• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Elios83

Where is statement?
Soldier Where Is It GIF by U.S. Army
I thought there was a time window between Jan 27th and early February? Or that was the CMA?
I don't know if they committed to a particular day. In any case it's 17:44 in Europe right now so if it was scheduled for today maybe it's delayed.

feynoob

Banned
I thought there was a time window between Jan 27th and early February? Or that was the CMA?
I don't know if they committed to a particular day. In any case it's 17:44 in Europe right now so if it was scheduled for today maybe it's delayed.
It might be possible.
Or maybe they entered negotiation with MS and decided not to release it.

This secrecy and delays is annoying.
I wish we can get a concrete news for once.

reksveks

This was from a couple of either Bloomberg/Reuters stories about how the EC was supposed to be dropping the SO in the next couple of weeks like 2 weeks ago. Most people assumed that it would be end of this week.

Late Jan and Early Feb is the CMA guideline for notification of provisional finding and potential remedies.

Drell

Tencent and SNK do not buy multiplatform companies to reduce their competitors' gaming library and making the acquired company's games exclusive.

In other words, their acquisitions are not anti-competitive.
I agree about them not being anti-competitive. But each of them brings other problems:
-Tencent, as a chinese company, is forced by their law to share all their data with the chinese governement. Maybe i'm not expressing that correctly but I know there's some kind of law that allow china to spy on foreign countries using companies they have part in.
-For SNK and any other company where Saudi Arabia or any other rich middle eastern country invested, i'm worried about them being muslim dictatorial countries. Financing salafism and shady quranic schools all over Europe and US. Not to mention islamic terrorism.

Elios83

This was from a couple of either Bloomberg/Reuters stories about how the EC was supposed to be dropping the SO in the next couple of weeks like 2 weeks ago. Most people assumed that it would be end of this week.

Late Jan and Early Feb is the CMA guideline for notification of provisional finding and potential remedies.
Ok so it was just an assumption. And the late Jan/early February I also remembered was about the CMA.
I don't think anything is happening today, it's too late in the evening already.

reksveks

Tencent, as a chinese company, is forced by their law to share all their data with the chinese governement. Maybe i'm not expressing that correctly but I know there's some kind of law that allow china to spy on foreign countries using companies they have part in.
Kinda very wrong, the law is basically that the CCP has to have the ability to have access to data that goes through Chinese servers through local Chinese servers. Extremely concerning but very different to what you wrote.

reksveks

You guys know that the statement is confidential and only delivered to Microsoft, right?
We know the actual SO is confidential but the EC does have PR for when they given companies SO

But its not the same, if you can't understand that then not sure what to add. You can assume that the CCP is pressuring EGS to give a backdoor to their servers in EU/NA but that's a different topic not related to what the law is.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
We know the actual SO is confidential but the EC does have PR for when they given companies SO

But its not the same, if you can't understand that then not sure what to add. You can assume that the CCP is pressuring EGS to give a backdoor to their servers in EU/NA but that's a different topic not related to what the law is.
Anything that travels through China's servers will be monitored. These are the people that disappear you.

reksveks

Anything that travels through China's servers will be monitored. These are the people that disappear you.
Aka what I said

the law is basically that the CCP has to have the ability to have access to data that goes through Chinese servers through local Chinese servers.

Not what Drell said

but I know there's some kind of law that allow china to spy on foreign countries using companies they have part in

It's still shit.

It's not like we don't have Prism in the US anyway.

Yep, the big difference is in theory that courts should be pushing back on request for access to the mass surveillance data but they don't.

feynoob

Banned
Sad news fellas.

https://iclg.com/practice-areas/merger-control-laws-and-regulations/european-union
If the further investigation reveals that the transaction will not significantly impede effective competition (see question 4.1), the EC will adopt a decision clearing the transaction. In contrast, if the investigation confirms that the transaction will significantly impede effective competition, the EC will start work on a so-called "statement of objections" ("SO"), setting out its findings and conclusions in detail.

Before it issues the SO, however, DG COMP will hold another "state of play" meeting with the notifying parties.At or shortly after that meeting, the notifying parties may be able to avoid issuance of the SO if they signal a willingness to submit remedies and proceed forthwith to do so. If the notifying parties do not do so, the EC will issue the SO, which is confidential, to its addressees. It issues an SO in about 40% of phase II cases, and usually does so no later than seven or eight weeks into phase II. The notifying parties then have an opportunity to reply in writing to the SO and can request an oral hearing.

POKEYCLYDE

According to Resetera, if CMA, EU and FTC blocks the deal, MS will ignore them and go ahead with the acquisition and not only that. MS will turn violent and buy capcom/Square enix, EA and Take Two as well.
The prevailing opinion is if CMA and EU approve, Microsoft will close the deal on the FTC, forcing them to file a federal injunction or let the deal pass.

If it is blocked, that pretty much blocks any acquisition of the other major publishers with must have titles (like GTA, Fifa, Fortnite, etc.)

I have seen some salty fan boys say if the deal is blocked that Microsoft should moneyhat all 3rd party titles going forward with the billions they have, but others say they should just go for smaller publishers like Sega where regulators won't have any issues with it.

Your gross misrepresentation of what's actually going on over on Era just tells me you're probably super salty that you got banned for devolving into insults when your arguments couldn't stand up to disagreement.

Edmund

The prevailing opinion is if CMA and EU approve, Microsoft will close the deal on the FTC, forcing them to file a federal injunction or let the deal pass.

If it is blocked, that pretty much blocks any acquisition of the other major publishers with must have titles (like GTA, Fifa, Fortnite, etc.)

I have seen some salty fan boys say if the deal is blocked that Microsoft should moneyhat all 3rd party titles going forward with the billions they have, but others say they should just go for smaller publishers like Sega where regulators won't have any issues with it.

Your gross misrepresentation of what's actually going on over on Era just tells me you're probably super salty that you got banned for devolving into insults when your arguments couldn't stand up to disagreement.

You sound so uptight lmao. I know "Gamepass needs feeding" and all that. I was just trying to inject a little humour and what I said is actually true. Some of the guys there are saying MS will go scorched earth and buy up everything if the deal gets blocked.

And joke's on you. I don't even have an account at era. Lol. Go have a drink or something. Imagine being so upset over my post lol. You must really love gamepass a lot.

NickFire

They allow disagreement over there? On what specifically? Coke or Pepsi? :messenger_tears_of_joy: at anyone defending a place that bans Harry Potter talk to save the world or whatever.

Anyway, jokes aside, who is responsible for the fake news that we would get a statement of objections a couple hours ago? Have they been properly flogged yet?

Topher

Gold Member
Isn’t this forum a little obsessed with Era? I would swear every thread on NeoGAF has a mention on it, sooner or later. Does this happen the other way around?

A lot of information in this thread is coming from one person and one thread in Era. Otherwise, Era is mentioned just in pointing out their general idiocy, but no it isn't "every thread".

Last edited:

Edmund

Isn’t this forum a little obsessed with Era? I would swear every thread on NeoGAF has a mention on it, sooner or later. Does this happen the other way around?

They can't even mention the word neogaf or they'll get banned lol. They refer to us as "the other place" or "that old place".

We've become the Voldermort of gaming forums! Lol

They must believe that lightning will strike them if they dared type out the cursed word NEOGAF!!!!!

Last edited:

POKEYCLYDE

You sound so uptight lmao. I know "Gamepass needs feeding" and all that. I was just trying to inject a little humour and what I said is actually true. Some of the guys there are saying MS will go scorched earth and buy up everything if the deal gets blocked.

And joke's on you. I don't even have an account at era. Lol. Go have a drink or something. Imagine being so upset over my post lol. You must really love gamepass a lot.
When met with disagreement, resort to insults. I'm sure you may have seen one user say something ludicrous like Microsoft should buy all the publishers. But mischaracterizing an entire thread based on one user's opinion is immature. I've seen user's in this thread say if this acquistion goes through Sony should buy Take Two, SE, Capcom, EA and Konami. But placing one person's dumb opinion on the entirety of this forum is childish.

I joined both sites a month or 2 ago because I wanted to discuss the acquistion. I actually joined Neogaf first but was unaware that using a personal email would make the approval process so much slower.
They allow disagreement over there? On what specifically? Coke or Pepsi? :messenger_tears_of_joy: at anyone defending a place that bans Harry Potter talk to save the world or whatever.

Anyway, jokes aside, who is responsible for the fake news that we would get a statement of objections a couple hours ago? Have they been properly flogged yet?
I almost exclusively post in the acquistion thread. I think it is super dumb to not allow conversation around Hogwarts Legacy. I'm not saying the other website isn't messed up, just from my limited experience ONLY in that acquisition thread, that there is healthy conversation (even if it is more of an echo chamber), there are still anti-acqusition opinions and to say that those opinions are banned is just flat out wrong.

reksveks

Didn’t Stray and Kena release on PC?
Might want to reference first party games, best example maybe something like Predator. Yeah, the current convention would be that PC players gets it a bit later

This forum is a bit obsessed with Era, similarly Twitter. I think there is stupidity in both places and also here but can't say which is worse. Everyone of the three has stupid culture war crap.

Yeah, the characteristic of MS 'turn violent and going to buy out X publishers' being the position of Resetera as implied in that post, feels a bit disingenuous. I would ask for evidence but i feel like it would be lacking outside of one or two posts and a bit impossible.

Anyways, off I go to see City bring Arsenal back down a peg or two.

Edmund

When met with disagreement, resort to insults. I'm sure you may have seen one user say something ludicrous like Microsoft should buy all the publishers. But mischaracterizing an entire thread based on one user's opinion is immature. I've seen user's in this thread say if this acquistion goes through Sony should buy Take Two, SE, Capcom, EA and Konami. But placing one person's dumb opinion on the entirety of this forum is childish.

I joined both sites a month or 2 ago because I wanted to discuss the acquistion. I actually joined Neogaf first but was unaware that using a personal email would make the approval process so much slower.

I almost exclusively post in the acquistion thread. I think it is super dumb to not allow conversation around Hogwarts Legacy. I'm not saying the other website isn't messed up, just from my limited experience ONLY in that acquisition thread, that there is healthy conversation (even if it is more of an echo chamber), there are still anti-acqusition opinions and to say that those opinions are banned is just flat out wrong.

Can you just relax? It's just videogames! Lmao!!!!!! You sound so invested in this whole thing.
Whether the deal goes through or not, life goes on! And we'll still continue to play and enjoy games!

Breathe!! Everything will be ok!!

jm89

In no way will there be healthy discussion when you create an echo chamber.

You don't need to ban folks when you've created such a hostile environent that folks don't even want to enter.

NickFire

Perhaps there is some level of conversation on that specific topic, but I'll never believe there's a healthy conversation to be had when the most innocuous acknowledgments of this site, Harry Potter, or reality can get someone banned.

And that's all I have to say about that.

POKEYCLYDE

In no way will there be healthy discussion when you create an echo chamber.

You don't need to ban folks when you've created such a hostile environent that folks don't even want to enter.
It's more of an echo chamber in that there are more pro-acquisition users than anti, and I wouldn't say the thread over there is hostile, just healthy debate.

Pelta88

There is a harsh contrast on era when it comes to things of that nature. In the XBOX OT they frequently post a podcaster/podcast (who I wont name) who has rants calling Sony fans gender slurs.

But Hogwarts can't be discussed or have an OT?

I post less and less on era. The mods are trying to steer the conversation in XBOX's favour and that's the underlying narrative. When someone showed me, the deets I signed up here. because here, I can say "Phil is terrible at his job" and at worse, have a discussion. The same sentence there will get you a thread ban.

Last edited:

POKEYCLYDE

There is a harsh contrast on era when it comes to things of that nature. In the XBOX OT they frequently post a podcaster/podcast (who I wont name) who has rants calling Sony fans gender slurs.

But Hogwarts can't be discussed?

I post less and less on era. The mods are trying to steer the conversation in XBOX favour. I can say Phil is terrible at his job here and at worse have a discussion. The same sentence there will get you a thread ban.
I don't use the site really past that one thread. Same here. And I 1000% agree that the Hogwarts thing is ridiculous.

I tried joining here first because there was a greater mix of anti vs pro-acquisition opinions. I can't speak to Era as a whole, but the acquisition thread, as long as you don't devolve into console warring or insults, you're free to state why you don't think the acquisition should go through and you can engage in healthy debate.

I don't use the site really past that one thread. Same here. And I 1000% agree that the Hogwarts thing is ridiculous.

I tried joining here first because there was a greater mix of anti vs pro-acquisition opinions. I can't speak to Era as a whole, but the acquisition thread, as long as you don't devolve into console warring or insults, you're free to state why you don't think the acquisition should go through and you can engage in healthy debate.
you have a vivi

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom