• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.
As expected. Its a strange one. I think MS will want gamepass on playstation devices and that will be their bargaining chip. If they don't deal they walk away and I'm now thinking of actually getting a series x ....what is happening.......

Not happening. They will charge 70$ on ps5, and put them on gamepass day one for pc and xbox. Thats the advantage 7billion $ buys you.

xion4360

TES and Fallout, TES especially just sell too much. I don't think you can convince the millions and millions of people who only play TES on Playstation to buy a whole new system, I doubt it'd be worth it in the long run. Make it multiplat but give Xbox owners Game Pass day one and other exclusive benefits.

you dont have to convince everyone...but after 2 or 3 games who's going to keep holding off?? they'll eventually say ok fine ill buy an xbox

VulcanRaven

I plan to buy PS5 but I haven't actually played any of the Fallout or Elder Scrolls games so I'm not very sad about this. I'm relieved that they didn't buy Warner's gaming divison.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Exactly. Hopefully it's either buy into the MS ecosystem (Xbox, Windows, or xCloud) or just play your 3rd person cinematic walking sims.

This that what we call games like God of War, Ratchet and Clank, and TLOU? Interesting.....

I’ve been saying this for a while but will repeat, Microsoft are playing a different game to Sony now. Sony are still carrying on like nothing’s changed, and they will get left behind very quickly.

Gamepass (and other similar services) is the future, generations have already ended, and the future of the home console as the main way to play will be short lived. Technological advances will be available in data centres not Gamestops.

I don’t know if these games will be exclusive, but I hope not. It would perhaps teach Sony’s irritating fanboys some much needed humility, but it wouldn’t be the smartest decision, and isn’t fair on the Sony fans who aren’t annoying fuckwits.

I expect at least they will be on Xbox, Nintendo and PC if they want to teach them a lesson, but I hope to see GamePass of PS5 (and certainly Sony smart TVs) and everyone able to play everything, everywhere.

I buy all consoles at the moment, and not having to do that to play everything is hugely appealing, and how it should be.

Last edited:
Not any more.
Bethesda has too much jank. Their games at best are patchworks that are held together by glue and string. Arena and daggerfall crashed if you looked at them wrong. And its been how long since skyrim? That game is still jank as fuck.

Its doom and wolf that are gomna interest me.

well this is interesting...
0KSHyRq.jpg

Orta

Banned
For reference, Disney bought Star Wars for 4 billion. This is a huge move. How in the f*ck will they ever get a return on this investment.

It doesn't *really* matter if they don't. $7.5b to MS is peanuts. They can afford to piss that kind of money away just to get one over on Sony.

johntown

Banned
Bethesda always heavily favored MS anyway with their games. They always ran like crap on Playstation.

The takeaway with the ever increasing console wars seems to be join the PC Master Race since PS titles will eventually come to PC anyway (probably most).

Orta

Banned
"What's Sony going to do???" LOL hilarious takes.

wow people are really excited about playing old buggy Bethesday games LOL

this really going to make up for waiting a year to play Halo? getting to play a bunch of old games?

you guys never played Skyrim before? hah

Halo is no longer the flagship fps on xbox....

Reactions: Isa

tryDEATH

MS is absolutely going balls deep into next-generation and Sony just isn't able to keep up.

This is phenomenal news for MS fans especially those with GamePass as the service got even better, which is crazy that it is still somehow able to raise the bar even higher.

The amount of 1st party games from iconic franchises is becoming overwhelming at this point, there really is only going to be one place to play them and that is Xbox.

Also all the talk about these not being console exclusives, it just wishful thinking from the Sony fanboys. PS5 is going to get their timed AA exclusives in Deathloop and Ghostwire and at that point that relationship is done, if Sony doesn't start to port over their 1st party titles games to Xbox.

Game, set, match for Xbox for next generation.

jigglet

Banned
I predict games that need a huge community to thrive will continue to be multi-platform, like Minecraft and games like Fallout 76. But single player games will all be exclusive.

Maxwell Jacob Friedman

leads to fear. Fear leads to xbox.
MS is absolutely going balls deep into next-generation and Sony just isn't able to keep up.

This is phenomenal news for MS fans especially those with GamePass as the service got even better, which is crazy that it is still somehow able to raise the bar even higher.

The amount of 1st party games from iconic franchises is becoming overwhelming at this point, there really is only going to be one place to play them and that is Xbox.

Also all the talk about these not being console exclusives, it just wishful thinking from the Sony fanboys. PS5 is going to get their timed AA exclusives in Deathloop and Ghostwire and at that point that relationship is done, if Sony doesn't start to port over their 1st party titles games to Xbox.

Game, set, match for Xbox for next generation.
Have you seen What Sony first post studios made this gen compared to MS?? Lol they will be fine

avatar bet Sony kills them in sales and quality titles aka metacritic scores

Last edited:

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
you dont have to convince everyone...but after 2 or 3 games who's going to keep holding off?? they'll eventually say ok fine ill buy an xbox

... That's convincing them then, isn't it? A lot of people probably would move, yeah, of course, but is it more or less than the number of people that would be buying it on Playstation and still making MS money regardless? That's for them to decide and us to find out in time to come. I think the big boys will either be multiplats (with bonuses for Xbox owners) or at least timed exclusives.

amigastar

I just hope it will have no influence on Skywind development. It would be a dickmove if they have to cancel it.

Last edited:
Anyone else worried that this will turn to shit? Microsoft isn't gonna let bethesda take a decade for one game. Or redo a game from scratch like doom 2016. If 343 and bungie are any indications we're gonna see some middling games come out.

But Gamebryo or whatever that elder scrolls engine is finally dead so all right.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
They should definitely not bring starfield to PS5. They should keep it Xbox and PC only. This will no doubt increase Xbox sales. Since many love playing on consoles instead of PC.

$7.5 Billion sales it'll come to Playstation at some point. Unless MS' shareholders don't like money of course.

xion4360

... That's convincing them then, isn't it? A lot of people probably would move, yeah, of course, but is it more or less than the number of people that would be buying it on Playstation and still making MS money regardless? That's for them to decide and us to find out in time to come. I think the big boys will either be multiplats (with bonuses for Xbox owners) or at least timed exclusives.

I meant you dont have to convince everyone right away, but after the 2nd or 3d game?...I figured that would be obvious but I apologize it wasnt....and selling to a competitor isnt making MS as much money as selling into their own ecosystem.

Last edited:

He's just guessing. Series like the Elder Scrolls, Fallout and Starfield are obviously going to be sold on all the platforms. Wouldn't make much business sense otherwise. Now, the smaller Bethesda games may go Xbox exclusive, but there's no way in hell they make the bigger ones exclusive.

Besides, Hines and Howard have basically confirmed they're still going to publish their own games and make their games available for everyone. Microsoft has basically bought Bethesda for its library and for their Game Pass (meaning, it's a more compelling reason to get future Bethesda titles for free on Game Pass). PS5 and Switch players will have to fork out $70 for their future games..... Xbox players won't.

splattered

Anyone else worried that this will turn to shit? Microsoft isn't gonna let bethesda take a decade for one game. Or redo a game from scratch like doom 2016. If 343 and bungie are any indications we're gonna see some middling games come out.

But Gamebryo or whatever that elder scrolls engine is finally dead so all right.

Nope, not worried. They have 23 studios now. Plenty of talent to work on smaller GP style games while the big boys let the good stuff simmer to perfection.

That's what you call a desperation move... They knew they were going to get destroyed this gen yet again, and the had to spend 7.5 Billion dollars to acquire fake exclusives to even have a chance at not getting decimated this gen in terms of sales.

Sad part , they're never getting that money back, especially not with a Game Pass subscription getting them a fraction of the cash they would have gotten from selling all of these games full price... Then again I don't think they care, they have alot of money and they only want to get people on board their game pass subscription in mass so they can end up jacking up the price in a couple of years since it's frankly not a sustainable system to begin with in it's current iteration. Just can't wait for PPL to all jump into the game pass thing only to slowly get tricked into paying more and more per month as years go by, and in the end pay more per year that they would have paid by simply buying the couple of games they really wanted to play.

Last edited:

O-N-E

Speechless.. I'm utterly speechless. And we thought that Sony buying Insomniac was a huge deal.
The way I see it, the console war as we knew it (who sells the most) may be over. Microsoft has just put its money where its mouth was and they now have the means to make Game Pass and/or Xbox hardware absolutely unavoidable for gamers. It all depends on whether they want to make the Bethesda franchises exclusive.
I can't believe it's real. This is way bigger than buying CD Projekt or even WB. My God. Doom, Quake, Rage, Dishonored, Fallout, The Elder Scrolls,etc.. on top of all the other XGS studios??? AND EA PLAY IA ALSO IN GAME PASS AT NO ADDITIONAL COST?
You had to wonder why MS was so passive after the Halo Infinite fiasco. Not even in a hurry to schedule another game showcase. Allowed the Series X|S conferences to leak out. They knew the kind of weapon they were about to roll out was of game ending magnitude.
I think Microsoft has gotten tired of playing chicken and egg with a much less financially robust competitor and called game. Never thought I would say this but Sony is outgunned software wise. They better be very kind to MS and beg them to not make the entire Bethesda catalogue exclusive. If I'm Phil Spencer, I want FF16 multiplat before I even pick up a call.
Sony needs to reduce the price of the PS5 ASAP. It can't cost the same as the XSX anymore. Is not the same value hardware of software wise and if they can no longer count on same old cynical anti Microsoft slogans that have permeated the minds of gamers (with Sony and part of the media's help) such as "Xbox doesn't have games" or "Sony's exclusives are unique blockbusters , we therefore charge 8 months worth of game pass where our competitor makes the game available for free to their subscribers".
It's simple economics. The competition now has the better hardware, software and services. Soppy fanboys will remain loyal until the end but if this is not reflected on the price, the mass market will speak soon enough. Your turn, Sony.

Man this dude is losing his shit. Calm down buddy. Relax. Play the games when they come out. Have a juice box. There there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom