know how open world the game is supposed to be? I'm trying to catch up on reading information, but I'm trying my best not to read spoilers.

Thanks! Feels good to finally play this series after all the raving fans do. I've enjoyed it so far.

Betty

Banned
So, I've been playing the MGS series and am at Act 2 of MGS4.

I am really wanting to cancel my Destiny preorder to switch to this. On top of that, I like what I saw from MG:O and am anticipating that tactical MP gameplay for Phantom Pain.

I also really love the idea of an open, environmentally diverse world to explore.

Does anyone actually know how open world the game is supposed to be? I'm trying to catch up on reading information, but I'm trying my best not to read spoilers.

Like GreyOcelot says, keep that preorder, MGSV won't be out until 2015, plenty of time to prepare before then.

And it's supposed to be very open world. Vehicles, active day/time cycle that you can manipulate, real time weather, so much stuff. There was also a size chart comparing Phantom Pain's map size to the past games and it absolutely dwarfs every Metal Gear title that came before it.

MGSV_TPP_MAP_LRG.jpg

Haroldo

does anybody knows if that concept of "dynamic battlefield" will come back at phantom pain?

MGS4 introduced the idea but it felt quite scripted and wasn't even used in later acts...

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
does anybody knows if that concept of "dynamic battlefield" will come back at phantom pain?

MGS4 introduced the idea but it felt quite scripted and wasn't even used in later acts...

MGS4 was very much changed during development because it took too long to make. This game seems closer to the original intentions (Snake was supposed to be able to drive vehicles in MGS4, there was supposed to be a time of day cycle, etc.).

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
MGS4 was very much changed during development because it took too long to make. This game seems closer to the original intentions (Snake was supposed to be able to drive vehicles in MGS4, there was supposed to be a time of day cycle, etc.).

Kojima thought the PS3 is more powerful that's why he promised all this stuff.

Also, the first MGS4 trailer looked nothing like the final build.

Palpable

Funny how Hideo blamed it on hardware (PS3) limitations at the time when they're doing TPP for last gen too. More like engine limitations amirite?

Sn4ke_911

is there a reason the video keeps getting deleted.

I'd really like to see it.

This OP is terrible. The reason why those links got deleted is because the trailer got leaked before the official release but nobody wants to update the OP with a working link now.

Just search "MGSV E3 2014 trailer" on youtube. I would link you but i'm on my phone.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Kojima thought the PS3 is more powerful that's why he promised all this stuff.

Also, the first MGS4 trailer looked nothing like the final build.

It has really nothing to do with PS3 power, since TPP is coming out on PS3 too:p It has to do with poor planning or lack of resources. MGS4 is really bad, I'd be really happy if Kojima said it was a game in the MGS universe made by The Patriots to make people think that all those stories of Big Boss and SSS was all a big dumb viral marketing campaign by a company in the MGS universe.

Please Kojima, make MGS4 not cannon!:)

To me, the last real MGS was MGS3. PW will depend on TPP. MPO's story wasn't bad, just a bit unnecessary, more on the level of Ghost Babel. MGS4 is the worst. The original TGS 2005 trailer made me expect so much better from that game, and so did the one with Snake putting a gun in his mouth. It ended up being exceptionally silly, like a comedy.

So far TPP sounds a lot better story-wise, and so was GZ. The fulton balloon is too silly for such a core gameplay mechanic, but hopefully that's as far as it goes. The story sounds a lot better this time, but what made MGS3 so good was that it was a clean slate, there was very little to force the story to go in a particular direction.

on a side note, i have a feeling that the PS360 versions of this are going to be severely gimped. surely kojima will be looking to push the ps4 as much as possible, especially if it's true that GZ sold better on ps4 than ps3. i wouldn't even be surprised, especially given the 2015 release, if they divert resources to soley to PS4/XB1 and have bluepoint or someone port it for them

NYR94

It has really nothing to do with PS3 power, since TPP is coming out on PS3 too:p It has to do with poor planning or lack of resources. MGS4 is really bad, I'd be really happy if Kojima said it was a game in the MGS universe made by The Patriots to make people think that all those stories of Big Boss and SSS was all a big dumb viral marketing campaign by a company in the MGS universe.

Please Kojima, make MGS4 not cannon!:)

To me, the last real MGS was MGS3. PW will depend on TPP. MPO's story wasn't bad, just a bit unnecessary, more on the level of Ghost Babel. MGS4 is the worst. The original TGS 2005 trailer made me expect so much better from that game, and so did the one with Snake putting a gun in his mouth. It ended up being exceptionally silly, like a comedy.

So far TPP sounds a lot better story-wise, and so was GZ. The fulton balloon is too silly for such a core gameplay mechanic, but hopefully that's as far as it goes. The story sounds a lot better this time, but what made MGS3 so good was that it was a clean slate, there was very little to force the story to go in a particular direction.

Yeah, that's one of MGS3's strengths and the fact that Kojima felt compelled to tie up all those loose ends in the Solid Snake storyline made MGS4's story such a disappointment. And he probably saw it coming, too. I think that's why he went back and made a prequel in MGS3 before continuing Solid Snake's story with MGS4. He knew answering all the questions fans had after MGS2 was going to get ugly.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I think answering any question past MGS2 was not needed, except going back to explore Big Boss' past was not a bad idea at all.

But MGS2 itself is almost all dream-like, where you cannot know what is real or not, so it offered a clean slate for what would come after. Kojima should have gone in that direction, start something new from there. In a way MGS3 did more harm by bringing more stuff about The Patriots, even though Zero and Co. being Patriots seemed to have only started after MGS3 was finished.

I think the world of MGS4 was fine as shown in the original TGS2005 trailer, very dark and almost hopeless. I thought this game was going to be about an old Snake, on his own, his only link with the outside world being the small MGMKII and Otacon (and only when he is around). Anyone else would only be met on the battlefield. His codec wouldn't work at all anymore, or very rarely. And the whole game would be set in this region, where humans are no longer the main threat and where animalistic machines emerge in the strangest forms, machines on which Snake knows nothing about. And because of the similarities of Snake's suit and the enemies design, it looked like Snake and Otacon had nothing but stolen technology to rely on. He seems to be short on ammo too, having to rely on CQC and stealing weapons to get ahead, trying to save bullets. And he needs drugs to make it through the day.

I thought the story would show Snake going through similar events that Big Boss had; war torn landscapes, victims of war, orphans, monstrous enemies, etc., and that Snake might get a better understanding of BB as a result of that, maybe even be tempted to do the same he did and resort to extreme means to turn things around. Just the music and sounds made it feel like this was going to be a really serious MGS, more minimalist, more about the "scene", less about the details of the story and characters, more about a world of never ending conflicts.

Instead, you got Snake and Otacon with their own private jumbo jet, flying around with egg-cooking Sunny, teaming up with a cartoon list of characters.

That's why so far TPP sounds alot better, even if in no way as minimalist as MGS4 originally seemed to be, at least it sounds like Big Boss will be going through more interesting events.

I think answering any question past MGS2 was not needed, except going back to explore Big Boss' past was not a bad idea at all.

I kind of think of it like this:

Metal Gear Solid 2 is the player throwing the dog tags away.
Metal Gear Solid 4 is the player picking the dog tags up.
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is the player hanging them shits above Raiden's fireplace.

While one could certainly argue that MGS4 had its share of superfluous story elements, I'm not of the mindset that it shouldn't have existed. At the end of the day, it's a video game, and like the story or not, the gameplay is going to be (just about) any game's saving grace. I thought, to that point, it had some of the most sound mechanics in the series. Then again, I kind of take canon as it comes along and try not treat it as some sort of Bible that holds the story back from growing and being improved in later installments. Like, if there's something I'm not a fan of happening in the Metal Gear story, I just like to think Snake would say "Yeah, well... That was a pretty weird time in my life." After playing Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance's Snake Tales mode for the first time (many years ago), I kind of started to look at the story (in almost every game I've played since then) as "This is how Snake (or whoever the protagonist may be) is telling his story, not necessarily how everything went down." If that makes any sense? Probably doesn't, but that's just how I look at it!

TL;DR: DENIAL.

HIDEO_KOJIMA @HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN:
E3 gameplay demo received much better than expected. It was closed-door & video shooting wasn't allowed so it hasn't been revealed yet.

Wanna see?

TPP is free open world game, it's hard to give u a presentation. The more u get hands on, the more u get to know such freedom & amusement.

With that said, it's disadvantage to show it in limited time at the show unlike Linear game that can be presented like a movie preview.

Palpable

@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN: With that said, it's disadvantage to show it in limited time at the show unlike Linear game that can be presented like a movie preview.

Just release it as a 1080p/60 download file & I'll be happy.

Sn4ke_911

@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

I shall ask Tan if he's available Thursday to show off.

OH HELL YES!

valkyre

@HIDEO_KOJIMA_EN

I shall ask Tan if he's available Thursday to show off.

OH HELL YES!
LMAO

Seriously, is there a biggest dev troll out there compared to Kojima???

"I'll ask Tan if he is available"

I mean.... he clearly enjoys it to cocktease his fans to the death!

lol

MrS

Banned
Worst of all the quality is going to be a mess...

but i am not complaining. Show me something!
Why is the quality going to be a mess? If they show it during the Japanese broadcast they'll either replay it on the English language broadcast or get Tan to demonstrate it live. Can't wait to see it either way!

valkyre

Why is the quality going to be a mess? If they show it during the Japanese broadcast they'll either replay it on the English language broadcast or get Tan to demonstrate it live. Can't wait to see it either way!

Because so far most stream broadcast videos are not that clear when it comes to IQ. Sure they are perfectly view-able, but when the camera pans and there is lots of actions the IQ can get pretty rough. Regardless though, I cant wait as well.

Screaming Meat

Unconfirmed Member
You guys...

For a week or so it's been "show us the gameplay, Kojima! Show us the gameplay!" Now that he's likely showing it you're all "KojiPro? Man, why isn't he showing the gameplay like this or this?"

I'm not bitching. It's just funny to watch the sea change so quickly :)

BE EXCITE

Reknoc

So I guess the important question is: can we ROCKET PEACE with Big Boss's robo arm?

You guys...

For a week or so it's been "show us the gameplay, Kojima! Show us the gameplay!" Now that he's likely showing it you're all "KojiPro? Man, why isn't he showing the gameplay like this or this?"

I'm not bitching. It's just funny to watch the sea change so quickly :)

BE EXCITE

I know exactly what I want, Nintendo have spoiled me *rewatcheds xenoblade stuff*

cackhyena

But MGS2 itself is almost all dream-like, where you cannot know what is real or not, so it offered a clean slate for what would come after. Kojima should have gone in that direction, start something new from there. In a way MGS3 did more harm by bringing more stuff about The Patriots, even though Zero and Co. being Patriots seemed to have only started after MGS3 was finished.

I think the world of MGS4 was fine as shown in the original TGS2005 trailer, very dark and almost hopeless. I thought this game was going to be about an old Snake, on his own, his only link with the outside world being the small MGMKII and Otacon (and only when he is around). Anyone else would only be met on the battlefield. His codec wouldn't work at all anymore, or very rarely. And the whole game would be set in this region, where humans are no longer the main threat and where animalistic machines emerge in the strangest forms, machines on which Snake knows nothing about. And because of the similarities of Snake's suit and the enemies design, it looked like Snake and Otacon had nothing but stolen technology to rely on. He seems to be short on ammo too, having to rely on CQC and stealing weapons to get ahead, trying to save bullets. And he needs drugs to make it through the day.

I thought the story would show Snake going through similar events that Big Boss had; war torn landscapes, victims of war, orphans, monstrous enemies, etc., and that Snake might get a better understanding of BB as a result of that, maybe even be tempted to do the same he did and resort to extreme means to turn things around. Just the music and sounds made it feel like this was going to be a really serious MGS, more minimalist, more about the "scene", less about the details of the story and characters, more about a world of never ending conflicts.

Instead, you got Snake and Otacon with their own private jumbo jet, flying around with egg-cooking Sunny, teaming up with a cartoon list of characters.

That's why so far TPP sounds alot better, even if in no way as minimalist as MGS4 originally seemed to be, at least it sounds like Big Boss will be going through more interesting events.
Would have been so much better than the shit show we got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom