• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Microsoft / Activision Deal Approval Watch |OT| (MS/ABK close)

Do you believe the deal will be approved?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

feynoob

No, that's complete stupidity. When Starfield releases next year, you are making it available for purchase. That statement applies anything you are putting up for sale.
But that doesn't mean, MS has to put the game there.

Read 108 and 109. And the rest of the point, which I sent to you.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The MLex info came from a post on Retard Era, but that does not invalidate the information.

Yeah, I want Pelta to reply and make a further fool of himself, like he's done quite a few times already lol.

-

Anyway..

Other websites have also picked this.

Last edited:

feynoob

Arguing with those that can't form their own opinions or regurgitate posts from members on resetera is ill-advised.
Over It Eye Roll GIF

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
The MLex info came from a post on Retard Era, but that does not invalidate the information.
It's also a marketing analysis firm, like Michael Pachter, which have hedge fund clients they represent, just like Pachter does, which may or may not (If I am a betting man, I would say may) have hedge fund clients that have a vested interest in wanting to see this succeed for the stock payout. Which Pachter has those clients with investments on the market in this too, making it laughable when he is brought on TV like he's a "neutral source" when they don't disclose that to the audience.

Now give me the 'empathy' or 'laugh' react because you are latching onto confirmation bias without all the dirty details.

Last edited:

CatLady

It's also a marketing analysis firm, like Michael Pachter, which have hedge fund clients they represent, just like Pachter does, which may or may not (If I am a betting man, I would say may) have hedge fund clients that have a vested interest in wanting to see this succeed for the stock payout. Which Pachter has those clients with investments on the market in this too, making it laughable when he is brought on TV like he's a neutral source.

Now give me the 'empathy' or 'laugh' react because you are latching onto confirmation bias without all the dirty details.

No different than you are doing and have been since this thread started.

feynoob

Fucking obviously. That has nothing to do what you're saying
It really does.
EU outlines the process of exclusivity clearly here.
"Case by cases from MS" goes here too with these process.

That is the entire of our argument.

MS won't take current and existing contract games away from PS or other store front.

However, future games are case by case, and process of assessment outlined in the document.

Topher

Gold Member
It's also a marketing analysis firm, like Michael Pachter, which have hedge fund clients they represent, just like Pachter does, which may or may not (If I am a betting man, I would say may) have hedge fund clients that have a vested interest in wanting to see this succeed for the stock payout. Which Pachter has those clients with investments on the market in this too, making it laughable when he is brought on TV like he's a neutral source.

It is a valid point to say that wall street type folks are probably hoping that this goes through. By default, these guys are going to be at odds with regulators. Think just about everyone will agree with that. Now if we they say is 100% accurate then that is fine, but a healthy amount of doubt is a good thing. Better to question, I think, than to assume truth.

feynoob

They are not. They even mention new generation games. What makes you think "Zenimax games" means specifically existing games. If it were referring to past games it would make no sense for next generation.
Eso and fo76 are ongoing Bethesda games.
Bethesda games that are released on PS won't be pulled away from PS store. They will be available for sale.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It is a valid point to say that wall street type folks are probably hoping that this goes through. By default, these guys are going to be at odds with regulators. Think just about everyone will agree with that. Now if we they say is 100% accurate then that is fine, but a healthy amount of doubt is a good thing. Better to question, I think, than to assume truth.
Could not agree more.

That's why people acting like every little piece of information coming out between yesterday and until August 2023 is a "win" need to chillax. This is going to be a long and messy road. I still think it will go through, with concessions. I have no faith in the unfettered global capitalism. But would be fine proven wrong as well.

No different than you are doing and have been since this thread started.
And what have I been doing exactly?

Last edited:
It really does.
EU outlines the process of exclusivity clearly here.
"Case by cases from MS" goes here too with these process.

That is the entire of our argument.

MS won't take current and existing contract games away from PS or other store front.

However, future games are case by case, and process of assessment outlined in the document.

The "case by case" statement isn't new. Phil said this while the acquisition was ongoing

The documentation I am using is them clarifying on that "case by case" point, and the conclusion was that "case by case" meant certain conditions that they claimed to be “improbable”

Last edited:

feynoob

Could not agree more.

That's why people acting like every little piece of information coming out between yesterday and until August 23rd is a "win" need to chillax. This is going to be a long and messy road. I still think it will go through, with concessions. I have no faith in the unfettered global capitalism. But would be fine proven wrong as well.
In order for this deal to actually Pass, it would need CMA. Not EU or FTC, but CMA.

If they shut it down, this deal is basically dead.
Both FTC and EU are in line with CMA.

feynoob

The "case by case" statement isn't new. Phil said this while the acquisition was ongoing

The documentation I am using is them clarifying on that "case by case" point, and the conclusion was that "case by case" meant certain conditions that they claimed to be “improbable”
Which is "new userbase" that the deal will bring to the ecosystem.
If those new users can offset those losses, then the game is exclusive. If not, then the game would be put on other devices to bring those potential loss revenue.

Last edited:

CatLady

Could not agree more.

That's why people acting like every little piece of information coming out between yesterday and until August 23rd is a "win" need to chillax. This is going to be a long and messy road. I still think it will go through, with concessions. I have no faith in the unfettered global capitalism. But would be fine proven wrong as well.

And what have I been doing exactly?
Really? Battling and defending every move or ridiculous statement Sony or Ryan makes. Clinging to any story or rumor that reflects positively for Sony while clinging and revelling in anything negative for Xbox and criticizing anything and everything Xbox/Phil/MS says or does.

Do you honestly not see your extreme Sony bias? I KNOW I'm biased for Xbox but I'm at least honest enough to admit it. You should have the guts to do the same and stop trying to pretend you're neutral.

feynoob

And Microsoft claimed the chances of that happening was "improbable", That would have meant, if they were actually being honest, new Zenimax games would come to PlayStation more often than they would not.
So far, we only have 2 games, which are Starfield (new game), and redfall.

While you can make a case about Starfield, it's still relatively new title. And redfall is redfall.

So far, MS is in line with EU here.

The issues however is fallout, and Elder scrolls. MS would have to justify for these 2. I can't make a case for them here. No way Xbox can cover the lost sales of these 2 games, which supports your argument.

Xbox needs to hit tons of userbase for that to happen.

So far, we only have 2 games, which are Starfield (new game), and redfall.

While you can make a case about Starfield, it's still relatively new title. And redfall is redfall.

So far, MS is in line with EU here.

The issues however is fallout, and Elder scrolls. MS would have to justify for these 2. I can't make a case for them here. No way Xbox can cover the lost sales of these 2 games, which supports your argument.

Xbox needs to hit tons of userbase for that to happen.

I look at it from the opposite point of view

Here's what Microsoft claimed they needed to justify exclusivity

Notifying Party submits that a hypothetical console exclusivity strategy would be profitable only if it led to an increase in the number of Xbox users [forecast million] over the next five years, corresponding to an increase in Xbox shipments [forecast percentage] above the forecast level

I think Elder Scrolls easily fits that bill. Maybe Starfield.

Redfall absolutely does not. It's a new IP from a dev that has been suffering from commerical flop after flop

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Really? Battling and defending every move or ridiculous statement Sony or Ryan makes. Clinging to any story or rumor that reflects positively for Sony while clinging and revelling in anything negative for Xbox and criticizing anything and everything Xbox/Phil/MS says or does.

Do you honestly not see your extreme Sony bias? I KNOW I'm biased for Xbox but I'm at least honest enough to admit it. You should have the guts to do the same and stop trying to pretend you're neutral.
I said both sides are playing the bullshit game. And have always said that, and you laughed at those posts in the past thinking MS is so noble in their venture and looking at it as "good vs evil."

While I am a capitalist by nature, I am against unfettered capitalism without checks and balances. I am looking at the big picture here with my opinion of what these mega corps will do, based on their storied history and their failures in the industry as well as what it will do to said industry.

I don't want any of the big 3 or 4 to own ABK (or any other of the top publishers), that's the rub. Yet there are those short term thinking people on teams who want it for other reasons.

This is no longer about Sony now that the FTC is going to attempt at least to masquerade for their past failures.

Last edited:

NickFire

Been a little while and still no official EU statement. Is this gonna turn out to be a statement from one person without authority like the guy who said he was fighting to keep COD on his PS?

I don’t know, but Microsoft giving COD away for ‘free’ is actually Sony’s biggest issue now that Microsoft has very publicly committed to keeping the franchise on PlayStation systems.

It’s also any sub service or future sub services biggest issue too as it would make GamePass unassailable.

MS won’t be giving away anything, they would include ABK portfolio to the Game Pass library, but Game Pass isn’t for free, it’s a paid service and it has a cost. You can’t expect MS to agree on concessions such as giving away CoD or any other ABK titles for free just because Sony says so, or in order to satisfy them, it makes no sense at all.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
That's nice, but it's odd you never call out Sony on their bullshit, only Xbox which is why I laugh at you blatantly transparent and biased postings. It's not a crime to be biased, but it's really annoying when you criticize others for being biased but try to pretend you aren't biased yourself.
I never said I didn't have any bias. We all do. And I have said this many times in the past.

I agree with the side that doesn't want a consolidation of the market into one big mega corp. 🤷‍♀️

2021:

2020:

Last edited:

feynoob

said both sides are playing the bullshit game. And have always said that, and you laughed at those posts in the past thinking MS is so noble in their venture and looking at it as "good vs evil."
If you support either sides, you won't be able to see past point view of a supporter.

I can laught at Sony attitude towards Nintendo console, but at least I can understand that losing Activision to MS has serious implications on their business. They have a lot to lose from this deal.

Both are clowns from their actions, but the consequences are real, and it's not pleasant.

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Microsoft didn't mislead EU over ZeniMax deal, watchdog says in response to US concerns

Microsoft didn't make any "commitments" to EU regulators not to release Xbox-exclusive content following its takeover of ZeniMax Media, the European Commission has said.

US enforcers yesterday suggested that the US tech giant had misled the regulator in 2021 and cited that as a reason to challenge its proposed acquisition of Activision Blizzard.

"The commission cleared the Microsoft/ZeniMax transaction unconditionally as it concluded that the transaction would not raise competition concerns," the EU watchdog said in an emailed statement.

The absence of competition concerns "did not rely on any statements made by Microsoft about the future distribution strategy concerning ZeniMax's games," said the commission, which itself has opened an in-depth probe into the Activision Blizzard deal and appears keen to clarify what happened in the previous acquisition.

The EU agency found that even if Microsoft were to restrict access to ZeniMax titles, it wouldn't have a significant impact on competition because rivals wouldn't be denied access to an "essential input," and other consoles would still have a "large array" of attractive content.

Funny sounds like the EC is calling the FTC out for lying and basically killing their argument for court.

If any of that is true the FTC case will die on its arse. It’s if any of that is true though

oldergamer

You said they tried to moneyhat every title at the start of this gen. You spun this rumour into more than it is.
I said third party titles. You know those games published by the third party publishers?? Stop trying to split hairs with the BS dude.

Last edited:

feynoob

I agree with the side that doesn't want a consolidation of the market into one big mega corp
Welcome to my side.

If this deal is approved, we will just watch the industry gets torn down by these big mega corps.
If the deal fails, we will laugh and enjoy our healthy gaming industry, while it lasts.

feynoob

Been a little while and still no official EU statement. Is this gonna turn out to be a statement from one person without authority like the guy who said he was fighting to keep COD on his PS?

They contacted EU representative. We are waiting update from them.

Last edited:

feynoob

Microsoft couldn't just stop at ZeniMax where nobody gave a real stink, they let that embolden them to move in on Activision, then Phil opened his mouth during the CMA regulation phases saying "they weren't going to stop at Activision."

SMH
MS wants to go ahead of other big boys.
This deal allows those boys to jump down, once it gets approved.
So they want to act fast as possible.

Google, apple, Facebook, Amazon, tencent are eyeing on this deal.

feynoob

I keep not understanding much despite lurking quite heavily, I guess this lawyer type English isn't really known for me. Makes me salty and embarrassed. Oh well I can do other things, I guess.

:messenger_pensive:
The deal is like this. Each info changes the direction.
close call GIF

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom