• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Microsoft create their own consoles so you're reasoning is illogical at least in the current market, with the amount of time in R&D these consoles take its unlikely to be in the immediate future either.

Yeah, my assumption would be the MS would be the only ones that would even push for a streaming-only console in the future. But I can't see that happening until 2035 at the earliest. But the judge seems more bullish on this for some reason.

Kilau

Yes, but at least I don't expect such corrections and the need for establishing moral authority and institutional trust by the American justice system.
Captain America Lol GIF by mtv

I think you need to stop looking for fire when there's no smoke
Hard to argue with solid reasoning like that, so I'll head to the office :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If you want to double check your confidence level, the rules are here: Nasdaq Methodology

"In the case of mergers and acquisitions, the effective date for the removal of an Index Issuer or security will be largely event-based, with the goal to remove the issuer or security as soon as completion of the acquisition or merger has been deemed highly probable. Notable events include, but are not limited to, completion of various regulatory reviews, the conclusion of material lawsuits and/or shareholder and Board approvals."

Hard to argue with solid reasoning like that, so I'll head to the office :messenger_tears_of_joy:

If you want to double check your confidence level, the rules are here: Nasdaq Methodology

"In the case of mergers and acquisitions, the effective date for the removal of an Index Issuer or security will be largely event-based, with the goal to remove the issuer or security as soon as completion of the acquisition or merger has been deemed highly probable. Notable events include, but are not limited to, completion of various regulatory reviews, the conclusion of material lawsuits and/or shareholder and Board approvals."

Listen, the removal from the index is probably due to the merger. But that's not an indiction of it closing on Monday.

Move on to the next tinfoil hat theory

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
I've got whiplash from the narrative change on the CMA not mattering to CMA being an unfair obstacle.
They almost had us fooled too, until we came to our senses and realized it was just the fanboy shill media pipering their typical warring tripe. CMA has procedures and they are sticking to them. I'm actually impressed with them compared to how the US system is a total shitshow.

Listen, the removal from the index is probably due to the merger. But that's not an indiction of it closing on Monday.

Move on to the next tinfoil hat theory
As you said, ‘good lord’… But at least we got passed your original interjection that this removal was totally routine, happens every day type stuff, so was probably worth it… (it really wasn’t).

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Looks like Microsoft doesn't like the CMA's proposal.

It's talking about the original proposed order in April when they blocked the deal.

In its announcement, the CMA says that Microsoft offered a "detailed and complex submission" on why the CMA's original Proposed Order should not be accepted. The CMA's Proposed Order was filed in April and found significant lessening of competition effects would arise from the merger.

ToadMan

I've got whiplash from the narrative change on the CMA not mattering to CMA being an unfair obstacle.

And it went via CMA and MS are buddies who’ve got a deal signed in blood already.

It is really difficult to keep up.

It doesn’t help that we see it all in slow motion - like the decisions have already happened but we see the documents and evidence a day or two later so we are seeing things nearer the deadlines than they actually occur.

Yes, it's routine. It's not secret insider knowledge from someone over at the nasdaq
Agreed, as you said “happens all the time” when Nasdaq understands a merger/acquisition is ‘highly probable’.

The secret no one knows is they make that determination solely by licking their finger and sticking it up in the air. If the right side gets cold, the merger is ON.

Agreed, as you said “happens all the time” when Nasdaq understands a merger/acquisition is ‘highly probable’.

The secret no one knows is they make that determination solely by licking their finger and sticking it up in the air. If the right side gets cold, the merger is ON.

Like I said, you're looking for fire when there's no smoke

Solidus_T

And it went via CMA and MS are buddies who’ve got a deal signed in blood already.

It is really difficult to keep up.

It doesn’t help that we see it all in slow motion - like the decisions have already happened but we see the documents and evidence a day or two later so we are seeing things nearer the deadlines than they actually occur.
A lot of the confusion can be blamed on those initial CNBC reports that the CMA approached Microsoft groveling for a deal and they reached an agreement, only for the CMA to clarify the next morning that no such thing had happened and MS was groveling. It seems that a lot of reporters are still running with the CNBC narrative which makes all of the information we are getting look so contradictory and whiplash inducing.

Last edited:

wolffy66

Just because the CMA extended their deadline to whatever date doesn't mean they will wait until the end of that period. They could just as easily decide on whatever changes in an afternoon. Only they know what they consider a hearing or judgement. It won't take long to judge the impact of a change to deal they just heard

Kilau

Just because the CMA extended their deadline to whatever date doesn't mean they will wait until the end of that period. They could just as easily decide on whatever changes in an afternoon. Only they know what they consider a hearing or judgement. It won't take long to judge the impact of a change to deal they just heard
Brits love their procedures. Accelerated to them means a short tea time but still tea time.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

I posted this yesterday. M&As is one of the many reasons why stocks are delisted from the index fund. Remember that this is just an index fund, not the Stock Exchange itself (which would have been the real deal).

BoRtvQ5.jpg

And December isn't the only month NASDAQ rejigs their funds. They just announced a few days ago that they'd be rejigging this very fund.

YRwKBB4.jpg

Last edited:

NickFire

They almost had us fooled too, until we came to our senses and realized it was just the fanboy shill media pipering their typical warring tripe. CMA has procedures and they are sticking to them. I'm actually impressed with them compared to how the US system is a total shitshow.
Did something come out that suggests the CMA isn't willing to accept something substantially less their prior conditions?

Genuinely asking because been away from news a while and everyone seems to think this isn't closing soon if the stay expires. But stock price is hanging strong, and CMA extension of final order is really hard for me to read into. Sounds like peanuts if that was all they gave to get a pause after the continuance was denied. But I could easily envision an extension to give them some sort of flexibility on those conditions. Both are pure speculation, so stock price still has me finding it tough to believe CMA hasn't signaled a willingness to play ball.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Did something come out that suggests the CMA isn't willing to accept something substantially less their prior conditions?

Genuinely asking because been away from news a while and everyone seems to think this isn't closing soon if the stay expires. But stock price is hanging strong, and CMA extension of final order is really hard for me to read into. Sounds like peanuts if that was all they gave to get a pause after the continuance was denied. But I could easily envision an extension to give them some sort of flexibility on those conditions. Both are pure speculation, so stock price still has me finding it tough to believe CMA hasn't signaled a willingness to play ball.
Not a clue. We just now know the CMA has procedures and this was not them "buckling or getting cold feet."

Kilau

Yes. If the FTC fails, the CMA can still block it 6 weeks later.

However, if the FTC succeeds today, the chances of ABK bailing after July 18 increases significantly in my opinion.
It does seem like that but we are really only going on what MS and ABK have said, the deal is dead if not done by the 18th.

gothmog

Gold Member
I'm still having a hard time understanding why they just don't extend the deal? If everyone was so into the acquisition and they're this close why not push the timeline and the breakup fee out a bit? Something doesn't add up.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
It does seem like that but we are really only going on what MS and ABK have said, the deal is dead if not done by the 18th.
Not necessarily. ABK and MS may have already negotiated to stay at least until Aug. 29. But we don't know whether they did or not. July 19 may bring some news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom