• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: Overwatch cheaters are having a hard time.

I think this is too harsh. Merely by having the game be a full price game I think a ban of the copy of the game you own should be enough. Don't think that most people will be deterred from cheating if they risk losing the game they paid at least 40 dollars for?

The problem is cheaters ruin the experience for ALL the other players that spent $40-$60 for that game.

So ONE cheater ruins the experience for dozens or hundreds of other players, all of whom also spent $40-$60.

How is that fair?

It's not. Banned. Gone. Forever. Nuke from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Reminds me of the Kotaku article about the BF3 cheater who would spend around $300 on month on cheats and having to rebuy the game.

Keep up the good work Blizzard!

frontovik

Banned
A major killer for the longevity for multiplayer games, especially on PC, are cheaters. Nice to see that Blizzard is taking it very seriously.

nilbog21

Banned
Haha blizzard really taking esports very seriously now. Wish we had this blizzard back in the Broadway days

If valve had a first offense policy I would jump back into csgo immediately..

I think this is too harsh. Merely by having the game be a full price game I think a ban of the copy of the game you own should be enough. Don't think that most people will be deterred from cheating if they risk losing the game they paid at least 40 dollars for?

"too harsh"?? Really? :D Going to jail is too harsh, not being banned from playing a freaking game. That is far from too harsh, very far. You shouldn't be allowed to play any online game once you get caught cheating and that would only be just right. That's the price you pay for actively trying to ruin other people's fun.

Asd202

Good, Shit on them Blizzard.

No fuck them.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Let cheaters play with other cheaters. They bought your game after all. This way they're not hurting anyone.

Maximo

A defense force for cheaters? I understand permanent is harsh really harsh but they shouldn't cheat in the first place, it completely ruins communitys.

Nokterian

A defense force for cheaters? I understand permanent is harsh really harsh but they shouldn't cheat in the first place, it completely ruins communitys.

It's so funny i say perma ban every cheater everywhere in every goddamn game i don't care you don't play fair learn to live with it blowing your own money in your own face.

I thought so too but the guy got caught cheating once then the next three copies were to play it clean but was still banned. The article reads like he was attempting to cheat 4 times. He wants to go legit after the first time and was still banned.

Good. The person should never be able to play the game again IMO.

Frozone

Well shit.

Why can't people just learn how to play the game? Oh well, I guess he'll have to buy an entirely new computer with different CPU serial number, different Win10, etc.. Sorry, I'm not feeling sorry for them..

reckless

What if a cheater becomes reformed and understood his actions were wrong and wants to play the game legitly?

Then he can just after buying a new motherboard or whatever piece of hardware they are using for ID.

Really wish more companies did stuff like this, fuck cheaters ruining games.

Audioboxer

What if a cheater becomes reformed and understood his actions were wrong and wants to play the game legitly?

Tough. Also this sort of stance should encourage a cheater not to even think about it in the first place.

Think of those caught up to now the guinea pigs and considering your cheating ass lucky if you cheat and haven't bought Overwatch yet. (Not aimed at you)

Cheating in the PC MP scene isn't new. They've all had decades to learn to reform.

Dennis

Banned
On his fourth attempt, he purged his PC, changing hard drive IDs, MAC address, BiosDate and buying a VPN to throw Blizzard's anticheat off.

It didn't work.

I just can't stop laughing at this.

Blizzard razed this guys account, burned the remnants, and then sprayed the ground with radioactive salt so nothing can grow for a thousand years.

ApharmdX

Banned
I love this. Love it! Cheaters have ruined so many games. I figured that Blizzard would be hard on cheating because pre-launch they said it was one strike and you're out, right? It's fantastic to see them follow through with this.

The only two corner cases are:

1) Cheater was an insufferable little shit 13 year old, it's now 5 years later and he's matured a lot since then. Not getting a 2nd chance even years later is a little too harsh

2) Cheater has siblings in the same household who don't cheat. I shared a computer with my siblings as a kid and if one had cheated and gotten banned under these restrictions I would've been boned as well. Not sure what I would change for this corner case, though, since it's not really unique to Blizzard's strict implementation.

There is no cheater who really believes his actions are not "wrong" but they do it regardless. It's not like they suddenly discover they are being dicks to other people. Actions have consequences and that is a nice lesson you learn which will serve you well for a while. So no sorry, accept your consequences and try to not be a dick next time.

wait...WTF?
he have 21 VAC BAN and still playing CS:GO?

VAC bans only apply to VAC-protected servers and there are a lot of CS:GO servers that don't use those blacklists. I don't know if Valve would centralize control over their multiplayer servers the way Blizzard does with theirs.

RedAssedApe

Banned
Deserved. Hopefully that type of experience will make them more wary of trying to cheat in all future games they play and not just blizzard ones.

On that note...is there anyway to report people for trolling? For example placing teleporters near cliffs?

Tangeroo

People who cheat don't do so because they don't know that it's wrong. People who cheat do so because they feel that they are above the system and don't care about the other people that it affects (ie - see solo drivers who use the carpool lane). It's borderline sociopathic behavior.

I've never in my life met a reformed cheater because it's a fundamental part of their personality. The rules don't apply to them because they don't feel that it should. The only thing you can do is punish cheaters to a point that they can't/won't cheat again. For the gaming community, that ultimately leads to permabans because as we've seen time and time again, cheaters are willing to spend a lot of time and money if they can "beat" the system.

DigtialT

On his fourth attempt, he purged his PC, changing hard drive IDs, MAC address, BiosDate and buying a VPN to throw Blizzard's anticheat off. It didn't work.

How the hell is Blizzard doing this? He basically used a new PC in a new location and they still detected him.

Then he can bin his old PC and pay out all that money to buy a new system if it can detect by hardware. The hacker will have done it to themselves so they can pay the hefty re-entry price if they actually want to play.

You give them second chances and they're just gonna try something else hoping it doesn't get detected. That second chance SHOULD come at a hefty cost.

Really?

So a stupid 14-year-old should still be banned when he's 24?

Seems really harsh imo. I'm all for cracking down on bans. I'm all for requiring them to buy a new copy and pay a real financial penalty to rejoin the community.

But I think the current policy is the most extreme we've ever seen and warrants some serious discussion.

Why permanent and not a 1-year ban? You're suggesting that teenagers could be locked out of gaming ecosystems as an adult for mistakes they made as a kid.

If it stops other "stupid 14 year olds" because a friend was permanently banned. Good.

If it stops the singular "stupid 14 year old" from cheating at games in the future. Good.

You're acting a little like you're comparing being "locked out of a gaming ecosystem" like they are being denied an education.

geordiemp

the game already has aimbots and wallhacks built in

I assume this is PC only and console is free of this stuff ?

I read somewhere...

Its funny, you play on console and have to play with lots of 12 year olds.

Play on PC being more grown up, and you get lots of adults cheating like 12 year olds.

Made me laugh anyway, so true

packy34

Does a cheater really deserve a permanent lifelong ban?

Absolutely, yes. They ruin games for honest players. There needs to be harsh consequences or these people will never change. Let them play the sequel if they want to come back and play fairly.

I assume this is PC only and console is free of this stuff ?

It's a joke. 76's ultimate is an aimbot and Widow's ultimate is a wallhack.

Top Bottom