• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael B. Jordan, Jennifer Yuh Nelson to Remake ‘A Bittersweet Life’

Fox is taking a fresh start on A Bittersweet Life, with Michael B. Jordan attached to star and Jennifer Yuh Nelson to direct the action-thriller remake of the cult classic 2005 Korean film.

Jordan will play a mobster whose longtime loyalties to his crime family are challenged when his boss orders him to kill a mistress he’s recently grown close to. The filmmakers see this as a high-concept, character-driven genre film with franchise potential. 21 Laps’ Shawn Levy, Dan Levine and Dan Cohen are producing in conjunction with CJ Entertainment, the latter of which made the original film. Jason Young will oversee for Fox.

Nelson comes from animation; she got an Oscar nom for directing Kung Fu Panda 2, and she co-directed Kung Fu Panda 3. She made her live-action debut directing the sci-fi thriller The Darkest Minds for Fox and 21 Laps, based on the Alexandra Bracken bestselling YA trilogy. Jordan reteamed with Creed director Ryan Coogler in Marvel’s Black Panther and is starring with Michael Shannon in the Ramin Bahrai-directed Fahrenheit 451 for HBO. He’ll reprise in the Creed sequel, with Sylvester Stallone currently working on that script for MGM.

http://deadline.com/2017/08/michael...son-a-bittersweet-life-remake-fox-1202151471/

Random Human

They were trying to grab your prize. They work for the mercenary. The masked man.
Wow, literally yesterday I told someone I was surprised they hadn't done an American remake of this movie. It's so good.

Not sure how I feel about this though...

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
Maybe someone will do a home release of the original in the US now.

takoyaki

The original is fantastic, I hope they go the Infernal Affairs -> Departed route. I didn’t hate the Spike Lee version of Oldboy, it just felt rather pointless since it stuck so close to the original without adding anything interesting.

Sojgat

Maybe it will be good. Otherwise it will stand as a nice reminder of how Hollywood has squandered Lee Byung-hun.

lupinko

Should have just bought the glorious Korean Bluray that came out a few years ago like I did.

Yes, it has English subs and does work on US bluray players.

.la1n

Just get the Korean blu ray; plays in American players just fine. This was one of the first films, along with Sympathy for Mr Vengeance, that got me into Korean film. I like the talent behind it so I'll try to be optimistic. Anyone that hasn't seen the Korean film need to watch it.

The original is fantastic, I hope they go the Infernal Affairs -> Departed route. I didn't hate the Spike Lee version of Oldboy, it just felt rather pointless since it stuck so close to the original without adding anything interesting.

This is exactly how i felt about the Oldboy remake. To be fair to Spike Lee, the producers meddled and he didn't get final cut. Hence it not being a Spike Lee joint.

So from Kung Fu Panda to Bittersweet Life? I have very low expectations for this.

She's in the midst of directing a YA adaption of a sci fi thriller The Darkest Minds that comes out next year.

I've never seen or heard of the original so this is just another flick with B Jordan in it, which sparks my interest.

Wallace has come so far

- J - D -

Sure, why not. I remember watching the original but it's not one of my favorite K-thrillers. Loved the ambiguous(?) ending, though.

Nah, Spike Lee just lost "it."

He didn't write the screenplay and the film is still directed well. It was his last studio film till Chi-Raq. He's been a great documenatry director and will be directing all the episodes to his Netflix series She's gotta have it.

Now granted, I have no idea what the fuck he was thinking writing and directing Da Sweet Blood of Jesus. LOL It at least still has a lot of great shots in it.

Top Bottom