• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kilau

And that's the only way they use them, again they blew it!
They only had their PS3 and PS4 games to put on the service. The thing MS did different was bundle Xcloud into game pass. Sony has had a cloud app on PC for a long time it’s just the library isn’t good. Apple also doesn’t allow game streaming on iOS.

For Xcloud I have to use a custom safari bookmark. Maybe the same on android, not sure.

PaintTinJr

Stadia failed because it was absolute shit and destined to fail. Making people buy old expensive cloud only games yup genius idea.
Everybody knew that shit was going to fail and i do mean everybody
As gaffers our starting point for all Cloud gaming is that it is shit.

When you subtract the default view, how shit was it in comparison to any other shit cloud offering? Was it just that they couldn't get "compelling games" at a good rate? Or at any price when one company was playing takeaway from buying a high profile multiplatform publisher - and looking to buy ATVI too - and then took away games from others?

The facts remain that Microsoft had power over stadia from vertical effects from their primary monopoly and their actions with Zenimax games.

Wulfer

They only had their PS3 and PS4 games to put on the service. The thing MS did different was bundle Xcloud into game pass. Sony has had a cloud app on PC for a long time it’s just the library isn’t good. Apple also doesn’t allow game streaming on iOS.

For Xcloud I have to use a custom safari bookmark. Maybe the same on android, not sure.
You proved my point, Sony had the time to make better choices.

Oh and this too...

How to setup Xcloud on Apple devices

Don't come in here tell me Sony didn't have the time or ability to make this work when they had 51% of the console market share. No, Sony doesn't get that pass for being stupid!

Last edited:

Wulfer

You just linked to the exact thing I said I did. I also wasn't debating your point, I was saying they had limited content for a long time, I'm not sure what more they could have feasibly done nor am I making excuses for them.
My point was Sony didn't want to share. They wanted it all and they wanted to bloody MS's nose while taking it all. Greed, is a powerful enemy when it takes control of what your trying to accomplish. Now, Sony's trying to convince others and play the "we can't complete card" to win Symphony with the regulators.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Nobody wants streaming, majority wise. But these corporations will bulldoze it onto gaming and play the death by 1,000 cuts long game like they did with MTX.

And one of the largest corporations who owns one of the largest infrastructures with upwards of 70% of the market already, will be the one to do that. And boy do they want to be the monopoly like their OS.

No matter how much of a fanatical teet sucker you are, you should drop the corpo goo gobbling and always push back against the "you will own nothing and like it" WEF future. Not even native gaming digital versions at that point.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
You proved my point, Sony had the time to make better choices.

Oh and this too...

How to setup Xcloud on Apple devices

Don't come in here tell me Sony didn't have the time or ability to make this work when they had 51% of the console market share. No, Sony doesn't get that pass for being stupid!

Console market share? What is with trying to insert Sony back into this? Amazon and Nvidia are bigger players in cloud than Sony.

Topher

Gold Member
My point was Sony didn't want to share. They wanted it all and they wanted to bloody MS's nose while taking it all. Greed, is a powerful enemy when it takes control of what your trying to accomplish.

Sony wanted all of what? Cloud?

Last edited:

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Sigh.....
Cope ? Why should i cope lol.
Its about a healthy market and bigger marketshare for ms.
Sony fans would benefit from a strong ms but you are obviously too short sighted to understand that.
Sony fans would benefit by a strong MS, but not at the cost of weakening Sony. When MS fuck up ABK in 10 years like they did Halo, do they get free reign to take Capcom, Take 2 and EA off Sony so it can make MS strong?

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Sony fans would benefit by a strong MS, but not at the cost of weakening Sony. When MS fuck up ABK in 10 years like they did Halo, do they get free reign to take Capcom, Take 2 and EA off Sony so it can make MS strong?

Bit of a weird statement you got here.

Xbox fans would also benefit from a strong Sony but not at the cost of weakening Xbox. Therefore they shouldn't make any exclusivity deals, going by your word.s

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Sony wanted all of what? Cloud?
7ncsha.gif

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Bit of a weird statement you got here.

Xbox fans would also benefit from a strong Sony but not at the cost of weakening Xbox. Therefore they shouldn't make any exclusivity deals, going by your word.s
Well considering I'm replying to a stupid comment I'm pointing out the fallacy of their statement, which was Sony fans want MS to weaken Sony to make MS stronger. Sony want MS to do well but not lazily buy their way to first place. The market leader being shit is the worst place for everyone. I'm sure you'll agree that Xbox deserves its current spot based off its quality of work.

Kilau

My point was Sony didn't want to share. They wanted it all and they wanted to bloody MS's nose while taking it all. Greed, is a powerful enemy when it takes control of what you’re trying to accomplish. Now, Sony's trying to convince others and play the "we can't complete card" to win Symphony with the regulators.
Yeah, I wasn’t debating whatever point that is.

Wulfer

Nobody wants streaming, majority wise. But these corporations will bulldoze it onto gaming and play the death by 1,000 cuts long game like they did with MTX.

And one of the largest corporations who owns one of the largest infrastructures with upwards of 70% of the market already, will be the one to do that.

No matter how much a fanatical teet sucker you are, you should drop the corpo cock gobbling and always push back against the "you will own nothing and like it" future. Not even native gaming digital versions at that point.
Honesty it amazing how everyone was fine that the true innovator in this industry (AKA Nintendo) was just pushed aside for a bigger player. Now MS (who incidentally about 3 years ago everyone thought might leave the industry) and was ok with that fact. Who's sucking who's teet?

Last edited:

reinking

Gold Member
Sigh.....
Cope ? Why should i cope lol.
Its about a healthy market and bigger marketshare for ms.
Sony fans would benefit from a strong ms but you are obviously too short sighted to understand that.
Tell me. How are Sony fans benefiting from the Bethesda deal? We have already seen games that were coming to PlayStation be taken away. So, excuse me if I don't buy the bullshit that MS acquiring one of the biggest publishers in the industry is a benefit for sony fans.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Dude......none of that posts makes a lick of sense.
He has a horrible sense of gamer history revisionism. Nintendo's draconian practices are what caused them to lose a foothold. They were FORCED to innovate. They were kings of stagnation when they had their foothold.

Buying up the industry to control everyone in your cloud model in 10+ years is not innovative.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
You said it I didn't. Let's not pretend they couldn't be in a better fighting position.
irony GIF

Nobody fucking wants streaming. And the new angle to try and justify that is pure mental gymnastics.

What people want is a 10+ year stagnant company to actually produce games from the wealth of studios and IPs they currently owned in that timeframe. Not to keep playing permanent takeaway from others because they sucked at it.

Last edited:

Wulfer

He has a horrible sense of gamer history revisionism. Nintendo's draconian practices are what caused them to lose a foothold. They were FORCED to innovate. They were kings of stagnation when they had their foothold.

Buying up the industry to control everyone in your cloud model in 10+ years is not innovative.
ET helped bring down Atari.

Final Fantasy and no CD based drive helped bring down Nintendo. It was Nintnedo that helped create Sony what it is today.

Sega was cash strapped and agreed to work with MS with Windows CE. Which made MS look into console gaming after Sega pulled out.

I remember the console gaming world just fine. And yea I've been to several E3 events even private ones with Sony.

Thanks for playing

What people want is a 10+ year stagnant company to actually produce games from the wealth of studios and IPs they currently owned in that timeframe. Not to keep playing permanent takeaway from others because they sucked at it.

Actually, I want that too. Hope this Showcase is the start of it.

True fact: I miss 4 player split-screen fun. Online play isn't the same as having your best friends in the same room trash talking each other to their face. It's just not the same. I thought when the new Bomberman was announced it'd have 4 player split screen nope, no where to be found.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
ET helped bring down Atari.

Final Fantasy and no CD based drive helped bring down Nintendo. It was Nintnedo that helped create Sony what it is today.

Sega was cash strapped and agreed to work with MS with Windows CE. Which made MS look into console gaming after Sega pulled out.

I remember the console gaming world just fine. And yea I've been to several E3 events even private ones with Sony.

Thanks for playing
Good. Not explain the previous comment then.
Honesty it amazing how everyone was fine that the true innovator in this industry (AKA Nintendo) was just pushed aside for a bigger player. Now MS (who incidentally about 3 years ago everyone thought might leave the industry) and was ok with that fact. Who's sucking who's teet?
Because they were pushed aside for their lack of innovation (at the time) and draconian policies. They were forced to innovate.

What MS is doing is nothing like the past. They are like the rich spoiled kid who kept failing at sports, so their father buys up all the players and teams and goes home.

Why don't you ask MS to be more like Nintendo then? Innovate. 🤷‍♀️

Last edited:

Wulfer

Good. Not explain the previous comment then.

Because they were pushed aside for their lack of innovation (at the time) and draconian policies. They were forced to innovate.

What MS is doing is nothing like the past. They are like the rich spoiled kid who kept failing at sports, so their father buys up all the players and teams and goes home.

Why don't you ask MS to be more like Nintendo then? Innovate. 🤷‍♀️
It would be nice, they did this in the beginning even though they made games like Blinx. Mech Assault, Crimson Skies, Fusion Frenzy Project Gotham Racing were all great. They finally got back to the fun factor with Forza Horizon.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cloud gaming is like casual games.
Hardcore/forum fans hate both of them. But they still have a huge demand.
There is no huge demand for game streaming. There is a huge push by companies that want complete control of your spend, yes, but not demand.

They will keep pushing it however, until they hope it's the norm and dream scenario of them, the only way to play.

Last edited:

feynoob

There is no huge demand for game streaming. There is a huge push by companies that want complete control of your spend, yes, but not demand.

They will keep pushing it, however, until they hope it's the norm and dream scenario of them, the only way to play.
There is. You are not the target for it.

Right now, there is around 60+m cloud gaming users.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
There is. You are not the target for it.

Right now, there is around 60+m cloud gaming users.
Cloud gaming and streaming are two different things in the context of this argument. MMOs and mobile gatchas are considering "cloud gaming" but are not streamed and running locally. Stop splitting hairs.

With that said, taste in quality has been regressing at a rapid rate each human generation, and mailable minds are easily persuaded into the Wall-E comfort food and laziness, so they will achieve their end game goals.

Last edited:

feynoob

Cloud gaming and streaming are two different things in the context of this argument. MMOs and mobile gatchas are considering "cloud gaming" but are not streamed and running locally. Stop splitting hairs.

With that said, taste in quality has been regressing at a rapid rate each human generation, and mailable minds are easily persuaded into the Wall-E comfort food and laziness, so they will achieve their end game goals.
Cloud gaming is streaming. I am not talking about that nuance world that devs use.

And no, there is demand for there, because of accessibility.

You are not required to use a high end PC or consoles. The ability to use a controller to just play your games is enticing for a lot of people.

It's a section that is going to dominate in the future in casual circle.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Cloud gaming is streaming. I am not talking about that nuance world that devs use.

And no, there is demand for there, because of accessibility.

You are not required to use a high end PC or consoles. The ability to use a controller to just play your games is enticing for a lot of people.

It's a section that is going to dominate in the future in casual circle.
No shit, I covered that in the Wall-E regression we are headed towards as a society. Easy, mindless, accessibility.

feynoob

No shit, I covered that in the Wall-E regression we are headed towards as a society. Easy, mindless, accessibility.
It's mindless for you, but it's cost savings for a lot of people.

People won't have to spend $500+ on consoles or have to buy high end PC to keep up with graphic outputs.

The biggest benefits is to not deal with downloads anymore.

As for the wallet garden, current consoles are that, plus old consoles too.
You were locked with 1 system, and it was like that, until we got the BC system.
Systems like PS3 is an ancient relics as that one has no BC with PS4 and PS5.

Tams

Consider the pre-merger situation, where Activision does not license its games to cloud services. So, in this case, the remedy opens the door for smaller cloud services in the EU to offer big games on their platforms, widening choice for gamers.

What a crock of shite

We all know that's not going to end up happening.

Corrik

I believe Microsoft will prevail on the appeal based off of incorrectly determining market size, establishing a market that it shouldn't, trying to use an inoperable time frame past 5 years to analyze the market, and due to comity and not understanding that their decision affects a larger market than just the UK and not taking it into account.

Whether the CMA will block it again after the appeal is won, is debatable.

I believe Microsoft will prevail on the appeal based off of incorrectly determining market size, establishing a market that it shouldn't, trying to use an inoperable time frame past 5 years to analyze the market, and due to comity and not understanding that their decision affects a larger market than just the UK and not taking it into account.

Whether the CMA will block it again after the appeal is won, is debatable.
They couldn't block it for the same reasons though unless the market had changed significantly since the last time, which is doubtful.

Bernoulli

M2 slut
Idas from REEEEE made a massive post about all the grounds covered in the appeal, but its too long of a list that it’s better to just post his conclusion

armC1L6.jpg
This part is worse

As has been explained multiple times, an appeal under section 120 faces a high barrier to overcome because MS/ABK must show either that there was no evidence at all to support the CMA's decision or that, on the basis of the evidence the CMA could not reasonably come to the conclusion it did.

For MS/ABK is not sufficient to demonstrate that the evidence could support a different conclusion. In fact, the CAT won't reassess the evidence and substitute its own views for those of the CMA. The CAT won't even reassess the relative weight to be given to a piece of evidence.

This is why it's so difficult to successfully challenge a decision from the CMA where a remedy was rejected or a substantial lessening of competition (SLC) was found. But it's not impossible because it has happened, for example in Stagecoach Group Plc v Competition Commission (2009). In that case, it was shown that the Competition Commission's SLC decision (the predecessor of the CMA) was unreasonable, as its chosen counterfactual (the situation pre merger) did not have an evidential basis and was not supported by adequate reasoning.

But there is something BIG going on on this thread that no one noticed
It's really big

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom