• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft acquires Zenimax/Bethesda

Status
Not open for further replies.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Also what everyone is forgetting is this basically just destroyed Google Stadia. Google also had the cash to pull off this deal and I think Bethesda just didn't want a non-gaming company owning them. So major CHAD move by Phil to checkmate Google.

Good point, makes this even sweeter. Can you imagine how shit it would be if Google acquired Zenimax.

Starfield

tenor.gif

MrMephistoX

Holy shit...if these go exclusive Xbox and PC only...I totally haven’t been following the rumor mill so this is 100% out of left field.

wolffy71

Banned
Given Sony have been pretty aggressive with exclusives including third party content I feel letting them continue to have Fallout/Elder Scrolls would be handing them a free pass.

I want gamers to have the choice of where to play, don't get me wrong but it just seems ludicrous to me that they'd make a purchase like this for the purpose of profiting off PS purchases of Elder Scrolls.
Keep in mind that many(most?) people have been saying that with MS's offering of its games on pc, that you dont need to buy an xbox and that it makes sense to go ps5 and pc.

The other side of that is... MS doesn't need these games on ps5 to sell them to ps5 players.

j0hnnix

This is very much insane bomb before pre-orders. Sony showed their price but MS had one more card up their sleeve, pretty smart move. I am more interested in and if MS will lockout Sony from these future games and only sell to PC / Xbox market. Crazy times.

I always wonder if these acquisitions really make sense. MS could finance 75 exclusive AAA games, each costing $100 million dollar, for that money. Now they've just got the studios and the IPs. The IPs are valuable but IMO both Fallout and Elder Scrolls are long past their prime. IMO it's a waste of money.

We'll you're right of course.

Spiderman is a bigger IP than everything Bethesda owns combined, and Sony bought the studio that made the best Spiderman game ever for $350m, which seems like an absolute bargain.

Like I said, Elder Scrolls is the big one, as Doom is pretty average, Fallout is on a downward trend with the next one, if its AAA, not due until 2024/5 or something.

xion4360

No reason to make bethesda games exclusive to xbox. If they release it to other platforms like the ps5 or switch they still make money, like minecraft. It's still a win win scenario for them.

except that still weakens the xbox brand...so not all wins there.

quest

Not Banned from OT
This makes Obsidian developing Avowed all the more strange IMO... Clearly this wasn't an acquisition that has been long in the making. Would love to see how MS proper has quantified the potential ROI on this purchase, but I have to believe they've amortized it over at minimum a decade.

This is a major, major move and a huge leap for the Xbox division. It HAS to pay dividends for them.
They started avowed in 2018. It takes time to make rpg like that. I'm sure Falk out will be on the radar once they staff up to 3 full teams.

Folk have been saying for weeks that studio buyouts & exclusivity is bad, yet here we have a thread full of cheering for that. GAF can be a bonkers place when big news drops.

Dolomite

Jesus christ...

Welp. Guess i'm never going to play TES6
The XSS will be $200-$250 tops by the time TES6 even gets a trailer...at that price it's just giving into brand loyalty to not own both consoles.

I plan on picking up a ps5 in about a yr, but I'd own a ps5 Jr day one if it was $299

Last edited:

Piku_Ringo

Banned
Reaction Predictions

XBox Fans:
"Holt Shit!!! We got more great studios. I'll get to play great games in GamePass Day One.

Sony Fans:
"Meh. They paid too much. The last few Fallout games sucked. I'll just play it on my PC."

PS Fanboy: The PlayStation is the greatest video game console brand in the motha fuckin' world!!

Sensible Gamer: Where do you ****** keep coming from?

PS Fanboy: Fuck the Xbox brand cuz!!!!

Xbox Fanboy in the distance: FUCK YOU *****!!!

No reason to make bethesda games exclusive to xbox. If they release it to other platforms like the ps5 or switch they still make money, like minecraft. It's still a win win scenario for them.

No. Minecraft was already multiplat when they bought it so it would continue to be so. If a Minecraft 2 ever comes that will be XBox + PC only and maybe Switch port. Why spend $7.5 billion to get a slightly better version of the multiplat? Makes 0 sense and sounds like PS fans' bargaining.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Kinda makes sense based on the ips 🤔
Doom and TEW is the only games that's interest me..

FranXico

Folk have been saying for weeks that studio buyouts & exclusivity is bad, yet here we have a thread full of cheering for that. GAF can be a bonkers place when big news drops.
Yes. Not long ago people were crying about big bad Sony paying to keep Spiderman out of a shitty Avengers looter on Xbox, but when their heroic little underdog buys out an entire publisher and takes a bunch of entire games away from playstation, that's somehow a good thing.

quest

Not Banned from OT
For those of you complaining about this, it’s entirely the fault of Sony.

Instead of sitting comfortably on a huge lead in the market, they went for the kill shot, buying exclusivity and trying to buy devs in an attempt to freeze MS out and eliminate them from the market, which would have been terrible for the industry.

This is escalation.
Exactly Sony tried to content starve the series x going to every 3rd party studio for timed exclusives. Microsoft had to fight back can't time exclusive a Microsoft studio lol.

People seem to let their personal self-created hate for a company prevent them from enjoying games.

But this is def Sonygafs fault, can’t crack jokes on a company for 6+ years about not having games then get pissed when said company starts buying up studios to have games lol

This makes Obsidian developing Avowed all the more strange IMO... Clearly this wasn't an acquisition that has been long in the making. Would love to see how MS proper has quantified the potential ROI on this purchase, but I have to believe they've amortized it over at minimum a decade.

This is a major, major move and a huge leap for the Xbox division. It HAS to pay dividends for them.
The IP alone saves the xbox from complete irrelevance.

lefty1117

Gold Member
Just do what Sony does with their exclusives, and make them 1-2 year exclusives on their platform(s). Then release on Playstation at full original price :D

Megaton indeed

xion4360

Yes. Not long ago people were crying about big bad Sony paying to keep Spiderman out of a shitty Avengers looter on Xbox, but when their heroic little underdog buys out an entire publisher and takes a bunch of entire games away from playstation, that's somehow a good thing.

well avengers is already on xbox....when its the entire publisher its like oh well i get what it is, but when its just some attractive piece of a game otherwise multiplatform that feels way more shady.

Phenomenal move.

This acquisition gives Xbox's first-party a much needed shot of caffeine for next-gen, and that directly translates to renewed interest in their platform(s). Exciting times ahead.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
For those of you complaining about this, it’s entirely the fault of Sony.

Instead of sitting comfortably on a huge lead in the market, they went for the kill shot, buying exclusivity and trying to buy devs in an attempt to freeze MS out and eliminate them from the market, which would have been terrible for the industry.

This is escalation.

Absolutely. Sony is so cutthroat, there is NO reason for Xbox to put their games on Sony boxes. With Xcloud, Xbox and PC they have plenty of gamers to sell their games and/or Game Pass. I could see them maybe putting some games on Nintendo though.

Dolomite

Deal? MS owns them. Look at Minecraft. MS doesnt care where you play as long as the card isn't declined.
Wouldn't hold my breath for another Minecraft repeat. Something tell me these IP's are meant to bolster the already insane Gamepass library. Switch pro is the,IMHO, the only console that may get these titles.

Sony buys timed exclusivity on Final Fantasy - "Genius move, suck it Xbox players, MS is dead and exiting the console market"

Microsoft buys Bethesda - "REEEeee Microsoft better make their own IPs multiplatform, but Sony shouldn't do the same"

Literally no-one said this.

quest

Not Banned from OT
People seem to let their personal self-created hate for a company prevent them from enjoying games.

But this is def Sonygafs fault, can’t crack jokes on a company for 6+ years about not having games then get pissed when said company starts buying up studios to have games lol
Or cheer on Sony for going to every 3rd party studio for timed exclusives and not expect something like this.

Reactions: M16

M16

Deal? MS owns them. Look at Minecraft. MS doesnt care where you play as long as the card isn't declined.
actually, im starting to think these will be exclusive. ms coulda just paid to get them on gamepass, and it woulda been a hell of alot cheaper, but instead decided to buy it all. there has to be a reason.

Last edited:

SolidSlug

Neo Member
If they play it well, this is a great coup for Microsoft.
By play it well, I mean "let them be and do what they have always been and done".

Now, it could also lead to a massive exodus of people at the studios. As has happened to many other studios Microsoft acquired.

Regardless, from a publicity standpoint, it's great show.

RyanEvans21

No. Minecraft was already multiplat when they bought it so it would continue to be so. If a Minecraft 2 ever comes that will be XBox + PC only and maybe Switch port. Why spend $7.5 billion to get a slightly better version of the multiplat? Makes 0 sense and sounds like PS fans' bargaining.

Minecraft Dungeon is on Sony and Nintendo Platform.

Orpheum

The XSS will be $200-$250 by the time TES6 even gets a trailer...at that price is just giving into brand loyalty to not own both consoles.

True. However that depends on the overall output of "bethesda" since TES6 is literally the only game i'd be interested in...at least for now. A console for only one game is a little bit too much for my taste^^

FranXico

well avengers is already on xbox....when its the entire publisher its like oh well i get what it is, but when its just some attractive piece of a game otherwise multiplatform that feels way more shady.
How is it less shady to lose a small portion of a game than entire games?

Dolomite

............ correct
Idk when MS does it, it somehow feels less grimey? Gaf doesn't expect people to buy MS exclusives and they are treated as second rate anyway. But, now even with the acquisition there's the hope/a chance you can play thier content in the future, or on switch. I can never expect to play Spiderman without a dual shock

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom