• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: Overwatch cheaters are having a hard time.

5edjLC3JGJT5aR8Qb5KFQo-650-80.png

From PC Gamer:

As promised, Blizzard is fanning the hammer at Overwatch cheaters. In China alone, 1572 players have been named, shamed and shown the door. Western cheaters are faring no better. Judging by aggrieved posts on the forums of popular hack providers, Overwatch is proving difficult to fool.

Cheaters are being hit by serial bans even after buying new copies. "Got banned one day after the official release," one enemy of fair play recounts. "Thought I got detected for using RPM tools, because the game was crashing for it at that time.

"Bought the game again... didn't hack on it at all, just wanted to enjoy the game a bit. Two days later—banned again.

"Bought the game... again. But before doing that, I deleted Overwatch and launcher completely. Enjoyed it again without cheating only for a day."

On his fourth attempt, he purged his PC, changing hard drive IDs, MAC address, BiosDate and buying a VPN to throw Blizzard's anticheat off. It didn't work.

Frankly I'm ameized how Blizzard manages to detect cheaters trying to work their way back in. How does that work? Regardless, get fucked cheaters.

MrChom

Excuse me, I need to go and get the world's tiniest violin to play a tiny sad sad song for these people.

nortonff

Hi, I'm nortonff. I spend my life going into threads to say that I don't care about the topic of the thread. It's a really good use of my time.
As they should.
Scum....

DNAbro

I literally don't get the point of cheating. You gain nothing from it in this game, no rank or prestige.

Frankly I'm ameized how Blizzard manages to detect cheaters trying to work their way back in. How does that work? Regardless, get fucked cheaters.

Interesting. They likely use mobo/cpu to identify them.

MS does the same thing with the windows 10 upgrade. If you upgrade the mobo, you need to phone in for a new key. Pretty sure it's the mobo at least getting him flagged.

Acerac

Banned
Heard that Blizzard was "randomly" banning people earlier today, and this is what I expected. So fucking wonderful to see this, Blizz usually doesn't crack down on cheaters so quickly. I'm impressed.

Excuse me one second, LeBron, take it away!

vax5dSS.gif

Nice to see there's actual consequences for cheaters in an online shooter for once. Props to Blizzard for having a backbone and not being scared to upset these people. They may have paid for the game but it doesn't give them the right to ruin other peoples matches. Good riddance.

collige

Banned
Interesting. They likely use mobo/cpu to identify them.

MS does the same thing with the windows 10 upgrade. If you upgrade the mobo, you need to phone in for a new key. Pretty sure it's the mobo at least getting him flagged.

Wouldn't this totally fuck anyone who shares or sells their computer for the rest of time?

Mman235

I remember someone on GAF who hesitated in buying the game on PC because he was afraid of cheaters

Well, there you go

I remember a bunch of people in the beta cheating threads saying they'd get the console versions for "no cheating". Despite the fact that when it inevitably does happen it'll be far worse to deal with.

qelXdm4.gif

Anoregon

The flight plan I just filed with the agency list me, my men, Dr. Pavel here. But only one of you!
I literally don't get the point of cheating. You gain nothing from it in this game, no rank or prestige.

I was thinking the same thing. Like, what's the point?

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
I'm always happy about such news but also always afraid >_> I'll never cheat but I don't want to get it by a false positive..

Sulik2

On his fourth attempt, he purged his PC, changing hard drive IDs, MAC address, BiosDate and buying a VPN to throw Blizzard's anticheat off. It didn't work.

This is concerning, I'm all for anticheat, but I'm not sure what you are doing to block cheaters that would overcome this that doesn't involve lots of false positives or rootkits.

So their anti-cheat system sounds pretty good in theory, but the false positives are a huge concern considering we don't know what algorithms it is looking for.

Mattenth

Good. They deserve it for needlessly infringing on the fun of others just to stroke their childlike egos.

Can we talk about this for a minute?

Does a cheater really deserve a permanent lifelong ban? Should a 24-year-old still be banned from gaming ecosystems for mistakes they made while they were a teenager?

I'm glad that Blizzard is cracking down on cheating, but I'm also very skeptical of them banning someone purchasing a new copy on a new clean machine.

How are they detecting that person? What happens if Blizzard makes an error?

The MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. don't ban people for life for making simple mistakes. They suspend them.

Why are videogames so set on permanent bans?

Edit: Again, NOT DEFENDING CHEATERS... Just asking if a 13-year-old really should still be locked out of Blizzard's FPS titles when he's 23. It seems like their current policy reaches new level that are personally disconcerting.

Edit 2: Yes, it is a permanent ban. IGN article: Overwatch To Permanently Ban Cheaters On First Offence

SoulUnison

Banned

God, I hate this gif.

"-lations, you played yo-"

It's like the original creator of the gif had something he wanted to say, but it wasn't even worth putting all the effort into it.
Which is...a pretty good metaphor for responding to things with premade gifs, actually.

"On his fourth attempt, he purged his PC, changing hard drive IDs, MAC address, BiosDate and buying a VPN to throw Blizzard's anticheat off. It didn't work."

Next they will buy new CPUs + motherboards and the hardware market will enjoy a boom soon. = cheaters are useful at something.

WaterAstro

Excuse me one second, LeBron, take it away!

vax5dSS.gif

Nice to see there's actual consequences for cheaters in an online shooter for once. Props to Blizzard for having a backbone and not being scared to upset these people. They may have paid for the game but it doesn't give them the right to ruin other peoples matches. Good riddance.

But Lebron's a cheater!

Can we talk about this for a minute?

Does a cheater really deserve a permanent lifelong ban?

I'm glad that Blizzard is cracking down on cheating, but I'm also very skeptical of them banning someone purchasing a new copy on a new clean machine.

How are they detecting that person? What happens if Blizzard makes an error?

The MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. don't ban people for life for making simple mistakes. They suspend them.

Why are videogames so set on permanent bans?
There's nothing to suggest this is permanent. The game was just released. Maybe the serial bans only occur for a month or two.

It might be nice for Blizzard to clarify this publicly, but I'm not going to shed any tears if that's not a priority for them.

False positives are a potential problem, of course.

Top Bottom