• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PC Gamer: Overwatch cheaters are having a hard time.

Mechazawa

This is concerning, I'm all for anticheat, but I'm not sure what you are doing to block cheaters that would overcome this that doesn't involve lots of false positives or rootkits.

IP address?

That's probably the absolute easiest way to check if a cheater got back in your game short term.

Edit: Missed the VPN part. Hmmm, now i'm curious too.

Nokterian

Yeah, they do. They can fuck off forever.

I'm glad to see stuff like this.

My point exatly and i shall not miss them in a heartbeat, you choose to cheat live with the consequences because you can't play fair and just want to ruin other people's fun..good to see blizzard going in with the banhammer like they do in all there games.

stufte

Can we talk about this for a minute?

Does a cheater really deserve a permanent lifelong ban?

I'm glad that Blizzard is cracking down on cheating, but I'm also very skeptical of them banning someone purchasing a new copy on a new clean machine.

How are they detecting that person? What happens if Blizzard makes an error?

The MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. don't ban people for life for making simple mistakes. They suspend them.

Why are videogames so set on permanent bans?

Yes they deserve a perma ban. Cheaters can absolutely destroy a game community, and in turn, the revenue of the developer. Taking a hard-line stance against it is the only way.

That's impressive dedication to being a cheating fuckhead.

Maybe he should have just used all that effort playing the game and getting better?

cakely

I'm glad that Blizzard is cracking down on cheating, but I'm also very skeptical of them banning someone purchasing a new copy on a new clean machine.

How are they detecting that person? What happens if Blizzard makes an error?

The MLB, NFL, NBA, etc. don't ban people for life for making simple mistakes. They suspend them.

Why are videogames so set on permanent bans?

Do we actually know that it's a permanent ban? The game's been out for only ten days.

EDIT: yep. It's a permaban.

What does this mean for Overwatch? If a player is found to be cheating—or using hacks, bots, or third-party software that provides any sort of unfair advantage—that player will be permanently banned from the game. Full stop.

Mattenth

My point exatly and i shall not miss them in a heartbeat, you choose to cheat live with the consequences because you can't play fair and just want to ruin other people's fun..good to see blizzard going in with the banhammer like they do in all there games.

Really?

So a stupid 14-year-old should still be banned when he's 24?

Seems really harsh imo. I'm all for cracking down on bans. I'm all for requiring them to buy a new copy and pay a real financial penalty to rejoin the community.

But I think the current policy is the most extreme we've ever seen and warrants some serious discussion.

Yes they deserve a perma ban. Cheaters can absolutely destroy a game community, and in turn, the revenue of the developer. Taking a hard-line stance against it is the only way.

Why permanent and not a 1-year ban? You're suggesting that teenagers could be locked out of gaming ecosystems as an adult for mistakes they made as a kid.

Sephzilla

On his fourth attempt, he purged his PC, changing hard drive IDs, MAC address, BiosDate and buying a VPN to throw Blizzard's anticheat off.

It didn't work.

5sECDwP.gif

Audioboxer

Fully agree. The only way it stops is painful experience and word of mouth getting out.

This is the line other devs should follow and hopefully we start to change the landscapes on PC MP gaming.

Only things that ever need reversed are false positives.

stufte

Really?

Seems really harsh imo. I'm all for cracking down on bans. I'm all for requiring them to buy a new copy and pay a real financial penalty to rejoin the community.

But I think the current policy is the most extreme we've ever seen and warrants some serious discussion.

Why permanent and not a 1-year ban? You're suggesting that teenagers could be locked out of gaming ecosystems as an adult for mistakes they made as a kid.

Maybe they shouldn't cheat. I have no sympathy for teenagers who try to ruin a gaming community by cheating, they don't deserve to play the game any more, even 10 years later.

Blizzard is taking their anti-cheat seriously. Which on one hand is great, but as has been mentioned: at what point is it going too far, or what if someone ends up in a false-positive situation or some wants to e-mail Blizzard support and ask for another chance?

Yes, a cheater moron fully deserves a permanent lifelong ban. I don't believe in cheaters redemption and you shouldn't too.

I was a teenager too once, didn't feel the need to cheat, same thing for all my friends. Why are you somehow trying to justify cheating with age? Young age doesn't make you stupid and irresponsible.

So when that 13-year-old is 23, you still think Blizzard shouldn't let him back in to their FPS titles?

Seems ridiculously harsh.

Using a new blizzard ID on a different computer? Sure they can come back.

Actions have consequences. The consequence of cheating is you have to spend a lot more money if you want to play the same game again.

Hip Hop

I mean, this is not a new concept, a lot of servers out there in different games give you a lifetime ban even if you buy a new copy.

Recurring cheaters is a problem, no matter the price of the game. We've seen this plenty of times. If it takes a blanket wide ban for anyone cheating, then so be it. I don't see it as a problem.

Only way to fight this stuff is to be harsh. You let the trust go the moment you cheated.

They'll take it as a learning experience.

Jin

Some dude bought the game 4 times? lmaoooooo

Do people do this as a challenge? Otherwise I can't understand why someone would buy a game four times just to cheat. You would think by the second or third time they would just play the damn game. Someone must have been paid to find a stable cheat for Overwatch.

Audioboxer

Blizzard is taking their anti-cheat seriously. Which on one hand is great, but as has been mentioned: at what point is it going too far, or what if someone ends up in a false-positive situation or some wants to e-mail Blizzard support and ask for another chance?

False positives can be looked into. Second chances? Nah. Learn once and the next Blizzard MP game or others if they follow with such a policy as Blizzard and you are never cheating again.

You don't just stumble into PC cheating applications, they require searching and being part of hacking/cheating communities. Joe Blogs isn't downloading a cheat off of NeoGAF.

Do people do this as a challenge? Otherwise I can't understand why someone would buy a game four times just to cheat. You would think by the second or third time they would just play the damn game. Someone must have been paid to find a stable cheat for Overwatch.
The last 3 times were to play it clean but he got banned no matter what he did to throw off his flag.

Mojoraisin

Really?

Yes. No one will care about this game by then anyway. Feel free to buy another game and hopefully you've learned your lesson. Strike down hard on cheaters. It's one of the reasons I left Pc multilayer gaming.

Love this.

Drencrom

On his fourth attempt, he purged his PC, changing hard drive IDs, MAC address, BiosDate and buying a VPN to throw Blizzard's anticheat off.

It didn't work.

How pathetic do you have to be to go through all this work just to cheat in some multiplayer game?

Did you read the OP? That's exactly what someone did and he was still banned.

No. I mean a COMPLETELY different computer. Different copy of windows, hardware, the works. Not a wiped one. Unless they're banning billing addresses (which would suck if several people have accounts at the same address), Blizzard has no way to stop someone from buying a new copy on a new computer using a new Blizz ID to play the game. And even then, PO boxes exist. That's not banned for life, that's just a very stiff financial hit for being stupid.

And if he's old enough that he used his own credit card and his own name and address and still didn't know better than to cheat, then I have zero sympathy.

Jin

How pathetic do you have to be to go through all this work just to cheat in some multiplayer game?

I thought so too but the guy got caught cheating once then the next three copies were to play it clean but was still banned. The article reads like he was attempting to cheat 4 times. He wants to go legit after the first time and was still banned.

Jarmel

Banned
He didn't change his PC, he did re-install windows and change a few of his hardware IDs but nothing as extensive as swapping PCs

If he's swapping hard drives and using new installations of Windows, he might as well have swapped his PC.

I think this is too harsh. Merely by having the game be a full price game I think a ban of the copy of the game you own should be enough. Don't think that most people will be deterred from cheating if they risk losing the game they paid at least 40 dollars for?

ErichWK

Does a cheater really deserve a permanent lifelong ban? Should a 24-year-old still be banned from gaming ecosystems for mistakes they made while they were a teenager?

I think they do deserve this.

False positives can be looked into. Second chances? Nah. Learn once and the next Blizzard MP game or others if they follow with such a policy as Blizzard and you are never cheating again.

You don't just stumble into PC cheating applications, they require searching and being part of hacking/cheating communities. Joe Blogs isn't downloading a cheat off of NeoGAF.
Actually, their official policy is that they will not entertain appeals or further investigate issued bans. False positives are permanent.

Hip Hop

I think this is too harsh. Merely by having the game be a full price game I think a ban of the copy of the game you own should be enough. Don't think that most people will be deterred from cheating if they risk losing the game they paid at least 40 dollars for?

The more wiggle room you give, the more weak your system against hackers becomes. You can't compromise that, especially for a game that relies on multiplayer. These people are the only ones that can tarnish the experience, this type of ban is very fair.

This is some great stuff, and I hope for more companies to do this.

I think it's fair to ban the account they cheated on, but if they get a new one and decide to keep it legit, it kinda sucks to ban that one too.

MUnited83

For you.

The thing about false positives is that Blizzard would have to believe that they can happen and actually be willing to cooperate and investigate properly. Many companies have a policy of banning people and not sharing any info whatsoever with the Customer. For many companies, you're effectively dead to them in that way. No appeals, no investigations. Wouldn't surprise me that Blizzard operates the same way, which really sucks if false positives is a thing.

Audioboxer

Actually, their official policy is that they will not entertain appeals or further investigate issued bans. False positives are permanent.

Must be confident in their system then. Until average joes get bans for running an antivirus nothing to worry about. Don't mod MP only games in anyway.

Stuff that can surprisingly happen like a set of nvidia drivers triggering bans or a harmless windows app will be met with huge spikes in bans and be easy for Blizzard to fix.

Trying to inject your own skins into the game and then claiming false positive is not a false positive.

yatesl

I don't really agree with the "Ban all alts / machine / HWID" or whatever Blizzard seems to be doing.

Cheaters are shit and ruin games, yes. But to ban new copies - bearing in mind this is a "full priced" PC game? That's a bit far.

You're already cutting down the chance of repeat offenders with the price tag vs F2P like TF2 or cheap entry like CS:Go.

Top Bottom