• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
An excerpt from the Sony's response to Microsoft's subpoena to the FTC:

f37gGis.jpg

iw5NUeC.jpg

WOW!
Their "word" can never be trusted. CMA knows this.

If it's not in writing with mutual agreement and zero loopholes, then piss off. As it always should be.

Last edited:

Dr_Ifto

As i've said before, Sony likely gamed out the outcomes of what could happen should the deal be blocked and not blocked, and figured this would be the perfect opportunity to do this. This deal leaves them in a win/win situation no matter how it plays out.

This right here is pretty accurate. Before they had 3 years to work with CoD, not they will get at least 10 out of the deal if it goes through, and if it doesnt, they will get the status quo. So its win win right now.

This right here is pretty accurate. Before they had 3 years to work with CoD, not they will get at least 10 out of the deal if it goes through, and if it doesnt, they will get the status quo. So its win win right now.
Yup! Precisely. At the very least, there is almost no scenario in which this deal goes through and Sony doesn't walk away, at minimum, with a 10-year deal in place for CoD, potentially even inclusion in PS+ should they want it. It'll effectively cripple the timescale by which MS will be able to maximize their potential benefits of this buyout, and allow Sony a maximum amount of time to allow their own live-service titles, some of which are FPS and were set to compete directly with CoD anyway, giving them some much needed breathing room.

Last edited:
Yeah, the judge agreed with Sony and quashed the request by Microsoft -- along with a bunch of other unreasonable requests. Pretty much agreed with Sony on all points.
See, exactly what I spelled out when discussing why Sony was fighting all subpeona requests prior: MS was always going to overreach on their requests, and in legal terms they are encouraged to do so, cause it grants you both legal pressure and public pressure if its a high-profile case. Ofc Sony was going to fight to limit the scope of the subpoena and lower it down to what the judge feels is relevant to this case and nothing more.

Hypothetically, who could actually buy Activision?

We know it can't be a platform holder, for obvious reasons, so Sony, Nintendo, Amazon, Epic, Valve can't be considered, so who's left?

EA, TakeTwo, Embracer Group, Tencent? They're the only ones supporting multiple store fronts and are device agnostics.
Disagree with the assessment.

Nintendo could probably buy them if they wanted to.

Amazon absolutely... Google, Tencent, or Apple as well.

Epic and Valve don't have enough money.

EA would need to do a merger. T2 doesn't have enough money either. Doubt Embracer has enough.

X-Wing

Sony did spend a lot of money on economists and lawyers so they could and did very well meet with regulators, over and over, to the point that in the documents from the CMA they literally cite findings that came directly from Sony.

Not saying Sony has the CMA in their pocket or the deal wouldn't be scrutinized without their pushback, but that Tweet isn't as far fetched as you're making it sound.

Even if that's true, Microsoft has spent a lot more lobbying the same regulators for years, and will keep doing it. So Microsoft acting shocked is just another hypocritical act from one of the scummiest companies in the world.

IFireflyl

Gold Member
Last edited:
Even if the deal falls through I want MS to fight tooth and nail. This thread is gold and it needs more content.
They are contractually obligated to do so. The merger agreement signed between both parties has a good faith clause: if either party can be observed as being against the deal publicly, or not putting in what they deem to be 'adequate' effort to insure it goes through, then they open themselves up to breach of contract and can be sued over it. This applies to both MS and ATVI. This is why you saw Nadella and Kotick go on all the financial media outlets to shit talk the UK/CMA.

They are contractually obligated to do so. The merger agreement signed between both parties has a good faith clause: if either party can be observed as being against the deal publicly, or not putting in what they deem to be 'adequate' effort to insure it goes through, then they open themselves up to breach of contract and can be sued over it. This applies to both MS and ATVI. This is why you saw Nadella and Kotick go on all the financial media outlets to shit talk the UK/CMA.
Happy Daniel Bryan GIF by WWE

reksveks

That document isn't on the FTC website that I can see.
Think it is the same document that I have linked but may be misinterpreted that the judge has signed it.

DmeVPWy.jpg

Only one signed order today and one yesterday, Google and Nintendo extensions.

Last edited:
The MAU number isn’t a lie per say. It’s just outside of their Xbox ecosystem, they count all the people playing Bethesda games and Minecraft on other ecosystems like Steam and PlayStation.

They do this to impress their shareholders who don’t understand where the numbers come from.

It’s MS what do you expect?
I'm an actual MS shareholder and I'm not impressed. I've been unhappy that MS wastes money on the Xbox division with no obvious goal for years now. They can use the money they spend on Xbox in better ways.

reksveks

I'm an actual MS shareholder and I'm not impressed. I've been unhappy that MS wastes money on the Xbox division with no obvious goal for years now. They can use the money they spend on Xbox in better ways.
Yeah but they have imo made two great purchases/investments in github and openai.

Also LinkedIn is turning out to be useful for them so for ever ehh/shit thing, they do seem to pull something out of the bag.

If Alphabet does also have issues re the adtech monopoly, MS will be laughing re their purchase of Xandr (currently it's a ehh buy)

X-Wing

Yeah but they have imo made two great purchases/investments in github and openai.

Also LinkedIn is turning out to be useful for them so for ever ehh/shit thing, they do seem to pull something out of the bag.

If Alphabet does also have issues re the adtech monopoly, MS will be laughing re their purchase of Xandr (currently it's a ehh buy)

Yeah the GitHub acquisition was great for them but horrible for opensource, and they made it worse with CoPilot and all the issues it raises with copyleft licenses. Of course Microsoft doesn't care about opensource at all and don't care about screwing open source projects over.

feynoob

Gold Member

MS has a very mixed reputation for acquisitions. Some work out, but many do not.

Danger and Nokia (phone division) spring to mind as some of the worst boondoggles. 2 acquisitions that were written off as worthless within a few years. MS eventually entirely gave up on the phone business when Satya took over and axed the whole thing, which was greeted with a sigh of relief from shareholders because they burned so much money for so many years and accomplished absolutely nothing.

Last edited:

reksveks

Yeah the GitHub acquisition was great for them but horrible for opensource, and they made it worse with CoPilot and all the issues it raises with copyleft licenses.
I think copilot should have referencing but think it's a net good personally. I do understand the concerns behind 'generative ai/systems' ripping of people's works and not giving financial rewards or credit. We are going to have to legislate for this.

Danger and Nokia (phone division) spring to mind as some of the worst boondoggles. 2 acquisitions that were entirely written off as worthless within a few years. MS eventually entirely gave up on the phone business, which was greeted with a sigh of relief from shareholders because they burned so much money and accomplished absolutely nothing.
The lumia range was decent, the base os was good but once they couldn't get devs to buy in. they should have given up sooner and moved onto their current strategy of having decent apps on android.

Oh shit, so you’re telling me the court is in on this conspiracy with Sony and the regulators too!!! Poor MS.
I am not sure the judge has agreed to anything yet.

Sony on the 9th https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/ft...on-to-quash-or-limit-subpoena-duces-tecum.pdf

MS on the 7th
https://www.ftc.gov/system/files/ft...f-time-to-move-to-limit-or-quash-subpoena.pdf

Last edited:
The lumia range was decent, the base os was good but once they couldn't get devs to buy in. they should have given up sooner and moved onto their current strategy of having decent apps on android.
Their "strategy" for Windows Phone was absolutely insane. They kept on rebooting the platform over and over, making the old ones instantly obsolete. Windows Mobile -> Windows Phone 7 -> Windows Phone 8 -> Windows 10 Mobile and every single new one was incompatible with the old one. What the actual fuck was MS doing? Why would any app devs bother making apps for a platform that kept on being burned down and rebuilt seemingly every year?

Anyways, I'll try to be a little on topic here. MS has a bad reputation for acquisitions. I worry for the studios they have acquired recently, because all the previous studios they have acquired were shut down and ceased to exist after they didn't produce the big blockbusters MS demanded. Anyone remember Ensemble Studios (Age of Empires)? Rare? And now it looks like 343 Interactive, which they founded to make more Halos after Bungie bounced, is being gutted. The Coalition is probably next since Gears is not selling anymore. I don't have high hopes for all these new acquisitions, especially Bethesda is going to be under a lot of pressure to make sure Starfield and The Elder Scrolls VI are huge mega-blockbusters and if they don't succeed the way MS wants, that's going to be a bad day for Todd Howard.

Last edited:

feynoob

Gold Member
What happened to Microsoft wanting to sing kumbaya with Sony? There’s going to be some serious animosity after this. It’s gone beyond a professional situation at this point.
It was gone the moment both companies couldn't reach an agreement with COD.
The relationship is very sour and beyond repair as time goes on.
If this deal fails, god help us.

reksveks

Their "strategy" for Windows Phone was absolutely insane. They kept on rebooting the platform over and over, making the old ones instantly obsolete. Windows Mobile -> Windows Phone 7 -> Windows Phone 8 -> Windows 10 Mobile and every single new one was incompatible with the old one. What the actual fuck was MS doing? Why would any app devs bother making apps for a platform that kept on being burned down and rebuilt seemingly every year?
No one was developing for it anyways, no one developed for Fire OS phone or the short lived Tizen phone. I do think they fucked up buying Nokia but they just got played by Android so very well.

GHG

Gold Member
What happened to Microsoft wanting to sing kumbaya with Sony? There’s going to be some serious animosity after this. It’s gone beyond a professional situation at this point.

That was always just a front.

Considering their obsession with Sony, both in terms of the subpoena and their submissions to all the various regulators I think they thought they could easily handle them throughout this process. They clearly haven't, and to make matters worse the likes of Google and Nvidia have come weighing in, something I don't think they expected.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in their offices in the last 48 hours.

spicy tongue GIF

Banjo64

cumsessed
That was always just a front.

Considering their obsession with Sony, both in terms of the subpoena and their submissions to all the various regulators I think they thought they could easily handle them throughout this process. They clearly haven't, and to make matters worse the likes of Google and Nvidia have come weighing in, something I don't think they expected.

I'd like to have been a fly on the wall in their offices in the last 48 hours.

spicy tongue GIF
This was the birth of their product, and I truly believe that when this is your initial primary motivation it pervades everything and lasts forever. Everything else is a lie, and this is always the end game.

"'What about Sony?' and he says, 'Sony is slowly invading the living room with a processor here software there, they could be a threat to Microsoft.'"

Gates and Ballmer stared at each other. "Yeah," Gates said. "What about Sony?"

Gates turned to the Xbox team and promised to give them everything they needed to create their console, Windows or no Windows. Ballmer echoed the chairman's vow.

GHG

Gold Member
This was the birth of their product, and I truly believe that when this is your initial primary motivation it pervades everything and lasts forever. Everything else is a lie, and this is always the end game.

"'What about Sony?' and he says, 'Sony is slowly invading the living room with a processor here software there, they could be a threat to Microsoft.'"

Gates and Ballmer stared at each other. "Yeah," Gates said. "What about Sony?"

Gates turned to the Xbox team and promised to give them everything they needed to create their console, Windows or no Windows. Ballmer echoed the chairman's vow.

If that's what underpins their reason for existence then they are fucked.

Let me put it this way, if Sony were to cease to exist then other than money, what motivates them?

All of that goes some way to explaining why they have failed to carve out a niche or even an identity for themselves the whole time they've been in the console industry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom