• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously, if not already announced games are still coming to Playstation 5, Jim Ryan is laughing his ASS off. MS spent $7.5 billion and they're still giving us the crown jewels, HAHAHAHAHAHAH.

Flintty

Exactly Sony tried to content starve the series x going to every 3rd party studio for timed exclusives. Microsoft had to fight back can't time exclusive a Microsoft studio lol.
Absolutely. Sony is so cutthroat, there is NO reason for Xbox to put their games on Sony boxes. With Xcloud, Xbox and PC they have plenty of gamers to sell their games and/or Game Pass. I could see them maybe putting some games on Nintendo though.

Well fingers crossed. If MS don’t fuck this up (never ever discount MS fucking it up) we could be in for a return to the 360 glory days for exclusive content. I can dream!

Jordyboppers

Neo Member
I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, and I am looking forward to Starfield (although I don't know much about it yet). If those games turn out to be exclusive, I'll buy an Xbox to play them in a few years, when Starfield comes out. By then, maybe Xbox will have Fable and something else I'd like, too.

I don't think that quote rules out exclusivity. "A belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one."

It sounds more like a feel-good statement that echoes MS's "Play Anywhere" motto. He may just be talking about PC, smartphones, tablets, etc. -- all the devices MS wants to get GP on. It doesn't necessarily mean being able to play the game on PS4/5.

I ju
I'm a big Elder Scrolls fan, and I am looking forward to Starfield (although I don't know much about it yet). If those games turn out to be exclusive, I'll buy an Xbox to play them in a few years, when Starfield comes out. By then, maybe Xbox will have Fable and something else I'd like, too.

I don't think that quote rules out exclusivity. "A belief we should bring that to everyone - regardless of who you are, where you live, or what you play on. Regardless of the screen size, the controller, or your ability to even use one."

It sounds more like a feel-good statement that echoes MS's "Play Anywhere" motto. He may just be talking about PC, smartphones, tablets, etc. -- all the devices MS wants to get GP on. It doesn't necessarily mean being able to play the game on PS4/5.

If that was the case why spend all that money to not shout from the roof tops that the games will be exclusive to the xbox ecosystem.

I think there are going to obvious advantages to the acquisition like timed / exclusive content but Microsoft isn’t going to cut off a chunk of its customers with full exclusivity.

............ correct
Idk when MS does it, it somehow feels less grimes? Like there's a chance you can play thier content in the future, or on switch. I can never expect to play Spiderman without a dual shock

Exclusives are anti-consumer and should die already. All games should by LAW be multi-plat and the console makers can compete on hardware features.

Idk, its a big deal but then it also isn't. MS bought Mojang but Minecraft still appears on Playstation. I doubt all those franchises go exclusive, but instead, MS would earn money for every game sold on Playstation. Its sort of how Sony earns money for every physical Xbox game sold because it uses Blu-ray discs (which Sony helped create).

I'm sure MS will label it as having exclusive content on Xbox, etc., but I doubt every franchise goes Xbox only. Eh, its fine. I honestly haven't played/enjoyed a Bethesda game since I put 20 hours in Skyrim 9 years ago. I tried to like Fallout, Dishonored, and Wolfenstein, but those games are just not for me. I cancelled gamepass last week because I haven't played a game from that service in 4 months. I tend to play what I want and seek it out, rather than playing what's available. It's the same reason I hate Netflix and Hulu. They inundate users with a lot of stuff and hope there's one thing people will like. But I prefer quality over quantity, and would rather not waste my time and settle for something I don't really want to play/watch.

Good get for Xbox; I think most Xbox players enjoy those games. I hope with the cash influx they can finally develop a new engine. That old morrowind engine needs to die a quick death.

I wonder if Sony comes back with buying Capcom or Square Enix. That would make this arms race really interesting.

Last edited:

Vick

6c485efad8b910e5289fc7968ea1d22f.gif

Only read now.. i knew there was a strange smell in the air.
Fucking megaton.

Ogbert

Lads.

There’s absolutely no fucking way these games are going to still be on PS5. Maybe three after release, once the dust has settled.

To be clear, it sucks. I just ordered a PS5. But as someone pointed out on Twitter, whilst Sony we’re negotiating exclusive deals for Bethesda games, Microsoft were negotiating exclusivity to.....Bethesda.

This is what we’ve been talking about when we said Microsoft are loaded.

nemiroff

Gold Member
How did I miss this.. This is pretty big stuff.. I don't like "exclusivity", that's for sure. But it's a good thing it's MS and not Sony, because at least there's Game Pass and PC versions ~dayOne.

Last edited:

xion4360

How is it less shady to lose a small portion of a game than entire games?

are you or anyone upset that Marvel's Spider Man isnt on xbox one? no why should you be...its understood that its a sony published game by a 1st party studio...just like uncharted and last of us...it wouldnt make sense to feel that way.

a game that is multiplatform having attractive content exclusive to one platform is a different story.

Kimahri

Banned
So eh, is Microsoft turning into the Disney of the gaming world now? One company to rule them all, one company to find them, one company to bring them all, and in the darkness bind them?

I love Disney before they bought everything, now I really don't.

Is the same gonna happen to Xbox? One more publisher of Zenimax size and there will be a paradigm shift.

Not sure I like this turn of events.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Well they got their wish, looks like it's going to be exclusive after all.
I be what happened was Bethesda was openly playing the field on deals. This happens all the time in manufacturer/store exclusive product deals.

The retailer will give competitors the hint things might happen and for everyone to come back to us with any proposed super deals because nudge nudge wink wink one of big competitors has proposed something big to us.

And with console gaming being a 3 party industry (more like 2 for big name AAA budget games), if MS got the hint Bethesda was saying Starfield has a potential deal in the works, MS knows it's Sony.

So MS said fuck this, we'll just buy you guys out and get rid of Sony trying to moneyhat deals again.

Last edited:

Flintty

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To answer the question everyone is asking: Phil Spencer tells <a href="https://twitter.com/dinabass?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@dinabass</a> that Xbox plans to honor the PS5 exclusivity commitment for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo.<br><br>Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and &quot;other consoles on a case by case basis.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/Agyttr53LO">https://t.co/Agyttr53LO</a></p>&mdash; Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) <a href="">September 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Haha that’s fucking crazy! Contract is contract I guess.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">To answer the question everyone is asking: Phil Spencer tells <a href="https://twitter.com/dinabass?ref_src=twsrc^tfw">@dinabass</a> that Xbox plans to honor the PS5 exclusivity commitment for Deathloop and Ghostwire: Tokyo.<br><br>Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and &quot;other consoles on a case by case basis.&quot; <a href="https://t.co/Agyttr53LO">https://t.co/Agyttr53LO</a></p>&mdash; Jason Schreier (@jasonschreier) <a href="">September 21, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Were you posting this in some old vbulletin based forum?

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Idk, its a big deal but then it also isn't. MS bought Mojang but Minecraft still appears on Playstation. I doubt all those franchises go exclusive, but instead, MS would earn money for every game sold on Playstation. Its sort of how Sony earns money for every physical Xbox game sold because it uses Blu-ray discs (which Sony helped create).

I'm sure MS will label it as having exclusive content on Xbox, etc., but I doubt every franchise goes Xbox only. Eh, its fine. I honestly haven't played/enjoyed a Bethesda game since I put 20 hours in Skyrim 9 years ago. I tried to like Fallout, Dishonored, and Wolfenstein, but those games are just not for me. I cancelled gamepass last week because I haven't played a game from that service in 4 months. I tend to play what I want and seek it out, rather than playing what's available. It's the same reason I hate Netflix and Hulu. They inundate users with a lot of stuff and hope there's one thing people will like. But I prefer quality over quantity, and would rather not waste my time and settle for something I don't really want to play/watch.

Good get for Xbox; I think most Xbox players enjoy those games. I hope with the cash influx they can finally develop a new engine. That old morrowind engine needs to die a quick death.

I wonder if Sony comes back with buying Capcom or Square Enix. That would make this arms race really interesting.

the difference here is that Minecraft is still the same game as it was when release, they have never released a Minecraft 2.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
Future Bethesda games will be on Xbox, PC, and "other consoles on a case by case basis".

So, more than likely, Fallout and Elder Scrolls will remain on Playstation for the big bucks, while smaller games like Wolfenstein, Prey, Doom etc. go MS exclusive.

Since you're not refuting anything that I've said, I hope you're at least planning to get a game pass subscription. Starfield looks like it will be good.

Depends when Starfield comes out

If it's out 2022 then maybe. It's whether they finally give me a reason for me to buy their box to sub in the first place. And that won't be for a couple of years yet.

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Maybe, just maybe MS are investing in their own product hoping that players will buy that product as a result of said investment. You know? Like they've done with Playground games, Ninja Theory, etc.

If Sony had bought out Bethesda this place would be pissing itself with laughter and declaring it a masterstroke investment.
I hope not cause Bethesduh is still a giant pile of shit no matter who wasted money on acquiring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom