• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mic: Female 'Overwatch' player harassed for 16 minutes — uploads it all to YouTube

Anonymity.
Plain and simple. Without a face to the name, cowards believe they are invincible.
No. Stuff like Facebook and social media in general (and also stuff like YouTube during that brief period where Google was trying to force people to connect it to their Google+ accounts and display their real names and stuff. YouTube comments were in no way improved during that experiment) shoot a giant hole in this with people still acting the same way despite their names available for all to see, and I don't know why people keep saying it at this point. It's nothing to do with anonymity, but the complete lack of consequence regardless of whether their identity is known or not.

It's not even clever sexism. Sexism is wrong, but if you're gonna be a sexist asshole, at least be clever about it.

They sound like level one internet trolls. Like they're trying to parrot alt-right talking points but just failing at constructing a cohesive thought. Obviously I'm not condoning sexism of any form, but these guys are noobs at hate.

Does Overwatch ban these people regularly? Does it help? With the advent of twitch streaming there must be a lot of video evidence.

No. Stuff like Facebook and social media in general (and also stuff like YouTube during that brief period where Google was trying to force people to connect it to their Google+ accounts and display their real names and stuff. YouTube comments were in no way improved during that experiment) shoot a giant hole in this with people still acting the same way despite their names available for all to see, and I don't know why people keep saying it at this point. It's nothing to do with anonymity, but the complete lack of consequence regardless of whether their identity is known or not.

More people need to actually push for consequences around this shit. There are other people in these games, and if any of them are decent, they'll drop a report (assuming Overwatch has that).

I remember one time an old high school friend of my wife's sent us a message that someone was posting nude pictures of another friend on 4chan. Well, surprise, the shit bag was her current boyfriend (he was posting that he was dating her, "look at the tits I'm getting" and all that trash), so we messaged her and she called his family, friends, and his employer. Bet the perv won't do that again!

It's not on victims to step up because they're victims, it's on bystanders to actually push consequences to the offenders. Like you mention here, people post some vile shit all the time on Facebook and the like, and they don't care what happens only because nothing usually happens. You see someone throwing around racial slurs? Call their bosses/companies!

...I don't understand how anyone can think acting that way is ok? Or how they can see what they're doing as being 'cool'? I tend to play in groups with friends which means I don't see much of this unless from the enemies team. Have to admit stuff like this is why we're always grouped up.

Is there anything we can do here to help make sure these guys face consequences for this? Link Blizzard/OWTwitter the video more?

MogCakes

I hope she and others who see this type of shit continue to expose it in defiance of all the cries trying to silence them.

GLAMr

I'm sure it's already been brought up but I'd argue her video of a match on Numbani is worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CelLYxSzj7o

It's bad all the way through but shit goes from 100 to a fucking thousand around 6:40.
Ugh, I feel nauseous after hearing that.

I want to make a TV show were I team up with Terry Crews and Ronda Rousey, and we track down these types of internet tough guy and see of they want to call Terry a "n****r" to his face, or if they want to suggest Ronda go and make a sandwich... It would be like "To Catch a Predator" but with assholes pissing their pants on TV.

Pantz

Muting them would have been far easier than making a video and uploading it to youtube.

To me, this has nothing to do with being a woman. I've heard hundreds of 13 year olds far worse than that kid trying to harass me in online games. Sometimes it's funny, but if it's too annoying, it only takes 1 second to mute them.

I know women got it harder online, but she should have already muted that kid based on his voice and screaming long ago.

Muting a troll and talking over them in voice chat pisses them off more than anything.

Muting them would have been far easier than making a video and uploading it to youtube.

To me, this has nothing to do with being a woman. I've heard hundreds of 13 year olds far worse than that kid trying to harass me in online games. Sometimes it's funny, but if it's too annoying, it only takes 1 second to mute them.

I know women got it harder online, but she should have already muted that kid based on his voice and screaming long ago.

Muting a troll and talking over them in voice chat pisses them off more than anything.

I agree that this was pretty tame, compared to what I've heard in my days (before I simply stopped using voice chat completely unless it's with friends) Or maybe trolls got even less creative in the last 5 years?
Still, harassment is a real and ongoing problem in online gaming. But what to do? Stricter moderation?
For me better report functionality should be the top priority. I don't know if it's technically feasible, but would it be possible to record voice chat temporarily and only log it for review if a report has been filed? Then again, I doubt it's even legal.

Me personally I will continue to stay the fuck away from public voice chat.

I'm sure it's already been brought up but I'd argue her video of a match on Numbani is worse.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CelLYxSzj7o

It's bad all the way through but shit goes from 100 to a fucking thousand around 6:40.

Yep, that's more like the shitshow I remember. Should probably be the video in the OP.
Bunch of brain fart morons giggling like the idiots they are. If anytime you need proof that sexism thrives on lack of intelligence... this is the video to demonstrate.

Chinner

Banned
I know all gaming communities have their share of assholes, but Overwatch seems to have a higher ratio of these shits. The worst thing is that these people will actually being voting too.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
This sickens me. I don't play with voice chat anymore and I have no regrets.

I know all gaming communities have their share of assholes, but Overwatch seems to have a higher ratio of these shits.

These shit for brain types migrate to the most popular games, or as is mostly the case are being introduced to it right away as a new wave of younger generation of shit for brains is ready to take over for the older shits, with a burning desire to prove their cusping adulthood.

Which they interpret as being hyper masculine (in this case being whiny little idiots that think insults are a sign of superiority... having said that, the irony of me calling them idiots isn't lost on me)

...I don't understand how anyone can think acting that way is ok? Or how they can see what they're doing as being 'cool'? I tend to play in groups with friends which means I don't see much of this unless from the enemies team. Have to admit stuff like this is why we're always grouped up.

Is there anything we can do here to help make sure these guys face consequences for this? Link Blizzard/OWTwitter the video more?

Blizzard will be aware, but it can't hurt.

I don't know got easy it would be to implement some technology to have an automated service that identifies keywords and can ban etc, because it might be lacking context (recalling abuse etc) or inaccurate...

Also not sure why OW being a billion dollar franchise means it should be easy for them...for sake of argument lets say 1 million players on OW are sexist/racist etc, if they don't have any automated system in place then some element of Blizz staff have to check every incident...

And they would probably need to have 100s if not 1000s of people to do that...its not that they can't afford it, but they should at least inform people as to how the report system atm for example works and what the process is when Blizz receive one.

Romez

People need to start calling this shit out when it happens.

If you're on mic and someone's being a dickhead don't just sit in silence listening to it happen.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
What's your point in bringing some example of two girls arguing with each other when the topic is about women being verbally harassed by men?

Lots of posts in the thread about the OW community in general and its apparently higher than normal issue.

Desperate desire to deflect any discussion about women's issues.

NM, this is definitely it. I'm the guy on the mic in the OP.

Waji

When you have nothing to say, just talk.
Everybody knows that.

Aaaand these people have kids.
I work in a school and I understand why lots of kids get crazy.

If you're on mic and someone's being a dickhead don't just sit in silence listening to it happen.

This man. Like. How you can just sit by and listen to someone get treated like that is a fucking joke. You're just as bad at that point.

Guardians

Banned
Yuuuuuuuup this is why no voice chat in games is far and away better.

Maybe this is one reason why Nintendo still has no voice chat in their games. If this really is one reason, than I can understand now why Nintendo didn't want voice chat for their games!

Edit: Could you imagine how some people would react after they got hit by 3 blue shells in Mario Kart 8 Deluxe?

The reporting and actioning bans for this game on PS4 are non-existant.

Sony and Blizzard have a responsibility to women and people of other races that aren't white that face prejudice on games like this.

The fact that sexism like this is so common and there's so many racist abuse hurlers is shameful. Hell the fact that Sony doesn't even ban stupid ass names like 'GreedyJew' and shit like that just gets on my nerves.

SomTervo

Sony and Blizzard have a responsibility to women and people of other races that aren't white that face prejudice on games like this.

The fact that sexism like this is so common and there's so many racist abuse hurlers is shameful. Hell the fact that Sony doesn't even ban stupid ass names like 'GreedyJew' and shit like that just gets on my nerves.

Yeah totally.

If you go paintballing or Go Karting or racing and you scream abuse at people you will get thrown out. This is no different.

royox

Like that would solve anything. Report and mute is the best solution for all the party members.

Yeah, that's curious. Like as much as FromSoftware have slightly overzealous censoring in the Souls games (my friend calls himself Knight Solaire and nig gets ***), maybe that absolute policy is a good idea?

And here I was, trying to remember why I usually am scared of playing Overwatch. Without a group of friends, I dread ending in this kind of situation.

Like that would solve anything. Report and mute is the best solution for all the party members.
If one person speaks up, others can feel ok with voicing their discontent with the harasser. You can do all three: report, mute, and call out the harasser.

Honestly surprises me that in all my years playing multiplayer shooters, Overwatch has these problems the worst and most frequently.
Why?
Very popular game and little consequences for online multiplayer interactions so harassers can have a ball of a time trolling minorities and women. Did you think Overwatch was special compared to all the other online multiplayer games in terms of civility? It's not like Blizzard has implemented any special measures to help people in dealing with harassment, the've only worked against serial cheaters.

Wulfram

Honestly surprises me that in all my years playing multiplayer shooters, Overwatch has these problems the worst and most frequently.
Why?

I'd guess it might have more female players than most multiplayer shooters? Since its got a variety of well designed female characters

Cleve

Why?

There's multiple factors. Overwatch has a bigger and certainly a more diverse a fanbase than most other shooters. If you're an older PC player I was never used to this kind of BS back in the day, but that was also in the heyday of privately managed servers where being a disgusting shitheel got you a permanent ban from an admin(providing it was part of a reasonable community). There's really 0 reprecussion in most situations in overwatch, from other players not speaking up when it happens to blizzard(or any other developer really) not finding an effective way to crack down on this.

The pre-teen/teens of the youtube generation are pretty fucked up.

Based off what shows up on social media, it's not just the kids.

Top Bottom