• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Topher

Gold Member
I don't know. Those 10 year deals alone don't stop Microsoft from having full control of Activision after. It would be like delaying the effects instead of stopping it outright. That's why divestiture or structural remedies is the proper solution. There's a reason why Microsoft don't want that. Microsoft want control and they'll be more than happy to wait 10 years for it, if they have to.

Yeah, I agree. Avoiding divestiture seems to be the only obstacle left though. I just think the CMA will cave.

None of that’s true.
Incognito was first party for one, two, most if not all first parties used it. It was even successful enough to get the interest of the military.
Wrong. You'd know it's true if you were interested in such things back then, or even if you simply did some research today. But it's obvious you did neither. My point was that despite Incognito being first party, Sony still made them purchase the PS3's for the initial buildout. It's why I pointed to their budget. It really wasn't until after the beta that Sony agreed to invest more PS3's into it. And they ultimately fell far short of what they promised.

But let me guess, her-derp military dum.
That was for an entirely different application. Lol, is this a failed goalpost move attempt, or do you just think that because they're sitting in a similar looking rack that it's all the same?

Ezekiel_

Banned
I think Microsoft's lawyers are going to find a way to make the regulators happy. Specifically, the CMA. MS is showing they will do pretty much whatever it takes outside of divestiture. My gut tells me it won't come to that.

Whatever behavioral remedies that are required. I know CMA has indicated that may not be enough, but I they will cave eventually. Everyone and their grandma are going to have 10 year deals before this is over.

Dance Dancing GIF
Hopefully they don't simply 'cave' to pressure, and render a decision based on facts, reasonable analysis and in the interests of consumers in their respective markets, as is required from their role.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Idas

New report from MLex:

- Microsoft hopes that the remedy package offered to the EC will put pressure on the CMA.

- Microsoft has now formally committed to making Activision's portfolio of games, including Call of Duty, available on rival cloud-gaming platforms.

- "More striking is the absence of any formal commitment to address key concerns raised by rival Sony about the deal's impact on its PlayStation, and Google about the deal's impact on its ChromeOS cloud-first operating system."

- As recently as Feb. 21 (the hearing), the EC still had concerns about those markets.

- Microsoft's offer comes after intense discussions with officials probing the deal, and the market test should be considered a good sign.

- Under the terms of its in-depth review, the commission has until May 22 to rule on the deal, although it will soon need to circulate a draft decision internally and to national authorities.

- The support of Nvidia has been key, according to MLex.

- The extent to which Sony would benefit from the remedy on cloud gaming is unclear. Sony's primary complaint has been that Microsoft would remove Activision Blizzard's games from its PlayStation, or at the very least degrade their performance on the Sony console to drive its users to the Microsoft Xbox. "That appears to have fallen on deaf ears at the EU competition enforcer."

- The offer from MS (to Sony) presumably still remains on the table. So, at some point Sony may say yes. In any case, most probably Sony will first shift its attention to the CMA.

- "No doubt Microsoft will have pointed CMA investigators to the EU regulator's latest conclusions on that point. If Microsoft can get traction there and put a dent in the narrative against the deal, that would be no mean feat — but it may not be enough."

- However, the CMA's last public word on the subject (acceptance of behavioural remedies) still remains: "None of the circumstances in which the CMA would select a behavioural remedy as the primary source of remedial action in a merger investigation ... appears to be present."

PaintTinJr

I think Microsoft's lawyers are going to find a way to make the regulators happy. Specifically, the CMA. MS is showing they will do pretty much whatever it takes outside of divestiture. My gut tells me it won't come to that.

Whatever behavioral remedies that are required. I know CMA has indicated that may not be enough, but I they will cave eventually. Everyone and their grandma are going to have 10 year deals before this is over.

Dance Dancing GIF
For us in the UK, I suspect most of us think the deal is already over. If Microsoft don't meet the requirements of divesting, or the equivalent, then the deal is done IMO, because a U-turn would likely lose all those at the CMA their jobs, with the current documents being the evidence of widespread incompetence - to have arrived at those conclusions and backed down.

Backing down isn't really a UK way of doing things, especial when things have been published. Our quangos aren't impacted negatively by the change of one government to the next - unless they are getting shutdown or gutted, something that wouldn't apply to an essential functions such as the CMA - and budget-wise, maybe with the exception of councils and blocking planning permission important functions get whatever budget they need to oppose big corporation pressure/money if deemed in the public interest.

If the deal gets approved by the CMA without Microsoft meeting the criteria there will likely be an inquest/probe into how they changed their minds and the decision reversed IMO. I see 0% chance of this "try" being "converted" by Microsoft in the UK without doing what they said they won't, as there is no way around the published CMA documents AFAIK without it looking like the CMA were bought off.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I wonder if it wouldn’t be easier to cut off COD entirely, and let other games rise above sea level. Don’t let MS use PlayStation’s userbase to continue to slowly grow the franchise on Xbox until they start using COD to blackmail Sony.

Possible that MS wouldn’t even have enough time to grow Series install base in timely fashion.

I would do it.

Yea, that would be brilliant. Just refuse to sell the highest selling game of the year and force the millions of COD players on PS to get it somewhere else.

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
It definitely isn't.

They could do more damage to Sony's market share by buying half a dozen or more publishers instead of Activision. And they'd be able to do it for less money too.

If this is going to be one of those convos where you say one thing, I replay, then you post a rebuttal by adding something you didn't say at first?

If so, I'm out. Have fun.

My apologies. They could improve Xbox's offering (and by extension likely improve their market share at the cost of Sony's) by buying half a dozen publishers instead of Activision. And they'd be able to do it for less money too.

I don't think anyone could think that Microsoft would spend $70Bn dollars to improve Xbox's offering when they could do it more effectively and less expensively.

jm89

Idas

New report from MLex:

- Microsoft hopes that the remedy package offered to the EC will put pressure on the CMA.

- "No doubt Microsoft will have pointed CMA investigators to the EU regulator's latest conclusions on that point. If Microsoft can get traction there and put a dent in the narrative against the deal, that would be no mean feat — but it may not be enough."

- However, the CMA's last public word on the subject (acceptance of behavioural remedies) still remains: "None of the circumstances in which the CMA would select a behavioural remedy as the primary source of remedial action in a merger investigation ... appears to be present."

Using EC to change the mind of the CMA seems like a huge gamble and admission they might not even be addressing CMAs concerns directly. Obviously not sure on the latter bit, but it just seems like that for a while.

We even had the EC come out and say other regulators(Most likeley pointing at the CMA) can rule differently.

I think the issues with the CMA caving in based on pressure will be a huge disaster for future as a regulator, and will set a precedent that other companies can play the same game and use the EC to put pressure on the CMA.

Last edited:

laynelane

For the last few years, everybody was busy telling us that "Microsoft is playing the long game."

Now, everybody is like "nah, the 10 year agreements are not sinister. COD will always be multiplatform."

Also, funny to see that we don't see "Microsoft is playing the long game" AT ALL anymore. Like that statement -- which was plastered everywhere -- completely vanished from online conversations and gaming media articles.

A narrative dies and a new one is born - the circle of life PR.

zQAXPnL.gif

Last edited:

jm89

Let’s be clear about one thing, none of these reports have any access to what regulators are thinking. It will all be based on the understanding of interested parties, and the only ones running their mouth are MS/ABK.
That's a good point. Assuming the previous mlex update is correct and the EC decision has been pushed all the way back to may 22nd, then how can anyone reasonably predict 2 months ahead what the EC will do?

Now this recent mlex update says microsft are trying to put pressure on the CMA with the EC, well that should be enough to work out what is going on here and where this positivity is coming from in these reports.

If the may 22nd date is correct for the EC decision or even the other delayed date april 25th, i imagine it's put a bit of a dent in MS trying to pressure the CMA with the an EC approval.

Last edited:

Baki

I wonder if it wouldn’t be easier to cut off COD entirely, and let other games rise above sea level. Don’t let MS use PlayStation’s userbase to continue to slowly grow the franchise on Xbox until they start using COD to blackmail Sony.

Possible that MS wouldn’t even have enough time to grow Series install base in timely fashion.

I would do it.
It's the #1 selling game every year. You don't just cut that off from the platform. It's way too risky. Especially at the beginning of a gen. If the PS5 was at 80-100M consoles sold, maybe that would be a strategy that works. But not at the 30M console sold, where the majority of people have not transitioned to next gen yet.

Thirty7ven

Banned
My play would be to try to build a viable COD competitor over the next 10 years

Sounds really difficult because the audience would have the choice not to switch. Would be bolder but imo more effective to lean on a 2:1 userbase, have people not willing to buy a Xbox switch to another game, and then come out with a Socom.

The problem with the ten year contract is that you are just giving MS a lot of time to figure out how to manage the IP, the devs, having to launch the game on Switch, GeForce Now and other cloud providers.

Banjo64

cumsessed
For us in the UK, I suspect most of us think the deal is already over. If Microsoft don't meet the requirements of divesting, or the equivalent, then the deal is done IMO, because a U-turn would likely lose all those at the CMA their jobs, with the current documents being the evidence of widespread incompetence - to have arrived at those conclusions and backed down.

Backing down isn't really a UK way of doing things, especial when things have been published. Our quangos aren't impacted negatively by the change of one government to the next - unless they are getting shutdown or gutted, something that wouldn't apply to an essential functions such as the CMA - and budget-wise, maybe with the exception of councils and blocking planning permission important functions get whatever budget they need to oppose big corporation pressure/money if deemed in the public interest.

If the deal gets approved by the CMA without Microsoft meeting the criteria there will likely be an inquest/probe into how they changed their minds and the decision reversed IMO. I see 0% chance of this "try" being "converted" by Microsoft in the UK without doing what they said they won't, as there is no way around the published CMA documents AFAIK without it looking like the CMA were bought off.
100%. I’m amazed at the suggestion they will (or can) just change their minds.

They’re funded by the tax payer, and have published their findings. They published what they find to be acceptable remedies. They’ve followed their own procedures and guidelines.

A 10 year stay of execution is completely inadequate and irrelevant compared to the suggested remedy of divestiture.

The deal will go in 1 of 2 ways from here:

1. Microsoft will offer serious behavioural remedies that are easy to enforce and last well beyond 10 years.
  2. The CMA will find against them.
It really is that straight forward.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
Sounds really difficult because the audience would have the choice not to switch. Would be bolder but imo more effective to lean on a 2:1 userbase, have people not willing to buy a Xbox switch to another game, and then come out with a Socom.

The problem with the ten year contract is that you are just giving MS a lot of time to figure out how to manage the IP, the devs, having to launch the game on Switch, GeForce Now and other cloud providers.

Sony would be retarded to cut off their biggest seller and a huge driver of PS+ subs. They would hand MS a huge chunk of market share on a golden platter.

If I’m Sony the scariest part of all this is Xbox division getting taken over by Activision execs who are good at their jobs.

feynoob

1. Microsoft will offer serious behavioural remedies that are easy to enforce and last well beyond 10 years.
The deal won't go with behavioral remedies.
MS want all of them.
If that is not possible, then they will walk away.

Activision without COD is useless for them.
It's better to get EA for them compared to Activision, if it doesn't have COD.

Topher

Gold Member

100%. I’m amazed at the suggestion they will (or can) just change their minds.

They’re funded by the tax payer, and have published their findings. They published what they find to be acceptable remedies. They’ve followed their own procedures and guidelines.

A 10 year stay of execution is completely inadequate and irrelevant compared to the suggested remedy of divestiture.

I was under the impression that everything so far has been provisional. You guys are saying the CMA cannot make changes?

DJ12

If the CMA block this deal I bet MS will rue actively seeking out every opportunity and loophole imaginable to avoid paying tax in the UK.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

Wrong. You'd know it's true if you were interested in such things back then, or even if you simply did some research today. But it's obvious you did neither. My point was that despite Incognito being first party, Sony still made them purchase the PS3's for the initial buildout. It's why I pointed to their budget. It really wasn't until after the beta that Sony agreed to invest more PS3's into it. And they ultimately fell far short of what they promised.

That was for an entirely different application. Lol, is this a failed goalpost move attempt, or do you just think that because they're sitting in a similar looking rack that it's all the same?
Receipts?

Banjo64

cumsessed
I was under the impression that everything so far has been provisional. You guys are saying the CMA cannot make changes?
The provisional findings were fact based: a conclusion derived from the thousands of documents reviewed, submissions from the involved parties and the third parties consulted.

What brand new information can realistically come out between the time of the CMA publishing their provisional findings to the final deadline?

That information would have to be so substantial that the CMA can publicly justify a climb down from suggesting structural remedies to behavioural.

It doesn’t exist.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
The CMA can "accept" behavioral remedies that Microsoft is suggesting. It won't necessarily be "making changes" because the CMA technically left the door open for Microsoft to convince them that behavioral remedies can work adequately in this case.

Having said that, it'd be a shocker, to say the least. And as Banjo64 Banjo64 said, those MS behavioral remedies would have to be mind-blowing. But the interesting part is that we already know what those behavioral remedies are based on Microsoft's submissions, and they don't align with what the CMA requested.

Moreover, the CMA had already commented on two things: (1) the 10-year deals were downplayed, and (2) they think Microsoft will foreclose PlayStation, even if there are signed deals.

So if MS suggests in their behavioral remedies again that "bro, we promise we won't foreclose PlayStation and COD will remain multiplatform for 10 years," it's basically the same two things that the CMA didn't like before.

It's unrealistic to expect that the CMA will accept the same things now that they didn't like 2 months ago.

Last edited:

jm89

The provisional findings were fact based: a conclusion derived from the thousands of documents reviewed, submissions from the involved parties and the third parties consulted.

What brand new information can realistically come out between the time of the CMA publishing their provisional findings to the final deadline?

That information would have to be so substantial that the CMA can publicly justify a climb down from suggesting structural remedies to behavioural.

It doesn’t exist.
CMA also has been speaking to microsoft from the phase 1 findings to all the way to provisional findings.

So i don't know how much they can convince the CMA to change there minds of there key concerns right now, when they probably had months prior.

Xbox lost the marketing deal since xbox one era, why are there still CoD on there then champ? Not the same thing at all with the 10 year contract. Keep 🤡ing yourself.

CoD on Xbox, wtf are you talking about 😆🤡

ABK signs marketing deals with Sony that expire. It doesn’t mean they don’t intend to then sign more deals. Yet with MS you assume they intend to remove the game entirely after the deal is over. Because reasons. Again, let me know where you are confused.

Three

CoD on Xbox, wtf are you talking about 😆🤡

ABK signs marketing deals with Sony that expire. It doesn’t mean they don’t intend to then sign more deals. Yet with MS you assume they intend to remove the game entirely after the deal is over. Because reasons. Again, let me know where you are confused.
You've got to be shitting me with this if you don't see the difference between Activison signing deals with Sony or MS vs MS owning it and expecting them to sign deals.

Last edited:

PaintTinJr

Not the type of changes that would leave Microsoft in charge of CoD, no. They would look like incompetent idiots in the UK and questions would be asked. They can only change within the small area they have clearly defined for Microsoft to solve a problem they would rather went away from the deal being cancelled.

It might even be the reason the EC are delaying to let the UK regulator torpedo the deal in full, having gone through the process to give Microsoft their chance to get King and Candy Crush like they publicly claimed.

People suggesting the EC - or any external agency - can bring any pressure on a UK regulator is not based in reality, when many of these people working for UK regulators are effectively informed by, or acting like Barristers or QCs in the way they work - dealing only in facts in accordance with laws/regulations. These aren't average Joe's concerned about a narrative - any more than our House of Lords would be - they are immune to such tactics because of the public scrutiny they would face from buckling to mega corporation pressure. If anything trying to stronger arm them results in less favourable consideration and more scrutiny down the line - would be my take as a Brit.

splattered

Not the type of changes that would leave Microsoft in charge of CoD, no. They would look like incompetent idiots in the UK and questions would be asked. They can only change within the small area they have clearly defined for Microsoft to solve a problem they would rather went away from the deal being cancelled.

It might even be the reason the EC are delaying to let the UK regulator torpedo the deal in full, having gone through the process to give Microsoft their chance to get King and Candy Crush like they publicly claimed.

People suggesting the EC - or any external agency - can bring any pressure on a UK regulator is not based in reality, when many of these people working for UK regulators are effectively informed by, or acting like Barristers or QCs in the way they work - dealing only in facts in accordance with laws/regulations. These aren't average Joe's concerned about a narrative - any more than our House of Lords would be - they are immune to such tactics because of the public scrutiny they would face from buckling to mega corporation pressure. If anything trying to stronger arm them results in less favourable consideration and more scrutiny down the line - would be my take as a Brit.
Sorry, you are not in control of the CMA and what they ultimately decide. I don't know why several people here keep acting like they are.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom