• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael B. Jordan & Michael Shannon set to star in "Fahrenheit 451" for HBO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Per THR:
The cabler is developing a TV adaptation of Ray Bradbury's classic Fahrenheit 451, The Hollywood Reporter has learned, with Michael B. Jordan and Michael Shannon attached to star. The project is inching toward a formal production commitment.

The drama is based on Bradbury's 1953 dystopian novel of the same name. The HBO pic depicts a future where media is an opiate, history is outlawed and "firemen" burn books and revolves around Montag, a young fireman who forsakes his world, battles his mentor and struggles to regain his humanity.

Jordan (Creed, Friday Night Lights) is set to star as Montag, while Shannon will return to HBO following Boardwalk Empire to play Beatty, Montag's fireman captain and mentor. The casting reunites Shannon with Fahrenheit co-writers Ramin Bahrani and Amir Naderi after he starred in their feature 99 Homes.

Bahrani (99 Homes) is set to co-write the script and direct the telepic via his Noruz Films banner. Naderi (99 Homes) is the other writer on the movie. Jordan will exec produce via his Outlier Productions. Sarah Green will serve in the same capacity via her Brace Cove Productions. Alan Gasmer and Peter Jaysen will also exec produce; with David Coastsworth set to produce. For Jordan, Fahrenheit 451 is outside of his overall film and TV deal with Skydance and comes as he continues to make a push on the producing side. He already has a TV project in development at Skydance as part of his overall deal with the indie studio.
The guys behind "99 Homes" are directing and writing as well.

EDIT: This is going to be a TV movie for HBO.

Not

Banned
Huh, it's a short enough book, but if they can Westworld it in a cool way a series might work

EDIT: Wait is it a TV movie?

Arc

Is this going to be a mini series (ie one season) or a full fledged HBO series?

Either way I'm hyped. Michael B Jordan is one of my favorites.

Not

Banned
Yeah. Huh. Not sure what I think about HBO airing mid-budget movies without a theatrical release.

Tagyhag

A younger Michael Shannon or Joaquin Phoenix are what I pictured when I read about Guy. Shannon will be great as Beatty though.

Thankfully, Michael B. is the perfect age for Guy and he's a hell of an actor.

kevin1025

Banned
Okay, now this could be super cool. One of my favorite books, and Michael Shannon, and Michael B. Jordan, and HBO (Films)? I'm very interested.

Cess007

Curious to see how they adapt this, and wondering which fate for Clarisse they will choose: The original or the revised one.

Oppo

hmm. i could see it working as an Amazon or Netflix series.

not sure how you address digital info. book is kinda old.

wish someone would do Wyndham's The Chrysalids instead. that sucker is ripe.
Childhood's End was botched.

Hazmat

This sounds like it could be pretty great. This was my first big-boy dystopian fiction and Jordan and Shannon are awesome.

I remember the 90's when HBO made badass original movies all the time.

Check out Citizen X with the fantastic Stephen Rea if you have HBO Now. Also, anyone else remember RKO 281? Great flick about the making of Citizen Kane.

Was 99 Homes any good? I keep passing on it.

I really enjoyed it and highly recommend it. Shannon was amazing as always and it turned me around on Andrew Garfield. The last 15 mins were a bit too contrived for me when compared to how real and raw some earlier scenes felt. Still well worth a watch though.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So do they go with the censorship angle or do they go for the view of Bradbury when adapting the book?

Was 99 Homes any good? I keep passing on it.

it was great. good look at the effect that the economic downturn has had on working class. Garfield and Shannon are fantastic in it.

so in for this. Shannon one of the best actors alive, source material and people behind it are awesome. Michael B Jordan is pretty good, its got some dope variables here.

Dude, I hope they don't fuck this shit up or water it down.
It's on HBO, so watering it down is out of the question.

What isn't, however, is whether or not reality has become stranger than fiction, because let's face it, a lot of what Bradbury was writing about are in the homes of every HBO subscriber. TV's the size of walls, ATMs, headphones, a disinterest in reading overall. So, my only question is, how are they going to treat this seemingly-fantastic dystopia that we're all actually living in.

eGtwUJE.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom