• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
But their games are still on the competitions console 👀

Yes, Destiny 2, a game that has already been out for a while, certainly is.

Just like how all Activision games already out or announced on any platforms will remain there, and get updated, even after whenever the acquisition gets completed, if it does.

Bungie's next project is a mobile game with NetEase. Whatever they make after that in the next couple of years will be interesting to see if it's still on all platforms or only PS/PC/Mobile.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
We shouldn't start a list wars but there's nothing on this list as big as final fantasy for example. MS and Sony third party exclusives are in a whole different level.
Is that not MS fault for not having good knowledge of the most beloved and popular third parties? They can afford ff7 remake, they are a 2 trillion dollar company. They should have better knowledge of what gamers want

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Maybe I'm wrong, but when Sony entered the gaming sphere, weren't they the big tech company that made CD players, TVs, walkmans etc that decided they wanted to use their talents of CD to create a console after a fouled relationship with Nintendo and start buying exclusives like Final Fantasy VII etc?

Now its just 20 odd years later and little Xbox microsoft have finally been noticed by Papa Microsoft and been handed the wallet to make some serious waves for their business plan.

Will it work out for them, let's see.
FF7 was Playstation exclusive because Nintendo stuck with carts and Sega were failing. It came to PC years later.

It had nothing to do with moneyhatting.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

Ooh, ooh, I saw this one, and remember how it ends.
Understand Captain America GIF

TBF Microsoft could've secured all three of those games as timed console exclusives to Xbox Series but for whatever reason they were seriously behind in terms of negotiating those types of deals prior to 2020. And whatever they would've had to pay if getting into a bidding war with Sony, in the end would've costed them far less than the $7.5 billion they paid for Zenimax. All the same, they could've entered a bidding war on a new phase of COD marketing exclusivity after the current one was done and won such a bid, paying significantly less than $69 billion.

No, It makes more sense to buy the publisher instead of doing one off deals considering Xbox's main goal. Xbox wants to grow game pass as much as they can and in order to grow any content subscriptions you need a consistent stream of content to get new subs and keep old subs. Buying the publisher guarantees them content now and in the future.

Sony has a bigger install base and mindshare so they can't compete with Sony when it comes to getting the one off deals because Sony has more leverage in those negations because they have a bigger install base. MS/Xbox is using their biggest strength which is their endless pocket book lol.

Now, COD is very important to Sony because that game alone makes sony more profit in 1 year than God of war, TLOUS and GT7 can combined because sony doesn't have to spend money to make COD but playstation is the biggest platform for COD so if they lose COD they would lose billions of profit. This is why they are fighting so hard to expand the rights to keep COD on PlayStation. Xbox claimed they will always keep it on Playstation publicly but Jim Ryan come out and said Phil told him it will be exclusive for at least 3 more years behind closed doors, hence the fall out that is now happening from that conversation.

At the end of the day, once Xbox buys activision they don't need to let sony keep COD because they will own the IP and can do whatever they want with it but I would think it would make more financial sense to keep it on Playstation so they can continue to generate that revenue from PlayStation and reinvest it back into the development of the new COD games.

I think Xbox is placing a lot of trust in Game pass and I don't see how AAA games can stay sustainable with the service but we will see how this all plays out.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Maybe I'm wrong, but when Sony entered the gaming sphere, weren't they the big tech company that made CD players, TVs, walkmans etc that decided they wanted to use their talents of CD to create a console after a fouled relationship with Nintendo and start buying exclusives like Final Fantasy VII etc?

Now its just 20 odd years later and little Xbox microsoft have finally been noticed by Papa Microsoft and been handed the wallet to make some serious waves for their business plan.

Will it work out for them, let's see.

FF7 was Playstation exclusive because Nintendo stuck with carts and Sega were failing. It came to PC years later.

It had nothing to do with moneyhatting.
Exactly. Whats next? Is Sony going to be criticized for moneyhatting Crash? Tomb Raider? MGS? FF8 came on FOUR CDs. FOUR. How are you gonna get that in a cartridge.

Everyone does this. Sega went out and bought RE: Code Veronica. Nintendo literally bought the Resident Evil IP for the ENTIRE Gamecube gen. No one cared. We were just happy to be getting stunning looking games like RE0, RE1 and eventually RE4. Would they have been possible without Nitnendo's investment? Maybe. But we all understood first party manufacturers went out and paid for the best of the best.

DenchDeckard DenchDeckard When MS first came on the scene, they followed the sony model. They created a more powerful console. They used a better storage medium in HDDs just like Sony did with CDs. They went out and bought Bungie and made a PC game an xbox exclusive. They paid $350 million for Rare in 2002 which is probably around $600 million today. Sony bought Insomniac for what $250 million in 2019? There was BIG money being spent back at launch, and it continued when they released a brand new console just 4 years later. They were losing billions every year on Xbox. How do you think they went and got Gears of War, Mass Effect, and Bioshock exclusivity? They paid for it. How do you think they kept GTA4 and FF13 from going exclusive? They paid for it.

This is simply how the business works and has always worked. You go out and acquire independent studios and moneyhat big publishers. MS is changing the game and thats all well and good but I dont much care for this rewriting of history. Especially when Sony saw that they could no longer moneyhat FF and GTA, and decided to go invest in first party by buying up smaller 50-100 person studios like ND, GG, MM, SP, and evolution studios while taking SSM to new heights with expensive games like GOW. That is why they are where they are today. FF7 came and went and all everyone talked about that year was TLOU2 and Ghost of Tsushima. Sony is known far more for their first party they cultivated over the course of two decades than a bunch of FF moneyhats.

If MS wants to take a shortcut and buy up existing studios thats ok, but that is clearly different than what Sony did and what MS themselves did in the first ten years they were in this business.

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I think Xbox is placing a lot of trust in Game pass and I don't see how AAA games can stay sustainable with the service but we will see how this all plays out.

Just throw more money at it until the install base hits over 100 million.

To do this, they could buy up another smaller publisher. Possibly somebody like Capcom for example.

Next, start making Ganepass exclusive games. Want to play Elder Scrolls VI, which will be one of the biggest games of all time? Then you need to sign up to Gamepass.

After that, throw billions at third party publishers and get them to release all their games on Gamepass on day 1, with the guarantee the game never leaves the service.

If they do that, Ganepass will be the biggest money maker on Earth. They could easily hit over 200 million subs.

Of course, it would mean an increase in price, but with that service I'd pay whatever they demanded and I'd still beg to pay them more.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Exactly. Whats next? Is Sony going to be criticized for moneyhatting Crash? Tomb Raider? MGS? FF8 came on FOUR CDs. FOUR. How are you gonna get that in a cartridge.
This is exactly why I fail to see how Sony moneyhats as much as Xbox fans claim they do. Sony doesn't come to the publishers, the publishers come to sony, either because their hardware is better (MGS4, Final Fantasy 7) or because they're simply more popular. It's what happens when you're consistently top of the industry for almost 30 years.

If Xbox focused more on 1st party and tried to make their consoles look more appealing to other countries, they wouldn't be fighting this uphill battle they created for themselves. Phil has 2 trillions worth of backing that could easily change the fate of his brand and the gaming industry. My man needs to actually use it. I couldn't imagine sitting on a hotbed of that much potential and somehow have 0 exclusives for an entire year.

Last edited:

Neofire

And Microsoft has been saying COD will remain multiplat for or have you not been following it?
Yeah key word "multiplatform" they've only said that they would honor the current 3 year agreement (which they have to buy law) and nothing more. Considering how they switched things up when they bought Bethesda I don't trust any of those placating words they are releasing to appease the regulators skepticism until the deal is done.

Mephisto40

To do this, they could buy up another smaller publisher. Possibly somebody like Capcom for example.

Next, start making Ganepass exclusive games. Want to play Elder Scrolls VI, which will be one of the biggest games of all time? Then you need to sign up to Gamepass.

After that, throw billions at third party publishers and get them to release all their games on Gamepass on day 1, with the guarantee the game never leaves the service.

If they do that, Ganepass will be the biggest money maker on Earth. They could easily hit over 200 million subs.

Of course, it would mean an increase in price, but with that service I'd pay whatever they demanded and I'd still beg to pay them more.
And this is why you aren't in charge of xbox lol

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
This is exactly why I fail to see how Sony moneyhats as much as Xbox fans claim they do. Sony doesn't come to the publishers, the publishers come to sony, either because their hardware is better (MGS4, Final Fantasy 7, Crash) or because they're simply more popular. It's what happens when you're consistently top of the industry for almost 30 years.

If Xbox focused more on 1st party and tried to make their consoles look more appealing to other countries, they wouldn't be fighting this uphill battle they created for themselves. Phil has 2 trillions worth of backing that could easily change the fate of his brand and the gaming industry. My man needs to actually use it. I couldn't imagine sitting on a hotbed of that much potential and somehow have 0 exclusives for an entire year.
Yep. He had $3.5 billion to spend on Minecraft when they were supposedly close to killing Xbox. Like really? You had 3.5 billion and instead of funding more exclusives like Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall 1, Ryse, Scalebound, Fable, and the new IP from Coalition games that was already announced, you go and waste all of your budget on Minecraft?? Why?

I didnt care for Ryse but they couldve fixed the issues I had with combat. It was a legit next gen showpiece. They literally saved Titanfall after EA tried to cancel it and Sony passed on funding it. THAT is what a first party publisher does. Save games that would otherwise not get funded by third parties. Scalebound looked absolutely amazing. Fable was using Dynamic GI that we are only just now getting in UE5. And he cancels all these games instead of funding their sequels. Why couldnt they be the ones to make Spiderman with Insomniac? Why let them go back to Sony after you already signed them for a game?

In 2018, they announced Project Scarlett. They shouldve known then that they had no exclusives. Go out there and get every single dev making last gen trash to make next gen only games and fund it if third parties wont. Starfield and Avatar started dev in 2017. That is when all the games shouldve started dev. If he saw that third parties let alone first party were not ready, he shouldve pumped money into next gen exclusives just like Don Matrick did. And now? All hes done is take games away from Playstation. There is no a single new game from Zenimax or Activision Blizzard that Xbox wouldnt have been getting. Just a gigantic waste of money.

Yep. He had $3.5 billion to spend on Minecraft when they were supposedly close to killing Xbox. Like really? You had 3.5 billion and instead of funding more exclusives like Sunset Overdrive, Titanfall 1, Ryse, Scalebound, Fable, and the new IP from Coalition games that was already announced, you go and waste all of your budget on Minecraft?? Why?
It was 2.5 billion, and it wasn't exactly a waste? They sold something like 200 million copies since then, and Minecraft is a bigger franchise than ever. In hindsight, $2.5B was a steal.

johnjohn

Phil has 2 trillions worth of backing that could easily change the fate of his brand and the gaming industry. My man needs to actually use it. I couldn't imagine sitting on a hotbed of that much potential and somehow have 0 exclusives for an entire year.
Uhhh... What do you think this thread is about?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Why couldnt they be the ones to make Spiderman with Insomniac? Why let them go back to Sony after you already signed them for a game?
Holy shit this I agree with so much
If MS worked with insomniac more after the sunset deal, not only would Xbox have gotten the spiderman games, but the potential of a Sunset Overdrive 2 wouldn't be completely dead. Not to mention insomniac wouldn't be acquired by Sony.

So many opportunities to turn the Xbox One ship around and they missed almost every single one of them for a subscription service.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
It was 2.5 billion, and it wasn't exactly a waste? They sold something like 200 million copies since then, and Minecraft is a bigger franchise than ever. In hindsight, $2.5B was a steal.
Fair point, minecraft was certainly a great shot in the arm, but with all that new revenue coming from a reinvigorated minecraft, they could have used it to buy more studios and invest more into their first parties to prevent the cancelation of games like scalebound and fable

onesvenus

Is that not MS fault for not having good knowledge of the most beloved and popular third parties? They can afford ff7 remake, they are a 2 trillion dollar company. They should have better knowledge of what gamers want
People here think that third parties start a bidding war when someone approaches them to sign an exclusive game but I don't know where that comes from. Microsoft would get to know those deals once they are already signed, not before.

Kagey K

Banned
Yeah key word "multiplatform" they've only said that they would honor the current 3 year agreement (which they have to buy law) and nothing more. Considering how they switched things up when they bought Bethesda I don't trust any of those placating words they are releasing to appease the regulators skepticism until the deal is done.
They said they would extend it for 3 years beyond the current deal, which would put it to the '27-'28 range (depending if COD actually skips next year.) Instead of '24 or '25.

IDKFA

They will not lock games behind gamepass, the backlash would be biblical

It would also make no financial sense seeing how currently all Game pass games are available for normal retail purchase. Why block that for no reason? Game pass will always be an optional service.

Would there be a backlash? A lot of Xbox owners already have Gamepass. Making Elder Scrolls VI or a future COD would see subscription levels skyrocket.

phil_t98

#SonyToo

so you have-not been following it then, they said currant 3 year deal and 3 more after that. of coarse more negotiations could go on to extend it further

also if you read a lot of post on here a lot of Sony fans are convinced bungie won't stay multi platform

Last edited:

John Wick

Sony taking away from Apple? :messenger_tears_of_joy: Apple would spank them so hard they would have to come back begging on their knees to let them into their ecosystem.
Have they spanked Epic so hard? Now they are shitting themselves incase a judgement goes against them and the walled garden comes down.

Three

Quick question, which approach do you prefer and you find that is more pro gamer, based on recent game announcement;

Team ninja Wo Long - all platforms, gamepass day one (ms moneyhatting)
Team ninja Rise of Ronin - ps console exclusive, not available on other platforms (Sony moneyhatting)
Both are good. Rise of Ronin is a Sony published new game that Sony are funding.

Anybody who draws parallels between some timed exclusives and CoD, Elder Scrolls becoming exclusive or suggests MS doesn't do those exclusive moneyhats will always remain an asshat though.

Last edited:

John Wick

And Sony in the 90s had hundreds of millions for marketing and court all developers in, Microsoft in the other hand had to compete against a massively estabilished brand that had already won that generation at the start, you stop chatting shit.
Psygnosis had half or more of the European market, which why also Playstation has the biggest marketshare in Europe compared to Xbox. The original launch games for PS1 and Saturn were "complete in one seat" games that didn't really need the memory card, so for most people you were saving 50 dollars, even if I account the memory card which was more effect in terms of durability it would be roughly 25-30 dollars cheaper overall.
Are you stupid? It seems you are. Your saying on one hand Xbox had to compete with a massively established brand? Yet when Sony launched there were two massively established brands as well in Nintendo, Sega. Sony courted all those developers because their model changed the status quo that Nintendo had established. It bought CD-Rom and more freedom for developers. Nothing stopped MS and Xbox from courting developers and spending big when they launched Xbox.
The majority of games made by Psygnosis were developed for PS1 were after Sony bought them. Nothing was taken away. They were all new IP. A world of difference to MS buying AB.

Last edited:

Iced Arcade

Was always bewildered with your takes but I get it now. Joke accounts always go over my head.

Will Ferrell Lol GIF

John Wick

Yeah Sony bought Bungie for a laugh didn’t they
MS bought Bungie. Did you complain then? Bungie is just a developer and doesn't own loads of IP. MS are free to buy developers and they have. I haven't complained about them buying devs. World of difference when you buy AB and look to take all those multiplatforms games off the table etc.
Also Bungie and Sony confirmed Bungie would remain multiplatform. If this means PS and PC then Jimbo will be getting called out on it.

Last edited:

John Wick

How does Sony have any say in what another company can and can’t buy with their own money?

It’s like if I make more money than you and can afford a bigger house, you go complain of inequality and block the purchase because you can’t afford the same thing?
Are you being dense on purpose?
So we should allow one business to control everything just because they can afford to buy it? Then they can charge what they see fit as they have no competitors? You might want to look at Nvidia GPU prices? Or Intel CPU prices when AMD had nothing decent available.

John Wick

So in your past comments here where you’ve urged Sony to buy Fromsoftware, Square and Capcom, you’ve done that in the belief that their games would continue to ship on Xbox post acquisition?
FromSoftware? A dev? Sorry didn't realise they were the same size as AB and Bethesda and own the same amount of IP.
Square pretty much make games for Sony so not much lost there is there?
Capcom if MS buy AB. Why not? MS just bought 2 massive publishers. Obviously we know you don't want Sony to buy anyone and let MS buy whoever they want.

FromSoftware? A dev? Sorry didn't realise they were the same size as AB and Bethesda and own the same amount of IP.
Capcom if MS buy AB. Why not? MS just bought 2 massive publishers. Obviously we know you don't want Sony to buy anyone and let MS buy whoever they want.

No, It makes more sense to buy the publisher instead of doing one off deals considering Xbox's main goal. Xbox wants to grow game pass as much as they can and in order to grow any content subscriptions you need a consistent stream of content to get new subs and keep old subs. Buying the publisher guarantees them content now and in the future.

IMO it's the "run before you walk" saying just playing out IRL. Microsoft's had major issues in the past properly managing just five internal 1P teams; soon they're going to have 30+ 1P developers to manage. It could end up being too much on their plate and at that point, it doesn't matter if they want to buy publishers and developers because if management is insufficient you're still going to run into the same issue: lack of content.

Sony has a bigger install base and mindshare so they can't compete with Sony when it comes to getting the one off deals because Sony has more leverage in those negations because they have a bigger install base. MS/Xbox is using their biggest strength which is their endless pocket book lol.

1: It's not an endless pocket book. They're still bound to budgets, operating costs etc. as any other company and their market cap can fluctuate just like any other company's

2: It's not Sony's fault they built up their PlayStation brand over four generations in order to have a larger install base that effectively allows them to get lower prices for exclusivity deals than Microsoft. That's a result of their efforts over 20+ years.

Now, COD is very important to Sony because that game alone makes sony more profit in 1 year than God of war, TLOUS and GT7 can combined because sony doesn't have to spend money to make COD but playstation is the biggest platform for COD so if they lose COD they would lose billions of profit.

COD brings in a lot of money but not THAT much; PS as a division brings in around $3.5 billion - $4 billion annually in net profit. COD accounts for much less than 25% of PlayStation's total division revenue, same with their net profit.

Not saying it's insignificant; it's just not as much as you're making it out to be.

This is why they are fighting so hard to expand the rights to keep COD on PlayStation. Xbox claimed they will always keep it on Playstation publicly but Jim Ryan come out and said Phil told him it will be exclusive for at least 3 more years behind closed doors, hence the fall out that is now happening from that conversation.

Well that's part of it. The other reason is because the talks Jima and Phil were having were behind closed doors, as you said, but Microsoft have been making references to those discussions in public court proceedings hinting the IP will stay on PS platforms in perpetuity, which is causing a point of contention between Phil and Jim in their other discussions.

At the end of the day, once Xbox buys activision they don't need to let sony keep COD because they will own the IP and can do whatever they want with it but I would think it would make more financial sense to keep it on Playstation so they can continue to generate that revenue from PlayStation and reinvest it back into the development of the new COD games.

I agree; once the deal closes MS is free to do with COD (and in fact ALL ABK IP) as they see fit. However, since Phil's on record saying they'd want to bring COD to Nintendo platforms, and bring it back to Steam (which they've already started there IIRC), it would seem absolutely odd on MS to have COD on pretty much all platforms BUT PlayStation, without it looking as if they engaging in a targeted campaign against just one particular platform holder.

Agreed; IMO they have rushed aspects of their GamePass strategy too quickly. All 1P games Day 1 to the service should've been eased into. Tying pushes for Xbox content to GamePass should have been a lot more selective early on. GamePass as a service should've been rolled on top of XBL Gold instead of made as a competing value service. And some acquisitions geared to GP should've been tempered out better so they could get some results from earlier purchases to see if the strategy works well on a smaller scale before expanding so rapidly (hence why I think MS should chill on further acquisitions after ABK for a good five years).

However, it's the strategy and implementation of the strategy Microsoft have chosen, and we just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

They've already thrown $80 billion at it so far and have very little to show for it at this point. What good does buying another publisher (funny calling Capcom a "smaller" publisher; they may be in terms of market cap but in terms of fandom cache, especially among enthusiasts, their IP carry a lot more value than anything from ABK) do besides put even more food on their plate that's spilling over with food as-is? Plus they theoretically already have enough studios internally for regular GamePass content, so if this rapid spending for growth is really for Xbox and GamePass so they can "compete", as Satya's put it, then they should be good.

Unless that was a lie and it's really about hoarding up AAA resources and IP in the industry, starving out other platform holders and making them forcibly accept GamePass on their platform lest they lose out on once-3P content, and squeeze out other companies from being able to realistically enter the industry. In which case, hey go ahead and rush into buying Capcom. Go buy Square-Enix and Sega, too. Don't forget about EA and Ubisoft! 🙄

They will probably do this (I think Sony should consider this for PS+ as well for smaller releases to test the model), but it will absolutely not be for the big AAA releases like TES VI. Too risky, and too much potential loss in software revenue.

So you want MS to basically do Sony's approach of timed exclusivity (which MS technically perfected with the 360 gen and inspired Sony to follow suit, FWIW), just on steroids? Even while also buying up publishers? Again, if this is about "competition" as Satya Nadella just said, why go to such extremes?

Because at that point, it isn't competition. That's just starving out options for your competitor at that point, the opposite of fair competition.

Now you're just being delusional.

This has to be a rick roll post now, I'm sure of it.

Holy shit this I agree with so much
If MS worked with insomniac more after the sunset deal, not only would Xbox have gotten the spiderman games, but the potential of a Sunset Overdrive 2 wouldn't be completely dead. Not to mention insomniac wouldn't be acquired by Sony.

So many opportunities to turn the Xbox One ship around and they missed almost every single one of them for a subscription service.

Missing all of that, but getting Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 as Xbox exclusives on Game Pass day one in addition to all Bethesda studios is totally worth it... It's literally the ultimate come up. I consider both Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6 as a bigger deal than Spider-Man, as much as I enjoyed spider-man. This doesn't even factor in a future Fallout 5. And then getting Activision Blizzard and all its studios and IP? Whatever one wants to think about the opportunities Microsoft has ever lost in gaming with Xbox, they've gone out and secured far bigger and better opportunities if I'm being totally honest.

Ozriel

M$FT
Capcom if MS buy AB. Why not? MS just bought 2 massive publishers.

Let’s not shift goalposts. The entire premise of your previous comment was about ‘taking games away’. Sneaking in acquisition size is diversionary.

To repeat, you’ve made posts expressing hope that Sony makes all subsequent Souls, Street Fighter, Resident Evil and Final Fantasy games exclusive, yet insist Microsoft is evil for making the likes of Starfield exclusive. Isn’t that hypocritical?

Obviously we know you don't want Sony to buy anyone and let MS buy whoever they want.

You’d be hard pressed to bring out anything from my post history that confirms this statement.

Square’s upcoming Kingdom Hearts 4 and FF Crisis Core VII beg to differ

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch

Dance Lol GIF

Surely you jest?

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Obviously we know you don't want Sony to buy anyone and let MS buy whoever they want.

But you're literally saying the same in your post, just with the brands reversed ... you should see why multiple users are calling out the hypocrisy.

Here's why

duUMr3z.png

Square’s upcoming Kingdom Hearts 4 and FF Crisis Core VII beg to differ

To be fair, we don't know what platforms KH4 is coming on right now. There is a more than usual chance that Sony will pay Square a ton to keep it off of Xbox looking at other recent output like FFXVI, VII Remake, Valkyrie Elysium etc.

IDKFA

Now you're just being delusional.

This has to be a rick roll post now, I'm sure of it.

Dance Lol GIF

Surely you jest?

No. I'm being serious. I've been saying it for ages. If Microsoft paid third party publishers to release all their titles on GP day one, with the guarantee no game leaves the service, then I'd happily pay any amount Microsoft quotes.

Not a joke. Not a troll post. Not some attempt at the art of shit posting. 100% serious.

oldergamer

But you're literally saying the same in your post, just with the brands reversed ... you should see why multiple users are calling out the hypocrisy.

Here's why

duUMr3z.png

To be fair, we don't know what platforms KH4 is coming on right now. There is a more than usual chance that Sony will pay Square a ton to keep it off of Xbox looking at other recent output like FFXVI, VII Remake, Valkyrie Elysium etc.
Some people around are clueless on why that purchase made sense. The most simple explanation, is they make more money on spending a few billion and investing in games then they do letting it sit in the bank and collect interest.

MS had something like 200 billion sitting in the bank collecting interest. They have made that money back from Minecraft purchase and then some.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
MS bought Bungie. Did you complain then? Bungie is just a developer and doesn't own loads of IP. MS are free to buy developers and they have. I haven't complained about them buying devs. World of difference when you buy AB and look to take all those multiplatforms games off the table etc.
Also Bungie and Sony confirmed Bungie would remain multiplatform. If this means PS and PC then Jimbo will be getting called out on it.

haven't complained that bungie has been bought by anybody. Sony buys studios to, they don't just sit there making their own studios. Also Microsoft is releasing Overwatch 2 on PS they have said COD will remain on Ps so what's the issue. Sony if they had the money would buy publishers to how you can say they wouldn't I have no idea. if you look at thew forum lately its Sony should buy this or Sony should buy that. Sony has said they are not finished buying more studios so we know they are still shopping to make their studio portfolio bigger

Thabass

Here's why

duUMr3z.png

If they want Square titles to be exclusive so badly, they should just buy them.

Would there be a backlash? A lot of Xbox owners already have Gamepass. Making Elder Scrolls VI or a future COD would see subscription levels skyrocket.
Game pass is no where near bring 100% install base saturation. People who have Game pass can also purchase titles. MS would be leaving money on the table by making games Game pass only especially since being on Game pass gives those titles an additional discount. I own several Game pass games and the discount is always appreciated. Game pass exclusive titles makes no financial sense.

Ozriel

M$FT

Microsoft paid $2.5 billion for Minecraft, and it’s certainly one of the best deals they’ve ever made. Small price for what’s arguably the most successful game in the world.

More importantly, Minecraft was a Microsoft play, not an xbox play. No way in the world would Xbox have gotten that $2.5bn for game content investment at that time.

You’d have to be really out of the loop to sit here with the benefit of hindsight and scoff at paying just $2.5bn for Minecraft, an IP they’ve used for multiple things including education.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom