• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael B. Jordan & Michael Shannon set to star in "Fahrenheit 451" for HBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deepwater

I still have a copy of Fahrenheit 451 that I got from middle school english that I keep with me all the years after it. I feel like a piece of shit if I threw it away.

Definitely gonna catch this when it comes out too

Wag

Fahrenheit451B.jpg

The original movie is excellent. Worth a watch.

Toxi

Banned
So do they go with the censorship angle or do they go for the view of Bradbury when adapting the book?
As someone who read the book, I don't understand where the hell the censorship angle comes from, outside of possible discomfort with the reality that our society is on the same trajectory as the one in the story.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
As someone who read the book, I don't understand where the hell the censorship angle comes from, outside of possible discomfort with the reality that our society is on the same trajectory as the one in the story.

I hope those wall vidscreens are just giant iPads and the videos playing are people just Periscope streaming each other.

Would really raise some eyebrows.

Deepwater

You think Bradbury evolved his interpretation based on the context of society around him?

At first he's like "yeah this is definitely about state censorship" but then started to notice that it could also be commentary on society moving away from print media.

If he was alive today, he'd probably say it was about our addiction to hypothetical smart phones lmao

JCHandsom

Love the casting, love the book, Shannon is perfect for the role of Beatty. My only hope is that they tone down the Manic Pixie Dream Girl at the beginning of the story.

Toxi

Banned
You think Bradbury evolved his interpretation based on the context of society around him?

At first he's like "yeah this is definitely about state censorship" but then started to notice that it could also be commentary on society moving away from print media.

If he was alive today, he'd probably say it was about our addiction to hypothetical smart phones lmao
Bradbury has always said Fahrenheit 451 is about TV. The story is about society abandoning books and curiosity because of immediately gratifying and unchallenging entertainment.

Books were outlawed because people stopped reading them, not the other way around. The government of Fahrenheit 451 didn't create the dystopian society, it reflected it and preyed upon it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom