• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zephyrus0

Banned
Already talking about MS acquiring Konami/Capcom etc at Era lol and people wanna pretend this is about leveling playing fields, fanboys are quite the animal
Hope to god MS never buys capcom or square enix.
I wouldn't even mind ABK buyout if it wasn't for the precedent it'll set because I don't care about their games. Same for zenimax.
But capcom and square enix? That one would hurt.
But these consolidations are where we're heading towards.

People ignore the goal of MS's purchases. Lock the western market by buying the biggest 3rd party games.
The elder scrolls, fallout, call of duty... That's their goal.
Despite how well received sony's first parties are, both critically and sales wise, they alone won't save sony from the eventual bow out. Sony isn't nintendo.
Nintendo dominates the japanese market. Microsoft intends to dominate the western.
Nintendo has a legion of fans willing to buy even cardboard for 60 dollars. Nintendo has hugely influencial IP's with decades of pedigree.
Sony doesn't have that.

Zephyrus0

Banned
I said nothing about good guys. Business is business but I am saying your narrative about them extinguishing anything is complete nonsense. Why you keep bringing up Psygnosis God knows maybe you get more PlayStation Stars points. (Am I doing this right?)
Mate, just say you're oblivious to what you're talking about. There's no shame in that. Majority of people will even respect you more because atleast you're aware and willing to listen.
Otherwise you'll just get piled on and made fun of.

Zephyrus0

Banned
People still arguing for “forever contracts” 😆🤡

The hoops people will jump through. If “forever contracts” were a thing then why don’t they already exist for some franchises. Why don’t they exist in other things. Why do sports stars sign five year deals if they plan on playing another fifteen? Why do content providers sign one-three year deals with Netflix if they still plan on existing and providing content after those three years.

MS doesn’t really need to provide jack squat but they’re doing so to make it obvious they are treating CoD like Minecraft.
No, they are doing it to make it seem like they'll treat it like Minecraft.
In reality their goal is to do what they're doing to Starfield, Doom, Fallout and the Elder Scrolls.
Want to play those on a console? Buy a xbox.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm sick of all you fuckers....

tOwAFcH.png

sainraja

I don't block anyone, personally.

It's a lying ass fanboy FUD narrative to try to paint one mega corp super altruistic and a victim to the lesser mega corp.
Haha, I only have two people on my list. :D

I don't really block people either, and the first person that I did it with was just to see what doing it looked like (did it recently), but I made sure it was with someone who I have seen repeatedly be two-faced.

If anyone wants a good laugh, just head over to the era thread. The brainwashing is crazy. Anyone who had an opinion that was against the acquisition was banned and now the thread is an echochamber of pro acquisition warriors. The arrogance aswell. They think everybody else is wrong and has no understanding while they are the experts in all aspects of life, when in reality they can't understand basic shit that my 8 year old nephew could.

If anyone wants a good laugh, just head over to the era thread. The brainwashing is crazy. Anyone who had an opinion that was against the acquisition was banned and now the thread is an echochamber of pro acquisition warriors. The arrogance aswell. They think everybody else is wrong and has no understanding while they are the experts in all aspects of life, when in reality they can't understand basic shit that my 8 year old nephew could.
Everyone in era hate that stupid thread to be honest
Only the pro acquisition are allowed to post in that asylum lol

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I would say that the chances are that whatever is being planned for the next round of hardware is probably fairly easy for both Sony and Microsoft to predict, and perhaps that was not a great example, the point is that no business can make a pledge like that forever, you'd have to be crazy to think that asking for the game to be available forever through every iteration of Sony's hardware no matter what they do is reasonable.

It's not a cop out, I'd say it's a really reasonable commitment. If they'd bought Activision ten years ago, they'd be talking about releasing games on PS3, PS4 and PS5.
But you see my point, right? You said yourself that COD will always be multiplatform. Yet MS is not holding itself liable to it.

PS6 is as much real as a PS7 or PS8 is. Nobody knows what it's going to have. What if Sony pulls a PS3?

If MS is taking a chance on that, there is no reason they can't extend the deal to forever, or 20 or 30 years. People claim "it's not possible," but it totally is.

Their verbal statements always implied forever. "‘Call Of Duty’ Will Be On PlayStation As Long As There Is A PlayStation, says Phil Spencer." Yet they are not willing to submit it in writing. Why?

There is a clear disconnect between what they are saying and what they are making themselves legally binding to. It's a big reason why people aren't willing to trust Microsoft. And rightly so.

Everyone in era hate that stupid thread to be honest
Only the pro acquisition are allowed to post in that asylum lol

That's how you create an echochamber. Ban and silence any opposing views. There was some actual discussion in that thread at the start, until those cowardly mods decided to ban anyone who wasn't for the acquisition. I've seen people banned even though they respectfully stated their opinion. It's madness.

jm89

How confident are you the deal will go through or fail percentage wise?
50%

That percentage will drop every week if CMA isn't delaying their decision date. The EU having an extension to the final decision due to negotiating the remedies and CMA not having one doesn't bode well for an approval from the CMA, considering CMA will probably be much more strict on the behavioural remedies it accepts.

Last edited:

Tomeru

It definitely isn't.

They could do more damage to Sony's market share by buying half a dozen or more publishers instead of Activision. And they'd be able to do it for less money too.
If this is going to be one of those convos where you say one thing, I replay, then you post a rebuttal by adding something you didn't say at first?

If so, I'm out. Have fun.

Topher

Gold Member
what makes you so sure? that it will go through? just curious

I think Microsoft's lawyers are going to find a way to make the regulators happy. Specifically, the CMA. MS is showing they will do pretty much whatever it takes outside of divestiture. My gut tells me it won't come to that.

With what concessions?

Whatever behavioral remedies that are required. I know CMA has indicated that may not be enough, but I they will cave eventually. Everyone and their grandma are going to have 10 year deals before this is over.

Dance Dancing GIF

So tell me this. Why didn’t Steam sign the 10 year deal contract with ms. Why are there no current contracts with ABK. Why don’t we hear any developers or publishers signing any set amount of years with Steam. Where are the 10 year deals with Apple when releasing apps on their store. Do folks sign 10 year deals when selling on ebay, amazon, newegg? No, because they aren’t needed when you’re selling a product. MS plans on pulling the product away hence why there are these 3-10 year contracts.

Your Netflix and sports analogy are not the same. Netflix is a subscription model. Sports stars sign contracts so they can renew for better deals.

You’re just making my point for me, friend. You don’t see these deals because they don’t normally happen. The only reason MS is even offering ten is to appease regulators. Otherwise they wouldn’t offer that because it’s not normal. Which part of that is confusing?

And my sports/Netflix analogies are perfectly fine. Why can those deals be renewed for better terms but MS has to sign some magical “forever deal” and not get a chance to negotiate anything later?

I’m glad to see the crystal balls have moved into this thread from GamePass threads. I guess people are tired of being wrong in those threads, so they’re bringing their “maybe potentially one day probably down the line MS will _____” bullshit here. Have fun with that I guess 🤡

demigod

You’re just making my point for me, friend. You don’t see these deals because they don’t normally happen. The only reason MS is even offering ten is to appease regulators. Otherwise they wouldn’t offer that because it’s not normal. Which part of that is confusing?

And my sports/Netflix analogies are perfectly fine. Why can those deals be renewed for better terms but MS has to sign some magical “forever deal” and not get a chance to negotiate anything later?

I’m glad to see the crystal balls have moved into this thread from GamePass threads. I guess people are tired of being wrong in those threads, so they’re bringing their “maybe potentially one day probably down the line MS will _____” bullshit here. Have fun with that I guess 🤡
Thanks for proving my point that ms intends to take cod away after 10 years, 🤡

Mate, just say you're oblivious to what you're talking about. There's no shame in that. Majority of people will even respect you more because atleast you're aware and willing to listen.
Otherwise you'll just get piled on and made fun of.
Or I don't subscribe to crazy conspiracy theories of the third place console maker snuffing out competition but taking over 20 years to do so. All you'd have to do is show a video or interview of Phil Spencer or any one currently working at MS talking about 'extinguishing' Sony and Nintendo. Something that wild would certainly have made the news.

Trust me I am not worried about guys looking like this:
Always Sunny Reaction GIF

making fun of any one.

I think Microsoft's lawyers are going to find a way to make the regulators happy. Specifically, the CMA. MS is showing they will do pretty much whatever it takes outside of divestiture. My gut tells me it won't come to that.

Whatever behavioral remedies that are required. I know CMA has indicated that may not be enough, but I they will cave eventually. Everyone and their grandma are going to have 10 year deals before this is over.

Dance Dancing GIF

I don't know. Those 10 year deals alone don't stop Microsoft from having full control of Activision after. It would be like delaying the effects instead of stopping it outright. That's why divestiture or structural remedies is the proper solution. There's a reason why Microsoft don't want that. Microsoft want control and they'll be more than happy to wait 10 years for it, if they have to.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I don't know. Those 10 year deals alone don't stop Microsoft from having full control of Activision after. It would be like delaying the effects instead of stopping it outright. That's why divestiture or structural remedies is the proper solution. There's a reason why Microsoft don't want that. Microsoft want control and they'll be more than happy to wait 10 years for it, if they have to.
For the last few years, everybody was busy telling us that "Microsoft is playing the long game."

Now, everybody is like "nah, the 10 year agreements are not sinister. COD will always be multiplatform."

Also, funny to see that we don't see "Microsoft is playing the long game" AT ALL anymore. Like that statement -- which was plastered everywhere -- completely vanished from online conversations and gaming media articles.

Thirty7ven

Banned
I wonder if it wouldn’t be easier to cut off COD entirely, and let other games rise above sea level. Don’t let MS use PlayStation’s userbase to continue to slowly grow the franchise on Xbox until they start using COD to blackmail Sony.

Possible that MS wouldn’t even have enough time to grow Series install base in timely fashion.

I would do it.

Last edited:

Era, the anti-capitalism venue...
Sounds logical -era logic- to me! 🤡

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom