• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It’s common sense. The contract expires on July 18. After July 18, there won’t be a contract.

If they want to amend the contract, they need the same parties who signed it to sign on it again. That’s how contract amendments work.
Yep. I do them (addendums) all the time when closing dates need to be extended in real estate if the buyers and lenders need more time to clear conditions.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
It’s common sense. The contract expires on July 18. After July 18, there won’t be a contract.

If they want to amend the contract, they need the same parties who signed it to sign on it again. That’s how contract amendments work.
Do the shareholders sign the contract though or do they just agree to the price? Again, as people who know little to nothing about how this works - the best evidence of what happens is previous mergers and it doesn't look like the AT&T/DirectTV merger required votes for their extensions.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Feels like this acquisition is happening
Spill what you know/heard!

Suspicious Buffy The Vampire Slayer GIF

ToadMan

If this is possible then the injunction decision is likely vital for extending the deadline.

Yes that was my thinking - that if the injunction is upheld, then the deal basically dies, but if it’s denied, MS will want to extend hoping to clear out all the US obstacles leaving just the CMA to work on.

But I’m curious what will happen in the middle ground where the PI judgement is simply not delivered in time for anything to be possible on July 18- at this point that seems the most likely outcome.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
For my sins I read through some of the proxy vote form and was unable to understand half of it - the July deadline seems to be when Activision can terminate the merger without having to pay MS 2 billion and instead get 3 billion form MS, there is nothing saying it terminates on that date. The agreement specifically allows amendments to the agreement without shareholder vote except where Deleware corporate code would require it. Which is where I bailed, who knows whether Deleware code requires a vote or not.

Last edited:
Correct. CMA keeps getting lost in all this.

Yeah it's why I thought it was CMA related. The P.I not being granted doesn't mean the CMA approves the deal. If the appeal fails then the deal is blocked. Of course there's extremes that Microsoft can go to such as closing it illegally.

ToadMan

For my sins I read through some of the proxy vote form and was unable to understand half of it - the July deadline seems to be when Activision can terminate the merger without having to pay MS 2 billion and instead get 3 billion form MS. The agreement specifically allows amendments to the agreement without shareholder vote except where Deleware corporate code would require it. Which is where I bailed, who knows whether Deleware code requires a vote or not.

Good for you for trying at least 👍

A lot of that stuff is just mind-numbing 😴😴😴

I had a quick google of the delaware corporate code - yeah it’s dense and finding the answer is probably at the intersection of multiple stipulations in that code.

But either way, it seems to me the Board of Directors are given the power to manage the company in the best interests of shareholders.

So ATVI have to continue to pursue the merger in accordance with the terms of the acquisition and if they feel its in the shareholders best interests, extend or modify the contract and there isn’t a specific need for a vote of shareholders.

But come July 18 they can also decide whether its in the best interests of shareholders to pull out of the acquisition.

Topher

Gold Member
Yeah it's why I thought it was CMA related. The P.I not being granted doesn't mean the CMA approves the deal. If the appeal fails then the deal is blocked. Of course there's extremes that Microsoft can go to such as closing it illegally.

Based on HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 's reaction to my post, seems this is about the FTC. I'm guessing the decision has been delivered under seal and he had a conversation with a certain friend of his.

Figure we will know on Monday. Now remember everyone.......we are supposed to be melting down so let's put on a good show.

Now....to find the right gif...

Tantrum Crying GIF
Mad The Rock GIF
Korean Drama No GIF by The Swoon

Based on HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 's reaction to my post, seems this is about the FTC. I'm guessing the decision has been delivered under seal and he had a conversation with a certain friend of his.

Figure we will know on Monday. Now remember everyone.......we are supposed to be melting down so let's put on a good show.

Tantrum Crying GIF
Mad The Rock GIF

It's what happens afterwards that I'm curious about.

Bernardougf

Gold Member
Can I meltdown now ? Or I have to wait for the CAT decision ? ...

The one and only good thing about this merger ***** IF ***** it happens is going to be the delicious crow Ill serve as soon as MS makes COD exclusive... maybe Ill just have to wait for the next gen ...and thats a big MAYBE ... but all good things come to those who wait.

Last edited:

Bridges

I don't understand why it is so farfetched to say that Xbox completes with Switch. Every single generation since the PS2, if somebody wanted to buy a game console they will go to the store and choose between Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox. Why are so many people now pretending that they're not all competing in the console space together? This is like saying the Wii did not compete with the 360 because of motion controls. You can poke holes in a lot of arguments here but regardless of graphical fidelity or form factor or whatever arbitrary distinctions people are drawing here, you have three choices if you want a console gaming experience and it's been that way for many years.

splattered

Just filing an appeal will push it past the 18th, if that’s what the FTC are striving for. But yeah, the CMA would still be a massive roadblock.

Or maybe they aren't? Heisenberg is usually very careful about his wording.. he didn't say MS is getting past the FTC he said the acquisition is happening so maybe Microsoft sees a path around/remedies for the CMA etc? Or maybe he simply meant the FTC for now :p

Or maybe they aren't? Heisenberg is usually very careful about his wording.. he didn't say MS is getting past the FTC he said the acquisition is happening so maybe Microsoft sees a path around/remedies for the CMA etc? Or maybe he simply meant the FTC for now :p

Eliminating the UK would have big consequences for them and affect future mergers. I believe its the least likely scenario.

CuNi

Imagine if someone hacked into HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4 account just to spread that misinformation 🤣🤣. I could see people on this forum be crazy enough to do that.

Anyway, now I'm super curious about what'll happen on Monday!!

Bernardougf

Gold Member

Tantrum Crying GIF
Mad The Rock GIF
Somebody check the timeframe for this type of decisions I think we have a national record ... good for MS that the judge was so kind to be this fast out of the goodness of her heart 🥰

X-Wing

I don't understand why it is so farfetched to say that Xbox completes with Switch. Every single generation since the PS2, if somebody wanted to buy a game console they will go to the store and choose between Nintendo, PlayStation and Xbox. Why are so many people now pretending that they're not all competing in the console space together? This is like saying the Wii did not compete with the 360 because of motion controls. You can poke holes in a lot of arguments here but regardless of graphical fidelity or form factor or whatever arbitrary distinctions people are drawing here, you have three choices if you want a console gaming experience and it's been that way for many years.
Because if the Switch was in the equation it would show that the market distribution isn't as disproportionate as Microsoft wants it to to be... the console SLC would be higher and less chances it would pass regulatory scrutiny.

bitbydeath

Seems unlikely but I guess we’ll find out later.

Vognerful

Because if the Switch was in the equation it would show that the market distribution isn't as disproportionate as Microsoft wants it to to be... the console SLC would be higher and less chances it would pass regulatory scrutiny.
wait, was it Microsoft who were arguing in court that Nintendo is not a competitor or Sony? because I remember hearing microsoft saying they are while Jim Ryan saying the opposite.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom