• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Michael Pachter says "PC Gamers are like Racists"

Status
Not open for further replies.

gai_shain

The comparison is grotesque, but not literal. He didn't say, "PC gamers ARE racists", he only compared many PC gamers' affinity to only the one platform to racism as a metaphor.

This guy deals with sales projections. He's only referring to players' tendency to diversify platforms.

Do we actually have numbers how many pc players have a console and how many console owners own consoles from different companies?

Alo0oy

Banned
Walk a mile in another man's shoes yourself, please. I wouldn't exactly be welcomed with open arms in Asia or the Middle East, either. Racism is bad everywhere, and most people worldwide are not "white."

Racism is alive in every part of the world, that's a fact. But it's significantly more common in Western countries, I've been to Asia, I've been to Africa, I've been to Latin America. It's only Europe and America where I'm looked at as subhuman (racism is still everywhere, but nowhere near as bad).

This has to be a joke post lmao.

Ironic that this person would post this around the time Sony and Microsoft are getting into a playground-tier pissing contest over who can have the stronger closed platform device that markets itself on increased graphical fidelity.

Ironic, I mean, because they're the ones encouraging their customers to engage in keyboard wars for products that are more or more centered around resolution and graphical effects, so yes they actually are responsible for the culture of gaming being obsessed with raw power and graphical oomph.

I have a PC as well as many Sony and MS devices and games. Nintendo, too, but they don't factor into this discussion a whole lot I don't figure.

Tagyhag

The comparison is grotesque, but not literal. He didn't say, "PC gamers ARE racists", he only compared many PC gamers' affinity to only the one platform to racism as a metaphor.

This guy deals with sales projections. He's only referring to players' tendency to diversify platforms.

He's still wrong. I bet more than half of the PC gamers here have another system.

It's hard to tell sometimes if that is indeed the case, or because it's a convenient way to backpedal on ignorant comments. Most of us game on multiple platforms and never felt the need to go out of our label ourselves. For someone to do so you can't help but feel it's deliberate involving hidden agendas.

You're not wrong, look at reddit's master race subreddit. Some people there treat it as a joke, while you can clearly tell others truly believe they are above everyone else.

small44

I agree,PC gamers always try to convince people to move completely to PC,never saw console fans doing that.

Armaros

I propose we call console fanboy wars the: Console Masterrace Kindergarten

It's like the PC Master Race, but with lower stakes, essentially arguing about which console is less worse compared to a PC.

GAF during the Ps4 and Xbox one reveals was so pleasant and completely not like what people criticize PCMR people of doing to consoles. /s

Manu

You know, there is a certain irony in being offended at what Patcher said, when he's just one guy with a stupid opinion, and then telling console players they shouldn't be offended by PC Master Race types because they're just a vocal minority.

LordRaptor

No, we're talking about the base quote, "PC gamers are like racists." Stupid analogy or not, he wasn't just talking about PS4 Pro here, nor did he say it quite like you.

Holy shit dude, read the OP that is almost the verbatim quote.

He is literally saying "Pc gamers won't buy the Ps4Pro because they are like racists".

How is that not massively offensive? Or trivialising real world issues by equating them to fucking consumer electronics?

Arttemis

He's still wrong. I bet more than half of the PC gamers here have another system.

You're not wrong, look at reddit's master race subreddit. Some people there treat it as a joke, while you can clearly tell others truly believe they are above everyone else.

Do we actually have numbers how many pc players have a console and how many console owners own consoles from different companies?

Until there are numbers showing otherwise, that's all just speculation... which is exactly what he's doing. Yet, he's piad to do it.

Corpekata

Banned
You know, there is a certain irony in being offended at what Patcher said, when he's just one guy with a stupid opinion, and then telling console players they shouldn't be offended by PC Master Race types because they're just a vocal minority.

This isn't irony. Irony would be if the person in your example also made the PCMR jokes and whatnot. Especially on a forum where saying PCMR in seriousness is quite literally a bannable offense.

ViolentP

I like consoles, but their FPS in games are mostly pretty bad. Some games has stable good FPS, but other games, has really shitty FPS.

However, consoles makes games pretty bad. They come over, downgrade the games, worse graphics, worse FPS. Just look at Watch Dogs. It's a mess, big downgrade, yuge downgrade, an absolute mess.

I think the level of openness that comes with PC gaming in comparison to consoles can be rather daunting for some. Look at the number of people that inaccurately proclaim you have to update your PC hardware every year, constant fighting with drivers, and having to tweak consistently to get your games running correctly. I don't think it's being uninformed so much as it is the sudden availability of potentially infinite variables.

This is one of the main reasons I can understand why a person would choose consoles over PC be their conceptions accurate or not.

I don't deny that there can be an air of superiority sometimes among high-end PC users. But the racism comparison is just idiotic, and calling people "arrogant twits" doesn't really seem particularly apt when people do kind of have some legitimate claim to be arrogant about their box vs. the Pro. And this isn't meant to incite console warz, I just mean that the pitch of the Pro is better hardware that plays the same games. If you already have a good gaming rig, you've already been gaming on a box for some time that not only outperforms the PS4, but is also going to outperform the Pro. What does the Pro offer this person?

I don't think there is ever a "legitimate claim" for arrogance. if someone is an obnoxious ass then they're an obnoxious ass. Doesn't mean it's ok just because their PC outperforms some other gaming system.

Journey

Banned
Well they DO use the "pc master race" slogan...

Was just going to say that, but not ALL PC gamers do. I game on my PC, but I don't use that slogan and I don't call myself a "PC gamer" because I game on multiple platforms.

GAF during the Ps4 and Xbox one reveals was so pleasant and completely not like what people criticize PCMR people of doing to consoles. /s

Yeah but, where's the 650k strong subreddit/equivalent where people congregate under the banner of nazi-terminology?

mkenyon

Banned
For me it is not racist but more like egoist. PC gamers wants everything on PC, not allowing console exclusives. Plus because they love gimmicks (4K, 144hz, ultra settings) so yeah.

Paid games? Bad. Free game? 10/10. (This just happened before in my circles about in Ryse and The Crew which recently free on PC)

Sometimes I even hate myself.
Gimmick?

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

I guess if you're a PC Gamer who also happens to own and play games on consoles, he's not really talking about you?

This is why statements like this are bullshit.

Roshin

I've been a PC gamer since before the dinosaurs. I also own a PS4 and will buy a PS4 Pro. So there.

/holds up lighter

Atomski

Hilarious generalization, but yeah, PC gamers are easily the most insufferable fan base out there. That's not to say they're necessarily wrong though.

I honestly dont see how anyone can say this when compared to the stunts some of the sony fan base does.

• Naughty "god" game gets below a 8 score? people freak the fuck out
  • Kotaku announces game delay rumor.. gets death threat tweets
  • Have you ever entered a thread where third party game gets announced for xbox and pc but not PS4? better forget talking about the game cause its just gona be mad ps4 owners for pages.
  • Game persumed Sony excluse announced for other system? End of the world game is no longer that good anymore.
  • How many times is a game announced and I read. "sony should buy this game/studio" because we all know 3rd party can only be great if its Sony exclusive.

I mean seriously.. sure its hilarious sometimes seeing these fan boy freak outs but at the same time.. fug its annoying.

For me it is not racist but more like egoist. PC gamers wants everything on PC, not allowing console exclusives. Plus because they love gimmicks (4K, 144hz, ultra settings) so yeah.

Paid games? Bad. Free game? 10/10. (This just happened before in my circles about in Ryse and The Crew which recently free on PC)

Sometimes I even hate myself.

I am at a loss at how your list of gimmicks....is even remotely gimmicky

Pach Attack.
Seems he's conflating PC fanboys with PC gamers, perhaps based on the majority of his interactions being with the former. It's kind of understandable, especially considering people are merrily clinging onto the master race garbage.
His racism analogy is dumb, pointless and trivializing. More upset by that than his generalized insult. I am a PC gamer, among other things, but I just can't get upset about this, at all. If he wants to think that, that's cool, doesn't affect anything.
Hope angry gamers won't use this as an excuse to confirm his misguided impression.
they only like there own kind
This where published somewere?
Even if it was a written interview and Pachter was the doofus here, the editor should've still caught that and put in a [sic]. What a hack fraud bungle. Unforgivable.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Racism is alive in every part of the world, that's a fact. But it's significantly more common in Western countries, I've been to Asia, I've been to Africa, I've been to Latin America. It's only Europe and America where I'm looked at as subhuman (racism is still everywhere, but nowhere near as bad).

Bullshit, but this is derailing the thread. This is why I'm telling you that a "white" person's experiences in say, Saudi Arabia or Zimbabwe would be the equivalent. You really wouldn't be able to experience that in the same context, particularly the historical one in Zimbabwe. Of course racism looks different to you since you self-identitied yourself as "brown." Like, you wouldn't expect some racists amongst the indigenous people of Europe? How?! The problem is that you're naively thinking that is somehow unique, it isn't. Human beings worldwide have an issue with making issues out of perceivable physical differences.

I'd be happy to continue this discussion in PM's if you'd like :)

Hmmmm...so, people who are rabid fans of, say, a particular sports team are also "like racists," huh?

Lol Pachter is a fucking moron. It looks like his brain has officially calcified.

orava

But what are "Console Gamers like" then?

QnCQ8yp.jpg

mkenyon

Banned
Hilarious generalization, but yeah, PC gamers are easily the most insufferable fan base out there. That's not to say they're necessarily wrong though.
I see the it kind of like a narcissist/megalomaniac. Sure, they can be insufferable at times. But most of the time, they're insufferable because they're right. In a way, it makes it more insufferable.

I think the attitude towards PC Gamers is more real than the actual thing though. Especially on GAF. Probably more of a thing on Reddit, I'd imagine.

Instro

Well there are a fair amount of PC gamers out there that are like that, much like the are extreme console warriors that will never look outside their favored platform, and actively shit on the competitors. Not quite sure why he is attributing that mentality to the entire group though.

JP_

Banned
He could have been more precise, but it's pretty clear he's talking about the "pc master race" crowd.

I see the it kind of like a narcissist/megalomaniac. Sure, they can be insufferable at times. But most of the time, they're insufferable because they're right. In a way, it makes it more insufferable.

I think the attitude towards PC Gamers is more real than the actual thing though. Especially on GAF. Probably more of a thing on Reddit, I'd imagine.
'Right' about what? It's mostly arguing where people prefer to play or the value/cost of gaming. There's really not an argument to be had which is why so many are so insufferable.

No one argues that a PC isn't the most powerful.

Momentary

Banned
So me not owning a console make me "like a racist"?

I game with my console sisters and brothers on Rocket League and Street Fighter V...

I guess I better set it to PC only players. Do I get to wear some kind of "like a Racist" PC elitist uniform or something now?

Nzyme32

The ridiculousness of this thread and Pachter is amazing.

All this comes down to is the "PC Master Race" folks and meme - - - Yet, take note, almost all of the PC users on this forum slam the usage and attitudes of the "PC Master Race" usage, and the only usages of the term in a serious manner here are from console users either to be dismissive towards the PC users or for platform warring. This is highlighted time and again when used on this forum.

The fact this supposed "racist" attitude is endemic to the console platforming as well is just as ridiculous. Worst of all is Pachter trivialising real racism with pathetic shitty electronics / corporate fandom and platform warring from people so under the finger of marketing and corporate business and hype culture that they tie their own egos to it

This whole attitude from the industry and its fans can go fuck itself into oblivion

I almost exclusively game on PC and nobody I know (that I respect) uses the term "PC master race" except in conversations where we make fun of the people who do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom