• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.

Njocky

Banned
Sony needs to reduce the price of the PS5 ASAP. It can't cost the same as the XSX anymore. Is not the same value hardware of software wise and if they can no longer count on same old cynical anti Microsoft slogans that have permeated the minds of gamers (with Sony and part of the media's help) such as "Xbox doesn't have games" or "Sony's exclusives are unique blockbusters , we therefore charge 8 months worth of game pass where our competitor makes the game available for free to their subscribers".
It's simple economics. The competition now has the better hardware, software and services. Soppy fanboys will remain loyal until the end but if this is not reflected on the price, the mass market will speak soon enough. Your turn, Sony.

Deto

Banned
Sony needs to reduce the price of the PS5 ASAP. It can't cost the same as the XSX anymore. Is not the same value hardware of software wise and if they can no longer count on same old cynical anti Microsoft slogans that have permeated the minds of gamers (with Sony and part of the media's help) such as "Xbox doesn't have games" or "Sony's exclusives are unique blockbusters , we therefore charge 8 months worth of game pass where our competitor makes the game available for free to their subscribers".
It's simple economics. The competition now has the better hardware, software and services. Soppy fanboys will remain loyal until the end but if this is not reflected on the price, the mass market will speak soon enough. Your turn, Sony.

LOL

the more i hear takes on it, the more i think Todd is just talking about the many Xboxes and PCs and Phones that will have access to... but if the games are coming to PS5 aswell then the point would be just to have those same games on Gamepass day 1 at no additional costs

i dont know if thats a big enough pull for it to be worth it though

It will be if those games are timed exclusives on the Xbox ecosystem before coming over to PS (and Nintendo) platforms. I can seem them doing this with many of these games currently under pre-existing publishing contracts but malleable release terms for multi-platform.

Going forward, almost any new game I'm thinking there's be timed exclusivity to Xbox and PC, some also with Gamepass, and it'll be a few months up to a year before they drop on Sony and/or Nintendo platforms (for some games, if ever).

Really curious what Gamepass is going to look like in 5 years. MS has been buying devs left and right to prepare for next gen/make gamepass more desirable and they aren't finished. Phil still wants a japanese studio.

If Microsoft decides to keep Doom, Elder Scrolls, Fallout etc to themselves then this was a massive hit for Playstation. Elder Scrolls alone is a system seller for many people.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The meltdown on that other place is magnificent, in one breath desperate Sony fans are calling for their favourite company to buy Square-Enix/Capcom/etc, to make their IPs exclusive, while also begging MS to make their IPs multiplat.
What other place?

MilkyJoe

One for him, actually it's a bit wide.

5ee3ca045b9a1.jpeg

nGMrD.gif

I always wonder if these acquisitions really make sense. MS could finance 75 exclusive AAA games, each costing $100 million dollar, for that money. Now they've just got the studios and the IPs. The IPs are valuable but IMO both Fallout and Elder Scrolls are long past their prime. IMO it's a waste of money.

First of all their is no set formula that AAA IPs cost $100 million now. In fact I've heard they cost $300-$500 million now and that's before marketing costs.

However I did the math, in order for MSFT to make this money back they'd need to sell:

10 million new XSS/XSX + 25 million Game Pass subscribers
OR
21 million new XSS/XSX
OR
some other combinations.

The point is I just don't see how they ever make this money back.

iorek21

This is huge

Even more if TES becomes a exclusive. Congratulations, Microsoft.

I doubt Sony will do anything about it

Orta

Banned
Wait a minute so what’s the point of the Acquisition when the games are not going to be exclusive, I’m sorry but that makes no sense.

Maybe, just maybe MS are investing in their own product hoping that players will buy that product as a result of said investment. You know? Like they've done with Playground games, Ninja Theory, etc.

If Sony had bought out Bethesda this place would be pissing itself with laughter and declaring it a masterstroke investment.

Last edited:

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I'm hearing this argument a lot but if that's the case why are Sony so reluctant to put their exclusives on PC?

Sony’s strategy is that they want you to get it on PlayStation first then once sales dwindle, put it on PC for others to get. Which actually works. People do buy PlayStation for these games.

Most of Microsoft’s games don’t sell as big as Sony’s (exception is Minecraft) so putting it PC and Xbox and Game Pass and simultaneously works for them.

* edit: I just realized Halo isn’t as big now compared to the likes of Spider-Man, TLOU, God of War.

They have different strategies, the blockbuster model works for Sony, the Game Pass model works for Microsoft.

Honestly, I think console wars are dying to the point that the big 3 have different markets and different services (Sony = blockbusters + niche, Microsoft = game pass, Nintendo = family friendly and chill)

Last edited:

rapid32.5

In terms of getting next gen system. This deal evens out everything for me. I was leaning towards PS5 -60% and XSX 40%. I love competition, you just watch and enjoy the show.

Dolomite

Yeah I understand that, however I was more talking about that Xbox at Microsoft have such a large "warchest"...
Yep if we're breaking down MS as a division, xbox makes just a fraction of it's wealth.
Xbox is like the kid who can run home and get his rich dad to buy your house because you said your dad was stronger.

Humdinger

Gold Member
I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, and I am looking forward to Starfield (although I don't know much about it yet). If those games turn out to be exclusive, I'll buy an Xbox to play them in a few years, when Starfield comes out. By then, maybe Xbox will have Fable and something else I'd like, too.

If Bethesda games aren’t going to be exclusive to XBox, this ain’t quite the big deal it seems...

I don't think that quote rules out exclusivity. "A belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one."

It sounds more like a feel-good statement that echoes MS's "Play Anywhere" motto. He may just be talking about PC, smartphones, tablets, etc. -- all the devices MS wants to get GP on. It doesn't necessarily mean being able to play the game on PS4/5.

Also what everyone is forgetting is this basically just destroyed Google Stadia. Google also had the cash to pull off this deal and I think Bethesda just didn't want a non-gaming company owning them. So major CHAD move by Phil to checkmate Google.

McCarth

This makes Obsidian developing Avowed all the more strange IMO... Clearly this wasn't an acquisition that has been long in the making. Would love to see how MS proper has quantified the potential ROI on this purchase, but I have to believe they've amortized it over at minimum a decade.

This is a major, major move and a huge leap for the Xbox division. It HAS to pay dividends for them.

Phils' power plays aren't an excuse to act retarded now my boy

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Like the previous studios purchasing... Games already in development will remain in place for all other consoles. But after that, it's all Xbox/pc

Last edited:

Flintty

For those of you complaining about this, it’s entirely the fault of Sony.

Instead of sitting comfortably on a huge lead in the market, they went for the kill shot, buying exclusivity and trying to buy devs in an attempt to freeze MS out and eliminate them from the market, which would have been terrible for the industry.

This is escalation.

I'd imagine Sony had a deal with Bethesda before this takeover about getting Elder Scrolls 6, Starfield and future Fallout games for their console. Now, Microsoft may eventually make them Xbox exclusive series, but I doubt it's going to be anytime soon. They're not that dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom