• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Net worth is a hell of alot more important than cash value, I was explaining this last week in the tech analysis thread. If I'm worth $5 million but only have $20 I can still buy a million dollar house
Yeah I understand that, however I was more talking about that Xbox at Microsoft have such a large "warchest"...

Mattyp

Gold Member
1600496874794.jpg

Had you going for a bit with WB didn't we lad?

Alphagear

Rare has started growing again. First Sea of Theives and now the upcoming Everwild.
Well yes after hitting rock bottom. Not saying much.

Sea of thieves and Everwild? Come on.

Rare released Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, Banjo Kazooie, Conkers bad fur day, Donkey Kong 64, Blast Corps, Diddy Kong Racing and Jet force gemini in their prime.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
It’ll probably be like Minecraft. $7.5b deal just for their biggest franchises to go exclusive (Doom, ES, Fallout) isn’t very wise since they sell well on PS too.

iconmaster

Banned

If Bethesda games aren’t going to be exclusive to XBox, this ain’t quite the big deal it seems...

Like our original partnership, this one is about more than one system or one screen. We share a deep belief in the fundamental power of games, in their ability to connect, empower, and bring joy. And a belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one.

"More than one system" could just be a way of saying "PC in addition to Xbox," or perhaps "PC and Switch in addition to Xbox." $7.5 billion is way too much money not to use the Bethesda IP as a weapon against Sony.

Last edited:

nani17

are in a big trouble
MS is setting things up for the future of gaming and sadly as a games collector, it's streaming.

Yes, we're not there yet but MS is gearing up for it. Amazon wants in on this and so does google even though they failed.

MS can now have these titles exclusive on their streaming platform or charge a fee for the companies to have the license to have it on their store. They can even have timed exclusives it's up to them. For now, these titles will 100% be on PS5 and PC but as the disk-based consoles slowly go in 10 or more years which they will MS will have massive control in this area. MS clearly wants to be the Netflix of gaming and they are preparing already. Last year Amazon were rumored to be looking into buying up companies in order to start their supposed games streaming platform

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
He's Microsoft's bitch now. He'll do what he's told. There isn't a hope in hell PS owners will ever get their hands on future Bethesda games.
Wait a minute so what’s the point of the Acquisition when the games are not going to be exclusive, I’m sorry but that makes no sense.

"More than one system" could just be a way of saying "PC in addition to Xbox," or perhaps "PC and Switch in addition to Xbox." $7.5 billion is way too much money not to use the Bethesda IP as a weapon against Sony.
People are just pushing agendas because they want to play those games without buying an Xbox but they’ll have to because Sony won’t allow game pass and Microsoft don’t make that purchase to help sell PlayStations either. Going forward it will only be Xbox and Pc

wolffy71

Banned
They could but Satya Nadella has been clear, even with this announcement, that its about reaching out to all gamers. Microsoft is pivoting away from hardware platforms to selling GaaS.

According to the confirmation tweets after my post about Bethesda games, it appears that this is correct.

XBOX consoles are no longer a major focus of Microsoft, GaaS is. If Sony and Nintendo allow Gamepass, they may even stop making consoles altogether as it would no longer serve a purpose.
I understand what your saying and its right in theory, to a degree. MS doesn't care about consoles but where your wrong is thinking its about gamepass. Its not gamepass, its the ecosystem. They want gamepass to draw you into thst ecosystem.

Obviously the gaming division doesn't make money on pc vs console. But the real MS the one who sells windows, bing, office, and whatever else absolutely loves keeping pc owners happy. Thats why, imo, Nadella likes gamepass on pc.

Its not that they just want you on gamepass, they want you in their garden. Idk see how Sony or Nintendo could allow anything more than simply gp on their plarforms. So no ms wont stop making consoles.

My guess is they wont make them exclusives but they will release them free day one on game pass. So be ready for lots of angry posts about having to pay for games that XBOX and PC players get "free"

I don't know if anyone would really get angry, long term it's cheaper to buy the game. The games that Bethesda makes like ES people play for months at a time or leave and come back to later, if you were really only playing their games and paying for GP to do it you'd end up spending a lot more than $70, and we all know the price of GP will be going up at some point.

Ma-Yuan

lol ok >< Good that I always end up with all consoles. Dick move but understandable if you have nothing to over lately . . .

Having read some more of this thread, is there a particular reason it seems to accepted that future titles are going to come out for PlayStation? That doesn't seem to make any sense at all.
They did nothing with Minecraft, and he’ll isn’t the PSVR support the only official Vr support?

I think Microsoft knows they won’t win the traditional console war. Them making B games exclusives means they are losing out on a huge chunk of money. My bet is on Game Pass for Xbox/PC and just regular paid purchases for PlayStation/Nintendo/Steam.

Zok310

Banned
They lose money by not being on PS. They can sell 10-15 million copies of any of these games on PS for $70, but i bet PS wont sell 10-15 million less consoles due to this deal. They make money off the PS ecosystem, why leave that money on the table to just sell game pass when they can do both?

Last edited:

Jadsey

MS is setting things up for the future of gaming and sadly as a games collector, it's streaming.

Yes, we're not there yet but MS is gearing up for it. Amazon wants in on this and so does google even though they failed.

MS can now have these titles exclusive on their streaming platform or charge a fee for the companies to have the license to have it on their store. They can even have timed exclusives it's up to them. For now, these titles will 100% be on PS5 and PC but as the disk-based consoles slowly go in 10 or more years which they will MS will have massive control in this area. MS clearly wants to be the Netflix of gaming and they are preparing already. Last year Amazon were rumored to be looking into buying up companies in order to start their supposed games streaming platform

You're so right and it makes me sad.

MS are single-handedly ruining gaming as a hobby.

scraz

Considering how much Todd and his crew have been fucking up lately im ready to see someone come in and shut some of there bullshit like the ancient dog shit engine down. I'm never buying a Xbox and will have a PS5 as soon as i can get one but my PC game pass sure did just become more appealing and worth keeping.

They lose money by not being on PS. They can sell 10-15 million copies of any of these games on PS for $70, but i bet PS wont sell 10-15 million less consoles due to this deal. They make money off the PS ecosystem, why leave that money on the table to just sell game pass when they can do both?
This is the argument that sane people where trying to make for Sony bringing their exclusives to PC and why fans shouldn't be freaking out about it. Yet they did anyway.

Xenon

Wow damn... Not sure I would have wrote that check. But much like Minecraft, its a good long term investment. I hope Phil took a look at Elderscrolls 6 before he agreed to this.

nani17

are in a big trouble
You're so right and it makes me sad.

MS are single-handedly ruining gaming as a hobby.
Trust me this is what MS will do.

That's why you can get a game pass on most devices already. They're planting the seed and are waiting for the crops to grow.

Esteldan

It’ll probably be like Minecraft. $7.5b deal just for their biggest franchises to go exclusive (Doom, ES, Fallout) isn’t very wise since they sell well on PS too.

I'm hearing this argument a lot but if that's the case why are Sony so reluctant to put their exclusives on PC?

great get for MS and great for Xbox players and most likely Gamepass subscribers. hopefully they can fix the Fallout franchise now... lol

I play these games on PC anyway so it doesn't really affect me, but it's interesting to see as a PS owner.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom