• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Then it is a dumb plan. Because you are complaining about something that there is a solution for already.

If I was in place of Sony, I would demand multiplatform status of other ABK franchises like Diablo, Overwatch, Crash etc. with similar deals.
PlayStation's plan is jut to make this as nasty as possible. they dont have any authority blocking or approving this deal.

Topher

Gold Member
Then it is a dumb plan. Because you are complaining about something that there is a solution for already.

If I was in place of Sony, I would demand multiplatform status of other ABK franchises like Diablo, Overwatch, Crash etc. with similar deals.

Jim Ryan wants to kill the deal entirely. Whether it is a "dumb plan" really won't be known for years.

Godot25

Banned
PlayStation's plan is jut to make this as nasty as possible. they dont have any authority blocking or approving this deal.
PlayStation's plan should be to have this deal blocked, or to get as much as they can as a concessions. But they are so focused on trying to blocking this deal through already solved arguments, than they can end up without games like Diablo V, that Blizzard survival game etc. etc. because of their obsession with Call of Duty which is not going anywhere...

Godot25

Banned
Jim Ryan wants to kill the deal entirely. Whether it is a "dumb plan" really won't be known for years.
Well. If they want to kill this deal, it isn't very good idea to beat the drum about problem that is already solved, right? I still don't understand why they are so focused on Call of Duty and are ignoring Overwatch, Diablo, Blizzard survival game, Crash, Spyro etc etc.

PlayStation's plan should be to have this deal blocked, or to get as much as they can as a concessions. But they are so focused on trying to blocking this deal through already solved arguments, than they can end up without games like Diablo V, that Blizzard survival game etc. etc. because of their obsession with Call of Duty which is not going anywhere...
and they will be fine with that (this is just performative).

Lyrical

Banned
Is Sony retarded?
I mean. Microsoft if offering legally enforceable 10-year deal for Call of Duty on PlayStation with "no PlayStation Plus block" clause with feature parity and Sony is still arguing that Microsoft is taking Call of Duty from PlayStation?

This is like going into store and complaining about price of something. And seller would offer you 20% off this product and also that he will bundle you some things as a bonus. And you are still complaining about original high price.

Just wow
Have you seen how well MW2 is selling on PlayStation? Xbox would ask for a lot of money for Sony to put the next COD on ps plus.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Is Sony retarded?
I mean. Microsoft if offering legally enforceable 10-year deal for Call of Duty on PlayStation with "no PlayStation Plus block" clause with feature parity and Sony is still arguing that Microsoft is taking Call of Duty from PlayStation?

This is like going into store and complaining about price of something. And seller would offer you 20% off this product and also that he will bundle you some things as a bonus. And you are still complaining about original high price.

Just wow
Come on now.

Call of Duty is the franchise with biggest revenue on playstation, and its a third party game so Sony literally get the game with no effort.

Losing your number one cash cow in ten years world also make me cry like a spoiled brat to EU.

Topher

Gold Member
Well. If they want to kill this deal, it isn't very good idea to beat the drum about problem that is already solved, right? I still don't understand why they are so focused on Call of Duty and are ignoring Overwatch, Diablo, Blizzard survival game, Crash, Spyro etc etc.

Because Call of Duty is the only real argument they have. Overwatch and Diablo aren't going to make waves with regulators. Crash and Spyro? Come on. The reality here is Sony doesn't have a very good position here. So if you only have one drum then that's the one you've got to beat.

aries_71

I’m amazed to see how most of you fail to understand how massive COD is and how important is to Microsoft Gamepass strategy. All those mentions about things like Diablo, Crash or Spyro are just laughable. Even Starfield is peanuts. Who talks or cares about Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 compared to a juggernaut such every year COD? This deal won’t go ahead if MS is not able to put COD on gamepass.

feynoob

Banned
Just in case if I miss the fun.
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Pelta88

please tell me this will end it in Europe. either make or break it.

Unfortunately, I got some really bad news for you...

What's expected is a statement of objections to the acquisition forcing Microsoft to the negotiating table. They can't just walk away unless the CMA forces them to by blocking the deal outright. Microsoft has 2/3 Billion on the line if this deal fails so walking away isn't an easy option despite the regulatory opposition.

Last edited:

Three

Who talks or cares about Fallout 4 or Fallout 76 compared to a juggernaut such every year COD? This deal won’t go ahead if MS is not able to put COD on gamepass.
And this is where regulators are calling MS bluff about this being about mobile. The reason Sony are discussing CoD with regulators is because I believe that's what their actual concerns are so if the regulators have good enforced remedies for equal access they would be OK with it.

Last edited:

reksveks

please tell me this will end it in Europe. either make or break it.

no offense but I am tired of people arguing both sides about the same points in every page. just new faces about the same exact points. lol

Just want to see salty teats from either side lol.
A statement of objection doesn't end the process, it will be indicative of whether MS can or can't offer concessions to overcome the concerns. It could be that the concerns are too big for Microsoft to offer the required concessions.

feynoob

Banned
According to Resetera, if CMA, EU and FTC blocks the deal, MS will ignore them and go ahead with the acquisition and not only that. MS will turn violent and buy capcom/Square enix, EA and Take Two as well.
All it needs is one regulators and that is CMA.
They block it, and this deal is dead.
MS isn't going to risk going against EU.
They will be broken down, if they do that.

X-Wing

According to Resetera, if CMA, EU and FTC blocks the deal, MS will ignore them and go ahead with the acquisition and not only that. MS will turn violent and buy capcom/Square enix, EA and Take Two as well.
Sure... Because companies have never been before been forced to breakup when antitrust practices are in place.

Pelta88

Microsoft would have to pay billions in yearly fines. A really stupid take to be honest. But era is going to era.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
I know it won't happen, but imagine if the deal doesn't go through, then Acti Blizzard disbandz, selling their IPs for cheap which Microsoft buys, and re-hire everyone under Microsoft.

The regulators would be like
78zxq3.jpg

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I know it won't happen, but imagine if the deal doesn't go through, then Acti Blizzard disbandz, selling their IPs for cheap which Microsoft buys, and re-hire everyone under Microsoft.

The regulators would be like
78zxq3.jpg
Activision is not a struggling company. In fact, they would not be allowed to "disband," legally, with that factor of note.
Make-Up Meme GIF by Justin

Last edited:

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Probably in reality they will abandon the deal and just sign an exclusive deal for CoD or even just buy that IP for a few billion, that would be maximum impact for their $ and I'm not sure regulators could stop that?

X-Wing

Probably in reality they will abandon the deal and just sign an exclusive deal for CoD or even just buy that IP for a few billion, that would be maximum impact for their $ and I'm not sure regulators could stop that?
If Microsoft was interested in that, and if Activision was interested in making CoD exclusive that deal would have happened a long time ago already. Microsoft wants a monopoly that doesn't allow for competitors to grow, they won't get that with just CoD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom